Maple Leafs, Mike Peca

MCeh

Montreal Gazette Article

"The Leafs and Peca have been courting each other for well over a week with both camps agreeing Toronto is a good fit for the 11-year NHL centre.

The 32-year-old Toronto native, a two-time Selke Trophy winner as the NHL's top defensive forward, makes his off-season home in Buffalo, making Toronto an ideal geographical location.

[...] In Toronto, Peca fills one of the voids left by centres Jason Allison and Eric Lindros, the latter signing with Dallas on Monday. Allison, also an unrestricted free agent, isn't expected back with the Leafs."

Habs fans should be jeering Ren-face this season.

The Maple Laughs add another Comedian! Lookout Comedy Channel Looks like your lineup is in trouble now.

Leaf fans being what they are they will no doubt dance in the streets not willing to admit that this is not the UFA moment they were hoping for.

This will probably fuel speculation that Tucker is leaving.

When will they learn?

BTW: Good job acquiring Luke Richardson for a 4th rounder. What was the point of that again? :D

Leaf fans being what they are they will no doubt dance in the streets not willing to admit that this is not the UFA moment they were hoping for.

This will probably fuel speculation that Tucker is leaving.

When will they learn?

BTW: Good job acquiring Luke Richardson for a 4th rounder. What was the point of that again? :D

I think they called it "depth" at the time... or was it "death". ah! same diff. for the Laughers I guess.

Me thinks ya right on the money; leafs need to dump some cash now. I'm sure things are getting tight in the pocket book for good old JFJ.

Edited by Chips

They're also maxed out on cap I think. They have to be. Anson Carter will not be a Leaf. Before they signed everyone yesterday and before the Peca signing they had a little over 6 million to play with.

We know Peca is going to sign for 2.5.

That leaves 4.5. Well, then theres Wellwood for 800 K. That leaves 3.7. Where's the wiggle room?

Where's Stajan? Plus they signed Colaiacovo, Bell & Harrison too.

They must be done. Carter will have to go elsewhere unless I missed something.

the Cup is now guaranteed.......

a parade date is set and a route is planned.......

they'v put Mel in charge of rounding up the army - we must prevent chaos in the streets.......

They're also maxed out on cap I think. They have to be. Anson Carter will not be a Leaf. Before they signed everyone yesterday and before the Peca signing they had a little over 6 million to play with.

We know Peca is going to sign for 2.5.

That leaves 4.5. Well, then theres Wellwood for 800 K. That leaves 3.7. Where's the wiggle room?

Where's Stajan? Plus they signed Colaiacovo, Bell & Harrison too.

They must be done. Carter will have to go elsewhere unless I missed something.

They are done, according to spector, they are at 42.8M$ with everybody signed.

I just caught the news conference by the leafs formally introducing Peca. All kiddin' put aside. He did show moments of brilliance in the playoff run with the oil. And if he does return to form from his days with the islanders and sabres then if the leafs pair him up with some speed I can see them causing quite a bit of trouble. He is a good two way center with break away speed. Use it wisely and they could catch teams off guard. Only saving grace is that the habs have defended against him before.

Not sure how I feel about this, but thats the beauty of UFA. He did take a pay cut and is playing with the leafs cause his passion for joining the history of his home town team made it an easy choice for him.

Lets hope that there are players out there with the same thought about the habs and when its their turn to become Free Agents; choose a pay cut and join up with the habs. hint hint. Crosby would be a nice UFA pick up one day.

They are done, according to spector, they are at 42.8M$ with everybody signed.

Toronto Star Article

" [...] Ferguson informed the governors that the organization has $42.8 million committed to salaries, qualifying offers and buyouts for next season, which is $1.2 million under the 2006-07 salary cap of $44 million. That will leave the Leafs only with enough wiggle room to accommodate injuries and/or pick up a player at the trade deadline if they are making a push for the post-season. [...] That means the only player remaining to be signed is centre/winger Matt Stajan and that is expected to be done any day now. Stajan had until Saturday night to accept his one-year qualifying offer, but both sides agreed to extend the deadline."

And if he does return to form from his days with the islanders and sabres then if the leafs pair him up with some speed I can see them causing quite a bit of trouble.

I think Peca's going down the path walked by Joé Juneau and Radek Bonk, both of whom were successfully offensive in their earlier careers. As their offense faded, they then held onto their careers with sound defensive play.

Peca posted 9 goals and 23 points in 71 games last year, his NHL worst. As per his defense, the 2-time Selke winner went a surprising minus 4.

As a Peca fan, I hope he can turn things around in '06-07.

As a biased Habs fanatic first and foremost, I say Peca will prove himself another Leafs goose egg in a prolonged succession.

Edited by MCeh

I'm I the only one thinking that this could be a good signing for Toronto has had defensive troubles last season?

no I think they're better balanced then last year but I still don't see them in the playoff next season

toronto has fairly decent young players playing in the NHL in Steen, Wellwood, etc ...but their problem is that Mats Sundin has no scoring wingers to speak of at all. Jeff O'Neill was supposed to be the answer, but he's really really struggled the last few yrs.

Peca's a good guy to have, but if the question is whether he can get a team to the playoffs, the answer is no. He's a good guy to have in the playoffs because he's clutch, but he'll not be very good in the regular season.

He hasnt been the same since of all people his new teammate Darcy Tucker took out his knees in that playoff a few yrs back. And he's a defensive centre, not the scoring winger the leafs need.

Nonetheless, better than signing Allison I suppose.

He hasnt been the same since of all people his new teammate Darcy Tucker took out his knees in that playoff a few yrs back.

Pierre Lebrun of the Canadian Press addresses that older notch on Tuckers belt, as well as Peca's attitude toward those who injure:

"'In 1997 in Buffalo, Vincent Damphousse (of the Habs) ripped my mouth open with a cross-check and for years all I wanted to do is rip his head off. [ :D ] But time passes and you lose that. Because I've done it to other people, too. You just can't hold on to grudges. Since then I've got to know Damphousse well and he's a fantastic guy.'

And the same has happened with Tucker, although it might be pushing it to say the two have kissed and made up.

'We haven't kissed,' Peca joked at his Air Canada Centre news conference. 'But I've spoken to Darcy on a number of occasions at players' meetings and things of that nature. He's also become pretty good friends with a cousin of mine and we have mutual friends. There's no issue there.'"

Nonetheless, better than signing Allison I suppose.

On the basis of points per game, Allison was one of the most offensively productive Leafs. I remember seeing him contribute a number of times on power play goals against the Habs.

What is it about Allison that has him somewhat blacklisted? I might have heard he's an arse in the dressing room.. but is he a defensive liability?

Edited by MCeh