No Urfa..should We Be Concerned?

hankhab

Should we be concerned over the lack of signings by Gainey? Maybe we shouldn't. I see GM's like Fergeson out there seemingly signing players for the sake of signing players. Kubina for 5 mil? Sorry, I just don't see that as being the right thing to do. Also, the cap means that the free spenders will eventually run out of space. Will next years crop of free agents be a better lot than this years? Who knows. All I know is that right now, teams seem to be throwing out huge money, or long term deals, which will probably not work out for them in a lot of cases. I would have loved to see Elias or Arnott in a habs uniform. Elias will be a great player for years, but what about Arnott..what kind of player will he be in 2 or 3 years? I think Gainey is looking at the current roster, liking what they did at the end of the season, and thinking he'd be happy going into the new season with much the same group. As well, I do believe he's looking to make a few trades, as we have players like Abeisher, Zednik, Ribero and perhaps Bonk, who may not be in Gaineys plans. Abeisher, I think, is most likely to be traded, as he doesn't relish the backup role, and there are still several teams out there with poor goaltending... Detroit and Boston stand out, but there are others. Finally, the remaining FA out there are not an overly impressive group, other than Shannahan (I'm not a big Samsonov fan at all), so I really wouldn't hold my breath on a signing, its just not likely to happen.

Yes this team should try to improve. They clearly have done nothing to help the scoring. Will the young guys step up who knows.

Boston, Toronto, Florida and maybe even Tampa have improved depending on goaltending.

Also Pittsburgh and the Islanders have improved.

I still say they need a mobile D man, a top 6 scoring forward. A center would be nice.

I look at this team making it to the playoffs due to goaltending. Once #11 went down the team folded right up. Last years team reminds of the one when Theo won all the awards, a hot goalie makes the team look better then it is. I obviously hope i'm wrong but who knows.

I'm of the view that we need a no.2 or 1A defenceman and a second line centre more than anything else. So I agree that we should try to improve. But, as you say, at what price? Elias would have been great at almost any price, but signing Arnott to a deal that makes him untradeable for five years would be sheer stupidity for a team with piles of young forwards in the system. Kubina? Way overpriced in a cap system, when we're already encroaching on the cap ceiling.

Me, I wish we'd considered pushing hard for Jovanovski. Like Elias, he could have been an anchor for much of the next decade. Other than that, though, I think Habs fans just have to face facts: many other GMS are stupider than Bob, and for that reason vacuum up UFAs to contracts that will be albatrosses around their teams' necks for years to come. (Have you heard the rumour that Boston offered Shanahan a four year deal? For God's sake!) Bob, sitting on young talent, isn't desperate enough for that. As long as the youth develops, we should improve by standing still. And let's remember that horrible slump mid-season last year was partly due to Theo's ridiculous meltdown, so with more stable netminding we might also bag a few more wins.

Stay cool, I say. Bob is. :hockey:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I am not at all concerned with the lack of our free agent signings. The players that went were way too expensive in the new NHL, so why even discuss it. I think everybody can agree that some of those signings would have been nice, but not at the price they went for...maybe with the exception of Chara and Jovo.

I believe BG has put himself in a great position to pick up a star through trading. If we could get a GAgne/Lecavalier and a big second line defenseman, I would be ecstatic. I really believe our young guys are coming along nicely and we have the potential to have a super fast young, high scoring team as early as next year. It is not out of the question that Chipchura, Latendresse, Kositsyn will make the team this year and make an impact.

I think this is not the time to panic but stay on track and keep doing what we've been doing. I am loving the direction we are going in. I tend to laugh when I see all these teams trying to sure up their lineups through expensive UFA's instead of the tried and true method of drafting.

What the Canadiens lack might be found within the organization.

Maybe it's time for Latendresse? Maybe Perezhogin, Kostitsyn and Plekanec will take another step forward? Maybe even Chipchura and Locke could get a spot.

It could be the season when everything comes together.

The only deal I want made is David Aebischer. Trade him fast. Cristoball Huet showed last season that he's the guy to go with. Yann Danis is ready for the backup role and Carey Price is in the system.

Radek Bonk is another player Im uncertain on. But he did end the season well and even if his contract is huge I'll give him a chance before I start calling for his head.

Bulis, Zednik and Sundström are alos on their way out. Or do they keep Zednik?

I think both Bulis and Zednik has helped this team a lot but I do think it's time to move on. Maybe bundle them again? Im I insane when I suggest that Washington could use them?

Washinton has some interesting young defenceman like Mike Green, Steve Eminger, Shaone Morrisonn, Ivan Majesky (Not THAT young but good anyway), Nolan Yonkman and Louis Robitaille.

And finaly... Simon Gagne are looking for a raise. Maybe this is when Bobby Clarke´s all recent signings comes back and bites him in his rear?

If the Flyer won't afford Gagne I think Gainey have to bid. Even if it would cost him up to five draft picks.

So in my dreams the Canadiens would look like this:

Gagne - Koivu - Ryder

Higgins - Ribeiro - Kovalev

Plekanec - Bonk - Perezhogin

Murray - Begin - Kostitsyn

Markov - Rivet

Souray - Komisarek

Eminger - Boullion

Huet

Danis

Edited by ch_nl

Gagne - Koivu - Ryder

Higgins - Ribeiro - Ryder

Plekanec - Bonk - Perezhogin

Murray - Begin - Kostitsyn

Markov - Rivet

Souray - Komisarek

Eminger - Boullion

Huet

Danis

Doubleshift Ryder? Haha...I know you meant Kovalev!

No. The team is fine. You guys have to understand that the team was really green last year. Yes they should sign somebody but at what risk? Is there really anybody out there that is like yes he's worth the money? No I don't think so the market this year is inflated with so so talent and throwing huge bucks at them while taking up a lot of salary is unwarrented. When the season starts make a trade for value.

Should we be concerned over the lack of signings by Gainey?

At this point I do not think there should be any concern. The Top free agents like Elias are gone so now bob Gainey has to look at the next tier of talent.

This organization is much stronger than in the past. If they attract no top value free agents then the team just has to work very hard for the wins. Last year was very exciting seeing the young guns that Montreal brought up from the farm team. It shows the drafting is much better and they have a plan.

Maybe this is just not our year for the big ticket guys. If the team can play better and get to a 5th or 6th seed, then maybe some of the bigger name guys will be in Montreal. It is like that in most sports. In the NBA no player wanted to be on the Clippers as they just stunk, now they have Elton Brand and a host of good players. They even have Thomas signing with them as a free agent and getting Sam Cassell signing back for two more years.

Winning is something that cannot be bought, and Montreal with the drafting they have done is helping to get rid of the losing ghosts. Don't forget Kovalev resigned with Montreal. I know many here do not like him but he is a star. It wll happen, just a matter of time.

Gaborik could still be an option, although he has a major incentive to re-sign with Minnesota after they acquired Demitra.

The only thing that drove me nuts was listening to the trades on draft day...I would've died to see Tanguay or Demitra in Montreal and they are very offensive and that is what this team needs! Argghh!!

Edited by habsfan88

Tanguay? Demitra?

I disagree. I think that Montreal have equal quality in a season or two when Plekanec, Higgins and Kostitsyn have learn/adapt to play in the NHL.

Therefore a first line winger, a second line center or a top defenceman would be the only upgrade Gainey could do.

Sure, Tanguay would improve the team in a short perspective but he would at the same time tale valuable time from prospects.

A guy like Gagne, or as we discussed earlier, Lecavalier would boost the team to a new dimension and that type of talent is hard to find. And even harder to find within the system.

I doubt the Flyers would let Gagne go, but don't rule out the possibility. The Flyers was regarded as the best team along with the Sens before last season started. How they did? Well, you should know by now. Knuble, Forsberg and Gagne was the most important players for Philly and with Forsberg out to new year the Flyers might have to think new.

Anyway, Simon Gagne would be the ULTIMATE addition.

Well... Looks like we'll have just that much more cap room to bring in a player around the deadline if we so choose to. Worked out well for Carolina.

Well... Looks like we'll have just that much more cap room to bring in a player around the deadline if we so choose to. Worked out well for Carolina.

That's the only good thing about this situation....if we find ourselves looking promising around trade deadline time, Bob will be able to pull the trigger and deal away a draft pick to absorb a high-salary rent-a-sniper for the home stretch and the playoffs.