Your All-time Habs Team

Hawkeye

Who would be on your all-time best Habs line-up?? Of course 90% of these guys are HOFers already, the only guys I added were Koivu, Chelios, Carbonneau and Naslund, because I think they're the only ones right now that have a real shot at making it to the HOF. I'm a young pup at only 25 years old, so I can't tell ya who played wing or center and the lines have no real meaning I was just making a list of the best :hlogo: ever.

If I have forgot anyone then fell free to add.

Jean Beliveau-Henri Richard-Maurice Richard

Bob Gainey-Guy Carbonneau-Guy LaFleur

Howie Morenz-Saku Koivu-Denis Savard

Steve Shutt-Joe Malone-Yvan Cournoyer

Elmer Lach-Toe Blake-Mats Naslund

Doug Harvey-Larry Robinson

Bernie Geoffrion-Guy Lapointe

Serge Savard-Chris Chelios

Butch Bouchard-Jacques Laperriere

Ken Dryden

Patrick Roy

Jacques Plante

Georges Vezina

Wow wouldn't that be an awesome line-up?!?!? No other team in the league could ice an all-time team like that.

Edited by Hawkeye

you put Denis Savard down twice ... dont get me wrong hes 1 of my favourite alltime players. I mean he did create the savardian spinoramma. But maybe remove the second 1 and replace with Damphouse or Carbo. Or maybe another guy that scored 50 like Stephan Richer.

I noticed there is no Dickie Moore, can't have a team like this and omit Dickie. And who would coach this team? My money would be on Toe Blake/Scotty Bowman, but I wouldn't be opposed to Dick Irvin

Come to think of it there is no Newsy Lalonde either, the original Flying Frenchmen, an absolute must. I think Saku could be replaced since playing in a league with comparable players from other teams he would get his head severed from his torso, and would be injured within 10 seconds of his first shift. He could never play with this caliber of toughness.

Okay I will end here, I could go on forever adding players and subtracting, but of course that is the beauty of this sort of thing isn't it?

you put Denis Savard down twice ... dont get me wrong hes 1 of my favourite alltime players. I mean he did create the savardian spinoramma. But maybe remove the second 1 and replace with Damphouse or Carbo. Or maybe another guy that scored 50 like Stephan Richer.

Actually it was Serge Savard and the legendary Danny Gallivan who combined to create the Savardian spinerama - long before Denis even played in the NHL......

Aurele Joliat.......

Geoffrion on defence?

Edited by beliveau1

Actually it was Serge Savard and the legendary Danny Gallivan who combined to create the Savardian spinerama - long before Denis even played in the NHL......

Aurele Joliat.......

Geoffrion on defence?

Wow I did not know that. All this time he was my favourite player because of the spinoramma. I feel so used and cheated.

Wow I did not know that. All this time he was my favourite player because of the spinoramma. I feel so used and cheated.

Sorry didn't want to do that.....

Savard used it with great success primarily at the opposition blueline to spin away from forwards trying to check him, but did use it from time to time elsewhere when under pressure. Gallivan coined the phrase 'Savardian Spinerama' on HNIC that was used to describe that manouver - not sure exactly when? It was both the signature move of one of the greatest all time Habs defenceman, and a signature phrase of a legendary Habs announcer......

As for Denis - a magnificent talent who spent the best years of his career in Chicago, and was on the downside of a great career when he came to Montreal - thus I wouldn't qualify him as a member of the Habs greatest all time team. He spent too little time in a Habs jersey to have a right to that status. A Hall of Famer definitely, and an all time great Black Hawk team member, unfortunately just not for the Habs......

Edited by beliveau1

Who would be on your all-time best Habs line-up?? Of course 90% of these guys are HOFers already, the only guys I added were Koivu, Chelios, Carbonneau and Naslund, because I think they're the only ones right now that have a real shot at making it to the HOF. I'm a young pup at only 25 years old, so I can't tell ya who played wing or center and the lines have no real meaning I was just making a list of the best :hlogo: ever.

If I have forgot anyone then fell free to add.

Jean Beliveau-Henri Richard-Maurice Richard

Bob Gainey-Guy Carbonneau-Guy LaFleur

Howie Morenz-Saku Koivu-Denis Savard

Steve Shutt-Joe Malone-Yvan Cournoyer

Elmer Lach-Toe Blake-Mats Naslund

Doug Harvey-Larry Robinson

Bernie Geoffrion-Guy Lapointe

Serge Savard-Chris Chelios

Butch Bouchard-Jacques Laperriere

Ken Dryden

Patrick Roy

Jacques Plante

Georges Vezina

Wow wouldn't that be an awesome line-up?!?!? No other team in the league could ice an all-time team like that.

The only problem I have with your list is that you included everybody. 27 players? Come on. How about cutting it down to 22 or so? An actually NHL team size

I'd go with

Shutt Beliveau M. Richard

Cournoyer Morenz Lafleur

Olmstead Lach Geoffrion

Gainey Carbonneau H. Richard

Doug Harvey Serge Savard

Larry Robinson Chris Chelios

Guy Lapointe Jaques Lapierre

Jaques Plante

Patrick Roy

In the pressbox...John Ferguson, Dickie Moore and Jaques Lemaire. Ferguson for toughness and Lemaire for defensive and big game ability. He was knwn for coming through in the playoffs. Dickie Moore simply because he should be there, but I put Shutt in the starting lineup because he can score 60 goals.

The next person I would add would be Claude Lemieux.

My Coach would be Toe Blake. Bowman can be his assistant

NOtes..... yes I moved Cournoyer to his opposite wing,and "The Pocket Rockett" to right wing. Some may be suprised by Bert Olmstead, but Jean Beliveau, Elmer Lach and Boom Boom Geoffrion claim he was the key to making combination work.

Edited by kaos

As for Denis - a magnificent talent who spent the best years of his career in Chicago, and was on the downside of a great career when he came to Montreal - thus I wouldn't qualify him as a member of the Habs greatest all time team. He spent too little time in a Habs jersey to have a right to that status. A Hall of Famer definitely, and an all time great Black Hawk team member, unfortunately just not for the Habs......

So what you are trying to say is that to say "Denis Savard is 1 of the greatest Montreal Canadians ever" would be like saying "Guy Lefleur is 1 of the greatest Quebec Nordiques ever"? NOT!!!

So what you are trying to say is that to say "Denis Savard is 1 of the greatest Montreal Canadians ever" would be like saying "Guy Lefleur is 1 of the greatest Quebec Nordiques ever"? NOT!!!

I think you may have misread that - What I said was, I think Denis Savard was an NHL Hall of Famer who qualifies as one of the all time greats who played in a Chicago Black Hawks uniform. As a result of playing the best years of his career in Chicago I think he would be considered a member of an all time great Black Hawk team..... Not an all time great Habs team member. If he had played the majority of his career in Montreal then he definitely would have been a candidate in my books. I said in my post that he isn't an all time great habs in my books for that reason alone - not based on his talent?

I think you may have misread that - What I said was, I think Denis Savard was an NHL Hall of Famer who qualifies as one of the all time greats who played in a Chicago Black Hawks uniform. As a result of playing the best years of his career in Chicago I think he would be considered a member of an all time great Black Hawk team..... Not an all time great Habs team member. If he had played the majority of his career in Montreal then he definitely would have been a candidate in my books. I said in my post that he isn't an all time great habs in my books for that reason alone - not based on his talent?

No I didnt misread and I agree 100% as I said befor Denis Savard is 1 of my Favourite players ever as was Guy. However when Guy was in Quebec he was not at his best. I used that as an example to support what you were trying to say.

No I didnt misread and I agree 100% as I said befor Denis Savard is 1 of my Favourite players ever as was Guy. However when Guy was in Quebec he was not at his best. I used that as an example to support what you were trying to say.

The way you worded that had me a bit confused I guess - I'm getting old!!!!!!!

Apologies extended profusely in large quantities??????

The way you worded that had me a bit confused I guess - I'm getting old!!!!!!!

Apologies extended profusely in large quantities??????

No appology necessary but but thank you anyway.

nobody said Nilan......he brought it all.Loved by fans,feared by opponents,scored over 20goals and played on the 1st line with Carbo and Big Bob. Saddest day when he left us!

It's not easy to put together a all-star Habs when there's so many Hall of famers.

It's more interesting if you narrow it down and ask for the 90's all-star or post 1986 all stars.

If you want to look at the all time greats who put on a Habs jersey over what is now almost a century, the frightening fact is you could make a motion for two teams that would pretty much be a shoe-in to theoretically play for the cup year in and year out?

To try to trim it down to one team is virtually impossible as it leaves far too many superstars off, no matter what you might try.

So here are a list of all time greats by position and you can draft your team accordingly......

Manager

Dick Irvin

Sam Pollock

Coach

Toe Blake

Scotty Bowman

Goal

Georges Vezina (1910-26)

George Hainsworth (1926-37)

Bill Durnan (1943-50)

Jacques Plante (1950-63)

Ken Dryden (1970-79)

Patrick Roy *** (1984-96) ( *** has been elected to the Hall of Fame - will be officially inducted in November 2006)

Defence

Sprague Cleghorn (1921-25)

Sylvio Mantha (1926-36)

Emile Bouchard (1941-56)

Ken Reardon (1940-50)

Tom Johnson (1947-63)

Doug Harvey (1947-61)

Jean-Guy Talbot (1954-67)

J.C.Tremblay (1959-72)

Jacques Laperriere (1962-74)

Serge Savard (1966-81)

Guy Lapointe (1968-82)

Larry Robinson (1972-89)

Chris Chelios (1983-90) ???

Albert 'Newsy' Lalonde - 1910, 1911, 1913-22

listed as a forward in pre and first generation modern NHL was considered to be the first superstar

Joe Malone (1917-19 & 1922-24) Malone scored 44 goals in 20 games in 1917

Centre

Howie Morenz (1926-37)

Elmer Lach (1940-54)

Ken Mosdell (1944-59)

Jean Beliveau (1950-71)

Henri Richard (1955-75)

Jacques Lemaire (1967-79)

Pete Mahovlich (1969-78)

Guy Carbonneau ((1980-94)

Right Wing

Maurice Richard (1942-60)

Floyd Currey (1947-58)

Bert Olmstead (1950-58)

Berard Geoffrion (1950-64)

Claude Provost (1955-70)

Yvan Cournoyer (1963-79)

Bobby Rousseau (1960-70)

Guy Lafleur (1971-85)

Left Wing

Aurel Joliat (1926-38)

Hector Blake (1935-48)

Dickie Moore (1951-63)

Gilles Tremblay (1960-69)

John Ferguson (1963-71) ???

Frank Mahovlich (1971-74) ???

Steve Shutt (1972-85)

Bob Gainey (1973-89)

Mats Naslund (1982-90)

Hall of Fame Members in Red

In no particular order, these are some of the greatest players who ever wore a Habs' jersey. Disagree if you choose to, but I'd bet my bucks on a Stanley Cup finals appearance with any combination of these players any day. Right wing was the toughest to find enough for two teams? John Ferguson was added to that list due to the fact that he was probably the best tough guy the Habs ever carried.

Have fun - and can any other franchise find that many to argue over as to whether they are their greatest players ever or not.........

Going fishing in the north for 10 days, so I'll read the responses when I get back - should be interesting to say the least.

Edited by beliveau1

Roy is also a HoF member.

Anyways, great list to choose from - I've just a favourite forward line with Guy Lafleur, Jean Beliveau and Maurice Richard.

Technically he is not yet a member of the Hall of Fame as he still has to be officially inducted, so I didn't include him for that reason. I should have made a note of his election though - but unfortunately I was was getting ready to go on a fishing trip when I put this list together and forgot to correct that. Thanks for reminding me about that oversight......