Read This - Hickey On Montreal And Ufas

Yep, that's the way it is. Language is NUMERO UNO.

Gotta love those taxes.

The hell with the Habs.

And the Francophone media won't stop - EVER.

Great, at least Montrealers can read about the latest non french speaking habs - It's a BIG SELLER!

Reporting championships - who needs that? We need to talk language!

Actually, let;'s get it over with and rename them "Les Habitants"

Canadiens? Yes it describes "French Canadians" but then there's that blasted "Canada" thing.

"Les Habitants"

Go LC Go

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I never thought language was that big a deal,

espessialy for players with kids, since they would pick up a new languge(the kid(s)) and that Montreal is anglophone on the west side of the island, and anyway doesn't the "charity" work the Habs players do count towards tax breaks?????

I'm starting to think it is a conspirasy against the most winning team that has bought all of their last championship (unlike the Yankees, sory to NYY baseball fans), made by the Toronto Leafs org.

And yes you can blame the Toronto Sports Network (in short TSN) as well if you wish.

Edited by ehjay

What is up with the English School thing?

If I had kids and wanted them to go into an English school and was told no, then I would be saying Sorry Bob cannot sign with you. This would be a huge factor for some free agents. Living in the city of Montreal would be cool for me (Als, Habs, nightlife) but for some, maybe not.

If I had kids and wanted them to go into an English school and was told no, then I would be saying Sorry Bob cannot sign with you. This would be a huge factor for some free agents. Living in the city of Montreal would be cool for me (Als, Habs, nightlife) but for some, maybe not.

You can bypass the whole french school thing by sending them to private school,

isn't that what they the players and all rich people do anyway, hell J. parrizeau did!!!!!!!!

I never thought language was that big a deal,

espessialy for players with kids, since they would pick up a new languge(the kid(s)) and that Montreal is anglophone on the west side of the island, and anyway doesn't the "charity" work the Habs players do count towards tax breaks?????

I'm starting to think it is a conspirasy against the most winning team that has bought all of their last championship (unlike the Yankees, sory to NYY baseball fans), made by the Toronto Leafs org.

And yes you can blame the Toronto Sports Network (in short TSN) as well if you wish.

Blaming TSN is a general signature. It has no meaning in relation to one specific event. It's sort of like, "Blame Bush". It's the flavour of the times to blame him.

So, why not TSN?

About the LC, I'm being sarcastic. I just am sick and tired of this particular issue emerging again and again.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Well, the school issue would only affect some UFAs. If you were taught in English in Canada, your children have a right to be taught in the English public school system in Quebec. But francophones, Americans, and Europeans don't have that right under Quebec's Bill 101.

The logic of restricting access to English schools is that immigrants to Quebec, in particular, will flock to the English system and that, since francophones aren't replacing themselves through birthrates, that would eventually lead to Quebec's becoming an English-speaking place.

I actually support the law, but I think the government should be much more relaxed about permitting EXCEPTIONS to it as the case warrants. If you're a hockey player, you might only be in Montreal for three or four years (or less)...imagine how badly it would f**k up your child if she suddenly had to start going to french school when she can't speak a word of French.

On the other hand...anyone in Quebec has the right to send their kid to PRIVATE schools in any language they want. And something tells me these hockey players can afford to pay for private schools. ;)

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Blaming TSN is a general signature. It has no meaning in relation to one specific event. It's sort of like, "Blame Bush". It's the flavour of the times to blame him.

So, why not TSN.

About the LC, I'm being sarcastic. I just am sick and tired of this particular issue emerging again and again.

well I'm sorry if my puter illitere self didn't figure that out.

Thanks for informing me, I still don't understand why my puter won't display new messages as they come up :?-

It's dollars and cents, plain and simple.

I'm pretty sure that BG isn't offering all that much less money to players then other teams do.

From what he offered Saku I think he may at par if not over.

Well, the school issue would only affect some UFAs. If you were taught in English in Canada, your children have a right to be taught in the English public school system in Quebec. But francophones, Americans, and Europeans don't have that right under Quebec's Bill 101.

The logic of restricting access to English schools is that immigrants to Quebec, in particular, will flock to the English system and that, since francophones aren't replacing themselves through birthrates, that would eventually lead to Quebec's becoming an English-speaking place.

I actually support the law, but I think the government should be much more relaxed about permitting EXCEPTIONS to it as the case warrants. If you're a hockey player, you might only be in Montreal for three or four years (or less)...imagine how badly it would f**k up your child if she suddenly had to start going to french school when she can't speak a word of French.

On the other hand...anyone in Quebec has the right to send their kid to PRIVATE schools in any language they want. And something tells me these hockey players can afford to pay for private schools. ;)

Thanks.

I had no idea what this was all about. I support private schools as they are a good solution for just this such issue. My ignorance of this might be shared with many Free Agent hockey players and I hope the Habs have pointed this out. (We never know what goes on in meetings)

Thanks.

I had no idea what this was all about. I support private schools as they are a good solution for just this such issue. My ignorance of this might be shared with many Free Agent hockey players and I hope the Habs have pointed this out. (We never know what goes on in meetings)

Well, ignorance probably does go a long way. Imagine if Bob had to sit down and explain this stuff to you while you're considering, say, three or four serious offers from other clubs - you'd probably just shake your head out of sheer befuddlement and go with one of the other guys.

On the other hand, we shouldn't forget that there IS an element of anti-Quebec, anti-French prejudice out there, just as there is an anti-English streak running through elements of the French media. Many English Canadians have hysterical ideas about what it's like to be a Quebec anglophone and some of that bullshit probably seeps into the NHL. Rather like the idea of moving to an African-American neighbourhood for a WASP Middle-American, the thought of moving to Quebec sometimes makes English North Americans 'nervous.' (Lindros, anyone?) Too bad - it's their loss.

Who cares about school and stuff. Bob needs to sign some players. We are not a better team than we were last year(even with some departures) and we need some Saku insurance(in case the eye isn't 100%) and I hope Bob knows what he's doing. If he thinks waiting will be better to grab a guy from a team that needs to get under the cap(NJ) then I will assume that Habs management is there for a reason and I am worrying for nothing. They get paid big bucks to "hopefully" have a little more insight than the rest of us. I seriously hope they get a certified goon though(even if he only plays in 30 games)

Well, ignorance probably does go a long way. Imagine if Bob had to sit down and explain this stuff to you while you're considering, say, three or four serious offers from other clubs - you'd probably just shake your head out of sheer befuddlement and go with one of the other guys.

On the other hand, we shouldn't forget that there IS an element of anti-Quebec, anti-French prejudice out there, just as there is an anti-English streak running through elements of the French media. Many English Canadians have hysterical ideas about what it's like to be a Quebec anglophone and some of that bullshit probably seeps into the NHL. Rather like the idea of moving to an African-American neighbourhood for a WASP Middle-American, the thought of moving to Quebec sometimes makes English North Americans 'nervous.' (Lindros, anyone?) Too bad - it's their loss.

I would like to know if the history of a team still counts for anything above and behond anything??

can't you sell a hockey player to come here so he can experience the true uphoria of true fan in delirium over the work that you do on the ice, forget the rest of the s@#$, but your a hockey player and this is truelly a hockey town, doesn't count for anything anymore?? :(

Do we even know who Montreal went after?

If so, do we know what they offered that player as opposed to what they signed for elswhere?

An example would be Jason Arnott. Its pretty well known that Gainey was targeting him. But we have heard nothing about the details.

But its easy to imagine that Gainey probably offered a 3 year deal for appoximatley $13.5 to $15 million dollars.

Its hard to believe that Gainey would have offered more, although maybe a 4 year deal would have been possible. Gainey definitley wasn't going to sign a 32 year to a 5 year contract.

Now along comes Nashville who offers 5 years and $22.5 Million dollar contract, which is $4.5 Million per season.

As an athlete which contract would you take? The one guarenteed for 3 years or the one guranteed for 5 years?

Agents are not stupid. They're either lawyers or have lawyers working for them. The English vs Frech school thing is bullshit considering you can send your kid to private school and you'll receive a tax deduction not too mention a better education.

You can get around that by living in Ottawa and communting. Yeah its a pain in the ass, but when your making millions who cares. Alot of guys don't live in Montreal year round anyways, especially the Americans and Europeans.

The French language thing is a legitamite beef, although its such a small part of the media that cares that ultimately it probably doesn't really matter. When these guys step on the ice infront of 21,000 screaming Bell Centre fans, they realize they are appreciated more for their hockey skills than they are despised because the can't, or are uncomfortable speaking, Frech!

With Athletes it comes down to money, and when the final contracts were considered, ultimatley Montreal came up short because they offered too few years or not enough money, or both

If so, do we know what they offered that player as opposed to what they signed for elswhere?

An example would be Jason Arnott. Its pretty well known that Gainey was targeting him. But we have heard nothing about the details.

But its easy to imagine that Gainey probably offered a 3 year deal for appoximatley $13.5 to $15 million dollars.

Its hard to believe that Gainey would have offered more, although maybe a 4 year deal would have been possible. Gainey definitley wasn't going to sign a 32 year to a 5 year contract.

Now along comes Nashville who offers 5 years and $22.5 Million dollar contract, which is $4.5 Million per season.

As an athlete which contract would you take? The one guarenteed for 3 years or the one guranteed for 5 years?

Agents are not stupid. They're either lawyers or have lawyers working for them. The English vs Frech school thing is bullshit considering you can send your kid to private school and you'll receive a tax deduction not too mention a better education.

You can get around that by living in Ottawa and communting. Yeah its a pain in the ass, but when your making millions who cares. Alot of guys don't live in Montreal year round anyways, especially the Americans and Europeans.

The French language thing is a legitamite beef, although its such a small part of the media that cares that ultimately it probably doesn't really matter. When these guys step on the ice infront of 21,000 screaming Bell Centre fans, they realize they are appreciated more for their hockey skills than they are despised because the can't, or are uncomfortable speaking, Frech!

With Athletes it comes down to money, and when the final contracts were considered, ultimatley Montreal came up short because they offered too few years or not enough money, or both

That to me makes hell of alot of sence,

but then again I'm just a poor dude pretending to be rich, living in Outremont.

Oh my freakin' God. THIS POST SHOULD BE POSTED EVERYWHERE. EVERYWHERE. That's right on the money.

I do not agree with what is written in that article. It was written by some bitter english speaking journalist who blames french for not being able to get a big name. Thats pure Bull **** ! Maybe they (UFAs) wanted too much money? Why isnt it mentioned? Maybe it is because of high taxes? No no no... It has to be because of french language...Good lord its fun to see the what the whole Canada thinks of Quebec in 2006. Still the same old racist song! Im pissed

Montreal is Bilingual and there are privates schools. If you win 5 mil per year will you send your kid in a public school anyway? Its likely not...

My dream is that after this next season, the cap will be dropped to about 37 million. Then everyone that signed these players for way too much and for too long will get screwed over. It wouldn't be as bad if it was signings for only 1 year. But these guys are getting 5-7 years. THat's insane.

I think Bob has a definate plan for us. And that plan doesn't include being burdened with a contract from a player for 5 years that probably only has a couple good years left. So we sign a big ceter for lots of money. What happens to a guy like Chip or Locke? It would be nice to get them up and let them get some experience. With all of these outragous deals going on, I almost think that Milbury is controlling half of these teams.

I have all faith in Bob. He's been a GM for a while and you just don't forget what you learnt when you go to a new team. He loves the habs probably more then anyone here. He's not going to do anything to screw up the future of this organization.

I don't think the language issue has anything to do with it. I do think that Bob offered about the same money to these free agents, just a couple years less. And least he's one GM that gets the new NHL.

For all the stupidities French medias can print or put on the air, the "Good Ol' Boys" of The Gazette will match. I actually think there's a competition between both sides to determine who will paint the other in the worse fashion.

The school thing is another misinformation bit­. The bulk of laws about language in scholl are FEDERAL LAWS (Article 23 of the Bill of Rights), with provincial admendments. So a guy signing in Edmonton is subjected to the same laws as someone signing in Montreal. The only difference in Montreal is the 101 Bill which is mostly targetted for immigrants who haven't received their education in Canada.

Simply put, if Arnott had signed in Montreal, he could have sent his kids to any English public school he had wanted; because himself is a Canadian and has received his education in an English school. That is a "mobile" right that gets passed down to his kids.

On the other hand, if a French UFA signs with say, Edmonton, he could have the right to send his kids to a French public school... if he can find one.

If, say, a Finn Euro signs with Montreal; he would have to send his kids to a French public school. Because he received his education in another country, by default his kids have to be in a French public school in Quebec. Unless he married an English Canadian; then he would have the right to send his kids to an English public school.

Its not that complicated; and its surely not that totalitarian since the bulk of the law applies across Canada.

Oh, and the part of Koivu and how it "spread to the players in the NHL" is more of a not-too-subtle jab from Hickey to his French colleagues than an actual fact.

It is MARK RECCHI who told the French medias that he had learned French during his stay in Montreal and hid it so he could listen and pretend not too; and the same MARK RECCHI told the press that KOIVU KNEW FRENCH TOO, because he had been taken french classes for a while and that he could speak french better then he let them to believe; which lead the French medias to ask Saku why he wasnt using the french he learned?

I guess Hickey forgot that too.

This whole freakin' issue about languages is getting very ridiculous; and quite frankly its getting downright sickening to see so many half-truths and misinformation getting spread around by the fistful French and English mediatic cliques who are greasing the wheels of their propaganda machine to push forth their hidden agenda of gaining more influence over the Habs.

F*ck Hickey. F*ck The Gazette. F*ck RDS. F*ck La Presse. Dont play their games.

Hickey is a frustrated Quebecois that seems to lacks the intelligence required to be an interesting

sport writer.....its not easy in trying making up for it,....and this article is again a good exemple.

Last time I heard from him,...according to him, Domi would be a great pick by the Gainey-Carbo duo if

bought-out by the Leafs.

Even Jack Todd cant help him out,...except for occasionnally patting him affectionnally on the back telling him

that next time will be better.

If, say, a Finn Euro signs with Montreal; he would have to send his kids to a French public school. Because he received his education in another country, by default his kids have to be in a French public school in Quebec. Unless he married an English Canadian; then he would have the right to send his kids to an English public school.

I remember reading or hearing that this loophole was actually closed? Or maybe they were looking to close it. In other words, if my memory serves me right, both parents would have to have gone to an English Public school (in Canada) if they wanted their child to do so as well.

Of course I could be wrong.

On the topic of this thread, I don't completely agree that these issues have everything to do preventing players from signing. Still, these issues would certainly be something a player signing a long-term deal would have to consider, especially if they plan on relocating or starting a family in the city.

well, if you generalise the "french media" to TQS and Le Journal. then you are right.

But I'm sure that there is the equivalent in Toronto (The Sun?) or in NY, etc.

If it wasn't the language, it'd be the nationality or the size, etc.

For all the stupidities French medias can print or put on the air, the "Good Ol' Boys" of The Gazette will match. I actually think there's a competition between both sides to determine who will paint the other in the worse fashion.

Oh, and the part of Koivu and how it "spread to the players in the NHL" is more of a not-too-subtle jab from Hickey to his French colleagues than an actual fact.

It is MARK RECCHI who told the French medias that he had learned French during his stay in Montreal and hid it so he could listen and pretend not too; and the same MARK RECCHI told the press that KOIVU KNEW FRENCH TOO, because he had been taken french classes for a while and that he could speak french better then he let them to believe; which lead the French medias to ask Saku why he wasnt using the french he learned?

I guess Hickey forgot that too.

This whole freakin' issue about languages is getting very ridiculous; and quite frankly its getting downright sickening to see so many half-truths and misinformation getting spread around by the fistful French and English mediatic cliques who are greasing the wheels of their propaganda machine to push forth their hidden agenda of gaining more influence over the Habs.

F'ING SIGNED.