Vishnevski?

habsfan88

With the recent injuries to the Canadiens' defensive core, one would think that the Habs might take interest in defenceman Vitaly Vishnevski...He's got the size, and is a solid defenseman. Personally I would be happy if Montreal pursued him because of their injuries, has anyone read any rumours or speculations about this?

hey maybe we should deal souray for Vitaly Vishnevski and francois beauchemin so we would repair an old gaffe and sheldon would be close to his daughter.

I think you would have to throw in something else to get Vishnevski AND Beauchemin.

Maybe Souray and Streit OR Cote for Beauchemin and Vishnevski.

Add someone else with Souray?? :wacko:

Beauchemin is good but still learning, and they don't even want Vishnevski.

The Ducks are getting a steal of a deal if you ask me.

Souray's salary is around $2.28M versus Vishnevski's at $1.55M. I would love to see the Habs get Beauchemin back, but even both his salary [500K] and Vishnevski's salary's are less than Souray's. The Habs would have to sweeten the offer, likely with draft picks or not-ready-for-prime-time prospects, because the Ducks want to lessen their payroll, not add to it, for this season.

Someone make Brian Burke some home made jam and send it out laced with some sort of hallucinogen. Let Bob know when he'll likely be getting it. Bob will call him after breakfast California time and strike a Streit for Vishnevski and Beauchemin :P

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Souray to Anaheim makes sense. Souray would be closer to his daughter, and we'd be getting rid of a big defensive liability.

Souray might sometimes have his problems in his own end but he's far from being a big defensive liability.

Souray brings ALOT more to this team than he will ever managed to substract from it as a result of his occasional missaps in the D zone.......our team needs his shots and scoring ability, we need his toughness

in the back-end and last but not least we need his intimidating fighting skills along with his willingness to

use it when his teamates get abused when playing on the road.

The way our team is set right now........I wouldn't feel confident if Souray wasn't part of it.....it seems so clear to me how an important piece of the puzzle he is.

I think, in the talks of possible deals, we've underestimated the calue of Francois Beauchemin. For what it's worth, he was one of the highlights of the Anaheim defensive corps against the avalanche in the playoffs. Aside from Bryzgalov, Beauchemin and Niedermayer were the ducks real solid defensemen. 1. I don't think Anaheim would part with him. 2. If they did, the price would be higher than I think a lot of us would be willing to pay. But whoever gets Vishnevsky has an automatic 2-3 defenseman.

I think, in the talks of possible deals, we've underestimated the calue of Francois Beauchemin. For what it's worth, he was one of the highlights of the Anaheim defensive corps against the avalanche in the playoffs. Aside from Bryzgalov, Beauchemin and Niedermayer were the ducks real solid defensemen. 1. I don't think Anaheim would part with him. 2. If they did, the price would be higher than I think a lot of us would be willing to pay. But whoever gets Vishnevsky has an automatic 2-3 defenseman.

Francois Beauchemin now at 500.000 for the next season will be with the Duck for many years to come.

From what I saw during their playoffs his playing looks soooo solid,....not unlike what I saw from him when

he played those pre-season games with us prior to the 02-03 and the 03-04 seasons.....solid came to mind already then....how we managed to loose him is disconscerting.....but forget and forgive we must.

You didn't see him in the playoffs.

Well I know I did, and with the sole exception of the instance in which the referee collided with Sheldon, making him late on the play, I didn't see anything that would classify him as a big defensive liability. You can't just call someone that if he's on the ice when the other team scores... especially when that other team is the eventual Stanley Cup champion.

I'd like to see Souray stay...

Well I know I did, and with the sole exception of the instance in which the referee collided with Sheldon, making him late on the play, I didn't see anything that would classify him as a big defensive liability. You can't just call someone that if he's on the ice when the other team scores... especially when that other team is the eventual Stanley Cup champion.

As would I. Yes, there were some embarassing moments last year, and I still hear it from the Leafs fans (living in toronto and all), but I have never seen Souray lose a fight...Souray has the monster shot and he was starting to look alot better in the scoring category nearing the end of last season. If Sheldon can get his scoring groove back, then I want to keep him.

The Souray bashers are like the Ryder bashers: out of their minds. There's not a team in the NHL that wouldn't gladly add either guy to their roster, warts and all.

Warts?!

Keen observer lasy26,....not many people even noticed that the referee was out of position right behind Sheldon just as he started backing-up in response to the turn-over up the ice that lead to the incoming rush,...

the referee really f-up there,....yet Souray didn't make a big deal out of it,...a pretty cool guy it seems to me.

Do we need Souray's booming shot? We obviously upgraded our offense. Let them do what they're paid to do.

What we really need is A) another Dman QB on the PP and B) A very solid defensive dman.

Souray is neither. He can score, but I think he would be much more valuable if he was a better passer. I'd take someone who can feed our talented forwards up front over someone who just has a huge shot.

Besides, Streit has a good shot too.

The Souray bashers are like the Ryder bashers: out of their minds. There's not a team in the NHL that wouldn't gladly add either guy to their roster, warts and all.

I'm not out of my mind. When Souray gets turned inside-out by Chara, you know something's wrong.

The only way I'm interested in him is that he'd be a replacement for our shortage of defensemen.

But, really, I'd rather see one of our young guys come up.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Do we need Souray's booming shot? We obviously upgraded our offense. Let them do what they're paid to do.

What we really need is A) another Dman QB on the PP and B) A very solid defensive dman.

Souray is neither. He can score, but I think he would be much more valuable if he was a better passer. I'd take someone who can feed our talented forwards up front over someone who just has a huge shot.

Besides, Streit has a good shot too.

I'm not out of my mind. When Souray gets turned inside-out by Chara, you know something's wrong.

Souray is providing much more than his huge shot to our club and his physical presence and intimidating

reputation are a must have for our fairly light hochey club,....loosing him would radically shift our precarious

team's balance to an overly soft one.

A Dman QB on PP ? Sound's like another hysterical hallucination coming from the mouth of a salivating

Michel Bergeron on 110%.

I am all for having more Quebecois in the team but never at the expense of remaining rationnal on our way there.

The only way I'm interested in him is that he'd be a replacement for our shortage of defensemen.

But, really, I'd rather see one of our young guys come up.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Unfortunately, the Habs aren't deep at D down on the farm, which is why they went on the run during this year's draft grabbing dmen and centers. It's not like the forward position where the Habs are struggling to find spots for some promising youngsters.

As far as the one comment regarding Souray bashers, you've got to admit Souray definitely struggled for a good portion of the year, and I'd even go as far to say that his only truly good season was his breakout All-Star year. I used to be amongst the worst of the Souray bashers back in the day, and while he's a decent dman for the Habs (mainly due to the lack of depth on the blue line in Montreal), he still frightens me, especially in one on one situations. I know Spezza is good, but that highlight reel goal just makes me cringe everytime I see it.

Unfortunately, the Habs aren't deep at D down on the farm, which is why they went on the run during this year's draft grabbing dmen and centers. It's not like the forward position where the Habs are struggling to find spots for some promising youngsters.

As far as the one comment regarding Souray bashers, you've got to admit Souray definitely struggled for a good portion of the year, and I'd even go as far to say that his only truly good season was his breakout All-Star year. I used to be amongst the worst of the Souray bashers back in the day, and while he's a decent dman for the Habs (mainly due to the lack of depth on the blue line in Montreal), he still frightens me, especially in one on one situations. I know Spezza is good, but that highlight reel goal just makes me cringe everytime I see it.

...........and, unfortunately, I think thats exactly what most people only remember about Souray's season last year....the highlight real goal that was played over and over (ad nauseum for habs's fans) ...........once he dealt with his off-ice issues, he played like he did 2 years ago.......like somebody else said, any team in this league would love to have his toughness at their blueline......he's got one of the best shots from the point, and in the new NHL with so many 5-on-3's, this DOES matter.......either scoring straight in on a 1-timer or paralyzing the goalie enough for rebounders to pick up the scraps....like I've said over-and-over again..........LEAVE SOURAY ALONE!!!