Too many bodies

habfan67

I think we have too many players up with the big team right now and something has to happen to cut down the roster,i think this is audettes last chance to produce,lord knows hes had tons of chances already,hopefully we can dump yanic and a couple more stiffs before xmas.

Agreed, we need to lose some players because we have many who are currently doing nothing for this team.

Potential RW: Dagenais, Zednik, Ryder, Dackell, Sundstrom, Audette, Kilger, Ward, Balej, Perezhogin.

Potential LW: Bulis, Dagenais, Zednik, Ryder, Sundstrom, Kilger, Langdon, Hossa, Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Juneau, Gratton, Begin, Perreault,

Potential C: Koivu, Ribeiro, Perreault, Begin, Kilger, Bulis, Higgins, Hossa, Juneau, Gratton, Ward.

Potential LD: Markov, Souray, Bouillon, Hainsey

Potential RD: Brisebois, Rivet, Quintal, Komisarek

G: Theodore, Garon.

Now you gotta choose who you think will make your team better.

If I started at center I'd say the closest thing we have for a 1st is Koivu, a 2nd is Ribeiro, a 3rd Begin, and a 4th is a Kilger(the one who shows up).

At LW its Zednik, Bulis, Hossa, Langdon.

At RW its Ryder, Dagenais, Dackell, Ward.

LD: Markov, Souray, Bouillon have been the best.

RD: Brisebois, Komisarek and Rivet(only because he's younger then Quintal).

Goalie: Theodore by far, Garon

So my lineup for now would be

Zednik-Koivu-Ryder

Bulis-Ribeiro-Dagenais

Hossa-Begin-Dackell

Langdon-Kilger-Ward

Markov-Brisebois

Souray-Komisarek

Bouillon-Rivet

Theodore, garon

that means , IMO of course, that Juneau, Perreault, Sundstrom, Quintal and Audette are of no use to this team anymore, in fact I think they hurt it with their lack of physical play(forwards) or their costly errors(Quintal).

Eventually, during the year, I think Higgins will find a spot wit the team. For this reason I think Hossa should be put on RW on either the 2nd or the third line. The way Hainsey has been playing in the AHL, I think he'll take Bouillon's spot too.

EDIT If you look at my lineup, you can see that very few players are soft, in fact its only Ribeiro and Dackell. The rest either have size or grit. If you add Higgins an you substract Dackell, your left with only Ribeiro who doesn't have much stength or grit. So it would be a very acceptable lineup.

[Edited on 2003/12/13 by Habsaku]

Kilger & Hossa would need a heart transplant before I'd put either in my "I wish" lineup... if anything I'd put him at center on the 3rd line in hopes that is the key to bringing back from the abyss.

Bégin I'd leave on the 4th line, he's a great 4th liner... but a pretty ordinary 3rd liner. On nights someone on the 3rd line doesn't have it, move up Bégin.

And Bulis is looking great on the first line, his is a speed game and that matches up better with Koivu than Ribeiro.

I'd leave him on the first line.

Bring up Higgins instead of Dagenais to play with Ribs and Zednik... that would make for a pretty potent top 2 lines.

Bulis-Koivu-Ryder

Higgins-Ribeiro-Zednik

Sundstrom-Hossa-Dackell

Langdon-Bégin-Ward

That's what could be done this year... next year I'd let Sundstrom go along with Perreault, Juneau, Audette, Kilger. I'd only bring back Dackell if he signs for really cheap and accepts to being used only sporadically... a vet who would sit out more games than not.

Since we've signed Kilger for 2 years, perhaps keep him for that and let Dackell go.

Then make a trade or sign a few free agents to plug the holes, or Perezhogin or Kastitsyn might be ready who knows... not counting on that though.

I will reserve my judgement on Kilger until Ward returns. They seemed to play well together, and it would be better to see Kilger's innefectiveness with the player with whom he's played his best hockey with.

If he can't be pumped by Ward, I recommend he is traded. Begin could adequately replace Kilger, and help mentor Ward.

Hossa I can see as a good 1st liner, or a good 3rd liner, depending on which path he follows, and our management chooses. Right now, there isn't enough room for him as an offensive role, but with Juneau leaving, and Begin cementing his role as a 4th line forward, it could be his to lose.

IMO next year's lineup

Bulis-Koivu-Ryder

Higgins-Ribeiro-Zednik

Sundstrom-Begin-Dackell

Langdon-Kilger-Ward

Gone are Perreault, Audette, Juneau. Sundstrom and Dackell will go when we get better 3rd line wingers. Dagenais will help Gratton in mentoring our AHLers.

Everybody is talking about Juneau leaving the team soon. Why does everybody think that this is his last year as a habs?

From what I heard Juneau Dackell and Sundström had it going last night.

Perreault is scoring goals on a team that need goals.

Begin is a fourth liner. And he knows it. I don't think he will complaint about it. Leave him there.

Kilger are no good to us. Doesn't scare nor score.

Hossa is the most overpaid player on the whole team.

Originally posted by ch_nl

Kilger are no good to us. Doesn't scare nor score.

Quoted for emphasis. :lol: good play on words.

Hossa is the most overpaid player on the whole team.

Actually, I think that still belongs to Rivet.

Even Brisebois's improved. And it's not like Juneau has been earning all his money, but he's still doing better than 'Craigy'

[Edited on 2003/12/14 by TheAussiePosse]

At least Rivet is on the ice...

I think Hossa's salary has something to do with his name. But people ask me to look beyond his name. But how can that be done?

He is the younger brother of a star.

Lindros, Bure and Gretzky brother sure didn't have an easy time to live up to their names and what's the sign of that Hossa will?

I hope we trade him to a team that wan't a Hossa.

In my opinion we can handle about 3 or 4 prospects in the line up on a consistant basis.

Veterans are needed, the prospects need to learn from someone right?

Right now we have Ribeiro and Ryder. They are here to stay and has already prove themselves to be ready for the NHL.

I still believe in Hainsey and Komisarek. Ward is ahead of Hossa and in a year or two Higgins will be ready to try is wings.

Trade Hossa. Add some size to one of the top line.

Everybody is talking about Juneau leaving the team soon. Why does everybody think that this is his last year as a habs?

Because his contract expires and he becomes an unrestricted free agent. Why would the habs want to re-sign an aging and probably expensive Juneau again? Especially when we have an overload of bodies , and are in a partial rebuilding stage.

Thats why everyone thinks its his last year. I'd be extremely shocked to see Juneau on the team next season.

Saying Hossa gets paid because of his name is total ignorance.

He gets paid 1st round draft choice money, because thats what he is. Thats what other first rounders get paid like Hainsey, Komisarek, Perezhogin and eventually Kastsitsyn

Don't give up on Hossa, he's got all the tools to succeed, all he needs is someone to light a fire under his ass.

Juneau will leave because he brings nothing more then Begin can. He is slower, older, softer, he's always in his own zone and he's way overpaid. This guy was playing 4th line minutes before coming with us, how he gets 20 here is beyond me.

Begin proved he can be way more usefull because of his timely checks and his defensive awareness. Not to mention the energy level he brings. Its not a coincidence Sundstrom and Dackell lit it up when he joined that line just like its not a coincidence Zednik, Ryder and Bulis got much better once Koivu joined them.

Well, some people are blinded by their personnal grudges...

Well, some people are blinded by their personnal grudges...

What's that suposed to mean?

My opinoin is that the weakest link should be replaced. And in my opinion that may not be Juneau.

This is the last year of his contract and maybe he won't be able to get the same salary next season.

I'm not so sure that Begin could be our third line center. Whom would take the fourth?

On the fourth you need a player that's happy with having 5-8 minutes per game and also adding something to the team. That Begins role and he seems happy with it. Don't change it.

Juneau may not be the ideal player for the third line but we need a strong defesive player on that spot. Juneau is a verry smart player and I am verry aware of that Juneau could be replaced by many other players, but do we have one in Montreal? Hossa? Kilger?

Don't know...

As I see it a team can afford of having ONE center in development phase. Right now that's Ribeiro on the second. In not so many years Juneau won't play hockey and Koivus days as a first line center in Montreal may be over in a couple of years.

The main problem is that we don't have enough size. That's why I think Kilger and Hossa are the one that should be dealt. Maybe Rivet as well.

I also think that those three could land us what we need.

Because he has said so himself... that it's probably his last year.

His back has been bothering him for years, and the he knows the Habs need to get bigger... he's ready to retire.

Plus he like some other older players don't want to deal with the potential lockout threat... quite a few will hang them up.

Quintal is another one who knows his time night have come, although he seems to wish he could stick it out another year or two.

Unless he turns his game around in a big way, I don't see it hapenning.

The main problem is that we don't have enough size. That's why I think Kilger and Hossa are the one that should be dealt. Maybe Rivet as well.  

I'm not sure if you realise, but all those players have size. Trading them away wouldn't help us in the size-department

On the fourth you need a player that's happy with having 5-8 minutes per game and also adding something to the team. That Begins role and he seems happy with it.  

I don't think anyone would be happy with only 5-8 minutes a night. when you grow up skating on the ice, your dream is to play in the NHL (or something along those lines). Who would want to play 8-10 minutes on a defensive line than 20 minutes on the first line, centering (for example) bertuzzi and naslund.

As I see it a team can afford of having ONE center in development phase. Right now that's Ribeiro on the second.

Ribeiro isn't in the development phase anymore. We can now give that to Plekanec or Higgins, or even back to Hossa.

I'm not so sure that Begin could be our third line center. Whom would take the fourth?  

Gratton if necessary. But Higgins or Plekanec or even Kilger centering Langdon and Ward wouldn't be so bad. Face it, Juneau's on his last legs, he'll peobably play for Quebec City next season in the WHA (w00t).

On the fourth you need a player that's happy with having 5-8 minutes per game and also adding something to the team. That Begins role and he seems happy with it. Don't change it.

Juneau may not be the ideal player for the third line but we need a strong defesive player on that spot. Juneau is a verry smart player and I am verry aware of that Juneau could be replaced by many other players, but do we have one in Montreal? Hossa? Kilger?

I also think that those three could land us what we need.

Did you miss the last few games? Begin did an admirable job on the third line, Juneau would definetly not have played like he did yesterday if it weren't for Begin threatening his spot like he did. We've got Gratton who would be happy with just a callup and would be a great player on the 4th line. Kilger also can fill that job easily, so can Ward, he can play both center and RW.

BTW Kilger 6'4" 220lbs, Hossa 6'2" 215lbs, Rivet 6'2" 220lbs. You want more size then that???

Besides Begin makes 400K and made a better job then 2+M$ Juneau.