Sabres Walk Away From Dumont

mathieu30

The Buffalo Sabres have rejected right winger J.P. Dumont's one-year 2.9 million dollar contract. Dumont is now an unrestricted free agent and has the ability to sign with any NHL team.

source: rds.ca

Hmmm, he doesn't solve our center needs but he is a big multi -positional winger. He's from Montreal too. He'd put us over by $800,000. However, Bouillon's injury savings and potential other injury savings mean we could probably squeeze him in...albeit barely.

Hmmm :?-

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Although it would be nice, correction, very nice to have a 40 point man in our line-up I tend to believe Gainey that he is done shopping. By adding Dumont he would fill a spot that is highly coveted by one of our up and comming rookies. Gainey said he was leaving one spot open, however Gainey is also notorious for being a sleeper and then BAM attacking when it is least expected.

I won't hold my breath on Dupont signing but you never know.

IN BOB WE TRUST!!!!

why does it seem lately that anytime someone becomes a UFA ( ie. Dumont , Tanabe , etc ) everyone thinks the Habs should line up and be first in line ( like when its time for recess and everyone bolts for the swings ) same with trade rumors. Its not even training camp yet !!... bob is done for now and I don't think even if he does anything that we'll see it coming. I'm sure Bob wants to see how his young guys like Koty, Chip and Guy will do in camp ... after that he'll adjust the team accordingly and make his moves. So we all just need to sit back enjoy the summer, rest up and relax and be ready to go nuts when training camp opens :king:

this was not meant to snap at anyone ... just something i've noticed lately.

:ghg:

Ditto.... but I dont think Gainey is going to add any more as much as Id like Dumont.

I agree. :)

:king: :hlogo: :king:

why does it seem lately that anytime someone becomes a UFA ( ie. Dumont , Tanabe , etc ) everyone thinks the Habs should line up and be first in line ( like when its time for recess and everyone bolts for the swings ) same with trade rumors. Its not even training camp yet !!... bob is done for now and I don't think even if he does anything that we'll see it coming. I'm sure Bob wants to see how his young guys like Koty, Chip and Guy will do in camp ... after that he'll adjust the team accordingly and make his moves. So we all just need to sit back enjoy the summer, rest up and relax and be ready to go nuts when training camp opens :king:

this was not meant to snap at anyone ... just something i've noticed lately.

:ghg:

I haven't noticed much anticipation for Tanabe. A member made a thread with the idea, but it was pretty much shot down by other members.

I agree, our youth developing is key, but I think that signing Dumont would be great. Ryder will have a big raise after this year I bet, so if we signed Dumont and maybe packaged Ryder in a deal to a team that has a big, physical center then I feel that Dumont could fill Ryder's role. Ryder has scored more goals than Dumont, we all get that stat but Dumont will hit more, and is just a better presence on the ice in my opinion, and also he is not such a one dimensional player.

I am in no way bashing Ryder, he is one of my more favorable Canadiens, but I just believe we can bring in something else to help our team in another department, and that Dumont could fill his role nicely.

Anyways, just my 2 cents...what do other posters think?

GO HABS GO

"Montréal serait au haut de ma liste"

-Jean Pierre Dumont

rds.ca

EXACTLY MATHIEU i just came across that on the RDS site.

Especially now that we all knwo he wants to play here, he might take a small paycut to do so. To play for his hometown and live near his family...I'd give him a shot!!

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev

Perezhogin/Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Dumont

Murray-Johnson-Begin

I just sorta pulled that out of my hat...but do you guys like the idea of 3 scoring lines? If for example Ryder or Higgs aren't performing, we can mix and match lines because most players are comparable and quality calibur.

As much as I like Dumont, he really doesn't address our needs at this point... We're wanting in the Defense and Center depts...

My idea though is packaging Ribeiro and Ryder for a big physical skilled center, then signing Dumont to take Ryder's spot on a line. Seriously, Ryder is a big scorer but he is one dimensional and he is not as much of a presence on the ice in other ways compared to Dumont.