Am I The Only One That Doesn't Mind Bonk?

huzer

Bonk reminds me when we got Linden. Expectations were too high for what the guy could do; but still does an overall decent job. Nothing too fancy, nothing exciting, but nothing bad either. I think with him and Begin the Habs have the foundation of perhaps one of the best 4th line in the league. Its basically Line 3b.

problem in montreal is that every fan thinks he's smarter than the GM... We love and know our hockey SO MUCH, that we feel we could all do the job.

When the GM goes out and get SOMETHING to fill a HOLE (a big defensive center... contrarily to a guy like Juneau who could do a good job, but would get PUSHED around) and PAYS the price to do so, first reaction of the fan is NOT (although it should be):

"oh wow, what a smart move, we finally have a good (whatever BG says in the PC, in that instance: "big checking line center")"

No no no, the Montreal fan is way too knowledgeable to accept the decision of a simple NHL GM... the Montreal fan will INSTANTLY JUDGE the decision AS IF his own decision would have been better. Reaction of the Montreal fan:

"BG overpaid! and Traded such player! OMG did we get screwed, I hate that player already, he earns too much money, I'm gonna boo him, oh man he's gonna have a hard time here, I promise. Why didn't BG get xyz player instead, it's so easy to trade on my playstation... BG must be stupid to be unable to trade like that!!! I'm so much more intelligent and a better GM in my fantasy league."

Basically and it's ALWAYS like that, if BG does A, the fan whines, if BG does B instead, the fan whines...

example?

Before July 1st, LOTS of fans were praying for BG NOT to sign Arnott, YET, these same fans now whine b/c we didn't signed a UFA... and IF we had signed Arnott, they would have had too much and they would have booed him.

Another example?

From 1997 onward, we started losing our OWN UFAs, so forget about even thinking about signing some... Houle was notably doing a bad job... but above that, we couldn't pay...

2000 after losing many UFAs, the habs are depleted... longest standing Habs is scheduled to become a UFA. For the first time in 4 years, the team has some budget room and can think about retaining one of its OWN UFA... who moreover is a Qc born player... Management does its homework, do the comparatives, start long negotiations with the agent... and finally close a deal at... 4M per year.

First thing you know, you'd have guessed it, Patrice Brisebois is widely hated... because? because management did what was right. (ok I have to explain you all too there... yes Brisebois was overpaid at 4M... but WHEN the contract was negotiated was in the worse part of the crisis... at that time, Savage was asking for 5M!!! Yashin, Jagr, etc had just signed for 10M for 7-8-9years... even RFAs like Kariya were signing for 10M... etc.) What was right was trying to retain one of their key players...

Same thing happened when Rivet signed his contract.

Same thing happened with Bonk and Linden.

Same thing will happen this season with Ribeiro.

Actually, I'd go more with 2a, 2b, 3a and 3b...

I know many believe otherwise, but personnaly I dont think the Habs really have "sure things" 1st-line C's or LW's.

Kost Koivu Kovalev could really well be a legitimate 1st...

actually any line with Kovalev and Koivu on it is a legitimate 1st...

problem is then to try to avoid our 2nd become a 3rd... e.g. Dags Ribs and Ryder. :puke:

If Ribs can put together his effort (he's shown some at the end of last season and during the playoffs) and his talent (he's shown some 2 years ago), he could be usefull. I'd like to see him play with Latendresse or such a big guy...

I heard some time ago that if Latendresse has a great training camp, he'll probably stay in Montreal this time. Kostitsyn seemed more confortable in the NHL than the AHL last year. I remember a few of shifts with Kovalev and he looked pretty good. If I remember correctly, he got his first goal on his first shot. If both are NHL ready, if a UFA is signed they'll be less room for a rookie. Anyway, we still have to resign Higgins, Perezhogin, Ryder, Komisarek and possibly Aebischer, should we keep him. Maybe a rookie can have a 20 goal season for a third season in a row following Ryder and Higgins. Stick with the youth I say.

As for Bonk, although he is overpaid and after a horrible first half, he was great on the PK and played very well defensively in the second half and playoffs. If if could only put up some better numbers next year and score a few more goals, it'd be great. He's still a skilled player, he was just never as flamboyant than some of the players he got to play with in Ottawa, even though he got loads of points. People expected him to put up some better numbers.

I heard some time ago that if Latendresse has a great training camp, he'll probably stay in Montreal this time. Kostitsyn seemed more confortable in the NHL than the AHL last year. I remember a few of shifts with Kovalev and he looked pretty good. If I remember correctly, he got his first goal on his first shot. If both are NHL ready, if a UFA is signed they'll be less room for a rookie. Anyway, we still have to resign Higgins, Perezhogin, Ryder, Komisarek and possibly Aebischer, should we keep him. Maybe a rookie can have a 20 goal season for a third season in a row following Ryder and Higgins. Stick with the youth I say.

As for Bonk, although he is overpaid and after a horrible first half, he was great on the PK and played very well defensively in the second half and playoffs. If if could only put up some better numbers next year and score a few more goals, it'd be great. He's still a skilled player, he was just never as flamboyant than some of the players he got to play with in Ottawa, even though he got loads of points. People expected him to put up some better numbers.

Someone had put an article on one of the forum topics that sayed Aebi was re-signed at the same time as Huet. I don't remember wich tread it was or where was the article but I know I saw it on this site and I know that it was at the bottom of the article as a passing note almost.

Sory it is a great memory it just doesn't last very long!!!

can the people who saw it and know where it is PLEASE help me out here, so don't come off as an ignoramus as they say in latin.

Edited by ehjay

Someone had put an article on one of the forum topics that sayed Aebi was re-signed at the same time as Huet. I don't remember wich tread it was or where was the article but I know I saw it on this site and I know that it was at the bottom of the article as a passing note almost.

Sory it is a great memory it just doesn't last very long!!!

can the people who saw it and know where it is PLEASE help me out here, so don't come off as an ignoramus as they say in latin.

Aebischer Accepts Habs' Qualifying Offer

Huzer where do you get these thoughts! blasphemous!!! hehe you must be new to HW or just trying to stir the Pot just for laughs!

BEgin and Mr Bonkers were outstanding PK line! Begin couldnt do as well with no other player and vis versa!

But heck we've been saying this for months!!

NEW TOPIC PLEASE ... Thank you

problem in montreal is that every fan thinks he's smarter than the GM... We love and know our hockey SO MUCH, that we feel we could all do the job.

When the GM goes out and get SOMETHING to fill a HOLE (a big defensive center... contrarily to a guy like Juneau who could do a good job, but would get PUSHED around) and PAYS the price to do so, first reaction of the fan is NOT (although it should be):

"oh wow, what a smart move, we finally have a good (whatever BG says in the PC, in that instance: "big checking line center")"

No no no, the Montreal fan is way too knowledgeable to accept the decision of a simple NHL GM... the Montreal fan will INSTANTLY JUDGE the decision AS IF his own decision would have been better. Reaction of the Montreal fan:

"BG overpaid! and Traded such player! OMG did we get screwed, I hate that player already, he earns too much money, I'm gonna boo him, oh man he's gonna have a hard time here, I promise. Why didn't BG get xyz player instead, it's so easy to trade on my playstation... BG must be stupid to be unable to trade like that!!! I'm so much more intelligent and a better GM in my fantasy league."

Basically and it's ALWAYS like that, if BG does A, the fan whines, if BG does B instead, the fan whines...

example?

Before July 1st, LOTS of fans were praying for BG NOT to sign Arnott, YET, these same fans now whine b/c we didn't signed a UFA... and IF we had signed Arnott, they would have had too much and they would have booed him.

Another example?

From 1997 onward, we started losing our OWN UFAs, so forget about even thinking about signing some... Houle was notably doing a bad job... but above that, we couldn't pay...

2000 after losing many UFAs, the habs are depleted... longest standing Habs is scheduled to become a UFA. For the first time in 4 years, the team has some budget room and can think about retaining one of its OWN UFA... who moreover is a Qc born player... Management does its homework, do the comparatives, start long negotiations with the agent... and finally close a deal at... 4M per year.

First thing you know, you'd have guessed it, Patrice Brisebois is widely hated... because? because management did what was right. (ok I have to explain you all too there... yes Brisebois was overpaid at 4M... but WHEN the contract was negotiated was in the worse part of the crisis... at that time, Savage was asking for 5M!!! Yashin, Jagr, etc had just signed for 10M for 7-8-9years... even RFAs like Kariya were signing for 10M... etc.) What was right was trying to retain one of their key players...

Same thing happened when Rivet signed his contract.

Same thing happened with Bonk and Linden.

Same thing will happen this season with Ribeiro.

Kost Koivu Kovalev could really well be a legitimate 1st...

actually any line with Kovalev and Koivu on it is a legitimate 1st...

problem is then to try to avoid our 2nd become a 3rd... e.g. Dags Ribs and Ryder. :puke:

Hey, I nominate this for post of the year. :hlogo:

Trades have to be evaluated based on the information available at the time of the deal. y that standard, Bonk for Garon was a good trade. Of course, with Huet's success and Garon's mediocrity, it now looks utterly brilliant.

Good for you, Alexstream, for having some historical memory and pegging whiny Habs fans for what they are. B)

I think that everybody has a very short memory. Bonk was bashed all of last year by everybody on this forum including me. I on the other hand will not change my mind so quickly now that we are in the off season and have high hopes for the upcoming year. Bonk is overpaid and slow, too slow for us this year, I would love to see him gone this year and replaced by a cheaper, faster and more energetic kid who comes to play every shift. Bonk is lazy and plays when he wants to, that will not change this year. Mark my words the Bonk bashing will begin on this forum within 2 weeks of the start of the season and it won't end until we trade him, or the season ends. I can't believe how everybody jumps on the bandwagon around here, this is silly. Short memories. I hope this is remembered when the season starts because I will be sure to revisit it the first time the complaints start rolling in and mark my words they will start coming.

I think that everybody has a very short memory. Bonk was bashed all of last year by everybody on this forum including me. I on the other hand will not change my mind so quickly now that we are in the off season and have high hopes for the upcoming year. Bonk is overpaid and slow, too slow for us this year, I would love to see him gone this year and replaced by a cheaper, faster and more energetic kid who comes to play every shift. Bonk is lazy and plays when he wants to, that will not change this year. Mark my words the Bonk bashing will begin on this forum within 2 weeks of the start of the season and it won't end until we trade him, or the season ends. I can't believe how everybody jumps on the bandwagon around here, this is silly. Short memories. I hope this is remembered when the season starts because I will be sure to revisit it the first time the complaints start rolling in and mark my words they will start coming.

Ha! I'm glad to see someone is finally being honest, I knew it wasn't a dream on my part.

And some of us may have bashed Bonk before we knew more details. The right to change one's opinion based on new information is an important element in our society, just as hanging on to personal opinion as fact seems to be in these forums.

And not that I don't think Bonk is a tad slow, but have you ever had a groin injury? They do hurt but it's more the decrease in strength and power in a key part of the body that makes it linger. It's not that you don't want to go faster or harder, it's that if you go too hard, even slightly, you can tweak it and prolong the length of time of the injury.

And if your memory is so good, then you have clearly chosen to forget some of Bonk's excellent games toward the end of the year, or it was too little too late for too much dough in your mind.

I for one think he was just getting started with a new team and a new identity as a role player and feel he can still contribute to the Habs success.

But he does look like Sleepy Bear from those old Travelodge Ads...

:ninja:

Edited by The Saint

Bonk has been great for us all along. The only reason why people bashed him was because they thought he was expensive and that we could get a cheaper guy. Now, with all the high-price free agent signings, players' maket value went up and Bonk is no longer too expensive.

And he isn't too slow anyway. He pulled his groin and even if he hadn't, he can use his size and skill to make him look faster than he really he is.

Good post! The truth is Bonk is way overrated. For what he provides to the team he is not even a $1Million player. Yes he is big but this is why they got him to go against Sundin and the rest of the East big players. Unfortunately he is too slow (Groin pull or not) to even check Toronto's star swedish player. So it is left to have Koivu go head to head with them.

The best thing I like about Bonk is that this is his last year of the horrid contract and maybe he will prove his naysayers (Me) wrong. I will cheer for him and hope he has a fabulous year. It would definitely make me a bad Habs fan to wish doom and gloom on him. :hlogo:

I will cheer for him and hope he has a fabulous year. It would definitely make me a bad Habs fan to wish doom and gloom on him. :hlogo:

Nicely put InsaneAVSfan, at the very least, let's hope all Habs fans are cheering on Les Boys and not sending out the bad mojo...even Habs they wish weren't Habs...come on, I remember cheering for Doug freakin' Gilmour...

Edited by The Saint

Bonk did a stellar job defensively last year, but was horrible in the playoffs while replacing Koivu as an offensive center. I think that he needs to work on his hands and foot speed. If Bonk does do conditioning and training this summer I am fully confident that he could be a dominating two way player. He did put up big offensive numbers in junior, and he was drafted #1 overall. So I think he has it in him ... but as it was up to Neo to open the door, so it is to Bonk. Here's hoping he does!

Nicely put InsaneAVSfan, at the very least, let's hope all Habs fans are cheering on Les Boys and not sending out the bad mojo...even Habs they wish weren't Habs...come on, I remember cheering for Doug freakin' Gilmour...

Hey, I loved Dougie...He was so intense all the time and actually gave a damn. I remember him slamming a penalty box door so hard that it shattered in the series that Montreal lost against Carolina that year.

Hey, I loved Dougie...He was so intense all the time and actually gave a damn. I remember him slamming a penalty box door so hard that it shattered in the series that Montreal lost against Carolina that year.

I loved Dougie too! I remember being pissed when we first got him, because he was an "evil" ex-Leaf, but he sure changed my mind fast. I was sad to see him go, but I enjoyed his brief, yet explosive stay in Montreal, home of the hockey gods!

I loved Dougie too! I remember being pissed when we first got him, because he was an "evil" ex-Leaf, but he sure changed my mind fast. I was sad to see him go, but I enjoyed his brief, yet explosive stay in Montreal, home of the hockey gods!

As much as many Leafy type fans (not you dark_faerie87) and T-Dot media want everyone to believe Doug was a Leaf, he was a temporary leaf. I remember he won the cup with Calgary in his best years. He was a Flame Superstar which fizzled out when he went to loser Leaf town. Why is it that every Toronto fan thinks a guy is only a Leaf once he puts on a Leaf jersey? Man they are pathetic.

Bonk will always be remembered as a Senator when he eventually retires, which I have no problem with. The best part of his years were spent with Ottawa. When a player has his best years with one team, that is the team people recognize him with. This is just my opinion of course...

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

I like Bonk... he can play at both ends... he just had an unfortunate injury which happened to lead to a slump. At the end of the season he was one of our better players. Give him someone to work with consistently and he'll be fine.

C-Love, wan't it you who posted how we should get rid of Huet? Change your mind? For the record, I always appriciated the role Bonk plays. During the pentaly kill he stands his ground and makes it miserable for the oppenents utilizing that long reach. I think Bonk is overpaid and the 'potential star status' title that had been dogging him for years has made expectations too high. I think weu would have a less efficiant pentaly kill without him. I do not want that. And for the record, I also think the Bonk bashing will start 2 weeks into the season and was a little surprised to see this posting.

As much as many Leafy type fans (not you dark_faerie87) and T-Dot media want everyone to believe Doug was a Leaf, he was a temporary leaf. I remember he won the cup with Calgary in his best years. He was a Flame Superstar which fizzled out when he went to loser Leaf town. Why is it that every Toronto fan thinks a guy is only a Leaf once he puts on a Leaf jersey? Man they are pathetic.

Bonk will always be remembered as a Senator when he eventually retires, which I have no problem with. The best part of his years were spent with Ottawa. When a player has his best years with one team, that is the team people recognize him with. This is just my opinion of course...

Well, to be fair, I was only four/five years old when he began playing for Toronto. :blush:

I got a kick out of it when the Amazing Dougie took off the Laff jersey and instantly became the Shitty Dougie when he donned the Sabers. And then the No longer sucks Dougie comes back. :lol:

Personally, I like Bonk. He could get more points, but there are several players who could too, but these other players couldnt possibly improve the PK. :P Or have the same physical presence either. ;) Bonk isnt one of the Euro's I dislike, mainly because he is a lot bigger and stronger, and isnt an easy push over like a lot of the Habs F are.

Also, I think Bonk needs a bit of a line change. I'm not sure who should replace the 1 Wing, but I definitely think he could get more points with a different winger. :D

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

Huckleberry,

yes it was me that suggested that Huet was not NHL caliber, (you have a great memory). I stand by that comment and will until he proves me otherwise. He will be starting this season as Montreal's go-to guy and our success this year will fall solely on his shoulders. Without him playing the way he did to finish the year last year we are screwed, and I don't think he will. He is not a young kid, he has been around for quite a while and never amounted to much. However, I will be cheering for him all year but I just don't think he will get the job done, and frankly I kind of picture a Steve Penny type of year coming.

I know everybody is reading this thinking I am a pessimistic ass but reality is this guy is going to have a world of pressure coming down on him and I don't think he is talented enough to hold it together. Last year coming in to his starting role, he had absolutely nothing to lose, if he did well great, if he didn't, no big deal because noone expected much from him anyway.

Anyway I digress but I hope your memory is as good this year as last because I foresee us going through a couple goalies this year before it is all said and done.

Huckleberry,

yes it was me that suggested that Huet was not NHL caliber, (you have a great memory). I stand by that comment and will until he proves me otherwise. He will be starting this season as Montreal's go-to guy and our success this year will fall solely on his shoulders. Without him playing the way he did to finish the year last year we are screwed, and I don't think he will. He is not a young kid, he has been around for quite a while and never amounted to much. However, I will be cheering for him all year but I just don't think he will get the job done, and frankly I kind of picture a Steve Penny type of year coming.

I know everybody is reading this thinking I am a pessimistic ass but reality is this guy is going to have a world of pressure coming down on him and I don't think he is talented enough to hold it together. Last year coming in to his starting role, he had absolutely nothing to lose, if he did well great, if he didn't, no big deal because noone expected much from him anyway.

Anyway I digress but I hope your memory is as good this year as last because I foresee us going through a couple goalies this year before it is all said and done.

I will say this. In the season before the lockout, Huet played in goal down most of the stretch after Cechmanek was injured and very nearly took an injury-decimated Kings team to the playoffs. He had a pretty damn good year if you ask me. So it's not like Huet has been a shitty goalie for like eight years and then has an awesome season out of the blue. In my opinion, he's been improving each and every year, just like most younger goalies. And remember, Cristobal did not start playing until he was older, in his teens I believe. His development is likely going to be a few years behind.

Huckleberry,

yes it was me that suggested that Huet was not NHL caliber, (you have a great memory).

Right now I am not sure if Huet is the number 1 guy that many have their hopes pinned on. He has done well in his NHL career and now has the opportunity to prove that he should be the guy that helps Montreal evolve into a contender. In the Canadiens goalie organization chart, he really is the best of the bunch at this time and played many time over better than Theo. He has earned the right to prove he is the premier goalie for the team with the most stanley Cup wins.

If Montreal does pick up another Center like Lang, I believe it will take quite a bit of pressure off of Bonk. The best thing I can see about Bonk this year is that he wil be more productive (checking, scoring, leadership) as it is the end of his contract. I find it amazing how players in any sport step up their play in contract years.