Briere Arbitration Makes Him A Habs?

zumpano21

I don't know how this could happen in terms of numbers, someone would have to be shipped out but...

Briere is awarded a 5 million dollar, one year contract in arbitration and is rumoured to now be headed OUT of Buffalo and TSN has listed Montreal as one of the potential destinations.

Edited by zumpano21

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we do pick him up, we could TRULY see the return of firewagon hockey to Montreal. WOW!

B) B) B)

Who would we send back? Ribs and Souray? 5 mill is a big chunk of change.

Ribs and Ryder might be more appropriate.

it doesn't really matter...brieres a heart and soul kinda player and yes It think that we woudl have to sacrifice one of our D men..except for komisarek

we should try to convince them on how good bonk really is ;)

If we do pick him up, we could TRULY see the return of firewagon hockey to Montreal. WOW!

B) B) B)

Ribs and Ryder might be more appropriate.

I could see that happening.

Man we'd be small, but boy we'd be fast

Briere is not what we need.

We have our share of small players in the current lineup as well as in the minors.

Add $5M to his lack of size and it makes way too many negatives for the gamble.

Briere is not what we need.

We have our share of small players in the current lineup as well as in the minors.

Add $5M to his lack of size and it makes way too many negatives for the gamble.

Thanks, Habitforming...My feelings exactly...

Besides, he is prone to injury..Only played one full season in the NHL..

Why would we trade our 2nd line C and one of our top goal scorers for him? It kills our cap space and we get smaller...Briere is a good player, but he is small and he would not fit on this already undersized set of forwards...Where he would thrive on a team like PHIL, he would be terrible in MTL, IMO..

Stick with Ribs...Although some Habbers don't like him, I do...I think he played well under Carbo and getting CPT. K there will do wonders for this kid..Let's see what he can do this year before trading a potential star...

If Bob gets Briere, could u just imagine the line of Samsonov- Briere - Kovalev ! :D Wow common Bob!

That wont happen if you have a good center, they wont put all the talent on one line lol.

And also Speed KILLS! so smaller or wtv means nothing when you have speed, I know from experiance lol Its amazing when no one can catch you :D

Dont get the small part here fellas .... Unless Ribs has taken a dose of gh and steroids in the past 4 months I consider Ribs a Small framed player so there aint no setback here...just status quo on the size thing.... plus if we traded Ryder and Ribs for briere that leaves aspot open for another forward who could be bigger than Ryder.

now on the monetary issue I agree its too much! but like I said the size issue is a wasted arguement

Edited by CoRvInA

Thanks, Habitforming...My feelings exactly...

Besides, he is prone to injury..Only played one full season in the NHL..

Why would we trade our 2nd line C and one of our top goal scorers for him? It kills our cap space and we get smaller...Briere is a good player, but he is small and he would not fit on this already undersized set of forwards...Where he would thrive on a team like PHIL, he would be terrible in MTL, IMO..

Stick with Ribs...Although some Habbers don't like him, I do...I think he played well under Carbo and getting CPT. K there will do wonders for this kid..Let's see what he can do this year before trading a potential star...

Nah Nah, Good luck with ribs changing, he wont and if he does GOD DO I HOPE SO!. But in Brier your getting another small player yes, but with talent , speed, heart, AND SOMEONE WHO CAN PLAY ALOT BETTWE WITH HIS LINEMATES!, The best player i seen ribs play constantly with besides Kovalev was...Dagenais.....and wow he sucks the bag.

No thank you......5 mill for one more SMALL player in our line up and at the same time making him the highest paid player? I'm sure Koivu and Kovalev would like that. I don't like this.... :hlogo:

Koivu wouldn't care thats why he was named Captian for reasons like this, Kovalev maybe, but too bad its been done Kovalev didnt go to arbitration and its only for one year so...and i think Brier is a RFA anyways next season so what does it matter, Also Ribiero is small i don't know what you say he might be 6'1 but im sorry he a toothpick when Brier has Muscle over his frame.

Dont get the small part here fellas .... Unless Ribs has taken a dose of gh and steroids in the past 4 months I consider Ribs a Small framed player so there aint no setback here...just status quo on the size thing.... plus if we traded Ryder and Ribs for briere that leaves aspot open for another forward who could be bigger than Ryder.

now on the monetary issue I agree its too much! but like I said the size issue is a wasted arguement

And i agree with you 100% on that size thing.

5M? No way. If the sabres can eat up some of that contract then Im for it but not otherwise.

i thought you couldnt trade trade cash. The way to eat the contract would be like to take Bonk...

He's the modern day Theoren Fleury IMO. So, if the Habs can get him I say "go!"

I could say "for the right price". But, I don't have to. It's Gainey after all. He'll make the right decision if this scenario pops up.

The only issue is after the Ryder signing we onlt have 2,060,000 left in cap. Good wiggle room. We'll have to shed about 4 million to get Briere IMO.

So who?

GO FOR IT BOB!!!

Hes one of my favourite players.. and who wouldnt want him?!?!

Hes got heart, talent, SPEED, and the ability to put up 100+points with a healthy year.... not to mention the wonders that he could do between Sammy and Kovy.

5million.... thats pretty decent salary.

Like i said before GO FOR IT BOB!!!

:hlogo:

There's no doubt in my dreams, we would be a better team with him in the lineup! The question is what will buffalo's asking price be. It cannot be much, seeing as we'd be helping them get under that cap!

Next issue, this would severely, hamper our ability to fill in for any major injury during the season, we need some space to trade and deal and pickup if the situation calls for it. I for one feel this can be worked out if required so its not a deal breaker.

What about the size issue? Well, in the new NHL, speed, scoring and playmaking is as good as size and physical play; I'd argue better. Just imagine the line of Sammy, Brie and Kovy; I get afraid to start dreaming just in case I raise the bar too high for them to produce.

So the question in my mind is;

Does Ribs + 3Mil equal Briere at (5mil) ?; If not now then what about at the trade deadline?

How about on the ice? If I put them head to head who's skills are better;

Ribs is not a very good defensive forward, neither is Briere;

Ribs is tall but small vs Brie is short but big (shoots right!)

Who comes out of the corner with the puck? I say Briere. Who would go to the net and pay the price? I say Briere.

Who is more creative and a bigger threat to score and make plays, again Briere, based on his consistant output and almost similar junior career to Ribs (Although Ribs is slightly better in junior).

Who has the potential of getting hurt bad, I say Ribs! (Although he has never had a major injury)

These two players are almost identical, their NHL records thus far gives Brie, the advantage only slightly.

Some argue that Ribs is young at 26 and still has room to develop and that he will;

Brie, is 28 and when he was 26 put up numbers similar to Ribs; So the critics could be correct.

So can we wait till Ribs fills out into the player he can be? Is this his year?

If I had the chance to pull this trade at the deadline would I? Yes, only if Ribs underperforms again, then why not now? Well, only because I think he is young and growing and will get better, and if not, I'm sure at the trade deadline we could pick up a very good center. I think 3mil extra for a #2 center now is too much to gamble with, considering he is not that much of an improvement over Ribs at the moment. But that could change mid season.

Well, I have more questions than answers and thats why I am not BG and I don't get to make the call!

As a fan I say make the deal and pickup Briere! Cause it would be fun to dream!

Edited by Chips

This trade is not going to happen.

If Buffalo doesn't want to spend $5M on their best player, they are not going to trade for players whose salaries add up to or close to $5M (i.e., Ribeiro and Ryder). As well, both Ryder and Ribeiro are on one year contracts, and if either has a good season another raise will be in order. Ryder deffinately has the potential to earn $3M per year after this season.

If this trade is to happen, it will have to be for Ryder and prospects/young roster players. Then, Montreal would need to dump a contract onto someone else, perhaps Bonk or Ribeiro.

So the question in my mind is;

Does Ribs + 3Mil equal Briere at (5mil) ?; If not now then what about at the trade deadline?

These two players are almost identical, their NHL records thus far gives Brie, the advantage only slightly.

You must have been a Leaf fan before being a Habs fan. Because I've only ever heard Leafs fans over rate their own players that badly. Even if you don't believe the stats, just watching each player COMPETE on the ice tells you that Briere is a better player than Ribeiro is or will ever be.

Gman!

Please. don't read one line from my post and use it out of context from my entire post to insult me!

I really don't appreciate it! Try to post your opinions and arguments, minus any personal insults! However, if you choose to head down that path I am happy to follow.

"You must have been a Leaf fan before being a Habs fan." - Gman (Today, 09:26 PM)

I guess it may take one to know one eh?

Your point however, on his stats is true. Briere does have better NHL stats than Ribs!

My, comment about them being equal is based on their ages, wages compared to their contribution to the team, development, junior records, injuries, skill levels and chemistry to the team and their lines. And the risk taken by the team.

And for the record!

Yes I admit, the leafs are my second best team from the bottom of my list of favorite teams! Its a long list!

Edited by Chips