Bob Still Shopping ?

Theberge43

I know, I know ... Eklund is crap, but I like seeing that BG is still working a little.

Bill Guerin- Montreal (e2) and Nashville (e3)..longshots: florida and philly

Mike Peca- The Islanders will get him in the end I believe (e3), but Montreal, Detroit and Dallas are all trying

Yanic Perreault- The Flyers (e2), the Lightning (e3) and the Habs (e1)

Guerin would have to be very very cheap for me to endorse ...

I like Peca, but can he be a 2nd C ?

Perreault back in MTL ? I don't think so ...

Shanahan is still the best option IMO ... no mention of him in Eklund last post.

Shanahan- The Blues (e2) the Leafs (e1) and the Flyers (e1)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*snort* Perreault! Yeah right! Maybe we'll get Brisebois back from Colorado too....lol.

Peca, Guerin not bad options but I highly highly doubt that.

Eklund's back to making up crap, for a while on Saturday he was actually getting good scoops on the latest signings..

I think he meant RDS.... but anyway.. i was looking at Hrdina last night... either him or Peca would make a good 3rd line center. Then Plex can move up to second. And then either Shanahan, Carter, or either Markov or Spacek to round out the D.

:hlogo:

What is RIS? I've never heard of it until this summer.

RIS is associated to RDS, it gives constant updates all day ... it's kinda like CTVNewsnet for CTV or RDI for Radio-Canada, etc.

I think he meant RDS.... but anyway.. i was looking at Hrdina last night... either him or Peca would make a good 3rd line center. Then Plex can move up to second. And then either Shanahan, Carter, or either Markov or Spacek to round out the D.

:hlogo:

RIS is a spinoff of RDS. It stands for Réseau d'Informations Sportives or something similar. It's RDS' news-only channel.

RIS reports that these guys should get offers from Montreal:

Jan Hrdina, Bill Guerin, Mike Peca and Brendan Shanahan.

I like Hrdina and Shanahan. Peca is kind of tired and Guerin will probably want too much money.

I hope Gainey was trying to sign the free agents but Im beginning to see the habs in the same light like the Expos. No one wants to come here. Pronger was traded to Anaheim, Chara gone Jovo gone- We have money to spend and no one will come. Did that attack on Koivu by the French media turn everyone off?

Edited by Strummerman

I like Hrdina and Shanahan. Peca is kind of tired and Guerin will probably want too much money.

I don't thin Geurin would want too much money. Probablyt 1.5-2 plus bonuses. Forget Hrdina. Peca could be interesting depending the price tag.

media turns players away, but so does high prices and the difficulties for an Anglophone living in a French society.

But I think that there are other restrictions such as Gainey refusing to sacrifice our future for short-term gains.

Has anyone heard thr rumor of going after V. Suchy. The same rumor had philly also looking for a goalie and Aebi is on there list. I don't know much about the rumor sites, so i don't know how accuratw they are.

Forget Hrdina, he is a very soft player, i would rather have Roenick then Hrdina.

the difficulties for an Anglophone living in a French society.

I wouldnt want any player stupid enough to fall for such a bloated myth in an Habs uniform.

"Difficulties"?

Please... How f***king difficult can it be for a millionnaire Anglo to live in a widely bilingual, multi-ethnic, international metropolis such as Montreal? There's a few users on HW who are Anglophone living in Montreal; I'd like to know if they think they're having it so hard in the "French society" they'd prefer to live in Nashville.

If anything, its 100 times more difficult for a Francophone than an Anglophone. At least Anglophones dont have the medias and fans on their ass 24/7.

No offense to our Nashvillian friends, but I strongly doubt Arnott chose the Preds over the Habs because he thought his quality of life would be so much better in Nashville than in the "French society of Montreal"...

All these pseudo-facts and excuses to explain why UFAs dont want to come to Montreal are getting somewhat annoying and distracting people from the real reasons: they got offered better contracts elsewhere. More money for more years.

And might I add: thank God. Playing for the Montreal Canadiens, the most storied franchise in History and the Mecca of Hockey; should still be something any hockey player should dream to do during his NHL career. Call me idealistic, but if a free agent prefers to skip that opportunity and play in a hockey hotbed like Nashville, Anaheim or Carolina because their sole motive is money; than by all means let them go elsewhere.

I'll take a young, hungry, kid whose proud and posessed by the whole Habs mystique like Chipchura or Latendresse over a 32-yrs old mercenary who cares only about his wallet any day.

Simply put: any UFA is only worth anything if they sign with the Habs. High taxes or anything else are just self-excusing cope-outs.

Edited by KoZed

It has more to do with the financial side than the media pressure or the quality of life in the city, whether you're anglophone, European or francophone. There's no flood of francophone clamoring at their agent's office door trying to get a contract from Montreal either. The province of Quebec has the highest personal tax rates in either country. It takes strategic financial advisors to keep as much of their money in the player's pocket as possible.

Then there's also the fact that this team is still shaking the past. They are trying to erase the mistakes of the recent past, with limited success. Play on the ice does more to attract or dissuade free agents from coming to Montreal. A couple of 7th place finishes and a first-round upset isn't going to open a lot of closed eyes in the market. It's going to take either a top-four conference seeding, a run at the Northeast or a long cup run, at least conference finals, before the big name free agents will look at Montreal like they once did.

And finally, there's the possibilty that some guys are just talking a good game. Some guys can't play under the pressure that certain cities have, whether it's the NHL or any pro sport. Pierre Turgeon was an elite level player when Montreal got him, and he couldn't wait to get out of town. They may say they want that pressure and the focus on them on a regular basis, that it makes them better players, but they may not realize how heavy that pressure is until it squeezing them, and then they can't handle it. So they'd rather not take that chance, and go somewhere else.

All these pseudo-facts and excuses to explain why UFAs dont want to come to Montreal are getting somewhat annoying and distracting people from the real reasons: they got offered better contracts elsewhere. More money for more years.

And might I add: thank God. Playing for the Montreal Canadiens, the most storied franchise in History and the Mecca of Hockey; should still be something any hockey player should dream to do during his NHL career.

You are right about players getting more money and longer contracts elsewhere. That is the real reason for a free agent signed elsewhere.

Unfortunately Montreal's history means NOTHING to many players now, it's all about the money. (See this years free agents $$$ and contracts)

I find my French brothers have to stop this self defeating attitude that nobody loves their city and province. Far from the case as Quebec is an important part of Canada and one of our founding Provinces. There is nothing bad about wanting to play in Montreal outside of maybe taxes and that insane Media. Most self respecting Ontario born English players will never wear a Maple Leaf jersey as the Media and Fans just suck. Even superstar Gretzky had opportunities but never wanted to play for T-Dot.

Free agents will sign in Montreal, they have in the past and they will in the future.

Well I happen to like Eklund. Even if some of his rumors never come to fruition, he still seems like a decent guy with a bunch of contacts.

Seriously, it could get a lot worse

(i.e., FORSBERG, THORNTON AND SUNDIN INVOLVED IN THREEWAY TRADE! e2.1833333 RATING!!!)

I wouldnt want any player stupid enough to fall for such a bloated myth in an Habs uniform.

"Difficulties"?

Please... How f***king difficult can it be for a millionnaire Anglo to live in a widely bilingual, multi-ethnic, international metropolis such as Montreal? There's a few users on HW who are Anglophone living in Montreal; I'd like to know if they think they're having it so hard in the "French society" they'd prefer to live in Nashville.

If anything, its 100 times more difficult for a Francophone than an Anglophone. At least Anglophones dont have the medias and fans on their ass 24/7.

No offense to our Nashvillian friends, but I strongly doubt Arnott chose the Preds over the Habs because he thought his quality of life would be so much better in Nashville than in the "French society of Montreal"...

And might I add: thank God. Playing for the Montreal Canadiens, the most storied franchise in History and the Mecca of Hockey; should still be something any hockey player should dream to do during his NHL career. Call me idealistic, but if a free agent prefers to skip that opportunity and play in a hockey hotbed like Nashville, Anaheim or Carolina because their sole motive is money; than by all means let them go elsewhere.

I'll take a young, hungry, kid whose proud and posessed by the whole Habs mystique like Chipchura or Latendresse over a 32-yrs old mercenary who cares only about his wallet any day.

Simply put: any UFA is only worth anything if they sign with the Habs. High taxes or anything else are just self-excusing cope-outs.

Well then explain to me why Montrreal can only sign somebody like Kovalev who may have felt guilty cause they traded for him. Montreal has the money and Gainey stated after the season ended he would go after free agents. Some teams can not sign free agents like Tampa Bay because of the cap. Canadians can. Why did Jovo go to a mediocre team like the Coyotes instead of a team with a lot of potential like the habs. There is no doubt he preferred Phoenix to Montreal. Frankly Phoenix aint that hot except for the weather. However why would Jovo come here so he can be treated second class by the Montreal french media for being an anglophone??? Look at the attacks on Ryder by the RDS announcing crew even though he was the Habs top scorer.

You are right about players getting more money and longer contracts elsewhere. That is the real reason for a free agent signed elsewhere.

Unfortunately Montreal's history means NOTHING to many players now, it's all about the money. (See this years free agents $$$ and contracts)

I find my French brothers have to stop this self defeating attitude that nobody loves their city and province. Far from the case as Quebec is an important part of Canada and one of our founding Provinces. There is nothing bad about wanting to play in Montreal outside of maybe taxes and that insane Media. Most self respecting Ontario born English players will never wear a Maple Leaf jersey as the Media and Fans just suck. Even superstar Gretzky had opportunities but never wanted to play for T-Dot.

Free agents will sign in Montreal, they have in the past and they will in the future.

Montreal has the money after they traded Theo. They can sign someone to 6-7 million. They dont want to come here period.

Montreal has the money after they traded Theo. They can sign someone to 6-7 million. They dont want to come here period.

Frankly, Strummerman, I think that Bob is simply not offering as much money as his brain dead compatriots. I mean Arnot for five years at 22.5 mil ????!!! He's 35 and he was never blindingly fast. The Preds have bought themselves an altrabos. Same as Hal-- the pylon-- Gill in Toronto. Bob will make a move if it makes sense for the club. Remember, Carolina didnt sign many FA's last year and they had the flexibility at the trade deadline to make the moves that put them over the top