Who's Left Worth Going After & Trades

kw11habs

:hlogo: I like the idea of trading Souray & Perezhoggin for Zherdev. Then sign Danny Markov to replace Souray. As for who else is available as a UFA that might be usefull. I would like to see one of these 2 guys for depth on our 3rd & 4th lines, either B. Devereaux or J. Ruutu. Other then that the question is do we keep Ribiero or trade him and look for someone else to centre Zherdev & Kovalev. I think centering those 2 Rib's might finally have a break out year. I would like to see Ryder & Zednik shipped for a 2nd line RW to play with Koivu & Higgins ( Zednik can't finish and Ryder is to slow for that line not to mention a defense liability) either Shane Doan or Jamie Langenbrunner I would like to see. One last guy who might really play to his potential under this coaching staff is Victor Kozlov if he came cheap, maybe take him over Devereaux or Ruutu then you have a guy that could fill in on either of the top 2 lines.

We look like this for next season.

Ribs, Zherdev, Kovalev

Koivu, Higgins, ?Doan or Langenbrunner?

Plecanek, Kostistyn, ?Kozlov or Devereaux?

Bonk, Begin, Murray ( Downey) ? J. Ruutu ?

D-

Markov, Markov, Rivet, Komi, Bouillon, Dandenault (Streit & Cote)

G- Huet, Aebischer, Danis

:hlogo: I like the idea of trading Souray & Perezhoggin for Zherdev. Then sign Danny Markov to replace Souray. As for who else is available as a UFA that might be usefull. I would like to see one of these 2 guys for depth on our 3rd & 4th lines, either B. Devereaux or J. Ruutu. Other then that the question is do we keep Ribiero or trade him and look for someone else to centre Zherdev & Kovalev. I think centering those 2 Rib's might finally have a break out year. I would like to see Ryder & Zednik shipped for a 2nd line RW to play with Koivu & Higgins ( Zednik can't finish and Ryder is to slow for that line not to mention a defense liability) either Shane Doan or Jamie Langenbrunner I would like to see. One last guy who might really play to his potential under this coaching staff is Victor Kozlov if he came cheap, maybe take him over Devereaux or Ruutu then you have a guy that could fill in on either of the top 2 lines.

We look like this for next season.

Ribs, Zherdev, Kovalev

Koivu, Higgins, ?Doan or Langenbrunner?

Plecanek, Kostistyn, ?Kozlov or Devereaux?

Bonk, Begin, Murray ( Downey) ? J. Ruutu ?

D-

Markov, Markov, Rivet, Komi, Bouillon, Dandenault (Streit & Cote)

G- Huet, Aebischer, Danis

Why would NJ trade Langenbrunner after signing him to a multi-year contrct? Sometimes the best trade is the one not made and sometimes the best Free Agent is to be found in your own system.

Man, i got back from a 12-hour shift, expecting Gainey to have done at least SOMETHING...

Boy am I disappointed... He'd better be cooking up something good...

Why would NJ trade Langenbrunner after signing him to a multi-year contrct? Sometimes the best trade is the one not made and sometimes the best Free Agent is to be found in your own system .

Agreed to the hilt. The idea of getting a free agent 'cause that's the thing that 'needs to be done' isn't the best idea.

In his tenure in Montreal, Gainey's done pretty well. Probably the only deal that could be debatable, after a whole year, is the acquisition of Bonk. Then again, Bonk might blossom into the kind of player he was expected to be on a consistent basis in the coming season.

Like some other member of our 'family', In Bob we trust (in matters of the Canadiens, that is...)

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Actually the Bonk trade was super-awesome because we got Huet.

The only problem was that we actually re-signed Bonk. At his ridiculous salary demands.

" like the idea of trading Souray & Perezhoggin for Zherdev"

Yeah, really...well who doesn't? Maybe the entire Columbus organization that's what.

Amazing how some crap rumour made up at HTR gets spread around here...

Am I the only one that doesn't want to see Perezhogin go? This kid can FLY! His season was mediocore because he lacked a little confidence after being taken of the first trio. I think this will be his breakout season because the team will be open for rookies and more ice time.

And thib46... well said! :)

Am I the only one that doesn't want to see Perezhogin go? This kid can FLY! His season was mediocore because he lacked a little confidence after being taken of the first trio. I think this will be his breakout season because the team will be open for rookies and more ice time.

And thib46... well said! :)

I don't wanna see Zhogs gone... Kid's got some serious potential...

screw those UFA forwards... Arnott went for 4.5 Mil for sure Gainey at least offered him that! So Screw Him! I say lets not waste more money... and only pick up those that Truely wanna be Blue blanc and Rouge... The hell with them I say.... I'd even preffer to risk putting chipper and Tenderness in the big club rather than paying 5 Mil for 2nd line centremen

LEts save money and add bonuses to the Zednicks and Ribeiros if they wanna play show us and you'll be rewarded even.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF%$@*%$(^$)@

screw those UFA forwards... Arnott went for 4.5 Mil for sure Gainey at least offered him that! So Screw Him! I say lets not waste more money... and only pick up those that Truely wanna be Blue blanc and Rouge... The hell with them I say.... I'd even preffer to risk putting chipper and Tenderness in the big club rather than paying 5 Mil for 2nd line centremen

LEts save money and add bonuses to the Zednicks and Ribeiros if they wanna play show us and you'll be rewarded even.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF%$@*%$(^$)@

I think if you look at all the signings, most were overpaid in $$$$ or length of contract. Montreal is smart to only have a few players at 4-years. Plus the Koivu and Kovalev contracts do not seem all that high now considering how much some of the other guys signed for. The League is going down a very slippery slope again.

There are still some half decent centers available that may help the team. I am only confused with Gaineys statement for saying he is going after some of these free agents. I bet he meant the second tier guys which he should have elaberated on.

The rush for the best UFA's is over and the feeding frenzy caused many teams to overspend on good players. They added talent to their organization but some of them have severely restricted themselves for future cap room. I expect that the rest of the UFA's will not get as big a contracts and there are still some very good players available.

Another thing. I also expect many trades to happen in the coming weeks because of the free agents that were signed will cause teams to re-assess their line-ups and get more reasonable salary structures. i.e. New Jersey, Vancouver, Colorado and Toronto.

First off, if Gainey did go after Arnott, he probably was only willing to offer a 3 year deal. They 5 years that Nashville gave him was ridiculous and they'll be paying for that later. I will bet money now that in 3 to 4 years they are buying out his contract when he'd untradeable.

Secondly, Zherdev is not going anywhere. This kid is a special talent, and you don't just pick him up for Sheldon Souray and Alexander Perezhogin. At the very least you have to throw in a first round pick. But more likely you'd have to send a top 6 forward back the other way, and Columbus is looking to improve now and not stock up for the future.

Then you have to go out and sign another defensman, which apparently isn't the easiest thing to do.....look at the trouble Gainey had with Bouillon.

As for who is available right now in a trade? Who knows? Anybody is available. But by now it just seems that fans want a change for the sake of change.

Lets give Plekanec a chance to see if he can play 2nd line Center. He played very well last year and lets see if he can improve even more this year.

Chris Higgins scored 20 goals last year. Lets give him a chance at repeating those numbes of even improving on them. Perezhogin struggles at times, let give him a chance to see if he can be more consistant and maybe he can pot 15 or 20.

Andrei Kostitsyn is suppose to be the best talent in the Organization. Well its his year to prove it and lets hope he shines.

Ryder and Kovalev are capable 30 goal scorers. Lets hope Kovalev picks it up this year and does it.

Koivu needs to remain healthy and produce his 20 goals and 70+ points.

Souray and Markov are both capable of 10+ goals and 30 + points.

Why start trading these players for the sake of change and 'maybe' bringing in someone that 'might' help?

Lets leave the team alone and see how it goes for the first few months. If they're floundering, then maybe its time to make a move.

Lets not just make a trade because nothing has changed since last year. And I'm pretty sure thats what Gainey is going to do

It is plausible Souray will be traded if a decent return is offered since he is a UFA next year and will be lost for nothing. If the return is poor then they might as well keep him for their run.

It is plausible Souray will be traded if a decent return is offered since he is a UFA next year and will be lost for nothing. If the return is poor then they might as well keep him for their run.

Souray will not be dealt unless one of the following situations occur.

1) A team who signed a big time free agent defensman this summer, or who already has a big time defensman loses them for the duration of the season, thus are no threat to go over the salary. They need to replace this defensman and are looking for a guy who can play 25 + minutes and in all situations.

2) Its the trade deadline when major emphasis is put on defensman for the run to the playoffs.

both of these senarios would either require Montreal to be out of the playoff hunt and are looking towards next year, or Mark Streit or another unforseen defensman steps up and plays so well that it makes Sheldon Souray expendable.

Either way its highly unlikely Sheldon Souray is going anywhere anytime soon.

I read it somewhere yesterday that Montreal will go after a defenseman because Souray asked for a trade, and that money shouldn't be a problem considering the cap space and the fact Gillett just paid himself a 75$ Million dividend.

[edit]Found it:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Strac...647304-sun.html

"As an aside, it appears that Sheldon Souray wants to leave Montreal, so the Canadiens will be in the market for a defenceman as well. Money doesn't seem to be a problem in that part of the world since owner George Gillett paid himself a $72-million dividend."

Edited by fromage

I read it somewhere yesterday that Montreal will go after a defenseman because Souray asked for a trade, and that money shouldn't be a problem considering the cap space and the fact Gillett just paid himself a 75$ Million dividend.

[edit]Found it:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Strac...647304-sun.html

"As an aside, it appears that Sheldon Souray wants to leave Montreal, so the Canadiens will be in the market for a defenceman as well. Money doesn't seem to be a problem in that part of the world since owner George Gillett paid himself a $72-million dividend."

Just because Gillett paid hmself a dividend, doesn't mean that they have all the money in the world. People don't realize Montreal doesn't have all that much cap space. As for the Souray rumour's I don't believe them at all.

Edited by kaos

Are you telling me resigning all the RFA already ate up Theo's $5.5M contract + the cap increase?

Yes, thats exactly what I am saying. If Ryder, Higgins. Ribeiro, Aebischer, Komisarek, Perezhogin and anybody else I am forgetting all sign, Montreal will have a salary range of about $39 Million dollars.

Gainey has stated that they want to remain atleast $3 Million under the cap, so thats brings it to about $41 Million that they can spend.

Which player exactly is it, that Montreal can sign for $2 Million thats going to make everyone happy and make this team better.

And forget about trades, because Montreal has nothing to trade without stripping the team of its best assests....its youth.

So yes, Theo's salary gains which was only $2.9 Million when you figure in Aebischer, and the salary cap increase are history.

Yeah, and Huet's salary increased from 450,000 to 2.75M a year.

So whereas Theo's salary was 5.5M, the Huet/Aebischer combo will be about 4.9M. A savings of 600,000...factor in the RFA's looking for raises (Higgins, Komisarek and Ryder) and the team will be spending a lot more than last year just keeping the same bunch intact.

Plus they don't want to spend up to the 44M cap..

Not too mention that Koivu received more than a $1 Million dollar raise

Begin's salary increased by more than $ 400,000.

Bouillon got more than a $1 Million raise.

Ryder will get atleast $1 Million more.

Komisarek and Higgins will both reach about $1 Million.

Yep, that money is all gone.