Ryder Signs!

brboo

Better deal than I expected, but I don't think I'm alone when I say it would have been nice for them to work out a multi-year contract.

I agree but u never know, they could have just signed him to trade in a package for briere!

Too bad it's only one year but I'm glad to see that they got him for not too much. I was worried with arbitration he'd end up getting close to $3 mil.

Gainey's done a great job getting everyone locked up this quickly, a lot of teams still have several unsigned players and are already close to the cap (See Vancouver Canucks). Now I just can't wait for training camp to see how the new guys do.

good news..abitration earing puts both the team and the player in a situation they don't wish to be in.

so our salary cap is up to 42 M..that doesn't give us much liberty to bring another player later on

Well, being this close to the salary cap virtually guarantees that the team we field this year will not have the same faces in 2007-08. Our young guys are getting too good and the market will demand that they earn more dough.

I guess that makes it official! Lord Stanley MUST return to Montreal in 2007!

:hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

Yea i really hope ryder leaves. Main reason gives another spot open for a rookie that can light it up *COUGH* PEREZHOGIN *COUGH*

And Ryder is greedy he always takes so long to sign a new contract what a concided kid...( i unno how to spell that word)

Edited by koivu-11

great to hear. Glad to have the band back together.

As to next year, there are some older salaries that will come off the books... and the goalie situation will be more clear.

As to the 1 yr contract, we got a lot and I hope that too much isnt read in to it vis a vis ryder.

2 million left in cap room is quite a bit for a deadline deal considering the salary will only be based on how many games are left in the season...like Corvina said, that could be a 6 million dollar player.

2 million left in cap room is quite a bit for a deadline deal considering the salary will only be based on how many games are left in the season...like Corvina said, that could be a 6 million dollar player.

It's actually an 8 million dollar player, or 8 million in players... since the deadline is now with about 20 games remaining... 25% of the season... So 2 million in cap space gives you 8 million dollars available in salary room.

Yea i really hope ryder leaves. Main reason gives another spot open for a rookie that can light it up *COUGH* PEREZHOGIN *COUGH*

And Ryder is greedy he always takes so long to sign a new contract what a concided kid...( i unno how to spell that word)

Why is Ryder greedy? Asking for your market value is smart not greedy, 2.2 mil for a 30 goal scorer is a good deal, especially when that 30 goals is tops on the team. "Conceated", I think not Edited by olematelot

No way is Ryder conceited, he is a good player who wants to make what the market is paying for players in his position. I also think that by signing the 1 year deal he is planning for the year he can test the market and see what would other teams be willing to pay for his service. If he continues with 30 goal seasons or more I suggest his value may be more then what the fans on this board would want to believe. It is the business part of sports.<_<

Edited by thib46

Ryder was the team's leading goal scorer last season and was 2nd on the team the year before (adding many more assists than Zednik, the one man who surpassed him). Can you blame him for wanting to get paid? I think not.

Ryder was the team's leading goal scorer last season and was 2nd on the team the year before (adding many more assists than Zednik, the one man who surpassed him). Can you blame him for wanting to get paid? I think not.

I think it's great deal for the team. I think he could've gotten even more

Was Ryder greedy or conceited? No.

If he went to Arbitration then I'd say Yes, and IMO his advisors probably encouraged him to proceed and get the best dollar possible. If I was his financial advisor, thats what I would have pressed him to do; considering the habs did not offer a multi-year contract;

Now, for those who say that Ryder was the one who wanted a long term deal and did not get it cause BG was not offering, then I say to you; maybe, then if so Ryder should have gone to Arbitration and taken the max value he could have squeezed out of the Canadiens. Then play hard next season and sign up with someone who will pay him top dollar.

IMO Ryder held all the cards. If he did proceed all the way to arbitration; He would have ended up with more. Which begs the question why the hold out. I felt it was because a multi year deal was being tossed around. These components to the deal and what lead up to it we may never truly know.

I for one feel this gives deal gainey the best options, he can deal for more talent come the trade deadline to push us over the top and into a playoff winner, because he has more cash on hand under the cap. On the other hand with one year deals we can trade and unload and pick up if need be next year, seeing as he is an UFA. And we have quite a few of them next year.

So this smells of more a raw deal for Ryder than the habs, if he does not perform because of injury or a bad season, he will not get paid next year.

Based on this deal 2.2mil well under what he deserves based on market value being awarded by arbitrators to similar players; who in some cases under performed compared to him; Its my opinion that Ryder is not greedy, but wanted to be recognized for his contribution thus far with a fair deal.

He's a man who has paid his dues battling and playing hard night in and night out, often proving is critics wrong (and obviously he'll be doing that everyday of his career ); I for one am proud he settled before the hearing and agreed to less than what he could have made and to me that only means that his heart is truly with the habs.

Look for another Brilliant season from Michael the pride of Bonavista; he will out perform and we will be the lucky ones watching and enjoying his heart for the game. If he does match or surpass his numbers, a multi-year deal will be his; And I don't think it will take much for him to sign up, I hope he proves me right.

Edited by Chips

frankly 2.2 mil is a very good price and makes me think its more habs reluctance than ryder obstinance. I have absolutely no problem with this price and he probably would have gotten more in arb (unless he has some issue we don't know about and the habs do).