New Forward Line Combinations?

SoCalHab

Assuming Ryder & Perez sign, Bulis doesn't, and no more major moves, what are your line combos?

Here is a primer to get things going....(L to R)

Higgins.......Koivu................Ryder

Sammy......Ribs (?) ----------Kovy

Perez..........Plex...............Johnson

Begin..........Bonk..............Murray

Reserve: Downey, Kosty

Edited by simonus

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming Ryder & Perez sign, Bulis doesn't, and no more major moves, what are your line combos?

For some reason I have a feeling that ryder will be traded with a Tender for someone.

we will see.

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Perezhogin - Plekanec - Kovalev

Kostitsyn - Ribiero - Samsonov

Murray - Bonk - Begin

Johnson will go in there somehow.

I've got a feeling either Ryder or Ribiero will be on the move, perhaps along with Aebischer for a defender.

That seems like how it will probably end up, although I'm concerned about the lack of a regular roster spot for Kostitsyn. As others have mentioned, a Ribeiro and/or Ryder trade would not surprise me in the least.

Sammy......Ribs.................Kovy

I'm going with that too. Fits more what the Habs were last season. Samsonov fills the hole on the Ribs-Kovy LW, Johnson replaces Zed on the 3rd line.

Except that Samsonov and Kovalev on the same line makes it our #1 line. Maybe Koivu will be thrown between them, but for some reasons he and Kovalev seemed to have a fallout last season and they both sucked until they were broke up.

I would expect there is one more deal left in BG. I see Johnson more as a center, i'm not sure if anyone mentioned it the trade thread but Johnson is also a very good PK and has very good speed. Lines i'm not sure i'll throw out one a little different.

samsonov Koivu Ryder

perez pleks Kovalev

Higgins Johnson murray

begin bonk downey / Kosty

I'm not a big Ribiero fan although he must be in BG plans if he signed him for that amount of money,

Samsonov - Koivu - Ryder

Higgins - Ribeiro - Kovalev

Bonk - Plekanec - Johnson

Begin - Chipchura - Latendresse

You weren't expecting that, uh? :P

So you listened to me and fixed your 1st line after all, huh?

Your lines are now the unrealistic ones as if Kostitsyn can't make the team, I doubt both Chipchura and Latendresse can.

I say:

Samsonov-Koivu-Ryder

Kostitsyn-Ribeiro-Kovalev

Higgins-Plekanec-Perezhogin

Begin-Bonk-Johnson

The problem is that I'm not sure if Johnson will except a 4th line role. But then again, Bonk did. And Johnson will get PK time. And he has a good attitude and seemed very happy to be leaving Phoenix for a hockey town. Maybe he won't mind. I like our 3rd line. Very sneaky.

I can definitely see this roster challenging Ottawa for the division title. A lot depends on the goalies. Their Gerber/Emery combo is almost as boom-or-bust as our Huet/Aebischer tandem.

If left vacant by his being traded :D , Ribeiro's center position could adequately be filled by Chris Higgins IMO. Then there'd be another, second spot on the team for a rising prospect.

Edited by MCeh

Your lines are now the unrealistic ones as if Kostitsyn can't make the team, I doubt both Chipchura and Latendresse can.

I say:

Samsonov-Koivu-Ryder

Kostitsyn-Ribeiro-Kovalev

Higgins-Plekanec-Perezhogin

Begin-Bonk-Johnson

The problem is that I'm not sure if Johnson will except a 4th line role. But then again, Bonk did. And Johnson will get PK time. And he has a good attitude and seemed very happy to be leaving Phoenix for a hockey town. Maybe he won't mind. I like our 3rd line. Very sneaky.

I can definitely see this roster challenging Ottawa for the division title. A lot depends on the goalies. Their Gerber/Emery combo is almost as boom-or-bust as our Huet/Aebischer tandem.

Come on, Kostitsyn in front of Higgins? Higgins works so incredibly hard, I see him on the second line at least.

I really, really hope Latendresse can make the squad this year....

Does he play in Hamilton if he doesn't?

Edited by habsfan88

I've decided to change my lines because apparently the Samsonov with Kovalev thing is a lock. I don't think Ribiero can be counted onto centre them, and besides that would be the most inconsistent line I've ever seen.

Samsonov - Koivu - Kovalev

Higgins - Ribiero - Ryder

Johnson - Plekanec - Perezhogin

Murray - Bonk - Begin

Makes sense to me. Perhaps we'll see a stunning performance from Kyle Chipchura, Andrei Kostityn or Latendresse but I suspect none of them will make the club yet.

Edited by smon

I really, really hope Latendresse can make the squad this year....

It's still more wishful thinking than a realistic expectation, but I would love to see that too. Gomer brings the power-forward element that's seriously lacking in the Habs. Could you imagine the Canadiens actually having an offensively threatening sh*t disturber parked atop the opposition's crease? :rolleyes: It's a matter of how along in his development he is as discerned by the trainers and management.

On a side note, Gomer's not reputed as the charismatic team player Chipchura is. It's said he (at 19 years of age thus understandably, maybe) is a disgruntled bad-ass, leaving much for wanting in social/locker room maturity.

Edited by MCeh

I dont understand how Kostitsyn is suddenly becomes second line material. WCs aside, he has not done a lot.

I'd really like to see some more size up front - this is not a team designed for playoff hockey.

I dont understand how Kostitsyn is suddenly becomes second line material. WCs aside, he has not done a lot.

I'd really like to see some more size up front - this is not a team designed for playoff hockey.

Leggo my Eggo.

No wait...

Leggo your Nego.

I hope your wrong 'Nilan'.

Now that it's confirmed that Samsonov is playing with Kovalev, those are mines as well. Too bad Kostitsyn has to stay in the AHL another season but to be fair, he didn't have all that great a season last year and could still use some defensive work. He should join us mid-season like most of the other 03 1st round draft picks did last season.

I've decided to change my lines because apparently the Samsonov with Kovalev thing is a lock. I don't think Ribiero can be counted onto centre them, and besides that would be the most inconsistent line I've ever seen.

Samsonov - Koivu - Kovalev

Higgins - Ribiero - Ryder

Johnson - Plekanec - Perezhogin

Murray - Bonk - Begin

Makes sense to me. Perhaps we'll see a stunning performance from Kyle Chipchura, Andrei Kostityn or Latendresse but I suspect none of them will make the club yet.

Agreed, but I fully expect Ribs to bounce around; Johnson could well end up doing time as C on that second line, which is a little too inexperienced for my taste. Pleks too. For all of Bob's canny moves, we still have that glaring weakness at C.

A further alternative is that they throw Ribs between Sammy and Kovalev in the hope that all that raw talent will connect. It might, but I doubt that it would last. Every one of those guys is erratic.

The nice thing about this scenario, though, is that for the first time in a dog's age the Habs have a bona-fide first line. No team is going to feel too comfy confronting Samsonov-Koivu-Kovalev, even if the line IS a bit smurfish.

depthchart.gif

Koivu and Ribs might be interchangeable; just because Kovy seems to get along more with Ribs than Saku. Either way the top 6 is pretty set.

Your lines are now the unrealistic ones as if Kostitsyn can't make the team, I doubt both Chipchura and Latendresse can..

You missed the point.

Make lines is just playing out fantasies. I remember a summer back on the ESPN board eons ago where "New Lines Combinations" actually became an inside joke.

We could go on and on and come up with a gazillion different combinations and in the end it wouldn't matter or be anywhere close to reality. One player goes down to an injury, another slumps, a kid comes out of nowhere to wow everyone and its all up in the air again. Who saw Zednik turning into a 3rd liner last year? Or Higgins become 1st-line LW? No one. Like no one foresaw Robidas become a regular some years ago after an awesome training camp.

So what was the point of your comment telling me my lines were less realistic than yours? Making line combinations is an inside joke. We could go on and on and come up with a gazillion different combinations and in the end it wouldn't matter or be anywhere close to reality. One player goes down to an injury, another slumps, a kid comes out of nowhere to wow everyone and its all up in the air again. Who saw Zednik turning into a 3rd liner last year? Or Higgins become 1st-line LW? No one. Like no one foresaw Robidas become a regular some years ago after an awesome training camp. Gosh, I thought everyone knew that!

If the season started tomorrow, I'm fairly certain the lines would be

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

Samsonov-Ribiero-Kovalev

Perezhogin-Plekanec-Johnson

Bégin-Bonk-Murray

Extra : Downey

Markov-Komisarek

Souray-Rivet

Bouillon-Dandenault

Extra; Streit

Huet

Aebischer

Altough I wonder if we could do an all soviet line.. can Samsonov, Kovalev,Perezhogin or Kostytin play center with any effectiveness?

Edited by Jean