Am I The Only One That Doesn't Mind Bonk?

huzer

I hear nothing but complaints about Bonk, but he started the season injured, and I thought played well to end the year. Not only that, but isn't his salary on the books for $2.4M, hardly the horrific salary that others have claimed it to be. Personally, I wish he wasn't pegged strictly as the 4th line center going into the season, although that line did play well together.

The way Habs players get blasted on this board constantly would almost make you think this is a Leafs board or something.

Bonk was screwed up by one of those infuriating groin pulls and that made a hash of his season. I still say he's a proven NHL centreman and that it was a well-calculated decision by Bob to acquire him. In retrospect keeping Ward would have worked out better; the jury is still out on whether Bonk's skating is good enough for the 'new NHL;' but all things considered I expect better things from him.

A lot of salaries that seemed high last season seem quite the bargain after the rash of inflated UFA signings. Look at Kovy - a STEAL at 4 years for $4 mil or whatever it is. At the time quite a few people thought the sky was falling.

Hey Huzer, i like like Bonk. He did very well once his injuries healed. He played a great PK, above average on faceoffs. The only center the habs have bigger than a smurf. Did very well playing with Begin and Downey.

Fans on this board complain about Ryder who only led the team in goals his first 2 years at 1 mill a year mind you. So who knows, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I hear nothing but complaints about Bonk, but he started the season injured, and I thought played well to end the year. Not only that, but isn't his salary on the books for $2.4M, hardly the horrific salary that others have claimed it to be. Personally, I wish he wasn't pegged strictly as the 4th line center going into the season, although that line did play well together.

The way Habs players get blasted on this board constantly would almost make you think this is a Leafs board or something.

Bonk has been short of Awesome in the 2nd part of the season. People CLEARLY knew that he was hired as a checking center, yet EXPECTED (like fools) a big pts production from him. After he came back from injury, he was virtually flawless in his defensive game, as long as providing a big tiresome presence (SIZE does matter when the other team have to try to toss you away)

looks like the answer is ...

NO.

and - for the record - i consider Bonk to be a useful (albeit expensive) player. i'm glad he's on the team - and was particularly pleased in the few games i watched of him in the playoffs.

I've been defending Bonk all season long. When he was healthy he played amazing. Defensively his performance has been nothing short of elite. Offensively, he picked it up late in the year. He was brought in as a defensive forward and he turned into one of the better PK guys around. His offensive numbers were disappointing but I think he'll improve those this year. After all, he is proven. More proven than 90% of the other guys on our team.

He also is a big two-way centerman we're so desperate to find. Big, pretty fast, skilled and good on faceoffs. Even picked it up in the playoffs when it counted most. This is a guy who can center anyone of the bottom 3 lines..

I think Bonk would be great if...

... His contract was about half of what it is.

... His offensive production would be a bit higher.

... He could use his size more.

I haven't heard Bonk get blasted in a while.

But to be fair, you lament the fact that he's buttoned in as the fourth line centre and nothing more...well, he did get plenty of chances on the top lines; including several games in the playoffs with Higgins and Ryder after Koivu's injury. Unfortunately his speed isn't there; so Garth Murray went onto that line in his place.

I don't mind Bonk. I've never been his biggest supporter but I like the trade that brought him here since it gave us Huet. He's a good penalty killer, quite generously compensated, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Gainey probably expected a bit more from him, and we may see that this year.

I'd like to see more of an offensive role from him. I mean he can use his size and drive to the net as I can attest from seeing him in Ottawa, he just didn't use it here. I would've hoped to see him flourish here in Montreal with less expectations than in Ottawa where he was once looked upon as the franchise saviour.

All in all, although Bonk isn't bad, you can't say he was the two way force he was in Ottawa. I think there was genuine hope he would step up with Ribiero's struggles but Bonk seems less comfortable on scoring lines and plays better on the checking ones.

I think Bonk would be great if...

... His contract was about half of what it is.

... His offensive production would be a bit higher.

... He could use his size more.

That could really apply to any player... Being cheaper, scoring more goals, and being a more physical presence are all characteristics anyone would want to see from any player...

I am not really down on Bonk at all. He makes very few mistakes and was very good on the PK. It seems people are mainly upset about the size of his contract. I don't think it is all the bad. We are paying Ribeiro 1.9 million after all. I hope both these guys can have better seasons this year than last.

Anyhow, using up cap space is pretty much irrelevant if we can't get any UFA to sign here.

Edited by Peter Puck

Bonk is a worthwhile addition to the team.

As to his salary, that's the way things go with salary negotiations between teams. It's the same idea as with Koivu. You either meet him somewhere where he'll be satisfied or else you lose him.

Better to have him and have paid a bit too much than not to have him at all.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

One time I got a sub from Quizno's, it was a good sub, not a great sub but it did at least not leave me overly hungry, although I paid twelve bucks for it. I feel the same way about Bonk's play on the season as a whole.

However, when you look at the start of the season, then after the olympic break, then in the playoffs other patterns emerge.

Once he seemed to feel more comfortable physically he also seemed to start feeling more comfortable in general (which is obvious I know). His value was in my mind on the rise. Now with a fresh slate and a healthy training camp maybe he'll do what kaos suggests.

I don't know how much I'd bet on it though, maybe like twelve bucks...

:ninja:

Edited by The Saint

Yeah, I like Bonk... to be honest, it's very hard for me to dislike anyone that plays for montreal. There are a few exceptions here and there, but most of the time its smooth sailing. :hlogo:

One time I got a sub from Quizno's, it was a good sub, not a great sub but it did at least not leave me overly hungry, although I paid twelve bucks for it. I feel the same way about Bonk's play on the season as a whole.

However, when you look at the start of the season, then after the olympic break, then in the playoffs other patterns emerge.

Once he seemed to feel more comfortable physically he also seemed to start feeling more comfortable in general (which is obvious I know). His value was in my mind on the rise. Now with a fresh slate and a healthy training camp maybe he'll do what kaos suggests.

I don't know how much I'd bet on it though, maybe like twelve bucks...

:ninja:

Nicely put!

:clap:

My main point for this thread was the fact the people talk about the "untradeable" Bonk because of his outrageous salary, and the fact that people refer to the trade with LA as the "Huet trade", because everyone seems to lament the addition of Bonk. Of course, that was mostly after Garon had a few decent games for LA, and everyone was clamoring to have Garon back instead of Theodore (call if the traditional Habs fan lament of the "one that got away").

Personally, I'm still excited that Bonk is the Habs 3rd/4th line center.

My main point for this thread was the fact the people talk about the "untradeable" Bonk because of his outrageous salary, and the fact that people refer to the trade with LA as the "Huet trade", because everyone seems to lament the addition of Bonk. Of course, that was mostly after Garon had a few decent games for LA, and everyone was clamoring to have Garon back instead of Theodore (call if the traditional Habs fan lament of the "one that got away").

Personally, I'm still excited that Bonk is the Habs 3rd/4th line center.

As am I... I think we're gonna have great depth this year...

I thought the trade look horrible for the first half of the season, but once Gainey fired Julien, Bonk seemed to have turned his season around. I dont know if something went on behind the scenes, but Bonk seemed to play better under Gainey.

Bonk reminds me when we got Linden. Expectations were too high for what the guy could do; but still does an overall decent job. Nothing too fancy, nothing exciting, but nothing bad either. I think with him and Begin the Habs have the foundation of perhaps one of the best 4th line in the league. Its basically Line 3b.

I thought the trade look horrible for the first half of the season, but once Gainey fired Julien, Bonk seemed to have turned his season around. I dont know if something went on behind the scenes, but Bonk seemed to play better under Gainey.

Bonk reminds me when we got Linden. Expectations were too high for what the guy could do; but still does an overall decent job. Nothing too fancy, nothing exciting, but nothing bad either. I think with him and Begin the Habs have the foundation of perhaps one of the best 4th line in the league. Its basically Line 3b.

I think we've got a line 1a, 1b, 2 and 3... :D

Bonk was brought in for defense hes done great, only problem hes big and he should use his body a lot more. Also his salary isnt the best thing but eh he was signed before the cap was in place. Not much we can do about that.

I think we've got a line 1a, 1b, 2 and 3... :D

Actually, I'd go more with 2a, 2b, 3a and 3b...

I know many believe otherwise, but personnaly I dont think the Habs really have "sure things" 1st-line C's or LW's.