Ryder Signs!

brboo

My opinion of him just went up because of this.. he could had easilly got 200K-800K more in arbitration but he comprimsed instead. :)

Why does so many people believes Ryder could have got more in arbitration than what he got now? Nobody knows that, not even the guy who would have had to make the final decision if it went in arbitration. Judging the values of players is not that easy and obvious.

Its all about comparing stats to other players and you can make those stats say anything. Its "Ryder scores as many goals as Doan and Drury who are paid around 3M$" vs "Ryder only had as many points as Jussi Jokinen and MIke Cammalleri" who are making under 1M$"

Ryder's agent could easily have figured that both parties were too far apart, and that threatening to go in arbitration and see if Gainey let's it go or let it follow its course. Who flinched at the last time? The GM who offered a deal? Or the player who could have just refused the deal and go get more in arbitration?

Ryder took the deal because it was probably better than what he expected to get in arbitration; or because he never wanted go in arbitration in the first place.

Gainey wins. Ryder can't rest on his laurels and has to come up with improved numbers or he'll be stuck around 2.2M$ again for the next season.

Serge Savard's old contracts philosophy was to avoid any bonuses for personnal stats. I think the business has changed too much for it to work anymore; but 1-year deals can work the same. If players have to prove themselves every year, they'll keep on their toes. I dont if it'll become standard; at least for players in the same range as Ryder, the second-tier players in their mid-20's.

What killed the "Old NHL" was all the one-year wonders carrying around huge and long contracts, indirectly contributing in the ever-increasing average salary (because following contracts were based on comparisons), which then choked the poorest markets first; and then started choking the middle-markets until the lock-out was inevitable.

Habs got a great deal.

I think it might be very good for the team that no player went to arbitration and that might also have been the reason Ryder didnt. He noticed that he was the only one on the team and didnt wanna have that following him the whole season if he would have a bad year.

2.2 is a great price, and exactly what I figured he was going to get in arbitration. I only wish they could have locked him up for 2 or 3 years, I hate going into the off season having to resign so many players every year.

Interesting signing Ryder to a one year deal instead of multi-year. According to Habsworld own salary cap page, there is only $12million in contracts after next season. http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=821

So it looks like Bob Gainey tinkered with the lineup and made some changes so that the team was cap friendly after the 2006/2007 season. Hopefully Mr. Ryder steps up his game and produces 30goals + next season as it is what he does best. He is still young with upside so I am glad he is back.

Good for him.

I hope that he shows continued growth or, at worst, consistency of performance.

He can be a very, very valuable part of the team. If he can consistently be a 30-goal scorer for the next handful of years or more then that would be most precious.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Nice to see Ryder signing before arbitration, those hearings can get nasty, from what I've read. The one year deals from Gainey are interesting, he'll be very busy next year, but he'll probably have a better idea of what these guys are worth, long term after this season. My understanding is that Ryder is still restricted after this year.

Nice to see Ryder signing before arbitration, those hearings can get nasty, from what I've read. The one year deals from Gainey are interesting, he'll be very busy next year, but he'll probably have a better idea of what these guys are worth, long term after this season. My understanding is that Ryder is still restricted after this year.

I also like all these 1year deals. They will make it alot easier to decide who to keep and who not to resign.

Lets say we get REALLY lucky and 1-2 prospects proves to be top line caliber this upcoming season.

$2.2 Million for a 30 goal scorer. Not too bad in my books. THats well worth it

especially since he's gonna beat that mark.

one thing that I like about ryder: he's never injured( not that I want to jinx him by saying) he misted only 2 games in two seasons...

especially since he's gonna beat that mark.

one thing that I like about ryder: he's never injured( not that I want to jinx him by saying) he misted only 2 games in two seasons...

Well he did have that hernia/back problem thingy this past year.

As a guy who has recovered from a back injury, I can tell you that its one of those injuries that can return. It does not take that much to re-injure. I hope he looks after it and continues to strenghen it and commits himself to returning 100%. He really can't afford to have a sub-par season. His pay check next year in 07/08 will depend on it.

Pumped Ryder signed for 2.2 million.

That is a deal and a half for a 30 goal scorer.

I would love to see him put up 40+ this year and return to the more physical game he played in his rookie season.

But there's no limit to how many times you almost go to arbitration.

Actually, there is. Maybe I should have said a player can choose to go to arbitration only once in his career. If he signs before the actual hearing, he can't opt for it again down the road.

Pumped Ryder signed for 2.2 million.

That is a deal and a half for a 30 goal scorer.

I would love to see him put up 40+ this year and return to the more physical game he played in his rookie season.

I agree completely. Hopefully, he will get back to a more physical game next year if that damn hernia doesn't botter him next year, I think that it's what caused him to be less physical this year.

Yea i really hope ryder leaves. Main reason gives another spot open for a rookie that can light it up *COUGH* PEREZHOGIN *COUGH*

And Ryder is greedy he always takes so long to sign a new contract what a concided kid...( i unno how to spell that word)

Ryder is conceited?... NOT! ... last time i checked hockey is a business, albeit a sport... and why blame a guy for looking after his security?... why blame him for wanting the best deal he can get? :angry2:

No trouble to tell you haven't met Michael before.

Way to go Rydsey!! Good deal!! :P