Stupid Question.

vanessa

The Senators (AKA Silver Seven) won many cups in the challenge cup era and 1 in the championship cup era. As far as I understand it was the same team throughout.

At this point a technicality, but the NHL does not run the stanley cup award system - it is done by the Cup Trustees. Remember that recent case where the beer league asked the trustees to award the cup in their league during the lockout?

Those challenge cups were run more like boxing titles. A team would challenge another for the cup, the cup trustees negotiated the form of the challenge (3 game series, 2 games total goal series, etc) and then whoever won was said to have won the cup. A Cup team could play non-challenge matches and therefore might defend only a couple of times a year. The Cup Trustees did award the Silver Seven 8 cups I believe... but many are in the same year. The Seven are engraved on the cup for each win I believe (were they not the ones who engraved on the bowl?).

In sum total - the nhl doesn't get to decide who has won cups. The Senators existed through the 1927 season. The Senators played in many leagues and independently throughout their ~30 year history, much of which as an 'amateur' team. You have to judge challenge cups on a different scale than championship cups, although to be fair there were probably more than 6 teams competing for challenge rights at any given time. Also, just like a boxing championship, if the cup holders did not accept a challenge frequently enough or the right challenge, the trustees could strip them of the cup.

1- montreal

2-the sens

3-norm macIver

4-kd lang??( or was it mario lemieux..they look so alike :unsure: )

Wrong for the last 2.

Ok, I'll answer it.

1- Montreal

2- Ottawa

3- Sylvain Turgeon scored the GWG, who the Habs had released just before that season.

4- The anthem was sang by a very young pop-dance singer with a big curly hair-do by the name of... Alanis Morrissette.

Wrong for the last 2.

Ok, I'll answer it.

1- Montreal

2- Ottawa

3- Sylvain Turgeon scored the GWG, who the Habs had released just before that season.

4- The anthem was sang by a very young pop-dance singer with a big curly hair-do by the name of... Alanis Morrissette.

You're cool now. ;)

Wow simonus, pretty nice story! Looks like you were there in the '20

Humm :unsure: How old are you?? :rolleyes:

not quite... just old enough to have read some books about the history of hockey.

BTW - they were the silver seven because they played much of their history with the rover.

yeah, how old are you vanessa? :blush:

:king:

kidding. I'll stop before you think I'm really r e t a r d e d :P .

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you didn't quite stop soon enough. ;)

Thanks Dark Faerie87.

That does help.

:blink:

No it doesn't. It's a trick. :P

Check this list carefully: http://www.mistupid.com/sports/hockey.htm

The totals in the wikipedia link are wrong. It doesnt list the Ottawa Silver Seven wins at all (3), and misses 2 wins by the Ottawa Senators aswell, for a grand total of 9.

Ottawa was 3rd when the franchise was reinstated, but Detroit have won several times since then.

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

When it's 70 or 80 years between games, I don't think you can call that a reinstatement. Yeah, the nicknames are the same, but it's a different franchise. They can hang all the banners they want from the rafters, but they haven't won one themselves yet.

When it's 70 or 80 years between games, I don't think you can call that a reinstatement. Yeah, the nicknames are the same, but it's a different franchise. They can hang all the banners they want from the rafters, but they haven't won one themselves yet.

That is true, I can remember reading that somewhere now. And besides, weren't the Ottawa Silver Seven a seperate team from the Ottawa Senators?

As for that first Sens game, I believe Montreal lost to Ottawa 5-3. I remember feeling quite horrible after that loss... yet we put together quite a season after that.

yeah and there's went down the toilet. thats what happen when you play in a shopping mall :lol:

I remember seeing that game and having a terrible feeling after the lost...

The Ottawa Senators that exist today are a separate franchise from the earlier one. The only link is the name. The reason the Senators have banners hanging from their rafters is because they have not won anything of their own, so they are taking credit for another team's success.

Ottawa is tied for last in Stanley Cups with a grand total of 0.