American Entertainment

Pierre the Great

When people start becoming famous for just being famous thats when I change the channel.

*coughParisHiltoncouh*

@fanpuck only staying up past 10 PM once he turned 17: :P For mw, it was more like grade 1 - ironically, the reason I stayed up was to watch my favourite TV shows that were on at that time.

I'm sick of everyone trying to pawn their troubles off on other sources. In the days of this litigous society, lets sue whoever has wronged us. McDonalds made me fat, CBS showed a boob during the Super Bowl, hot coffee burned me, Schwinn didn't make a comfortable bike for me, so I'll sue them too.

Take responsibility for your own damn actions. ###### I'm sick of whining. Everyone has some power, quit sitting on your hands and take action for what you believe in (or don't believe in) instead of spouting off here about it.

I'm not trying to blame TV and movies for the current state of society. I've always found people who do so to be ridiculous. At the same time, I think it plays a role for people who do not have a solid upbringing and a lot of our society encourages people to not take responsibility for their own actions. But just because I don't think that television and movies are ruining society, as some of you seem to think I am, that doesn't excuse putting crap on television. I guess I haven't made my position clear, because I in no way want to blame TV for people's problems. I just think it adds to them.

And you are 100% right about the "sue whoever wronged us." comment. It's freaking out of control. I read about a guy who was sneaking around in someone's garage when the door was shut and they were trapped for a few days. The burglar sued and won a case for unlawful imprisonment. I also read about a woman who broke her leg in a store and won a lawsuit against the store. Thing is, she broke her leg when she tripped over her 4 year kid. Freaking asinine.

Wow, I didn't realize we started censoring curse words here... the ###### equates to For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge. Figure it out...

Not all HW members are adults. Kids who read the site shouldn't learn how to curse from hockey fans on a message board.

I assume you're another "it's fake and a soap opera for men" person?

There is that, but that isn't what makes it trash. I kinda liked the classic wrestling in the days of Hulk Hogan when he was in his prime. What gets me is how trashy the shows are. Kissing people on the ass on television. Bra and panty matches. (Though hot, especially Stacy Keibler, they have no business being on a show whose audience is probably half kids) Subverse storylines. Rubbing a fat guy's ass in someone's face. The list goes on. Wrestling was popular when it was about the fake wrestling and the simple fueds. Vince McMahon took a decent thing and turned it into trash.

If I may add:

The whole arguement against some things on TV being bad for society is a little off-base. Most mainstream cultural products (TV, movies, music) are usually specifically targetted to attract the most customers. As much as it influences society, it is influenced by society and reflects it.

One of the most insidious things on TV isnt the news or the shows: its the ads. Ads are specifically designed to sell you an idea, a feeling, to influence you. Much more than everything else. And the best way ads will do that is by associating their products with values in the most pernicious ways.

I've always found more moraly skewed content in ads than in other things, and they often seem to have more penetration in the society's values. At least a TV show or a song has is self-contained by its fiction/art nature that sometimes lessens the values emanating from it.

There is that, but that isn't what makes it trash. I kinda liked the classic wrestling in the days of Hulk Hogan when he was in his prime. What gets me is how trashy the shows are. Kissing people on the ass on television. Bra and panty matches. (Though hot, especially Stacy Keibler, they have no business being on a show whose audience is probably half kids) Subverse storylines. Rubbing a fat guy's ass in someone's face. The list goes on. Wrestling was popular when it was about the fake wrestling and the simple fueds. Vince McMahon took a decent thing and turned it into trash.

I agree with your comments on wrestling, and agree that it is an apt example of the direction of popular entertainment in general. There's always been dumb entertainment, but now the dumb entertainment often have higher amounts of sex and violence stirred in... an appeal to the lowest common denominator (which carries some appeal to everyone, to a greater or lesser degree, whether we admit it or not). Of course, standards seem to continue to sink lower because there is a market for it. I'd like to read the news and see that Jerry Springer's productions are losing money, or the trashiest tabloid went out of business, but I'm not holding my breath. There's a certain segment of the population that never tires of the seemier shows out there.

By the way, I include myself in the above indictment. I don't watch much TV, but if it's not sports or a documentary, I confess to the occasional indulgence of MXC. That show kills me! We all have our vices. :P

(Though hot, especially Stacy Keibler, they have no business being on a show whose audience is probably half kids)

But the show isnt tragetted to kids. Its not WWE's demographic.

This seems to be the heart of the whole children/family/influence problem. Do you tone down everything because "kids might be watching" or do you relly on unreliable parents to shield the children from things specifically directed at adults?

Seems to be a problem permeating more than just TV or movies. Here, in my own city (Quebec City) we used to have an awesome event: Le Carnaval de Québec. Was renowned world-wide as some sort of "Winter Mardi Gras". People would party, get drunk as Hell. We had a load of beautiful girls posing in a pageant to find the "Queen" of the Carnaval. It was definitely a mostly adult-oriented feast.

Then all in a sudden everything got P.C. Now the Carnaval is dull, boring, uneventful and unattractive "family feast".

Why did all in a sudden kids became the center of society? On one hand, we've got perhaps some of the most negligent parenting in recent history; but on the other hand more and more things seems to revolve around pregnancy, kids and families.

What happened to the time where kids were kids and stayed in their kids' world while the rest of society was for adults and family was viewed under the adult/parents angle?

WOMEN! That's what happened! Women in the workplace, women in politics, women with money to their name, women with opinions and ambitions of their own. That's what blurred the lines between the "adult society" and the "kids world". The biggest spokespersons for the "kids' own good" are neither kids or men. They are women and mothers, who mostly speaks for themselves rather than really speaking for kids.

There's the heart of the problem.

Not all HW members are adults. Kids who read the site shouldn't learn how to curse from hockey fans on a message board.

Being the youngest person around here, I'm glad you care about me so much. :wub:

By the way, in your other post you classified "kids" as people age 14 or under which I am not. Oh, and it doesn't bother me as I swear too. (but usually only at kaos ;) )

About the ads, KoZed is right. You see things in ads that you will never see in a TV show. It all starts with the airbrushed models which cause eating disorders and all that crap. A barbie doll is disproportional and scientists say that if Barbie was alive then she wouldn't be able to lift herself and live. You can also look at GI Joe on the male side. If both GI Joe and Barbie were human-size, then GI Joe's bicep would be six inches bigger than Barbie's waist. (Real numbers, not mine) Yeah, I think those are the worst things you can possibly see on TV. That and A Clockwork Orange.

Being the youngest person around here, I'm glad you care about me so much. :wub:

By the way, in your other post you classified "kids" as people age 14 or under which I am not. Oh, and it doesn't bother me as I swear too. (but usually only at kaos ;) )

That comment was not directed at you. There is no way to know how old people on the site are. It doesn't seem like any members are kids, but who knows? There's also no way to tell how many guests and members who don't post are kids who just like the Habs.

About the ads, KoZed is right. You see things in ads that you will never see in a TV show. It all starts with the airbrushed models which cause eating disorders and all that crap. A barbie doll is disproportional and scientists say that if Barbie was alive then she wouldn't be able to lift herself and live. You can also look at GI Joe on the male side. If both GI Joe and Barbie were human-size, then GI Joe's bicep would be six inches bigger than Barbie's waist. (Real numbers, not mine) Yeah, I think those are the worst things you can possibly see on TV. That and A Clockwork Orange.

Amen to that. Hollywood starlets need to stop trying to look like Barbie. They don't seem to understand that men don't find stick-figures with breasts attractive. Lindsay Lohan was gorgeous before she lost weight. Nicole Ritchie was somewhat attractive before she became a stick. And based on pictures I saw of Jessica Alba the other day, she is on her way to disappearing also.

Also amen to the comment about A Clockwork Orange. That is the strangest movie I have ever seen. What was the point except to be really, really strange? I felt dumberer after watching that movie.

Amen to that. Hollywood starlets need to stop trying to look like Barbie. They don't seem to understand that men don't find stick-figures with breasts attractive. Lindsay Lohan was gorgeous before she lost weight. Nicole Ritchie was somewhat attractive before she became a stick. And based on pictures I saw of Jessica Alba the other day, she is on her way to disappearing also.

But have you seen magazines like People and such? I've got to read many of them recently (work in a convenient store), and I couldnt believe the crap they publish.

They'll have page fulls of pictures of actresses with petty comments about how they "need to hit the gym" or needs to " stop letting themselves go". Then more pages of pictures with petty comments about how they're "looking great in their new [skinnier] body". Then more pages of pictures with more petty comments about how some stars are "looking too thin" or "needs to eat a burger".

Then you see other mags who all boast "the cool new diets" or about "how some starlet got her hot new body" and etc.

Those are women magazines made by women and read by women. Its insane stuff! I can't imagine being a girl having to grow up with that kind of crap around. I'd probably develop a crazily unhealthy body image too; moreover if I'm a "starlet" whose job depends on how I look.

But if tv goes to far then they offically went way over the line on 9/11. That was on every channel even kids programminng. Little kids at day care watched this. They were desensitized from that moment on. Nothing phases anyone anymore. Little kids watching people jumping out of buildings and people dying put more of an impact on them emotionally then any WWE show will ever do.

Then I get to the media. I seem to remember Matt Lauer saying rewind the tape about 4,000 times to the point the plane hits the towers. He acted like this was on some movie set, he was screaming and going crazy. He went over the line turned it into some kind of game almost, a sick game. Thats why I switched over to Peter Jennings. He was quiet and reserved during the time not looking like an idiot like Matt Lauer.

I bring this up because some people have complained about the war coverage being 'too violent' on the evening news. I don't have a response to that because thats the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Its a war not a game.

That comment was not directed at you. There is no way to know how old people on the site are. It doesn't seem like any members are kids, but who knows? There's also no way to tell how many guests and members who don't post are kids who just like the Habs.

Also amen to the comment about A Clockwork Orange. That is the strangest movie I have ever seen. What was the point except to be really, really strange? I felt dumberer after watching that movie.

Jessica Alba better not have gotten skinnier. :o Crap, she used to be the hottest person on the planet! What I heard is that Jennifer Anniston is too skinny to give birth healthily.

About A Clockwork Orange - I never actually watched the movie. I heard there's an explicit rape scene and that it's extremely gory though. That stopped me from taking it out. Maybe in a couple of years I'll watch it. Can't be any worse than Sin City (AKA 101 ways to destroy someone's balls) was.

I actually didn't think Sin City was that graphic. Seen much worse, in real life and films.

If you thought Sin City was bad you'd probly have a heart attack watching City of God. Little kids killing each other. Tough film to watch for some people.

this is off-topic but yeah, it wasn't graphic. They don't actually show much. But the fac tis that you know what's happening. It's physically impossible for me to watch that movie with my legs open. I don't enjoy seeing people getting hatchets and bullets in their balls. Or being eaten alive by wolves, for that matter.

The movie was definitely entertaining though.