Habs Prospect Camp Days 3-4

Psycing

So it's been an eventful couple of days for me, but I've got some time to make a small update right now. I'm not sure that I'll actually get a chance to make another update tomorrow. Thus, the next update you get may be the official write up I do for the HabsWorld main page.

The coaches have been implementing a lot of very interesting drills. They had some good ones today: Players had to skate with one foot on a puck, while skating on 1 leg, feed their stick through the space between the skate blade and the boot (mostly every player had trouble with this one), and one where players were attached to a bungee chord that was attached to the boards and they had to skate away from the boards with it one.

My favorite "unique" drill though was when players were hooked onto each other. One player would lay down on the ice and the other had to pull their partner down the ice. They made a race out of it, which Ryan O'Byrne won twice.

I think the highlight of my day was when they were doing a 1-on-1 drill with the goalies also in net. Basically Defenseman vs. Forward and the Forward tried to get by the D-man and score on the goalie. Ryan O'Byrne (6'5, 225lbs, Age: 22) was paired with Sergei Kostitsyn (6'0, 190lbs, Age: 19). Kostitsyn was pretty much denied (more like mauled) by O'Byrne each time. However, there was one instance where Kostitsyn looked very determined and worked hard enough to get through O'Byrne and get a shot off right before being knocked over.

C Kyle Chipchura - He looks like a man playing with boys. Quite literally actually, he just seems to look so much older than everyone out there, very mature. He's quite strong and won some battles, while skating hard. He doesn't really have the best offensive skills (Stick-handling, deeking, etc), but he does have a knack for finding the net one way or another.

C/RW Mathieu Aubin - This guy looks better and better every day. He's god a great shot and is good at winning battles along the boards and in open ice. I really hope he gets to play with the Dogs this year.

RD Ryan O'Byrne - His size is really intimidating to the other players. He really does use his size, but may have to learn how to do it without taking penalties. He's just so strong and protects the puck quite well, making it difficult for others to knock him off the puck when he has it. He's also got a very heavy shot. Even his wristers/snap-shots look like they'll leave some bruises.

G Carey Price - He seems to have a great glove hand but he's been letting a lot of goals in during the past two days. It might be getting into his head a bit, as he tends to pause and stretch/meditate after drills where he's done badly. Looks like his height may be a bit of a problem for him. Though, don't let that scare you, he still looks very good out there and he's only 19. Goalies need more time to develop. Yesterday he took a shot to the side of his helmet that sent him down to the ice for a minute, causing everyone in the rink to go quite until he got up and seemed okay a few moments later.

RW Sergei Kostitsyn - Today was the first day I really saw him having fun out there. I'm not sure how good his English is, but playing with the London Knights should have helped that a bit. My guess is he's a bit like Perezhogin and needs some time to get comfortable and used to everyone and everything. He shows some good skating and has a very good shot. His strength is a big of an issue though, but he uses his agility to move around players (a skill that he hasn't fully developed yet though).

C/RW Ryan White - Steve Begin meets Donald Audette. He's likely the worst skater at the camp, and looks quite tiny. However, he makes up for it by playing hard and has always got a smile on his face, seems to have a very good attitude really. He finds a way to score quite often, and it always surprises me when he does. He's really has to work on that skating though.

LD Oskari Korpikari - I finally got a good look at him the past couple of days. He looks solid out there, very strong on his skates and seems to be an above-average skater. His offensive abilities also seem to be good, but looking at his stats, he doesn't seem to put up any numbers. I think he's more than ready to come to North America.

RD Mathieu Carle - It seems everything I've read about him is true. He's got some very good offensive skill and is an excellent skater. However, he needs to work his defensive game. When he does defend, he likes to use his skating to get around or deek out opponents. He should probably work on simplifying this.

LW Gregory Stewart - He looks better and better every day. He's really impressed me the last two days. He's a good skater who's not afraid to muck it up in the corners. He's got a great shot and is capable of scoring some big goals. He's pretty close to being AHL-ready. If he doesn't cut it this year, I'm sure he'll be there next season.

C Ben Maxwell - He's small, but he's likely one of the best skaters at the camp. He can really fly and has got some good offensive abilities. I've got to get a better look at him over the next 2 days though.

G Loic Locasse - He's looked a lot better over the past couple of days, making some good saves. The fact that he'll be playing for Patrick Roy's Quebec Remparts is great news.

-Matthew Macaskill

benmaxwell5qo.th.jpg careypricestandstall1ga.th.jpg careypricestretches1mg.th.jpg cornerskrimage5xa.th.jpg

davidfischer2wg.th.jpg davidfischerandmathieuaubin1nf.th.jpg dman1aq.th.jpg gregorystewart1ap.th.jpg

gregorystewartstretches6pi.th.jpg jurajmikus9vw.th.jpg kylechipchuraandgregorystewart.th.jpg kylechipchuraandgregorystewart.th.jpg

loiclacasseandkirkmuller1gd.th.jpg loiclocassepushinghisnet4bl.th.jpg losersandwinners8eb.th.jpg losersdopushups3ap.th.jpg

mathieuaubincelebrateshisgoal8.th.jpg agostini6py.th.jpg philippepaquet7lr.th.jpg playerdrag40ne.th.jpg

playerdrag69lb.th.jpg playerdrag73rl.th.jpg byrne2dz.th.jpg sergeikostitsynattachedtobunge.th.jpg

What can I say? Great work!

Merci bien mec.

Did you 'scout' Rolie Melanson already ;) Thanks.

Actually, lol, hard to scout him.

Though they set up an interesting little skrimage today where the nets were put near one of the corners of the ice and it created a very small space between them. 4 players were sent in to fight for the puck (2 on 2) and try and score). My guess is that this is good for both the players to play in tight spots/traffic, and ditto for the goalies who have to move around a lot and keep sight of the puck.

Here are 2 pictures to better explain the set up:

cornerskrimage5xa.th.jpg cornerskrimage2lx.th.jpg

Excellent work Maca, I'm really excited about Korpikari as he seems to be a decent defensive prospect, which we have in short supply, AND he's Finnish! :D

Yeah.. if only he were in Nightwish too. :lol:

Yeah.. if only he were in Nightwish too. :lol:

Well, he could be...aren't they still looking for a new lead singer? ^_^

Or we could always just make our own "Northern Metal" band, we have enough Finns, Swedes and Russians on our team and in our system. :king:

Mahn, what time is this thing at it. It turns out, I might be going tomorrow.

Pushin', pushin' & pushin' to be # 1, bth....

won't be long.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Again, great work Mac-Mahn...

I like what I'm hearing about Chipper, Aubin and O'Byrne. Chipper because since forever the Habs have failed to develop a guy like Chipchura. Aubin because he's turning into a steal (5th rounder) and O'Byrne because the Habs are so thin on defense, knowing a big D like him is developing nicely is to drool for.

Stewart sounds alright. Maybe a guy in the Garth Murray mold, would you say?

Again, great work Mac-Mahn...

I like what I'm hearing about Chipper, Aubin and O'Byrne. Chipper because since forever the Habs have failed to develop a guy like Chipchura. Aubin because he's turning into a steal (5th rounder) and O'Byrne because the Habs are so thin on defense, knowing a big D like him is developing nicely is to drool for.

Stewart sounds alright. Maybe a guy in the Garth Murray mold, would you say?

He seems to be a little more finess than that. I'd actually compare him to Mike Johnson (only from what I'm hearing about him), but I'm not sure Stewart will make a solid NHLer yet. I could see him being very good for the Bulldogs though. Still a bit early to tell if he'll actually make the NHL or not.

Mahn, what time is this thing at it. It turns out, I might be going tomorrow.

9am to 11:30am (hopefully it's not too late to get you that info.)

9am to 11:30am (hopefully it's not too late to get you that info.)

I can only get there for 10:30 or so. I'll try but it might be full or something.

Ah! I'm really unlucky with this stuff. It ended an hour early. In other words, right when I got there.

Ah! I'm really unlucky with this stuff. It ended an hour early. In other words, right when I got there.

Haha, yeah I was wondering if you made it or not. I was looking for ppl that I thought looked like a "Bulis_the_Habbie".

If you happened to catch me leaving, I was wearing a Team Canada (red) Jersey today.

It's on again tomorrow, they're supposed to have a mini-game too, so I suggest you get to that if you can. :D

Thanks for helping me appear to my peers as a Habs prospect expert Macaskill :D

Thank you

Lol, no problem. Howed you do it really? Just mentioned certain players to them, or? lol

Once again Good Matthew, that's great work. Here in my office in Saskatchewan where it's a beautiful 30 degree day, it's fantastic to crank up the Air Conditioner, put on a Habs shirt and read about the Habs prospects!

Keep up the great work, Good Matthew.

Hehe, no problemo again.

I figure I should mention a "funny" little story.

I was at the door where the players were exiting to their buses yesturday, and Sergei Kostitsyn walked by me. I was wearing my red Team Canada Jersey, and he looked down, maybe expecting to see the Habs logo? When he looked back up at me, he had one of the oddest looks on his face I've ever seen.

Yeah that's my little short story, I really don't know what to make of it.

When Mikhail Grabovsky will make its entry? It's a good player who from Belarus. I have really haste to see it playing!

Tanks you! ^_^

Not before september, due to visa problems.

Edited by mathieu30