About Next Year

GoHabs2002

I was dissappointed that Arnott didnt't sign with the Habs, but I'm glad we didn't sign him for 5 years. I was both excited and dissapointed that Elias didn't sign with us, but, again, glad that we didn't sign him for 7 years.

In both cases, I would think Gainey's financial offer was acceptable, but terms of the deals were the issue for the players. So now we have to move forward.

Three options: 1 - Trade a combo of Souray, Zednik, Abby for an offensive forward

2 - Sign Samsonov, Shanahan, Carter or Guering

3 - Make an offer to a RFA (like Bergeron from the Bruins, or Gaborik) and lose the next 5 first round picks.

I still feel very confident in our players.

Ribeiro: As much as I wanted Arnott, it's because I envisioned a Kovy-Ribs-Arnott line, where Arnott can be used for important face-offs. I was impressed with Ribeiro's on-ice intensity for most of the season and I have always appreciated his leadership with the media (he stood up for Theo when the media was all over him and he stood up for Kovy after Game 4 in the 2004 playoffs). I know it's hard to remember since he's been in and out of Habs' news since he was 19, but this will only be Ribeiro's third-year as full-time top 6 forward in the NHL. . Generally speaking, it's the third year that will dicated how a player will perform over his career.

Ryder: He can score. And as with Ribs, this will be his third year. Gainey has to decide if Ryder can consistently put up 25-35 goals or is he going to plateau at around 20-25 from now on. Ryder is hard-working but streaky and if one season he doesn't get the bounces to get on a streak, a potentially 35 goal season can quickly become a 20 goal season.

Souray-Rivet: One of them won't be back after this season. My bet would be Souray will be more likely to leave on his own will. His recent comments about professionally wanting to be in Montreal, but personally would like to be closer to his daughter tells me he'll be looking toward the Pacific-southwest region next summer. Do you trade him now for offense?

Or maybe offer up Markov, Kosty, and a 1st for Pronger. Next summer Markov will be asking for Kaberle/McCabe money and if he doesn't get it, he'll accept a 1-year deal to become a UFA in 2008. So if I was Gainey and Lowe was willing to accept this deal, I would think am I able to keep Markov for the next four years and a reasonable price? Because getting Pronger is getting a defensemen with a 4-year contract at a reasonable price.

Or wait till the Bruins dance near the Cap and throw a 5-year-21 million dollar offer to Patrice Bergeron; that comes out to 4.25m against the Cap. If the Bruins match it, it ties them up down the road, if they don't we get a speedy, creative, 20-year old whose good years are ahead of him. Whether he's worth it or not, you always have to be prepared to overpay a RFA if you're trying to steal him.

Gainey still has options and one of them being keeping status quo. It worked for the Hurricanes and Sabres. Ribeiro, Ryder are about to enter their prime. I see no reason why Pleks should regress, Kovelov always has potential for an 80-point season, Koivu same thing, Markov is our MVP skater. We have a good team.

In the new CBA, do we have to really give 1st round picks for RFA ? Isn't it like the NBA in which you don't have to compensate, but the team that owns the right can match the offers ?

In the new CBA, do we have to really give 1st round picks for RFA ? Isn't it like the NBA in which you don't have to compensate, but the team that owns the right can match the offers ?

From what I heard, the NHL and NHLPA did not change the compensation system for RFA offer sheets. It's been like this since '94 and I think it still is.

Under the new CBA, the compensation depends on the amount which the player signed for. The max compensation is 4 first round picks for a player who signes a contract worth more than $5 Million per year.

It gets reduced from there downwards, and I don't remember the compensation per dollar amount thereafter.

That's really a stupid rule IMO ... but the Salary Cap structure of the NHL isn't detailed enough to make a system like the NBA on RFA ...

So forget about targeting a RFA this summer (or ever for that matter).

That's really a stupid rule IMO ... but the Salary Cap structure of the NHL isn't detailed enough to make a system like the NBA on RFA ...

So forget about targeting a RFA this summer (or ever for that matter).

Its not stupid. It protects a team who did their homework drafting a player and who spent alot of time and money developing that player. it comepensates them justly.

It's stupid ... in the NBA it's way better and gives more opportunities to GMs. The team that has the rights to the players can still offer more or match any offers and can go over the cap to resign it's players ... but at least if you can attract a RFA to your club you don't give away your whole future.

It's stupid ... in the NBA it's way better and gives more opportunities to GMs. The team that has the rights to the players can still offer more or match any offers and can go over the cap to resign it's players ... but at least if you can attract a RFA to your club you don't give away your whole future.

I hate the NBA, the teams change completely every years, there is no loyalty, guys get picked up all the time, no consistency in any teams.

Thank God for the NHL and the RFA rules.

I hate the NBA, the teams change completely every years, there is no loyalty, guys get picked up all the time, no consistency in any teams.

Thank God for the NHL and the RFA rules.

I have a question? I would like to know if the teams will still have to go through the protection of players in September or did the new CBA do away with that foolishness? If a team no longer has to plan for the protection of players ritual it makes it easier for the GM to solidify his team. :(

I have a question? I would like to know if the teams will still have to go through the protection of players in September or did the new CBA do away with that foolishness? If a team no longer has to plan for the protection of players ritual it makes it easier for the GM to solidify his team. :(

No there is no more waiver draft. Of course, certain players do have to clear waivers to be sent to the minors.

Ribeiro: As much as I wanted Arnott, it's because I envisioned a Kovy-Ribs-Arnott line, where Arnott can be used for important face-offs. I was impressed with Ribeiro's on-ice intensity for most of the season and I have always appreciated his leadership with the media (he stood up for Theo when the media was all over him and he stood up for Kovy after Game 4 in the 2004 playoffs).

Are we talking about the same Mike Ribeiro who plays for the Habs? The same player who is scared of physical contact? The same one who only skates hard when it suits him? The same one who blamed Ryder for his lower assist total last season? The same one who picked a fight with his captain in practice? The same one who called out Koivu's leadership to the media? He only stood up for Theo because they are friends and he stood up for Kovalev because he was the first one to exaggerate an injury, but at least Kovy was actually in pain when he went down.

Next summer Markov will be asking for Kaberle/McCabe money and if he doesn't get it, he'll accept a 1-year deal to become a UFA in 2008.

As much as I love Markov and know he is generally underrated by the league, there is no way he can ask for Kaberle/McCabe kind of money. Those two guys were 3rd and 4th in the NHL in scoring among defensemen. Markov was 20th. Both of them had more PP assists than Markov had PP points. Kaberle did have the advantage of 15 more games played, but McCabe only played 6 more games. As much as it might not always make sense, scoring plays a huge role in how much a D-man gets paid. If there is a 2 million difference between McCabe and Kuba, then Markov ought to be right smack in the middle of those two, at 4 million.

I love how everyone thinks that Aebischer and Zednik have great trade value. They don't! Zednik is coming off a disaster of a year, it's better for Montreal to see if he actually he can produce. And as for Aebischer, well there's a whole bunch of goalies on the trade market not to mention Legace as a UFA.

I love how everyone thinks that Aebischer and Zednik have great trade value. They don't! Zednik is coming off a disaster of a year, it's better for Montreal to see if he actually he can produce. And as for Aebischer, well there's a whole bunch of goalies on the trade market not to mention Legace as a UFA.

Marc Denis just netted a 30 goal scorer. There are still teams out there who need a goalie. And though I don't understand why Legace gets no respect, but it seems like teams don't think he can be a #1 in the NHL. He seems like an excellent goalie to me, but Detroit obviously didn't think much of him and now nobody has signed him during the first 2 days of the market, despite the fact he seems to be the best goalie available.

Which teams?

Detroit needs a #1 goalie.

But which other team does?

St-Louis, Columbus and Florida are looking for experienced backups.

Martin Biron of Buffalo has requested a trade. The Sharks are looking to move either Vesa Toskala or Evgeny Nabokov. Vancouver has no use for Dan Cloutier. And of course Montreal could move Aebischer.

So a lot of options, but not that many buyers.

Which teams?

Detroit needs a #1 goalie.

But which other team does?

St-Louis, Columbus and Florida are looking for experienced backups.

Martin Biron of Buffalo has requested a trade. The Sharks are looking to move either Vesa Toskala or Evgeny Nabokov. Vancouver has no use for Dan Cloutier. And of course Montreal could move Aebischer.

So a lot of options, but not that many buyers.

Totally agree. And all things considered, if I could have any goalie, I'd take Biron out of Buffalo.

Are we talking about the same Mike Ribeiro who plays for the Habs? The same player who is scared of physical contact? The same one who only skates hard when it suits him? The same one who blamed Ryder for his lower assist total last season? The same one who picked a fight with his captain in practice? The same one who called out Koivu's leadership to the media? He only stood up for Theo because they are friends and he stood up for Kovalev because he was the first one to exaggerate an injury, but at least Kovy was actually in pain when he went down.

I know Ribeiro's faults and what people criticize him about, but I would still give him one more shot with Kovelov straight from training camp with a consistent winger to their left and see what he can do. We saw with a consistent line in 03-04 he can put up 60 odd points and one of the wingers was Dags.

Are there better options in the league? definitely. But you'll have to give up other assets in return, meanwhile you have a guy here who wants to play in Montreal, loves to play in front of the crowd, likes the pressure here, can communicate well with the media and is still maturing.

Briere broke out when he was 25, the least we can do is give Ribs his third year of full-time duties and show us what he can do. When people talk of Habs players still developing, he should be in that category. Maybe in talent he's done developing, but in terms of psyche, work ethic and maturity (all important factors) he is just as much developing as the other younger players.