Bring Us Shanny!

Nilan

I doubt the other team is Canadian even! but It would make sense it it were! My guess its Knuckle head and his friend Trevor Linden...

So lets forget about UFA and concentrate in our team!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we can be certain it is either Montreal or LA. St. Louis and Boston are both out and there are very few rumours about LA. Many rumours about Montreal even from ESPN.

Edited by Mr. Nasty

Somebody sign him SOON!................I'm getting tired of all these threads; especially since he, Poti, Samsanov etc.... have been mentioned numerous times in numerous other threads....

I wonder how Shanny would do with Montreal, really?

I mean, I think he is sort of from the old school, like Gainey, Carbonneau, Muller and Jarvis. A team guy who would be vocal and a teacher, a leader by example. We could certainly use some more veteran leadership to help bring some of the young guns and inconsistants along and to help get this team through a long season and deep into the playoffs. I can't shake the memories of the team post-Koivu in this past year's playoffs. A leader like that who is instantly respected can have a great impact on an entire team, not just the young guys.

Having said all of that, I think Bob is going after a few guys, he will either get them or not. But I take comfort in the fact that we are dealing from a much better position than we have in the past, where it isn't, in my opinion absolutely critical that we sign a UFA.

I have faith in Bob and the boys.

Still I say bring us Shanny or bring us nothing but just please bring us Stanley…

:ninja:

Edited by The Saint

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../607070341/1128

The Bruins are considering offering Shanahan a two-year contract worth $9.8 million. Montreal and Los Angeles -- teams in need of size and goal-scoring ability -- also are considering giving him more than $4 million a season.

we can be certain it is either Montreal or LA. St. Louis and Boston are both out and there are very few rumours about LA. Many rumours about Montreal even from ESPN.

I know for a fact that Shanny was in Montreal today (with his wife) meeting with the Habs. He flew back to Boston at 18:00 on the airline I work for. Does not mean a thing but maybe the Habs are the second team involved?!

Shanahan would be nice, and he would definitely make us more dangerous and larger upfront, but I still worry about our center position. If Ribero has a great year, or Plekanec really starts to dominate at center it would reduce my concerns ... but these are ifs.

I'd also like to see an elite offensive defensman.

Shanahan would be nice, and he would definitely make us more dangerous and larger upfront, but I still worry about our center position. If Ribero has a great year, or Plekanec really starts to dominate at center it would reduce my concerns ... but these are ifs.

I'd also like to see an elite offensive defensman.

We have a cap to respect.

I would have liked Elias, Arnott and Chara, but we are at 39M$ already for our full roster, can't afford a lot without shedding some salaries first.

Bring in Shanny and Lang, get rid of Zed and Ribs, and we will be at 42M$ about. We can still save another million by trading Aebi and having Danis, but that is it. BG wants to be at 42M$ top he said.

I bet the other team is not even the Habs. Its probably LA or something.

Montreal is the reason that Shanny has not decided yet. So far Montreal is offering the most.

The Kings and Bruins are not in the hunt anymore. As another poster said, it is down to a return to Detroit or a new start in montreal.

Shanny was considering going to Montreal for a face to face with Gainey and Carbo but I don't know if it actually has or will happen.

"It is believed that Shanahan has offers of between $3.25-$3.5M from the Rangers; slightly more than that to return to Detroit; and significantly larger than that from Montreal. Despite reports elsewhere, neither the Kings nor the Bruins are in the hunt.

And despite the fact that the Rangers are currently offering less than his other two suitors, Shanahan, who began his career in New Jersey in 1987 and is expected to make a decision no later than early next week, is known to be intrigued by the opportunity to play on Broadway. "

This should confirm it (that the Habs are the "other team"), Thanks

The first paragraph is a bit confusing but it looks as if Montreal has by far the highest offer.

Edited by Mr. Nasty

We need actual proof KidRock :P

Sorry man, if you read it on the net don't believe it.

I hear ya Tony...the best I can do is say I was actually there when he and his wife boarded the aircraft...tried to get more info from him (Shanny) but all he'd do is smile. He did say he met with the Habs though...like I didn't know...who knows Tony? Edited by KidRock

Kevin Gibson is reporting that Detroit will be announcing the signings of Belfour and Shanny either Monday or Tuesday.

It's on hockeybuzz.

Edited by Talon

I don't think Shanny would be a good fit for us:

sure he's a teacher, and been around, but a player in his situation (near the end of his career) would be better of going to a team that's making a run at the cup (a missing piece). I don't think the Habs are in this situation.....yet.

We have too many (good) prospects waiting for the call; lets go with the youth movement. Then if that's not working look to make a deal (for a younger guy) who will be here for a few years.

Shanny is a rental player; and I don't think that's what were looking for..........at least I hope not.

Kevin Gibson is reporting that Detroit will be announcing the signings of Belfour and Shanny either Monday or Tuesday.

It's on hockeybuzz.

Hockeybuzz also said that Lecavalier would be traded to the habs in 2002 (during spat with the coach) and again last year for cap issues.

I like some speculation but I never believe anything til I see it has been finalized.

Yeah take it for what it's worth. They could be wrong, but they could be right.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../607080326/1128

Anyways, the Detroit News says Shanahan is expected to decide between Detroit and another team -- possibly Montreal -- by early next week.

Very Interesting article by the Red Wings writer Ansar Khan:

To recap, it goes something like this: Montreal says Boston is in the hunt but St. Louis and L.A. are out. St. Louis says L.A. and Montreal are making a big push but Boston is no longer interested. L.A. says it’s St. Louis and the Rangers, with Montreal out of the bidding. Or something like that. Doesn’t matter, the cities are all interchangeable here.

My opinion hasn’t changed from the start: I think he’s coming back, and I don’t think he ever seriously intended to leave, as long as the Red Wings told him they wanted him back and were willing to increase his salary. My guess is he’ll sign a two-year deal for slightly less than $4 million a season ($3.5?).

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/weblog/index..._07.html#159099

Edited by smon

I don't think Shanny would be a good fit for us:

sure he's a teacher, and been around, but a player in his situation (near the end of his career) would be better of going to a team that's making a run at the cup (a missing piece). I don't think the Habs are in this situation.....yet.

We have too many (good) prospects waiting for the call; lets go with the youth movement. Then if that's not working look to make a deal (for a younger guy) who will be here for a few years.

Shanny is a rental player; and I don't think that's what were looking for..........at least I hope not.

I desagree.

A '' rental '' player of Shanahan pedigree IS exactly what we need.

Selanne was one of the few players last year that was willing to sign for only a one year contract,.....

such '' rental '' would have been perfect for our team last season but Gainey passed him over,....yes Selanne would have spared us the dysfonctionality our team have experienced during their season,......he would have helped our team getting in the play-off from the FRONT door......and while illiminating the scoring weakness our team was plaged with.......who knows then what could have happens during the play-offs.......

a '' missing piece '' of such importance can go a long way in ANY given situation nowadays.

Shanahan would accomplish for us the same thing Selanne could have done for us last year......again,

just like with Selanne,....no prospects of ours needed being given away to get him,.......and the added beauty with '' rental '' (one or two years commitment) like them,.......IS that, while they are boosting our power-plays and giving us the goals needed in our present situation,......they wont need to do it any longuer than we need them to or that it is necessary since in the meantime, if we are lucky enought, some of our potentiel forward prospects playing on our depth line would have had time to developped themselves into being ready to challenge for the more offensive responsability attached to the top lines and the power-play efficiency and prowess required from them. Getting Shanahan for now is as good as it can get for us.

For now Kostitsyn can challenge Zednick's legitimicacy on the third line and give us (hopefully) the scoring

depth any good team should have to succeed.......that's a challenge that is more proportionate to the

Kostitsyn situation at this stage. Zednick has no future with the team....ideally he should be sended away before the season start.

Edited by PB

If they do re-sign Shanahan and get a deal done with Belfour, it's more likely they'll try and shed some salary, thus the Robert Lang to Montreal for picks rumor.

Then there's a problem with the Habs having too many Cs, if one isn't moved. I don't think Lang will end up in Montreal, especially is Gainey isn't able to unload one of the other Habs centers...Koivu, Ribeiro, Bonk, Plekanec. I don't believe any of them will be moved.

Then there's a problem with the Habs having too many Cs, if one isn't moved. I don't think Lang will end up in Montreal, especially is Gainey isn't able to unload one of the other Habs centers...Koivu, Ribeiro, Bonk, Plekanec. I don't believe any of them will be moved.

Just a small note Koivu has a no trade clause,

I strongly don't beleive he will leave even if their might be a way to flash a bunch of cash and to 'move' him to a team he 'would rather' play for.

If he didn't want to be here why ask for a no trade clause? :blink: