Should Habs Look At Carter?

Naslund

Sorry guys, I was under the impression that rumours from Eklund were ok, since that he is quoted so often on this board.

So, speaking hypothetically, how would everyone here feel if the Habs were to pick up Anson Carter? He is the only high profile guy left, and there seems to be a number of teams interested. Would he be a good fit here?

Sorry guys, I was under the impression that rumours from Eklund were ok, since that he is quoted so often on this board.

So, speaking hypothetically, how would everyone here feel if the Habs were to pick up Anson Carter? He is the only high profile guy left, and there seems to be a number of teams interested. Would he be a good fit here?

Not really.

1) We don't have the cap room to sign him

2) Don't you think we have enough wingers as it is? There's barely any room for Kostitsyn and what if Latendresse pulverizes everyone at camp and deserves a spot?

3) Gainey said that he will leave one spot available for a young guy

4) Why would we want Carter? He only played great because he was with the Sedin twins

No thank you, I'll pass.

Not really.

1) We don't have the cap room to sign him

2) Don't you think we have enough wingers as it is? There's barely any room for Kostitsyn and what if Latendresse pulverizes everyone at camp and deserves a spot?

3) Gainey said that he will leave one spot available for a young guy

4) Why would we want Carter? He only played great because he was with the Sedin twins

No thank you, I'll pass.

:clap:

See we can agree sometimes Komi

Not saying I agree with it, just a thought.

I think the roster is set, barring something happening with Abbie. And that may not happen until the deadline, if at all.

Which youngster would you guys like to see up? Chips? Latendresse?

Not saying I agree with it, just a thought.

I think the roster is set, barring something happening with Abbie. And that may not happen until the deadline, if at all.

Which youngster would you guys like to see up? Chips? Latendresse?

Kostitsyn. He now has 2 years of experience in the AHL and I think he's ready to make the jump.

Chips needs to go play one year in the AHL. Can always be a call up if we have injuries.

Latendresse would be nice, but he needs to have a great camp and beat out Kostitsyn.

Kostitsyn. He now has 2 years of experience in the AHL and I think he's ready to make the jump.

Chips needs to go play one year in the AHL. Can always be a call up if we have injuries.

Latendresse would be nice, but he needs to have a great camp and beat out Kostitsyn.

It would be Kostitsyn but we have no room.

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev

Perezhogin-Plekanec-Johnson

Begin-Bonk-Murray

I'm pretty sure I forgot someone but whatever. The point is that the top 2 lines are full and we don't really want Kosty on a bottom line. He can play on the 3rd line but then Johnson plays on the 4th and everything. I really don't see how we have a roster spot available for a rookie like Gainey said. Other then Murray's 4th line spot of course.

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev

Begin-Bonk-Murray

I'm pretty sure I forgot someone but whatever. The point is that the top 2 lines are full and we don't really want Kosty on a bottom line. He can play on the 3rd line but then Johnson plays on the 4th and everything. I really don't see how we have a roster spot available for a rookie like Gainey said. Other then Murray's 4th line spot of course.

Well this is what I wrote about a week ago... and nobody caught on? Gainey said himself 13 signed forwards and there is a spot in the roster for a rook? Bluff or Gainey is preparing a trade

Well this is what I wrote about a week ago... and nobody caught on? Gainey said himself 13 signed forwards and there is a spot in the roster for a rook? Bluff or Gainey is preparing a trade

It could still be Kostitsyn, but he'll have to spend time on the bottom lines - fact of life for a young player. Don't forget that the pressbox has lots of room for Murray... or, if he fails to complement his talented linemates, Ribeiro. (Then Pleks moves up to 2nd line, Begin replaces him at centre, and Kost gets the wing).

I posted on the talk of another trade coming earlier... its just a feeling that i get that the roster isnt what its supposed to be this year and that at least ONE MORE significant change is on its way before training camp opens. I also fully expect Kosty to be in the lineup next year.

:hlogo:

The thread closing is relatively new as HW becomes more and more locked down. Whether or not people are making suggestions that they dream up (allowed) vs posting a rumour and discussing it (not allowed?), I don't really see the difference. It's the offseason and people are looking for things to talk about. Pity the poor fool that reads one of the rumour sites and wants to discuss what they've read. Tis an open forum, right? Everyone here knows the validity of rumour sites, and nobody has been posting under false pretenses of a trade/signing actually occurring.

As far as Carter goes, I don't really think there's room on the roster, and while he's a decent player, everyone in Habs land has unrealistic expectations and limitations based on what "line" the player is on. If he's on line 2, everyone will expect 60+ pts from the guy, and he'll be a "flop" and a "bad decision" by Gainey when he doesn't reach that plateau. I do agree playing with the Sedins helped him immensely, though. While in NY, he didn't do squat.

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev

Begin-Bonk-Murray

playing on the bottom lines may help his D game, from what I hear it needs some improving

Lines 1 and 2 are solid. I don't see much change there except when injuries demand a change.

However, the 3rd and 4th lines will be a revolving door and a shuffle from night to night depending on who they play. If its speed or grit then accordingly the bottom two lines will be optimized effectively. Carbo is full of strategy. He'll approach every game with care and forethought;

I can see. lines being mixed up ...

3. Kosts-Plex-Johns

4. Begin-Bonk-Murray

or

3. Perez-Plex-Kosts

4. Begin-Bonk-Johns

with two spots being used as open tryouts and playing time for those showing promise in the AHL.

Until very good chemistry is established; expect rotations.

I for one enjoy seeing the kids get a chance to play and excel in the roles assigned. But Perez, Kosts and even Murray, Downey should expect to sit out some games. And let callups or role players have a go at it...

Bonk, Begin, Johnson, Plex will play every night because of their ability to play multiple roles in any game. And they are the core of our PK units.

Edited by Chips

Ya, Jeff Carter would be nice........

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Thanks for the welcome Simonus, love the forum.

I have to agree with the posters that say there will be room for younger players despite the fact that the lines everyone here expects Carbo to go with seem pretty solid. So many things happen over the course of a season; injuries, hot/cold streaks, lines that just don't gel, etc. I mean, Murray/Begin were fantastic last year in their roles, but whose to say they are assured to perform that way again this year, especially with the added pressure of coming off a good season?

I'm also not necessarily sold on Perezhogin (yet), plenty of talent there, but still plenty to prove. He fits into that youngster category that can be moved around or sit in the press box.

Personally, I don't think any of the newbies will make the opening rosters, but they will get their chance very quickly.

And not being a pro scout or having watched much of the rookies in their junior years, I don't know who would be ready to come up right away. Guess we'll have to wait until training camp.

Ya, Jeff Carter would be nice........

:king: :hlogo: :king:

he was there for us to take but we took kostitsyn instead.

Just curious but does anyone know if Carter and Samsonov ever played on a line together in Boston? I just looked at their numbers during that time and neither was overly impressive. Samsonov had his best year the year Carter moved so I say no to looking at Carter.

Edited by Alpine