Toughness

HABZRULE

Im just saying that Montreal is ok the way the team is right now , so the goons dont take to much place for the young players , and i did say dont need more i didn't say that they dont need goon's.

Cause they will always need those type of player but not the same way that it was 5 year wen they ment goon's ( big player , there for hiting , fighting and bottering the oponent , but real often they dont have speed and make some mistake in the defensive zone, and taking useless penalty )

anyway that's my opinion,like it or not

Personally, I wish Bob had have signed Laraque. :(

It's to bad, but oh well. But I think they do need 1 huge player who puts the fear of God into the opposition. It's not a bad thing to have 1 guy on the roster that makes teams think if its really worth it to try something stupid. Don't forget, that they dont need to play all the time, just be there to scare them into not doing something out of sure fear of what will happen to them if they do. It's been a long time since the Habs actually had 1 of the toughest guys in the league.

I said in another thread that we needed to ditch some of the weaker Euros for tougher Canadians, and Bob went and did it. :D

The Habs are without doubt a tougher team after Bobs recent actions. Sure, Johnson isnt the bigest toughest guy in the NHL, @ HT: 6-2 WT: 201 but he is stronger than Zed.

Samsonov isnt Canadian, but although he is small, he isnt whimpy @ HT: 5-8 WT: 194. Zed has 5" on Samsonov, but only weighs 2 lbs more than Samsonov. :huh: Samsonov is probably 1 of the most muscular Habs. I'm basically 5'8, and I weigh about 180, and I'm a bit over wieght, so he's got almost 25 lbs of solid muscle on me. :blink: St Louis stats claim he is 5'9" and 185 lbs, and St Louis is definitely tough for his size, and Samsonov is even smaller, and weighs more, but costs basically 1/2 the price. B) Its just to bad Samsonov isnt French. :lol:

:blink:

I suddenly feel so small and weak... I'm 5'8" and I'm somewhere between 110 to 120 lbs. :unsure:

The Cannes cheezed their way all the way to the Cup by running into their oppenents goalies. At no time did the Habs really do much about it, and thats a huge problem. Am I the only 1 who remembers the huge pre game brawl back in the playoffs the 1 year they won the Cup when the Habs net was disrespected? At the 1st sign of something like that, somebody has to beat it into the oppositions head that further actions like that simply wont be tolerated, or else. If you show them, they will learn

I'm not sure but that rings a bell. Wasn't there a team that had the "ritual" of shooting the puck in the opposing team's net at the end of the warm up, and a player decided to put the net down to stop it? Was it with the Habs?

I remember in 93, Habs vs Nords. During the warm up Hextall had the ritual of speeding up ice and do a quick U-turn in the other zone at center ice. Habs got pissed and one game Mario Roberge just stood there waiting for Hextall to try to do his little turn. Suffice to say Hextall stopped.

Anyway. Size and toughness is way overrated in hockey. Just look at how Bobby Clarke tried to recreate the Broad Street Bullies and failed miserably in the playoffs. Or how we owned the much bigger and tougher Bruins in the playoffs recently. Or maybe how the small and speedy Sabres could easily have come out the winners in their series against Carolina is they didnt have so many injuries.

Character is the real deal here. Its not so much the need to intimidate the other team than not being intimidated. I can tell you the 1993 wasn't big or tough except for maybe Muller, LeClair and Roberge; but none of them were intimidated by anyone and in the end when you throw your weight around but the other guys just keep getting up and going, you're realizing you've just wasted energy and time for pointless purposes.

I suddenly feel so small and weak... I'm 5'8" and I'm somewhere between 110 to 120 lbs. :unsure:

Perfect frame for modeling... if you're a girl. ;)

Edited by KoZed

Unless your tough guy can skate and hit and score without taking horrendously bad penalities, he isn't of much use in the new NHL. Begin, Downey, Murray provide some hits and some fights... as do guys like Souray, Komisarek, and Rivet.

Bums who play 2 minutes per week and sit in the pressbox do nothing to improve a teams toughness.

Interesting discussion, I think we will be fine this year, like so many other people have stated, we are fast. The new NHL is very good to fast teams, you can't hit what you can't catch and those interference calls were plentiful last year when a player got beat and reached around behind them to hold them up with the stick, this trend will continue this year and it should benefit us because of our speed.

I would also agree that the day of the pure goon is finished, a good fighter who can also play a regular shift on the fourth line would be beneficial but there are so few of them in the league now it would be hard to pick one up especially since they usually demand fairly hefty salaries. Not worth it.

I think we are big enough for the regular season, however, come playoff time...If we were to face a team like 05-06 Oilers in the finals, we would be run over, smashed up and riddled with injury. I don't think a little 'toughness' would hurt.

Don't get me wrong. The boys that are playing hard are impressive. However, come playoff time, the little guy can only dish out so much against the big guys before they are sidelined. Duration is my concern.

Speaking of Ivanans...he signed a 1 year contract with the Kings today.

Where did you get this info- it's not even on the Kings site.

Begin is 5-11, 195 lbs and tough as nails. Bouillon is even smaller and just as tough.

What was the saying again? Its not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.

Ribeiro is "bigger" than Bouillon :P

However, come playoff time, the little guy can only dish out so much against the big guys before they are sidelined. Duration is my concern.

There's big guys that are brittle too. *coughLindroscough* 6-5 220 Primeau missed the bulk of the season and all of the playoffs because of 6-0 185 Perezhogin.

Besides, we're often talking about "extremes", comparing 5-10/5-11 guys with 6-4/6-5 guys. There's some in the middle. A 6-1/6-2, 200 lbs guy who has good timing like Lapperiere or Cole for example, can do lot of damage on their own.

Brashear just signed with the Caps(not that I wanted him)- I still want to see Nazarov or Oliwa in Montreal!

An overwhelming majority of teams will go goonless this year in the league,....the goons have lost the last bit

that was left of their effectiveness last year and the reaction of teams hiring good pugilist in order to neutralise their influences will no longuer be needed.....I think we are pretty much at the end of it.

The depth of talent and the overall speed of a team as to be the most importants elements on which the selective process of players should be made and a well developped competiveness nature of those players should also be well taken into consideration.

I think the size of a team is now irrelevant......unless you already have what was just mentionned.

The size at at D might still be a very important factor thought......otherwise I believe that a normal amount of virility within the roster is all that is necessary for a fast and talented team to compete with the best of them.

Unless your tough guy can skate and hit and score without taking horrendously bad penalities, he isn't of much use in the new NHL. Begin, Downey, Murray provide some hits and some fights... as do guys like Souray, Komisarek, and Rivet.

Bums who play 2 minutes per week and sit in the pressbox do nothing to improve a teams toughness.

I'll drink to that....it is afternoon :P

I'll drink to that....it is afternoon :P

Exactly, with the exception of Downey who with the Samsonov signing and promotion of Kostitsyn will probably be sent to Hamilton....if he clears waivers

No No No. With that attitude, you might as well pin a "Hit Me" sign on the back of Heut.

Is it really a smart idea to be loosing Souray, Komisarek, and Rivet for 5 minutes at a time everytime somebody bumps Huet or cheapshots another habs? They are integral components of the Habs, and they cant be wasting away in the penalty box everytime a team cheap shots a habs player. The end result will most likely be, that they wont react when they should, simply because they cant be sending that much time in the penalty box. :unsure:

I don't think we need a goon per se, but we could use a little toughness for sure.

Protecting our goalie is a good start, I also think having someone park in front of the opposing net to create a little havoc and be willing to pay the price is a must. Even in the new NHL, playoffs are a war of attrition, and we found out this year that a lot of stuff STILL doesn't get called once the 2nd season starts....Just ask Huet and Koivu.

It's going to come down to how threfs call it this year. It's all fine and good for a team like Carolina to go goonless when refs call the tightest games whenever they play. Montreal typically is on the opposite end of whatever the refs are dishing. Montreal has goons they will face the strictest refs, no goons Tie Domi will go and beat the shit out of Koivu.

It's always smart to have a guy that can contend with heavy weights even if he spends the year in Hamilton. Other teams know that he's there and they might get away with something once but he'll be there for the next game.

If refs decide to let goons take some liberties, even if its only for the first half of the year, we are going to wish we had something to respond with. Remember what Crosby put up with for the first half of the season last year?Or how well Ottawa was doing when McGratton was intimidating everyone? People are being naive, a team without a goon is incomplete. They might get away with it if the refs protect them but otherwise they're going to be harassed and intimidated. Don't look for any protection from the refs in Montreal.

All I want to know is who do we have to beat Chara's head in. Not worried about anything else except those crazy Bruin games when Ribs gets mouthy and LURCH comes in saying "you rang?"

It's going to happen.....then what?

I don't think there is a guy in the league who can beat CHara's head in. The guy is really a monster.

Although that guy Toronto signed Hal Gill. I'd like to see the two of them go at it. But I think Chara would come out on top. Hes huge, and knows how to use his weight