Sheldon Souray

huzer

Kinda threadjacked the Vishnevski topic, so I'm starting this one.

Whether via trade, or just a loss to free agency, he will not return to the Habs after this season. In a one on one situation where the puck is moving towards him, he is without a doubt, the last Habs defenseman I would want on the ice. He's as predictable as Zednick's one handed sweep in wide of the net move...First, Sheldon swings his stick at the puck, then he's back on his heels, then he's stopped, and trying to spin at the player as they zoom by. Wee! I'll leave him alone when he improves his defensive play, or turns in another high quality offensive season. Sheesh, Markov was a winger before he was converted to a defenseman and his defensive zone coverage is much better.

IF the Habs were a much deeper defensive team, I would love to have Souray as my third pairing defenseman, with limited ice time, that played the point on the PP. His defensive liabilities are such that I'm nervous giving him 20+ minutes of ice. If he can prove me wrong this season, then that would be great. Heck, Rivet did it with his improved play last year, but his footwork is a lot stronger than Souray's, which is his (Rivet's) greatest asset.

It's unfortunate that when Souray displays such a defensive lapse, it typically ends up as a highlight reel goal. I don't believe Souray is as bad as some choose to make him out to be.

I'll be sad to see Souray go, if/when he does go. I think he brings a lot to the game, and that those qualities largely outweigh his defensive lapses...

It could be worse, we could be paying over 10 million $$ for Kubina and McCabe... :lol:

As for Sour, he is more than just a player on the PP, he is a big part of our leadership on and off the ice..

He is tough and doesn't take crap from anyone...Has anyone actually seen him lose a fight? LOL

Not to mention his BOOMING shot from the point...

He does have mental lapses that do lead to highlight reel goals, but it is up to our goalie to bail him out from time to time..I would hate to see him leave becuase he is one of my favourite habs...I loved it when he opened McCarty up on that western swing last season..

I agree. Souray as a 3rd-pair guy would be the ideal. But since the Habs lack depth and are small on the left side (Markov and Bouillon the other D's), Souray gets more defensive missions than he can perhaps handle, especially against big, fast and talented offensive forwards.

I dont see who in the Habs' prospect pool could replace Souray on the left-side in a year from now. Too bad that O'Byrne's a right-side guy. I'm guessing Gainey will have to find a replacement through trades or free agency. Unless J-P Côté shows some tremendous progress.

I agree. Souray as a 3rd-pair guy would be the ideal. But since the Habs lack depth and are small on the left side (Markov and Bouillon the other D's), Souray gets more defensive missions than he can perhaps handle, especially against big, fast and talented offensive forwards.

I dont see who in the Habs' prospect pool could replace Souray on the left-side in a year from now. Too bad that O'Byrne's a right-side guy. I'm guessing Gainey will have to find a replacement through trades or free agency. Unless J-P Côté shows some tremendous progress.

Okay, that's it.

I can't take it anymore.

EVERYONE STOP SHITTING ON SOURAY.

After an ALL STAR 2003-2004 season, he had a rough start to 2005-2006, can you blame him? He had a very messy spilt with his wife, and clearly didn't have his head in the game.

Pre Olympic break he had 5 goals, 15 assists in 49 games, which is very dissapointing. Then once he had two weeks to get himself together, at the TOUGHEST part of the year he went on to put up 7 goals and 12 assists in only 26 games, which are numbers for a TOP dman. He ended the season with 39 points in 75 games. Without his messy start he's a 50+ point Dman. Okay yes, he does get undressed from time to time, but not as much as everyone seems to think.

I think the Habs should do EVERYTHING they can to lock him up long term, replacing Souray won't be easy at all. He's a big time leader on the team, whenever someone runs our goalie, he takes care of it. When someone runs Ribeiro, he takes care of it, if someone goes after Koivu, they meet Mr Souray. He doesn't choose who he protects, he's the ultimate team player, and the players on the team appreciate him immensely.

Remember, Pavel Kubina, who IMO is not a better Dman than Souray, got 5 million a year from the Leafs, if we can sign Souray long term for 3-3.5 million per year we better do it. Because there are better defensemen in the league, but not as many as some of you think, and many of them can't bring what Souray does, not in the least.

Remember, he strikes fear into other teams, and if the team you are playing against is scared, they are at a disadvantage.

One more thing, I'm a season ticket holder, I go to 40+ games a year, I see what goes on during the commercials and whatnot, Souray is ALWAYS pumping up his teammates, encouraging them, being a leader.

If he goes go, many of you will regret what you said, because without a doubt the Habs will be a weaker team, in more ways than one.

It could be worse, we could be paying over 10 million $$ for Kubina and McCabe... :lol:

As for Sour, he is more than just a player on the PP, he is a big part of our leadership on and off the ice..

He is tough and doesn't take crap from anyone...Has anyone actually seen him lose a fight? LOL

Not to mention his BOOMING shot from the point...

He does have mental lapses that do lead to highlight reel goals, but it is up to our goalie to bail him out from time to time..I would hate to see him leave becuase he is one of my favourite habs...I loved it when he opened McCarty up on that western swing last season..

Yeah, I agree with both points here. Souray is worth keeping at the cash he's making. It would be nice in a perfect world to sign him again but... :?-

It's very possible that Souray might go. Maybe sooner. Maybe later. If we believe in what he says then hw will want to stay in Montreal. Or was that comment in the Gazette meant to deflect the media sharks?

We have to remember that last season was one that Souray would rather forget for many reasons. He'll have a clean slate. I hope he is a killer! His trading stock could go WAY up for potent returns. Or, if he stays and plays awesome we might just go very far. :hlogo:

I'm sure he must be getting training or figuring out how to adapt to the new NHL. He knows the difference between 3 and 5 million dollars. I have to believe he wants to go get da money. AND, IT'S A CONTRACT YEAR. COULD BE A BONUS :P

Sheldon Souray might be on a mission :hlogo:

This is the problem with defence.

I even bet that the Ducks fans think they could have better defence.

But if the Habs are as good as I hope and think they are this won't be a problem.

Okay, that's it.

I can't take it anymore.

After an ALL STAR 2003-2004 season, he had a rough start to 2005-2006, can you blame him? He had a very messy spilt with his wife, and clearly didn't have his head in the game.

Pre Olympic break he had 5 goals, 15 assists in 49 games, which is very dissapointing. Then once he had two weeks to get himself together, at the TOUGHEST part of the year he went on to put up 7 goals and 12 assists in only 26 games, which are numbers for a TOP dman. He ended the season with 39 points in 75 games. Without his messy start he's a 50+ point Dman. Okay yes, he does get undressed from time to time, but not as much as everyone seems to think.

I think the Habs should do EVERYTHING they can to lock him up long term, replacing Souray won't be easy at all. He's a big time leader on the team, whenever someone runs our goalie, he takes care of it. When someone runs Ribeiro, he takes care of it, if someone goes after Koivu, they meet Mr Souray. He doesn't choose who he protects, he's the ultimate team player, and the players on the team appreciate him immensely.

Remember, Pavel Kubina, who IMO is not a better Dman than Souray, got 5 million a year from the Leafs, if we can sign Souray long term for 3-3.5 million per year we better do it. Because there are better defensemen in the league, but not as many as some of you think, and many of them can't bring what Souray does, not in the least.

Remember, he strikes fear into other teams, and if the team you are playing against is scared, they are at a disadvantage.

One more thing, I'm a season ticket holder, I go to 40+ games a year, I see what goes on during the commercials and whatnot, Souray is ALWAYS pumping up his teammates, encouraging them, being a leader.

If he goes go, many of you will regret what you said, because without a doubt the Habs will be a weaker team, in more ways than one.

VERY VERY GOOD POINTS. I say lock him long term while we can. He is a great habs and i think wants stay here. go shelly go

Kinda threadjacked the Vishnevski topic, so I'm starting this one.

Whether via trade, or just a loss to free agency, he will not return to the Habs after this season. In a one on one situation where the puck is moving towards him, he is without a doubt, the last Habs defenseman I would want on the ice. He's as predictable as Zednick's one handed sweep in wide of the net move...First, Sheldon swings his stick at the puck, then he's back on his heels, then he's stopped, and trying to spin at the player as they zoom by. Wee! I'll leave him alone when he improves his defensive play, or turns in another high quality offensive season. Sheesh, Markov was a winger before he was converted to a defenseman and his defensive zone coverage is much better.

IF the Habs were a much deeper defensive team, I would love to have Souray as my third pairing defenseman, with limited ice time, that played the point on the PP. His defensive liabilities are such that I'm nervous giving him 20+ minutes of ice. If he can prove me wrong this season, then that would be great. Heck, Rivet did it with his improved play last year, but his footwork is a lot stronger than Souray's, which is his (Rivet's) greatest asset.

Presumably, all LA or SJ will have to do to get him, is sit and wait for Souray to come and knok on their door next summer,...they know he wants to live and work nearby his daughter,...that's most likely Sheldon's destiny.

But maybe not,.....we absolutely need him all year but for the rest it will be up to him.

Some fans have gotten neurotic over players before,...nothing new there.....they get so wrapped-up in their

obsession that they soom miss-out on the many positives a player might be bringing to the table and to the team,....they miss-out ovbiously on the intangibles and they soon enought miss-out on the very tangible

elements as well....what can you say,.....nothing....so you let them say it themselves.

Here Huzer says he will leave Souray alone if Souray managed to give us another hight quality offensive season as he did during his Allstar year campaign......ovbiously Huzer failled to appreciated Souray's best moments last season as THIS was taking place in front of his own eyes.

Souray outdid his Allstar year from the previous season by 4 points, from 35 to 39,...yes he has risen higher despite the fact that the season took place while his wife separated from him and had his daughter taken away from him......quite remarquable...I think.

PS: I wrote this before I had read HABBY 1197, there is some repetition sorry.....but HABBY 1197 say's it

all.........STOP SHITTING ON SOURAY !!!! voila,....that fell good and...right.

Edited by PB

Okay, that's it.

I can't take it anymore.

FE REAL PEOPLE, SOURAY IS THE SHIZZLE!!!!

Okay, that's it.

I can't take it anymore.

Excuse me, but pointing out some flaws in a player's game, even if he's a Habs, is to be expected on a board like HabsWorld. And its hardly "shitting on Souray" than to point out the technical flaws in his game or his limitations.

What makes HabsWorld great is the relative variety and level-headedism of most discussions. Every player is a fair-game for debate. There's not a player on this team that is untouchable. This isnt a fan club forum, its a Habs forum. I think most are fans of the team first, not the individual players. At least I hope it's that way.

As I pointed out in another thread, you can't and shouldn't ask people to stop criticizing a player because you think differently. If you want people to stop picking on a player, convince them that said player is so damn good he's beyond criticism.

Excuse me, but pointing out some flaws in a player's game, even if he's a Habs, is to be expected on a board like HabsWorld. And its hardly "shitting on Souray" than to point out the technical flaws in his game or his limitations.

What makes HabsWorld great is the relative variety and level-headedism of most discussions. Every player is a fair-game for debate. There's not a player on this team that is untouchable. This isnt a fan club forum, its a Habs forum. I think most are fans of the team first, not the individual players. At least I hope it's that way.

As I pointed out in another thread, you can't and shouldn't ask people to stop criticizing a player because you think differently. If you want people to stop picking on a player, convince them that said player is so damn good he's beyond criticism.

That's a valid point, and quite accurate as well, KoZed. I believe that Habsworld is one of the best forums out there, and more often than not, we strive for objectiveness on top of our obvious love for the Habs. Nevertheless, I believe the "no more shitting on Souray" was directed towards the fact that more often than not, disparaging remarks are made about the aforementioned player. It is understandable that this can grow tiresome, especially since Souray is more than just the sum of his errors... a fact which some Habsworlders seemingly ignore. It can be quire irritating.

I, personally, never denied the validity of the criticisms, but just implored that we look at all of the facts, and not just some poor examples to define the value of Souray. If you're going to list Souray's flaws, be mindful (or even mention) his assets as well.

I believe this was the general idea behind the post.

Either that, or some Habworlders are in LOVE with Shelly :P

That's a valid point, and quite accurate as well, KoZed. I believe that Habsworld is one of the best forums out there, and more often than not, we strive for objectiveness on top of our obvious love for the Habs. Nevertheless, I believe the "no more shitting on Souray" was directed towards the fact that more often than not, disparaging remarks are made about the aforementioned player. It is understandable that this can grow tiresome, especially since Souray is more than just the sum of his errors... a fact which some Habsworlders seemingly ignore. It can be quire irritating.

I, personally, never denied the validity of the criticisms, but just implored that we look at all of the facts, and not just some poor examples to define the value of Souray. If you're going to list Souray's flaws, be mindful (or even mention) his assets as well.

I believe this was the general idea behind the post.

Either that, or some Habworlders are in LOVE with Shelly :P

I understand all that. I felt the same way when I noticed a growing trend that seemed to depict Ribeiro as a worthless scumbag. I know how those trends starts. A lot of users voices their criticism against a certain player, then that number of users becomes enough to create a critical mass where specific criticism toward said player snowballs into toughtless caricature and ridicule. Although I'm not a fan of his, since I thought it was getting way out of hand and far past the point of simple criticism, I started a new thread with the exact purpose of "rehabilitating" the value of Ribeiro, or at least counter-balance the overall negativity surrounding him.

I'm not advising anyone to copy my response, I'm just saying that's how I'd like to see people react. I'm thankful that some like Souray and have a different opinion of him than others. I'd hate if HabsWorld would fall into the mindless groupthink pattern that plague so many other places.

That's why I think telling people to just lay off a certain player can have perverse effects. It might intimidate some users to voice their opinions and lead to self-censorship in fear of being told to lay off X or Y. I also think its adverse to the goal of these forums, which is to actually discuss and debate. It also doesnt really do justice to your point of view if you dont take the time to lay down your arguements and rather simply just say "dont bad-mouth this player!"

What people have to understand is that Souray at 2.432 million per year might be the biggest steal in the NHL. He's not Pronger, but he isn't making 6.25 million either.

In a cap world, we're DAMN lukcy to have Souray, especially at that price.

Also, I think it's fine to tell people to stop "shitting" on Souray, mainly because calling him a 5th or 6th Dman is a joke, he's top 4 on any team in the league.

It also doesnt really do justice to your point of view if you dont take the time to lay down your arguments and rather simply just say "dont bad-mouth this player!"

Very true, KoZed. Although I can't say for certain, I would imagine that the original poster grew frustrated and simply boiled down his thoughts into one statement: "stop shitting on Souray". Was is succinct... yes... Would it stand up in court.. perhaps not... :D

Anyway, I feel we have established, that while Souray may have some downsides, he still has a lot to offer to the team.

Or at least I hope we have...

With respect to the issue at hand, I don't endorse blind ignorance to any facts that may cast a Canadien in a negative light... nor do I respect ignorance of any positive examples when casting a Canadien in a negative light...

he's top 4 on any team in the league.

Thats is for sure! okay there are two or three goals where they undressed and smacked his butt before heading to the net... Thats it! a few brain cramps here and there ( not even Markov had a brain-crampless season )

if the debate is about the value of SS then some of you are underestimating his worth Perhaps its psycological? you guys are scared of liking him that much and preparing yourselves for the shock of seeing him traded...

and yes unless the salary cap goes up another 4 Mil we might be losing him! IMO if he can play 80 games next season Exactly like he did last season with the mindcramps and the undressing etc... He will not play in any team for under 4 M so that being said I agree with many here WE cannot be more happy to have him and yes I would be very sorry if we lose him next season... and thats what I believe this never ending topic of Sheldon is about! FEAR OF LOSE! YOu guys love him and are scared of getting your hearts broken! hey guys its ok to be in love with the guy! dont be ashamed ;)

What people have to understand is that Souray at 2.432 million per year might be the biggest steal in the NHL. He's not Pronger, but he isn't making 6.25 million either.

In a cap world, we're DAMN lukcy to have Souray, especially at that price.

Also, I think it's fine to tell people to stop "shitting" on Souray, mainly because calling him a 5th or 6th Dman is a joke, he's top 4 on any team in the league.

AMEN

Are there any more intresting Dmen that are UFA's next summer?

If not RESIGN HIM AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE!!!

4M$ a year? Sure no problem.

This team wont be better without him and Im not prepared to take a step backwards now. If we go from making the playoffs, then this year advance to the 2nd or 3rd round and then suddenly miss the playoffs because of losing one important Dman Im gonna be very mad.

4M$ a year? Sure no problem.

4Million a year for Souray???? Are you mad? We are not the Leafs, and we do not overpay by almost half for players just because we would like to keep them. Unless Souray has a big year this season, defensively as well as offensively he is not even worth a raise. He has a nice sized contract now and as far as I'm concerned he has to earn that. You are talking about paying him in the same range as Kovalev, crazy talk I say.

I'll add my voice (words) to those supporting Souray. You don't just throw someone away because of a few mistakes, especially given the personal issues he was dealing with. I trust that Habs management understands a certain level of loyalty to players is necessary to expect any back in return. I fully expect Souray to come back and have a very good season. Mistake-free, no; but if that's the standard, there's noboby who can meet it.

BTW - Habby1197's post seems to have received response based on one sentence contained therein, but the rest of his excellent contribution is filled with reasons WHY people should 'stop shitting on Souray', as he so eloquently put it. Criticizing one line out of context ignores the validity of his argument.

BTW - Habby1197's post seems to have received response based on one sentence contained therein, but the rest of his excellent contribution is filled with reasons WHY people should 'stop shitting on Souray', as he so eloquently put it. Criticizing one line out of context ignores the validity of his argument.

Absolutley. Excellent point. People get caught up with the one sentence and seem to miss the rest of what was a very good post. Souray is a very good defender who also looks very bad on some nights. He is kind of a high risk, high reward defender. He'll score you 15 goals and make some nice plays defensively, but as well he is going to get lit up like a Christmas tree some nights.

And as for anyone who thinks that Souray is going to sign long term in Montreal for less than $4 Million a season you better think again. THis is a guy who is well thought of around the league. He's 6-4 230lbs, and one of the best shots in the league, will score 15 goals and 40 points, and shows up every night. Every team in the league would love to have this guy and when/if he hits free agency next summer, he'll command $4.5 to $5 Million per season. Don't think he's worth it? Well it doesn't matter because there are GM's out there who will pay it. Just look at the money that was thrown at Chara $7.7 MIllion, McCabe $5+ Million, Kubina $5 Million, Willie Mitchell $4 Million........make no mistakes...the lockout did nothing. GM's are just as free spending now as they were 2 years ago.

One last point. If Montreal hasn't signed Souray to a long term deal by the trade deadline they should move him and get something in return. HOpefully they learn from the Chara incident and don't let him walk away for free.

Don't think he's worth it? Well it doesn't matter because there are GM's out there who will pay it. Just look at the money that was thrown at Chara $7.7 MIllion, McCabe $5+ Million, Kubina $5 Million, Willie Mitchell $4 Million........make no mistakes...the lockout did nothing. GM's are just as free spending now as they were 2 years ago.

I have no doubts that there is teams out there willing to spend $4+ million on Souray that doesn't mean it's smart or a move Montreal will make. I'm sure some teams would have spent $2.5-$3 million on Ryder as well, that doesn't make it a good move. Montreal is not one of those stupid teams that pay a player a salary because some lesser team in inflating the market by giving McCabe $5+million. Yes there are plenty of overpaid players in the league, but not many of them play for the Habs. BG is very smart and I am willing to bet will not pay Souray that kind of money and will trade him before the deadline, for a comparable Dman at a fraction of the cost.