Faith In Ribeiro

KoZed

The way I see it, when Arnott was signed by Atlanta and the UFA center position was dry Ribeiro was signed. Bob knows we lack the position so he'd might as well go with him is the logic I figure. And, maybe Bob challenged him in a lot of ways. This is a theory. He was willing to give him that contract but ask that he give 110% all the time instead of when he's in the mood.

That's all that really has to change. We have all seen him burrow around defencemen. He can drive hard to the net. Even evade an experienced D's check and getting the puck to the slot. He can do the job. But, he's gotta show up more. Not once or twice every 5 games. But 3 or 4. Hence, the contract and maybe the challenge.

Many people criticise the contract but do we ever know what's going on behind the scenes?

I think he'll make that transition. He's fighting for another contract and he must want to silence his critics.

My faith in Ribeiro is limited to the jury still being out on him. This question will be answered this season.

Go Ribs!

Go Habs!

:hlogo:

You're very right there.

He has playmaking talent but we hope, as I'm sure the management is also, that Ribeiro does what he's able to do.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Shortcat, You brought up a juicy post lol.

Yea Ribiero is the odd man out on this team...This year not to bad since we have a lot more talent, But i rather have someone els lol. Mainly all im going to say because we all heard the same things multipul times.

Hey Shortcat, You brought up a juicy post lol.

Yea Ribiero is the odd man out on this team...This year not to bad since we have a lot more talent, But i rather have someone els lol. Mainly all im going to say because we all heard the same things multipul times.

Thanks... orange you glad that I could help?

I listened the interview with Miss Robitaille and I was quite impressed with what she was saying about Mike. First, her power skating school is well reknown in the Q (My son will attend a full camp next week in my Hometown in Rivière-du-Loup, so i'll be able to judge by myself, maybe Mike will be there...). She was approached by Bob Perno, Mike's agent. At first, she wasn't sure what to expect from Mike regarding his attitude towards the task. The first session went well. But it got even better the 3 others sessions cause Mike felt that it could really help him a lot and that he could really get much better in his skating abilities. He told Miss Robitaille that in the past he was only counting on his hockey skills. But in the new NHL, the new players that are coming skate much faster and better than him and if he want to pursue further in his career, he has to do something about his skating. She said that she is impressed with Mike' progress. They have one more session (Yesterday) this week, and Mike requested more sessions with her school after next week's camp in my Hometown. I don't know but it looks like Mike is having a real change of attitude regarding his career. He's no more taking Hockey for granted. Let's wait and see at the training camp in september. :hlogo:

Thanks... orange you glad that I could help?

Always :hlogo: :lol:

I listened the interview with Miss Robitaille and I was quite impressed with what she was saying about Mike. First, her power skating school is well reknown in the Q (My son will attend a full camp next week in my Hometown in Rivière-du-Loup, so i'll be able to judge by myself, maybe Mike will be there...). She was approached by Bob Perno, Mike's agent. At first, she wasn't sure what to expect from Mike regarding his attitude towards the task. The first session went well. But it got even better the 3 others sessions cause Mike felt that it could really help him a lot and that he could really get much better in his skating abilities. He told Miss Robitaille that in the past he was only counting on his hockey skills. But in the new NHL, the new players that are coming skate much faster and better than him and if he want to pursue further in his career, he has to do something about his skating. She said that she is impressed with Mike' progress. They have one more session (Yesterday) this week, and Mike requested more sessions with her school after next week's camp in my Hometown. I don't know but it looks like Mike is having a real change of attitude regarding his career. He's no more taking Hockey for granted. Let's wait and see at the training camp in september. :hlogo:

I like what i just read :D :king:

I'm about to cry!

Of Joy that is!

I remember reading similar things about Dagenais, like how he showed up at rookie camp before the lockout to work on his skating. I thought his attitude about the game had changed, but unfortunately it didn't Such a good shot gone to waste.

I think he has the talen. I would like to see the effort. These reports of his off season training seems to show the effort. At least the understanding that he needs to get better. Skeptical but hopeful.

Too true, h, too true.

I'd still think he's playing about 10-15 lbs lighter than he could. If he could increase his upper body strength, he'd be better in the corners and maybe wouldn't get bounced off his checks as much. And by adding weight to his upper body, it shouldn't affect his skating negatively. If he's taking power skating, maybe adding some muscle in his legs will help in that area as well.

I'd still think he's playing about 10-15 lbs lighter than he could. If he could increase his upper body strength, he'd be better in the corners and maybe wouldn't get bounced off his checks as much. And by adding weight to his upper body, it shouldn't affect his skating negatively. If he's taking power skating, maybe adding some muscle in his legs will help in that area as well.

He already added about 10/15 lbs of muscle from his junior weight (was barely 160 lbs). I wonder how much more he can add. Its a bell curve. Too much can become detrimental.

Not trying to compare Ribs to anyone or even get my hopes up too high, but I remember that after Bob Gaineys's first or second year with the Habs, he went to one of those power skating schools in the summer, and the change in his stride that year was extremely noticeable. It just complimented his tremendous work ethic to make him the HOFer he turned out to be.

To be fair, both Ribs and Ryder dissapear in those playoffs. Their inexperience really showed back then, but it is common for guys who get their first good regular seasons to struggle in the playoffs.

i have to disagree with you in saying that ryder disappeared in the playoffs. they won two games, and if i remember correctly, ryder scored 2 game-winning goals.

• 1 month later...

We all make mistakes, without exception.

I really hope Ribs starts living up to his potential. This is a golden opportunity for him.

multi autem sunt vocati pauci vero electi (Matthieu 22:14)

These days talent alone is not enough.

Ribeiro hasn't given us any reason to believe he'll be any better this season than last. What has he shown in preseason? NOt much. With the money he was given, $1.9 Million, he should be showing us alot more. That Kovalev, Samsonov Ribeiro line should be clicking. I mostly blame Riberio. He's not fast or good enough to play with those guys.

I'm quite sure he'll put up 50 to 55 pts. But ultimatley we'll be left wanting more. He won't be in Montreal next year

I don't think body weight is Ribs problem. His biggest problems are mental..his lack of effort, his mouthing off to the media about fellow players, his poor defence..his diving..I could go on. He has all the skill he needs to be a top 2 centre, but I fear he will never become the player he could be. He has gotten where he is based on pure talent, has never had to work as much as some other players, and sadly, it shows. He'll be out of NHL hockey in 2 or 3 years, I predict. I really hope I'm totally wrong, and Ribs explode with a great year, but I won't hold my breath.

He'll be out of NHL hockey in 2 or 3 years

Ur kidding right? I can think of a lot of skinny europeans who don't care that are worse than ribs who are still in the league