Bob Still Shopping ?

Theberge43

However why would Jovo come here so he can be treated second class by the Montreal french media for being an anglophone??? Look at the attacks on Ryder by the RDS announcing crew even though he was the Habs top scorer

Oh puuuuh-leeze.

"Excuse me M. Gainey. I can't accept your generous contract offer. Although it is better than any other offer I've received, I must decline because the RDS guys are meanies."

Francos players dont want to sign in Montreal because they get too much attention; and Anglos dont want to sign because they dont get enough attention. So what now? Only Euros will want to sign with us because they dont give a crap about the medias, is that what it comes down to?

I guess we're really screwed now, uh?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh puuuuh-leeze.

"Excuse me M. Gainey. I can't accept your generous contract offer. Although it is better than any other offer I've received, I must decline because the RDS guys are meanies."

Francos players dont want to sign in Montreal because they get too much attention; and Anglos dont want to sign because they dont get enough attention. So what now? Only Euros will want to sign with us because they dont give a crap about the medias, is that what it comes down to?

I guess we're really screwed now, uh?

You wish euros would sign here witness Elias Kubina etc. No anglos do get attention here. If they make a mistake they are crucified by the french media. Even Doug Gilmour was attacked by the French media here. I am sure that many players will sign for less with another team. Yes we are screwed and we have to build this team on draft choices and trades which in reality is how championship teams are built. Forget the Free agents they wont come here . We may get the dregs. Damn Rucchin signed with Atlanta

Frankly, Strummerman, I think that Bob is simply not offering as much money as his brain dead compatriots. I mean Arnot for five years at 22.5 mil ????!!! He's 35 and he was never blindingly fast. The Preds have bought themselves an altrabos. Same as Hal-- the pylon-- Gill in Toronto. Bob will make a move if it makes sense for the club. Remember, Carolina didnt sign many FA's last year and they had the flexibility at the trade deadline to make the moves that put them over the top

I agree that a lot of free agents are a waste of money. However, Pronger Chara Jovo could have been the exception. Don't forget Carolina signed Stillman and Hedican

As I scroll through the UFA list, I can't help but cringe at the site of many solid players that Montreal could've used that had signed with other clubs. I hope to god Bob does something to help this team because Boston is much improved with Chara and their other big signings and if we want to compete we gotta bring in some skilled players.

As I scroll through the UFA list, I can't help but cringe at the site of many solid players that Montreal could've used that had signed with other clubs. I hope to god Bob does something to help this team because Boston is much improved with Chara and their other big signings and if we want to compete we gotta bring in some skilled players.

This Montreal team will be much improved with the experience that Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Murray and Komisarek all gained by playing full time last year as well as the experience gained in the playoffs.

The team will be improved by having their best prospect, Andrei Kostitsyn, available to add offence to the lineup.

THis team will be better by having a better overall centreman (Plekanec), playing 2nd line centre.

This team will be better by having the majority of the team, minus Bulis and Sundstrom back, which means the chemistry wasn't messed with too much.

This team will be better. Will Boston, Toronto, the Islanders, and Tampa and other be better? Most definitley, they spent some money and it would be hard for Boston to be as bad as they were last year.

This team will be better, and doesn't need any costly free agent additions.

I was thinking that Jovo. didn't sign here because of THe GREzt. in phoenix?

But I would LOVE to see SHANNY in a :hlogo: uni. it would be just as great as seeing DOUGGY in the"blue blanc et rouge".

Doug Gilmour was a superb habs. His intensity in that playoff was just remarkable.

Oh and simply put it comes down to dollars and cents. And to the guy talking about Jovonoaski, where have you ever heard of Montreal offering him big money? It's as simple as this: Gainey isn't offering the dough, so the free agents aren't coming. Got nothing to do with francophones, anglophones, allophones....

I hope we didn't loose out on some of the guys on UFA list because BG didn't offer the MONEY cuz that would suck as hard as est end hooker trying to get her next fix.

Doug Gilmour was a superb habs. His intensity in that playoff was just remarkable.

Oh and simply put it comes down to dollars and cents. And to the guy talking about Jovonoaski, where have you ever heard of Montreal offering him big money? It's as simple as this: Gainey isn't offering the dough, so the free agents aren't coming. Got nothing to do with francophones, anglophones, allophones....

I have to agree. It's been apparent from the beginning that Gainey's plan was to build from within. When other teams are taking part in a feeding frenzy (draft deadline, and free agent time), Bob lays low... and uses the opportunity to unload his undesirables (Theo). This approach isn't very sexy, but we have a young group who are growing as a team together, and I'm confident we'll see good things come of it.

I know, I know ... Eklund is crap, but I like seeing that BG is still working a little.

Guerin would have to be very very cheap for me to endorse ...

I like Peca, but can he be a 2nd C ?

Perreault back in MTL ? I don't think so ...

Shanahan is still the best option IMO ... no mention of him in Eklund last post.

I don't want any of the remaining UFA

I still prefer the Lang-Zednik speculations.

I don't want any of the remaining UFA

I still prefer the Lang-Zednik speculations.

I think that getting rid of dead wood such as zednik would be GREAT,

but Shanny in a Habs uniform is still to me a SUPER SOLDIER with the teamof my heart

Remember, Carolina didnt sign many FA's last year and they had the flexibility at the trade deadline to make the moves that put them over the top

:blink:

They signed Cory Stillman, Ray Whitney, and Oleg Tverdovsky. That's 3 more than we've signed, so its not a fair comparison now is it.. :lol:

A more reasonable one might be Buffalo. But they too acquired Teppo Numminen and Toni Lydman.

He's still with Carolina, just became their 7th D in the playoffs.

A wishful UFA thought: Eric Daze, the 6'6 235lb. power forward, hometown of Montreal, Quebec. Never has scored less than 20 goals in any season with the exception of a 19 game season in 03/04. 4 30 goal+ seasons.

Reality check: "Eric Daze may never play again because of his ongoing back injuries, according to the Chicago Sun-Times."

"Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon said in a radio interview a few weeks ago the Daze's career is over and at this point he'll be lucky if he can manage his pain for the rest of his life."

Sad. Was a great player. Could have been a great hometown hero for the Habs.

would The Habs take a chance though,

because of his back?????

just sign him to see if he can come back

Edited by ehjay

I was originally thinking like you guys, "oh man they won't come to Montreal, media-taxes-language! OMG-OMG-OMG!"

Look at this year, and thank Brian on this one, who has signed a reasonable offer?

One guy, Patrick Lalime. Everyone is OVERPAID. OVERPAID. OVERPAID. Too long and too much money.

It's all about the all-mighty dollar bill at the end of the day. It's plain and simple. While I do agree that the language, media and taxes do play a minor role, that's all forgotten when the cash is thrown right at you.

I don't think Bob will fork out big longterm contracts to players who are pretty much a hit or a miss (Arnott). The only guy he gave a big contract was to Elias but apparently he was just a freakin' tease because he wanted to stay in Jersey all along.

edit: Don't believe me? Look at this, thank Brian again on this one.

Might not be NHL but it's the same concept.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2508742

See how he took a few extra million to play for a 500 team instead of staying with a championship winning team?

Well, who says he gave Elias a big offer? RDS? Who are also claiming he's given offers to Jan Hrdina and Brendan Shanahan?

If you notice something on all the articles relating to Elias' signing, the only other offer mentioned is that of Chicago offering more dough (7.5M per year).

We don't know that he's even making offers..

in fact I'd bet he merely inquired with Elias' agent as to what his asking price was. Which is something virtually every other team with sufficient cap space did.

Eklund is saying this morning that MTL is making a big push at Shanahan. Good news if true ... but he seems to think BOS is in the driver seat right now.

Edited by Theberge43

I'd love to have Shanahan here - but I dont believe that Gainey's offering him much.

I'm tired of hearing all these rumors that turn out to be baseless. People claiming that Arnott's a lock, then RDS claiming Elias is "very close"....it's all just mere speculation and for the most part made up.

Numbers were not released but the offer had to be good enough to make Elias sto and think for a second if Montreal would be a good option for him.

(pssssst it was rumored to be around 7 million a season)

I'd love to have Shanahan here - but I dont believe that Gainey's offering him much.

I'm tired of hearing all these rumors that turn out to be baseless. People claiming that Arnott's a lock, then RDS claiming Elias is "very close"....it's all just mere speculation and for the most part made up.

Well no one is ever a lock ... but Arnott probably got an offer from Bob but not for 5 years !

Elias got an offer but in the end took less to go back to the Devils.

Shanahan probably has an offer, but in the end he has to accept it.