Gainey Grabs Samsonov!

kenadian

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Ribeiro will be gone soon. Johnson will take his position at 2nd line centre.

Doubt it. Johnson hasn't played C in years and without Zednik the Habs really need someone reliable on the RW.

Besides, Johnson's not good enough offensively to be a 2nd-line C.

I don't know, I personally think fielding 3 scoring lines is the way to go.

The Canes did pretty well pulling that. Depth ensures all the lines are a threat, that was the whole point of breaking up the Koivu Kovalev line wasn't it?

Plekanec and Johnson are more 2-way players now than offensive players, so I wouldnt see their line as an "offensive" line; more like a 2-way line with a defensive mission, but that can hold their own in the offensive zone.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Samsonov - Ribeiro - Kovalev

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Perezhogin/Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Johnson

Begin - Bonk - Murray/Downey

Yeah I agree with that line-up...but man...this team would be complete if they upgraded Ribeiro...then I would be very happy. 3 skilled scoring lines with defensive capabilities (well except for the first line) and some bangers to finish it off.

Edited by Mr. Nasty

Doubt it. Johnson hasn't played C in years and without Zednik the Habs really need someone reliable on the RW.

Besides, Johnson's not good enough offensively to be a 2nd-line C.

Plekanec and Johnson are more 2-way players now than offensive players, so I wouldnt see their line as an "offensive" line; more like a 2-way line with a defensive mission, but that can hold their own in the offensive zone.

And Ribeiro is???? haha. At least Johnson will put in a consistent effort each night and be flanked by two guys who can put the puck in the net.

There's another trade brewing I suspect.

There's simply too many forwards. Of course it could just mean that Kostityn will be given another year of AHL seasoning.

I don't think there is too many forwards. They only added 1 with 2 positions open. Kostitsyn is still with the big club. You have to have a couple guys that can take on roles when players are injured or in the dog-house.

I don't know, I personally think fielding 3 scoring lines is the way to go.

The Canes did pretty well pulling that. Depth ensures all the lines are a threat, that was the whole point of breaking up the Koivu Kovalev line wasn't it?

Yeah but It's still nice to have that one killer line and then still have other lines that can put the puck in the net too.

I'd say Kozed's lines make sense

If Ribs isn't traded he has no more excuses. If you can't put up points with Kovalev and Samsonov on your wings then there's no hope

I could see Aebi and Ribs packaged together for a #2-3 defenceman at some point in the year when some team decides they need more offense or a better goalie.

Either way, we're collecting assets and not breaking the bank in the process. Long live Bob!

Edited by zumpano21

And Ribeiro is???? haha. At least Johnson will put in a consistent effort each night and be flanked by two guys who can put the puck in the net.

Go read the Ribs thread for my opinion about that. I dont suscribe to the widely spread idea that Ribs isnt a #2 C or needs to be moved and explained my reasons why in that thread. The Habs gave him a 800K pay raise that Ribs didnt even expected, so I assume Gainey's alright with him for now. You generally dont give "undeserved" raises to players you plan to move.

Besides, the Yotes are in even worse shape than the Habs at C and they kept Johnson on the RW. That should tell you what Johnson's abilities are. Suggesting that Ribs should be shipped off to be replaced by Johnson at C reeks of the Turgeon-for-Corson fiasco.

Edited by KoZed

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perezhogin will now have to play on a lower line now. It takes away a kid's spot. But he'sjust another guy to tutor Perezhogin and I assume Kostitsyn (and Grabovsky) speak Russian too.

We now have a ton of scoring depth.

Samsonov-Koivu-Ryder

Kostitsyn-Ribeiro-Kovalev

Higgins-Plekanec-Perezhogin

Begin-Bonk-Johnson

11 of our 12 forwards have top 6 potential. Then there's Grabs, Lats, Lapierre and Ferland with outside chances at the team this season.

The Habs have scoring depth!

Everybody BACK on the bandwagon......................... :king:

Where are all the poster's who were bitching now? I think we should all know by now that Bob goes about his business quietly, and with VERY little fanfare.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perezhogin will now have to play on a lower line now. It takes away a kid's spot. But he'sjust another guy to tutor Perezhogin and I assume Kostitsyn (and Grabovsky) speak Russian too.

We now have a ton of scoring depth.

Samsonov-Koivu-Ryder

Kostitsyn-Higgins-Kovalev

Higgins-Plekanec-Perezhogin

Begin-Bonk-Johnson

Ribeiro not even on the roster. 11 of our 12 forwards have top 6 potential and then Ribeiro from the pressbox. Then there's Grabs, Lats, Lapierre and Ferland with outside chances at the team this season.

The Habs have scoring depth!

Maybe put Ribs in the lineup in place of one of the Higgins twins... ;)

Yeah I noticed it just now...Fixed!

And I like my line ides more than yours (KoZed) because a Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev line is just too flashy, one-way, soft and inconsistent. That line will sometimes be the best in the league but sometimes just suck. When the team gets in a slump that line will just be too uninspired.

Yeah I noticed it just now...Fixed!

And I like my line ides more than yours (KoZed) because a Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev line is just too flashy, one-way, soft and inconsistent. That line will sometimes be the best in the league but sometimes just suck. When the team gets in a slump that line will just be too uninspired.

And I like my lines more than yours because I think they are more realistic. I dont see Carbo putting both Kosty and Perezhogin in the lineup, Johnson on the 4th line and let Murray/Downey rot in the stands all the time.

It was clear since last season's that Ribs & Kovy needed a LW that could keep up with them on a consistant basis and that's why Gainey courted Shanny and now grabbed Samsonov. Higgins-Koivu-Ryder has everything and will most likely stay intact.

That leaves 2 "sure" defensive/checking combos: Plekanec-Johnson (Gainey didnt dump Zed and immediately grabbed Johnson to have him play on the 4th line) and Begin-Bonk.

Now the only two "unsure" spots are the 3rd line LW and the 4th line RW. I think it'll probably be a revolving door there too, but it'll give an opportunity for some kids to earn their stripes. Perezhogin has a head-start on the 3rd LW but there'll be about 6-7 kids fighting for one of two remaining spots.

The pieces of the puzzle are just falling in place.

Ok, I'll have to post mine then :)

Sammy Koivu Kovalev

Higgins Ribey Ryder

Plek Bonk Johnson

Murray Begin PEREZ :o

Perez on the 4th and Kosty in the AHL!? :puke:

I hope not. Better of keeping Bonk on the 4th and Zhog on the 3rd. And Plekanec doesn't really play LW. He's a C/RW but I believe he has played a couple of LW games this season.

He's talking about Matt Higgins, our 1st selection in 96'. :P He's suddenly emerged... 10 years later

:lol:

I thought Matt Higgins retired!!!

Ok, I'll have to post mine then :)

Sammy Koivu Kovalev

Higgins Ribey Ryder

Plek Bonk Johnson

Murray Begin PEREZ :o

Why complicate things and scrap everything the Habs built last year?

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Bulis - Ribeiro - Kovalev

Perezhogin - Plekanec - Zednik

Begin - Bonk - Sundstrom-Murray

Those were the lines last year. Just replace the striked-out names with the guys the Habs got:

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Samsonov - Ribeiro - Kovalev

Perezhogin - Plekanec - Johnson

There. Just as simple as that.

Everybody BACK on the bandwagon......................... :king:

Where are all the poster's who were bitching now? I think we should all know by now that Bob goes about his business quietly, and with VERY little fanfare.

:lol: That about sums it up - gonna be a lot of fingers caught in the spokes as they scramble for a spot again..... B)

Samsanov - Koivu - Ryder

Higgins - Ribiero - Kovalev

Perezhogin - Plekanec - Johnson (love this line)

Kostitsyn is the first injury callup, though I hate to see him held off the team again.

I'm not a big fan of this signing. I don't think Samsanov is the player Koivu or Ribiero needs beside them.

However, seeing Samsanov, Ribiero, and Kovalev on the Powerplay together would be something crazy.

What I like is that Samsonov is still somewhat young. Just 27. Only one year older than Ribeiro and Ryder. Forwards peak between 26-31, so Sammy's right in there.

Indeed ! Wow!

Samsonov may be injury wise but still he's better than nothing, better than zednik (the zednik without oveckin at least).

Samsonov healthy is a point-per-game player. We NEED that! Great move Gainey. Thanks Kovalev!

Trade Ribs and a pick for Lang! :D That would be sweet.

Ryder-Koivu-Higgins

Samsonov-Lang-Kovalev

Perezhogin/Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Johnson

Begin-Bonk-Murray

A. Markov-Komisarek

Souray-Rivet

Dandenault/Bouillon-D.Markov

Huet-Aebischer

:hlogo: