Something To Consider?

I'm among the many who are mildly disappointed about the Habs' failure to bag a UFA (I'd still like to see Samsonov, myself), but I'm not too worried, because of the young talent. One thing to bear in mind, though, is that, next summer, Souray and Rivet are slated to become UFAs and Markov an RFA. The latter, in particular, could well land upward of $5 mil. Souray might look for a raise as well. Rivet will probably settle for the NHL equivalent of inflation - him I'd expect to see staying around.

According to Habsworld the Habs' payroll was $32 mil last season, 7 mil under the cap. But you can see a good chunk of that 7 mil being eaten up by Markov, Souray, and who knows, some other young player(s) on one-year deals (e.g., Higgins) that have a breakout season. And don't forget Ryder.

This summer's free agent follies could prove to be short-term pain in exchange for our longer-term ability to keep the talent we've got, and keep 'em happy.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I'm among the many who are mildly disappointed about the Habs' failure to bag a UFA (I'd still like to see Samsonov, myself), but I'm not too worried, because of the young talent. One thing to bear in mind, though, is that, next summer, Souray and Rivet are slated to become UFAs and Markov an RFA. The latter, in particular, could well land upward of $5 mil. Souray might look for a raise as well. Rivet will probably settle for the NHL equivalent of inflation - him I'd expect to see staying around.

According to Habsworld the Habs' payroll was $32 mil last season, 7 mil under the cap. But you can see a good chunk of that 7 mil being eaten up by Markov, Souray, and who knows, some other young player(s) on one-year deals (e.g., Higgins) that have a breakout season. And don't forget Ryder.

This summer's free agent follies could prove to be short-term pain in exchange for our longer-term ability to keep the talent we've got, and keep 'em happy.

I still believe Souray will be traded before next season's trade deadline.

We did our best, but at least we didn't sell the farm so to speak on 1 or 2 players.

I think Bob knows what we have, both in the NHL and guys on the farm and knows the talent we have. I think we'll still do a couple deals before the season is over

Markov will have to play even better than he did last season to get that kind of money.

Markov will be making 2 million this year and if he continues what he started last season I think 3 million tops are what he's worth.

Souray getting 5? It's a no-no. Souray has to end the season with a + in the +/- and at the same time get around 40 points if he want that kind of money.

Rivet is reliable and 2.2 is about his value.

Komisarek is the one that could be up for the biggest raise.

Souray would get 3M on the free agency market right now.

I'm hoping we see some good defensive work from him this year, and he plays like he did in 2003/04. Not last season's defensive adventurer Souray.

Rivet would re-sign for what he earns right now. Andrei Markov probably would get longterm 3-4million...

Markov will have to play even better than he did last season to get that kind of money.

Markov will be making 2 million this year and if he continues what he started last season I think 3 million tops are what he's worth.

Souray getting 5? It's a no-no. Souray has to end the season with a + in the +/- and at the same time get around 40 points if he want that kind of money.

Rivet is reliable and 2.2 is about his value.

Komisarek is the one that could be up for the biggest raise.

I dunno Kubina got 5.

lets compare his stats to markov

Kubina G=5 A=33 P=38 +/- = -12

Markov G=10 A=36 P=46 +/- = 13

Markov could command alot next year

I dunno Kubina got 5.

Yeah, but Markov isn't getting signed by the Leafs. :lol:

Seriously, Markov is gonna cost us a lot. 5M is very possible. And I would definitely pay him that much.

We need Markov to be here when Emelin arrives, and yeah that will cost us. But how much lost time did we experience with Markov because of his English language skills and the fact that he didn't always have a mentor, especially on D.

If we had Markov to help bring Emelin along, I suspect we could shorten up the learning curve and transition time significantly.

:ninja:

I agree. I'm looking forward to seeing the young guys grow and make their impact.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I agree. I'm looking forward to seeing the young guys grow and make their impact.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

SOmething that wouldn't happen if Montreal had signed all these free agents that everybody keeps talking about.

Gainey is not bringing any overpaid free agents right now, because he wants to save the valuable cap space for Markov, Souray and the younger kids next summer

Good post.

I believe that once the UFA dust settles there will be a lot of GMs regretting their itching singing fingers. There sure seemed to be a lot of cash over a long period of time handed out this season. There is more than a few teams that have committed themselves to little movement on their current roster for the entire season. Doing such seems like too much of a gamble for my liking. Sometimes the tortoise does win.

I agree with this as well. Some teams have been burning money but when the dust settles they will see that they overpaid and didn't improve their team much, with aging big names from seasons past. I believe with the exception of the drafting jaugernault Philly we have the best young farm in the league. We are absolutely stacked with young talent, which is kind of weird because we have drafted so poorly for the last decade. I don't know how we made out so well. Gainey's picks are still out to the jury, we'll have to see. I still am a little hesitant on Price, afterall he did get cut from the Canadian junior team last year, that is usually a pretty good indication of who is the best junior goalie in the Country and he didn't make the top 3. If he again doesn't make the team this year I will really be nervous.

We need Markov to be here when Emelin arrives, and yeah that will cost us.

Ok, but regardless of whether Emelin develops or arrives, Markov's still the best defenseman on the team. We need him more for that reason than anything to do with a prospect defender who is years away.

I dunno Kubina got 5.

Kubina's new contract could be look upon as a good indication on what type of salary

an UNRESTRICTED Markov type player could command ONCE he reached such status but

Markov's next contract will be negotiated under a RESTRICTED status.

Yet a more than significant raised is to be expected in his case while on the other hand

Souray and Rivet will be up for grap and decisions will have to be taken about the stip raises

Souray will be bound to fetch then.

A team roster's salary invariably goes-up higher the following year yet it is tempered by veterans

being replaced by cheaper alternatives the like of which Bonk and Zednick will likely be.

In our evolving scenario getting the help we need throught the aquisition of a UFA player willing

to sign a short term one year contract was and is still such a no-brainer decision.........I am glad

that Gainey at least fought hard this year to get ourselves one of those rare birds in Shanahan....

we didn't get him, but unlike Selanne last year,.......it is conforting to know that he didn't go un-noticed

by Gainey.

The only '' no long term commitment '' player left in the UFA market this year is Bondra. I wonder if he

would be considered by the CH for a one year contract ?

Bondra is retiring. It's not official but it wold be veyr surprising if he returns, according to Thrashers management.

I think cucumber hit it smack on!

if our best prospects live up to expectations next yeat do we wanna risk having to get rid of them in the near future like Ottawa has had too because of money issues?... I know our porspects might not all be at hte spezza or mezaros level but I think BG cannot do anything unless the return and longterm sustainability of the Habs team remains intact!

here we go I'm bridging my work with Hockey now "The Habs team sustainability" concept.... Now I know I've lost it!

There will be money for Markov next year as Bonk and Zednik combined steal $4Mil + from the Habs this year. Next year they are cleared from the cap, goodbye. I think with all the short contracts Bob gainey is handing out, some guys might be on the bubble whether they stay on the team or not next year.

Insane Nordic fan that is true as well .... Bob has given the team ample room for 2007-08 in case of this upcoming next season comes with a twist or a surprise or three!...

Insane Nordic fan that is true as well .... Bob has given the team ample room for 2007-08 in case of this upcoming next season comes with a twist or a surprise or three!...

:D As a long time Habs fan, I hated(profanity removed) the DIC! When they moved to the Mountains it was great for me as Sakic is one of my all time favorite players which helped me to become an Avalanche fan too.

I agree, there is something up in Gainey land. He is so calm cool and collected I think you would have a better chance of winning a lottery than getting any information out of him. Kind of like when him and Carbo played together to help deliver that beautiful Silver Mug to the Habs.

My comments re: Markov as mentor for Emelin were meant to point out a potentially non-obvious reason for keeping him around. Of course he is our best defenceman, I just didn't think I had to point out the obvious reasons for our need to re-sign him.

And more to the point of this topic, it will either be patience or good ole' fashioned dumb luck that we have "all this cap space".

If any of the reports are true , Gainey was going after guys, he apparently offered more for Shanny than Detroit and the Rangers, and that's only the one that I've heard about for sure.

So, though Bob may come out of this looking like the patient hero it could simply be that he was unable to capture any of the UFA's he targeted.

All I know for sure is that beyond Markov, I am still not comfortable enough with our D. I mean they are capable, but I want more than just freakin' capable! I want the cup! And not just 1, a whole freakin' bunch of them, just like my daddy and my daddy's daddy got from their Habs!

So is Bob a genius or simply fortunate that the "big names", read "price tags" chose to go elsewhere? I dunno. I am sure many of you have the answer...

:ninja:

Gainey made it clear on more than a few occasions about their intentions towards acquiring an offensive

forward from the UFA market and it seems that overbiding the Rangers to get Shanahan demonstrated just

how anthousiastic they where about trying to get him over here.

He also warned whoever was listening that to get a forward from this year's shallow market wouldn't make things easy for him..........he was right on all accounts.

I liked his original intention and I am disapointed that it didn't worked out the way he was hoping for......

as I dont see at this point in time how anything ressembling what he had in mind could ever get materialised

this summer.

Gainey's picks are still out to the jury, we'll have to see. I still am a little hesitant on Price, afterall he did get cut from the Canadian junior team last year, that is usually a pretty good indication of who is the best junior goalie in the Country and he didn't make the top 3. If he again doesn't make the team this year I will really be nervous.

After reading your comment that you’re somewhat concerned that Price did not make the 2006 version of the Canadian Junior team, I decided to delve into the goalies who have played for the team over the years. A bit of research has turned up the following facts and a few observations can be drawn from them.

If you look as far back as 1986(20 years) records indicate the following goaltending tandems that represented Canada each year.

1986 – Craig Billington, Sean Burke

1987 – Jim Waite, Shawn Simpson

1988 – Jim Waite, Jeff Hackett(no games played)

1989 – Stephane Fiset, Gus Morschauser

1990 - Stephane Fiset, Trevor Kidd

1991 – Trevor Kidd, Felix Potvin

1992 – Trevor Kidd, Mike Fountain

1993 – Manny Legace, Phillipe de Rouville

1994 – Jamie Storr, Emmanuel Fernandez

1995 – Dan Cloutier, Jamie Storr

1996 – Jose Theodore, Marc Denis

1997 – Marc Denis, Martin Biron

1998 - Mathieu Garon, Roberto Luongo

1999 - Roberto Luongo, Robert Finley

2000 - Maxime Ouellet, Brian Finley

2001 – Maxime Ouellet, Alex Auld

2002 - Pascal Leclaire, Olivier Michaud

2003 – Marc-Andre Fleury, David Le Neveu

2004 - Marc-Andre Fleury, Josh Harding

2005 – Jeff Glass, Rejean Beauchemin

2006 – Justin Pogge, Devin Dubnyk

Goalies listed in bold type were the clear cut number one starters that year who carried most, if not all of the load at that tournament. There were a few years that for one reason or another no one particular netminder was designated, or emerged as number one, and as a result they shared the load fairly evenly over the course of the tournament.

Some of the goalies cut according to what limited records that available were:

1 - Jean Sebastien Giguere & Craig Hillier in 1997

2 - Jason Labarbera in 1999

3 - Simon Lajuenesse & Kenric Exner in 2000

4 - Pascal Leclair was cut in 2001 & 2002

5 - Cam Ward & Jeff Drouin- Deslauriers were cut in 2003

6 - Maxime Daigneault was cut in 2004

7 - Julien Ellis & Carey Price were cut in 2006

In Pascal Leclair's case, he was cut two years in a row before becoming the starter in 2002 ahead of Olivier Michaud.

Michaud unfortunately has just never seemed to fulfill his potential.

Brian Finley made two trips to the tournament, but only started one game in those two years.

Jeff Hackett didn't get a single start in his only tournament, but had a solid NHL career.

He won the AHL playoff MVP in 1989/90 and played in 500 games over 18 NHL seasons with a career average of 2.90 goals against. Jim Waite who was selected as the number one goalie over Hackett that year, played a grand total of 106 games in the NHL with a goals against average of 3.35

Simpson, Morschauser, de Rouville, Finley, Le Neveu, Michaud are either still to young to tell, or have been outright flops despite the fact they were either invited to camp, or were actually selected to the final roster.

So if you look at this lineup of 'all-star' goalies you can draw the conclusion that there is no real or definite value to be put into the fact that you were either A/ selected to, or B/ cut from the Junior team roster.

In fact it can be pointed out that a lot of NHL goalies didn't even get an invitation to camp and yet they still went on to have solid, if not better careers through the years.

And then there is the matter of skaters who have been selected, have had solid tournaments and yet never made the grade in the NHL. As well many great players haven't been selected to that team that have played extremely well in the NHL despite their being overlooked for whatever reason. The bottom line is that not all players make this team due to the depth of our system, the wrong choices are sometimes made, and in some cases players don't fit into the program for a lot of reasons.

As far as Price goes, as of now Hockey Canada views him as a potential candidate for this years roster, but if a goalie is having a better season, or for whatever reason - well one must remember that it's all about winning at that level.....

And if you take a closer look at Price, he was the youngest goalie invited to that camp as the other three are all a birth year ahead of him. Age is and always has been a factor in this selection process. And Pogge was the better choice given the way he played - there is no arguing that fact(Leaf prospect or not?)

If you ask me, to judge this draft choice based on whether he makes this team or not doesn't necessarily have much foundation, especially when you look at the history of this roster.

Edited by beliveau1

. I still am a little hesitant on Price, afterall he did get cut from the Canadian junior team last year, that is usually a pretty good indication of who is the best junior goalie in the Country and he didn't make the top 3. If he again doesn't make the team this year I will really be nervous.

price was to be the starting goalie but suter didn't appreciate the fact that price didn't show up to an optional practice on a game day, a thing he says he never does since he's playing later on. I agree with what suter did to price, and latendresse for that matter. they both got an intensive course on work ethic