Eklund Bs Or Not ?

Theberge43

Yanic Perreault.... Chicago (e3), Washington (e2), Toronto (e1), montreal (e2)

Shanahan...Montreal is giving it a healthy go, in the end I think Detroit will be a player.

Mike Peca...Islanders (e3, however I am hearing that there is some indecision, chicago (e1), toronto (e1) and montreal (e1)

I know we don't like him that much here, but I've been following his posts and some have been good for the UFA period. That being said, e1 and e2 just means that Bob is talking a little ...

It seems Bob is looking at Shanahan first and that he might be talking to Peca in case he can't sign him. Perreault I just don't buy it, where would he play ? Do we have a 5th line ?

Perrreault; no. Eklund is way offbase there, Gainey wouldn't admit a mistake (not that I think it was one) in letting him go in the first place...

Shanahan, yes - I could imagine that Gainey's offering...we'll see.

Peca - A Gainey-type player no doubt but once again he's going to take a lot of dough. And he only scored 23pts in the regular season last yr. I suppose Gainey made an inquiry but nothing else

It's typical Eklund, percentage fact (Shanahan, maybe Peca)..but percentage craziness (Perreault)

Eklund actually does have sources and I believe him. When he tells you e1 though he's pretty much saying that Gainey's asked how much Peca's looking for or something. He is often wrong but he doesn't make stuff up. He never just says "I have no good news so I'll make up that Chicago wants Mike Peca and then give it an e1 so they won't blame me when it doesn't happen."

Peca would be a great pickup for 2.5 million, which is rumoured to be what he is looking for when talking with the Maple Leafs. Then you could trade Riberio and Murray, because Peca would replace Murray's style, with some touch around the net.

he would fill our gap at center.he's right handed and he's a decnt face-off man

but he didn't impress me one bit during the playoffs. he looked like a genius on a few games then he'd look really ordinary the next one

Sounds like Boston is out of the running. TSN is saying that it is down to Detroit and St. Louis which I don't believe because Hadley, a Blues analyst, already said they were out of the running. It looks like it will be down to Detroit and Montreal for Shanny.

Peca can't be a #2 C in this league anymore. Not enough offensive upside. At this point in his career, Peca isn't doesnt have much left over a guy like Begin. Would you give 2.5M$ to an energy 4th/3rd liner who can't give you much more than about 30 pts?

I'd love to get Peca too. He used to remind me of Carbo so much. But his name value is bigger than what he's actually worth. Its basically a given that wherever he ends up, he'll be overpaid.

And the idea that you can just sign anyone; than trade someone to make room for him isn't exactly sound business. GMs will see come a mile ahead and lowball you just because they know you've painted yourself in a corner.

Perrault can put up more points then Ribiero can...:D that's one thing i know for sure as for shanahan i hear rumor's that montreal offerd 8.8 Million for 2 years! Shanahan is a great player but 4.4 Million for that old of a player....and also he doesnt have a Zetterberg and a Datsyuk here in Montreal....Oh god that's a lot of money.

I'd suggest overpaying for year one (say, $5.3 mil) and dropping it down to under 5 in year two. So the deal would be worth 10 mil, but we wouldn't take as big a cap hit in his 40th year, which surely won't be as productive. (Unless he's the second coming of Gordie Howe).

But we don't have any proven LW and we can always use more goals and Cup experience. So go for it, I say.

I'd suggest overpaying for year one (say, $5.3 mil) and dropping it down to under 5 in year two. So the deal would be worth 10 mil, but we wouldn't take as big a cap hit in his 40th year, which surely won't be as productive. (Unless he's the second coming of Gordie Howe).

But we don't have any proven LW and we can always use more goals and Cup experience. So go for it, I say.

That doesn't work. The contract is averaged over the life (# of years) so the cap hit is the same every year.

Therefore if you sign a guy to a $10 Million deal over two years the cap hit in both years is $5 Million, regardless if you pay him $5 Million each year or $2 million one year and $8 Million the next.

And $5 is way, way, WAY too much for Brendan Shanahan

Sign him up...5 million is what he is worth IMO. If Arnott can come close to that and Shanny was a top 10 goalscorer last year and to 25 point getter...much better than anything else on this team. Shanahan can still put up good numbers playing with Koivu or Kovalev.

Looking at what other guys have signed for (Kubina, Arnott, savard etc) 5 million is what it would take...miss out on him and you won't add any significant talent to the team. I would rather spend 5 million on Shanahan than 5 million for both Sykora and Poti.

Random quotes:

Eklund: "Montreal is pursuing Yanic Perreault."

Gainey: "You guys tee off, I'm going to keep looking for my ball."

Eklund: "Montreal is making a serious bid for Peca."

Gainey: "I'll see that and raise you $100."

Eklund: "Gainey is working feverishly to land Shanahan."

Gainey: "G'night! ...Zzzzzzzzzzz"

That doesn't work. The contract is averaged over the life (# of years) so the cap hit is the same every year.

Therefore if you sign a guy to a $10 Million deal over two years the cap hit in both years is $5 Million, regardless if you pay him $5 Million each year or $2 million one year and $8 Million the next.

Why thanks, I did not know that. :blink: The cap moves in mysterious ways.

Random quotes:

Eklund: "Montreal is pursuing Yanic Perreault."

Gainey: "You guys tee off, I'm going to keep looking for my ball."

Eklund: "Montreal is making a serious bid for Peca."

Gainey: "I'll see that and raise you $100."

Eklund: "Gainey is working feverishly to land Shanahan."

Gainey: "G'night! ...Zzzzzzzzzzz"

Priceless!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Well ... he's saying Peca could be an option for MTL this morning.

And he's saying we'll do a major trade in the next 2 weeks.

This week we will also see Peca land, and it looks more and more like that landing place will Toronto, Ottawa, or Montreal...

Montreal is a team that will make at least "one major move in the next two weeks.."

I hope he's right, 'cause Bob got shafted big time this weekend ... Shanahan to NYR and Bell to San Jose.

Peca can't be a #2 C in this league anymore. Not enough offensive upside. At this point in his career, Peca isn't doesnt have much left over a guy like Begin. Would you give 2.5M$ to an energy 4th/3rd liner who can't give you much more than about 30 pts?

I'd love to get Peca too. He used to remind me of Carbo so much. But his name value is bigger than what he's actually worth. Its basically a given that wherever he ends up, he'll be overpaid.

And the idea that you can just sign anyone; than trade someone to make room for him isn't exactly sound business. GMs will see come a mile ahead and lowball you just because they know you've painted yourself in a corner.

I'd be happy getting Peca. First, anytime you can one up on a division rival is great. We could acquire Peca and stick it to the Leafs simultanously :P

Having said that Peca is not a necessity but he has worn the "C" in Buffalo. One of the issues we are dealing with is a backup to the loss of Koivu in a series. Peca brings the leadership quality we need.