Gainey Grabs Samsonov!

kenadian

Oh Sammi the Habbie, I love that you dream BIG! Forgive me for the opportunistic name suggestion...

Maybe this is one of the fringe benefits of having Kovy, he can help attract some of the russian sharp shooters. I'd be alright with that.

Maybe Kovalenko will come out of retirement??? and we could have the Kovalchuk, Kovalev and Kovalenko trio...I'd love to hear the RDS bouffons tandem massacre that all year!

:ninja:

Edited by The Saint

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if this makes us frontrunners to bring in Ovechkin and Kovalchuk when they hit free agency. *drool*

:o wouldn't that be SWEEEEEEEEEEEET

I wonder if this makes us frontrunners to bring in Ovechkin and Kovalchuk when they hit free agency. *drool*

Haha... if that ever happend they'd have to change the name to The Montreal Russiens! :P

:hlogo:

I don't think Detroit will trade Lang now that Shanahan is no longer w/ them and Zeterberg and Datsyuk are still gonna need a center

....?

But Datsyuk IS a centre... :wacko:

Oh Sammi the Habbie, I love that you dream BIG! Forgive me for the opportunistic name suggestion...

Maybe this is one of the fringe benefits of having Kovy, he can help attract some of the russian sharp shooters. I'd be alright with that.

Maybe Kovalenko will come out of retirement??? and we could have the Kovalchuk, Kovalev and Kovalenko trio...I'd love to hear the RDS bouffons tandem massacre that all year!

:ninja:

Or we could re-unite Koivu and Kovalev and toss Kostitsyn on with them to create the KKK Line! :king:

....?

But Datsyuk IS a centre... :wacko:

Or we could re-unite Koivu and Kovalev and toss Kostitsyn on with them to create the KKK Line! :king:

My bad,

I haven't seen hockey on tele in so long that I forget what wich position players play,

It is a great memory but it doesn't last long. :blush:

You can end all the speculation. Gainey himself said Samsonov was brought in to play with Kovalev. He didnt say who would play between them though...

« Les discussions se sont intensifiées hier avec son agent et nous sommes très heureux d'avoir pu en arriver à une entente. Sergeï est un joueur de premier plan qui dans les faits remplacera Jan Bulis sur le flanc gauche du trio complété par Alex Kovalev. C'est un joueur de petite taille – 5' 8'' et 194 livres – qui devra se faire une place, mais c'est aussi un gars de talent, très rapide et qui est capable d'évoluer au sein des attaques massives, ce qui sera un gros plus, compte tenu que l'an dernier nous pouvions compter sur Michael Ryder seulement à titre d'attaquant droitier lors des attaques à cinq », a commenté Bob Gainey sans pour autant spécifier qui, de Saku Koivu ou de Mike Ribeiro, aurait la « chance » de se retrouver au centre de ce duo russe qui pourrait faire des étincelles.

In short, Gainey says that Sammy's a 1st-rate player, but that he's also a right-handed player which the Habs lacked on the PP last year since they only had Ryder who was right-handed.

Interesting fact.. to me, anyway... Both Samsonov and Johnson wear #12... Uh oh... :D

Didn't Samsonov sport #14 in Boston? After Theo Fleury in the late-80's, it seemed anyone under 5'9" reputed as a shifty, skilled player wore that number.

Ol' Radek is sporting #14 though... I'm thinking Samsonov'll take Gilchrist's previous #41.

I'm not that surprised that samsonov is in montreal..yet I'm a bit disappointed. I think that it's a bit overpaid and I really thought they would give kostitsyn a chance...

now I'm really happy that we now have a legitimate 1st line left winger

in samsonov and jonhson, BG adressed our lack of right handed shots

Great move by Bob....a quality forward for a reasonable price AND for a reasonable term (rare with the UFAs this summer!!!). I think this move pretty much makes Kovalev automatic for 35-40 provided Ribeiro plays even halfway decent.

Also agree on the 'sink or swim' time for Ribeiro sentiment...if you can't produce with Samsonov and Kovalev as your wingers, you should probably prepare to play somewhere other than the NHL when your contract expires.

Didn't Samsonov sport #14 in Boston? After Theo Fleury in the late-80's, it seemed anyone under 5'9" reputed as a shifty, skilled player wore that number.

Ol' Radek is sporting #14 though... I'm thinking Samsonov'll take Gilchrist's previous #41.

Samsonov wore # 14 in Beantown and # 12 in Edmonton.

Bonk wears # 12 and # 14 Habs-wise, Bonk wears # 14 and # 12 is retired (twice!). Sammy can't count down to # 10 as that is also retired, so # 41 is a possibility, we'll see soon enough I guess.

On the acquisition, have to say I share the concern about our size up front, I worry we should get safely into the playoffs and go past the second round, but then when things get more physical have problems. Oh well, I am happy with the move anyway, only time will tell.

Go Habs Go!!!

Samsonov wore # 14 in Beantown and # 12 in Edmonton.

Bonk wears # 12 and # 14 is retired (twice!). Sammy can't count down to # 10 as that is also retired, so # 41 is a possibility, we'll see soon enough I guess.

12 is retired, 14 is Bonk.

Johnson also wore 12 in Phoenix.

I'm guessing Sammy takes the 41 and Johnson 20...

Holly SH&$@ I just realized we picked up TWO righthanded shooters .... plus Sammy... (note the nick) plays on the left and with Kovy shooting left on the right wing!!! its the HELL on Earth Line I can see those two switching and swerving around creating nightmare for the goalies ,,,, and the PowerPlay Of heavens have mercy !!!

We have gone under the knife boys! this team is BAD ASS!!!! I just hope they keep away from the Hospital!

I remember before the UFA season started I posted that I would love Samsonov on the team and I got bashed for it... now suddenly everybody loves it and I havent changed my mind :)

Samsonov - Koivu - Kovalev sounds so god damn lovely.

I love it. Basically we traded Zednik and a draft pick for Mike Johnson, Sergei Samsonov, and a draft pick. Johnson and Samsonov, while both a little injury-prone are both .75 pts/game players in this league. And with Samsonov... speed kills. It's the shifty players that draw the penalties. Money well spent. I think $3.5 million for him is a deal.

I'm not that surprised that samsonov is in montreal..yet I'm a bit disappointed. I think that it's a bit overpaid and I really thought they would give kostitsyn a chance...

Gainey said that the lineup would contain a spot for one prospect. I have faith that Kosty will be there.

Gainey said he might not be done too :king:

Gainey said that the lineup would contain a spot for one prospect. I have faith that Kosty will be there.

Gainey said he might not be done too :king:

While Kosty's done more time to earn his spot, Kyle Chipchura [C] and Guillaume Latendresse [RW] are getting scrutinized too.

What a blockbuster! Old Zeddy had some good years but by the end of last year I never wanted to see him again. If he really was that bad he should of gone to retirement. People might have celebrated him then. If he isn't that bad and was justforcing the issue in Montreal the hell with him and good riddance.

Some people seem to think that we could have gotten more for him. Maybe some hockey fans that didn't see the way he played last year wold have made the deal but no GM with a clue was going to give anything up for him.

I like the Samsonov signing. He has lost a bit of the fire he had in his first few years. However, if I know Kovy he will light a fire up Sammy's ass. I like johnson for his size. Put him with Bonk and we got a big line.

Sammy will help Perezhogin and Kotsy cause they are the same type of players

Prediction: In October, Kostitsyn will be in Montreal

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I hope you're right!!

hey the guy avatar looks more like a guy who player in the ringer than samsonov :lol: