Gainey's Point Of View So Far

I only found it if french.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/hockey/2...bs-gainey.shtml

To summarize quickly:

1) Gainey is into plan D (Elias, Arnott and Shanahan were is plans A,B,C)

2) He says that Mtl in no different then other teams and taxes have nothing to do with UFAs not coming, its just circonstances

3) The Hbas only have a limited amount of players they were interested in, but many teams were after them also

4) He will only sign a player if they waant him and at the right price (he said that there was a few very heavy and very long contracts given this summer and he doesn't want to be stuck with a player for many seasons)

5) He's looking for a forward, Sykora is a possibility and a trade is also a possibility

6) Gainey completely dismisses the possibility of making an offer sheet to a RFA saying "it is not a good way to go to obtain a player"

Enjoy :D

I only found it if french.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/hockey/2...bs-gainey.shtml

To summarize quickly:

1) Gainey is into plan D (Elias, Arnott and Shanahan were is plans A,B,C)

2) He says that Mtl in no different then other teams and taxes have nothing to do with UFAs not coming, its just circonstances

3) The Hbas only have a limited amount of players they were interested in, but many teams were after them also

4) He will only sign a player if they waant him and at the right price (he said that there was a few very heavy and very long contracts given this summer and he doesn't want to be stuck with a player for many seasons)

5) He's looking for a forward, Sykora is a possibility and a trade is also a possibility

6) Gainey completely dismisses the possibility of making an offer sheet to a RFA saying "it is not a good way to go to obtain a player"

Enjoy :D

Gainey fooled a lot of us - we thought he was into plan "H" or something. Also, I'd be interested in knowing what his 'right price' is for a FA if he can give Ribero 1.9 mil. And as far as him being agains making an offer sheet - well other general managers don't seem to have a problem with it. :o

Gainey fooled a lot of us - we thought he was into plan "H" or something. Also, I'd be interested in knowing what his 'right price' is for a FA if he can give Ribero 1.9 mil. And as far as him being agains making an offer sheet - well other general managers don't seem to have a problem with it. :o

Name one GM who has officially given an offer to an RFA for the last few years.

Wouldn't Lamoriello secertely be hoping someone makes Gionta or Gomez an offer? Their trade value went down since it's common knowledge that the Devils are painted into a corner. I think New Jersey would be happy with the picks. Then again, it would be best if they're able to keep them which is unlikely. It's even more unlikely that an RFA sheet offer is made.

Ribeiro can stay. It's a year so who really cares. Our system (barring trade or signing) needs Ribeiro, unfortunately. I hope he is reborn! We all do!

For now at least. Gainey gave him a one year deal.

Actually, I'm delighted with how shrewd Gainey can be. It's true we don't want to lose some of our RFA's a year from now in the UFA market.

BUT, Gainey is in a glorious position to once again reshape the team the way he wants for 2008. I'm not saying I want him to reshape it but to have this luxury? That's awesome.

The lack of long term commitments isn't that risky and here's why; Both Higgins and Komisarek will be resignable next year. Both of them and especially Higgins want to be in Montreal.

By signing Komi and Higgins, Gainey now can focus his attention on Ryder and Perezhogin and not have to worry about some jerk to make an RFA pitch. Besides, Gainey doesn't mess around. He signs the team in a short period!

HE DELIVERS!

When they sign Ryder and Perezhogin the signing of our original team will be COMPLETE :lol:

I always love that summer day every year when it happens.

I'm impressed that Gainey wants short term UFA's. I have a feeling we will get a character player who can help. :hlogo:

And THAT is why I love Bob Gainey!

Smart and funny.....I am glad he finallly got his player(s) today,...good work Bob !

I am glad that Samsonov is the guy....this player is a treat to watch.

“I’m sure you would like to get married, but you want it to be with the right person, right?”

he told that to andie bennett...gosh I wish I was the right person :blush:

At first I wanted to start a new topic.... and SHOUTING that another trade inevitably is coming !!! But then I started thinking about how Gainey in less than 24 hours (before the multiplayer signing on Wednesday) had said how he was still looking around for UFa etc… but no doubt was leaving a spot for a new rook…. Or maybe it’s another smoke curtain to confuse the other 28 GMs ( 28 cause he has to negotiate with at least one other right?)

In any case Today BG said we have 13 signed forwards! But like I said He did say he would definitely leave a spot in the roster for a rookie!... this would make it 14 right? SO WHO’s gotta go?

Kosty is bound to start next season (whom I think is the top contender) he has to be playing with the team come October ! So is it No show for Kosty? Or is Gainey going to pull another rabbit out of his hat?

I believe the second which means: at least one of the previous 13 signed is or are candidates to be playing elsewhere next season! All this to allow a spot for a Rook of course.

Candidates : Ribs and yes Ryder! Believe me I agree all players have a right to go to arbitration (BUT IT STILL STINKS no matter what)

What about Perez and Plek? Hmmm perhaps Plek (he’s the poorman’s Koivu) Not that I want him to go, au contraire but it seems to me that he might be the most sought after player of the two!

So whats it gonna be ladies and grunts? The 13 that we have now? Or is Gainey prepared to trade one more player for draft picks…. Another 2nd or 3rd round pick for 2007? Let me see trading next year’s First round pick plus TWO second round picks and TWO Third Round Picks could easily get us FIRST ROUND OVERALL pick of 2007! But nahhhh that’s pushing it too much

Ofcourse Downey could be headed to Hamilton at 475 K … hmmm I doubt it!

again, only one forward was added to the team yesterday with the loss of Zednik. The Habs played with 2 extra forwards all year last year and lost 2 with Bulis and Sunstrom leaving.

Samsonov replaces Zednik

Johnson replaces Bulis

Kostitsyn replaces Sundstrom

If the Habs are still in the market for a power forward then I expect 1 forward to be traded along with Aebischer. (IMO one of either Ribeiro or Perezhogin)

Ofcourse Downey could be headed to Hamilton at 475 K … hmmm I doubt it!

Why would that be so far fetched????

wasn't a similar stunt pulled upon Dagenais and a couple others last year?

but you are right about such a high price for an AHL player.