Rds Is Now Talking About Dumont.

C-Love

the rumour is that bonk would be given away for a pick creating cap room for dumont that might be a good move who knows? we'll only know when bob actually does something and it probably won't be what we are expecting:)

the rumour was created by a someone called elephant man...come on!!

why the hell would washington take bonk. what does he bring to the caps ..he can't even play on 4th line in montreal and he would center a line in capsland...puhlease.

as fun as it is to talk about rumours, lets at least be a bit more critical about the person who makes it.

want another stupid one ??

komisarek in long island...just what we need: less D men.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dumont would be an awesome aquisition for absolutely NO COST on our part!

DO IT BG!! Depth is something we can always work out when da season begins.. and a player of Dumont's caliber is not easily given away 4 nada.

If he accepts a cheaper contract to stay with da habs, i say PICK HIM UP!!

I'd easily trade ribs/bonk to make room if i had to.

I also think Dumont is exactly what Carbo is looking for in a player, thus the inquiries this weekend.

so lets pick up dumont and send bonk to the minors no outlay of players or cash

his salary would go against the cap

dumonts would bonks wouldn't

bonk has a oone way contract so unless i'm mistaking, his salary would count.

otherwise, it would to easy for teams like the devils to say to mogilny and malakhov to go play in the minors or else...

you could be right about that Im not sure. btw i never said anything about washington, I just said the rumour was that they were trying to get a pick for him. That would create the cap space.

you could be right about that Im not sure. btw i never said anything about washington, I just said the rumour was that they were trying to get a pick for him. That would create the cap space.

He is right, Bonk's salary goes against the cap wether he plays here or in Hamilton.

He was fine as a fourth line center but no team would ever want him cause of his salary,...

which would be a different matter for Aebisher or Johnson.

He is right, Bonk's salary goes against the cap wether he plays here or in Hamilton.

He was fine as a fourth line center but no team would ever want him cause of his salary,...

which would be a different matter for Aebisher or Johnson.

Why would we trade Johnson?? :wacko:

:hlogo:

umm, but why would the Habs trade Bonk? :P

I'm pretty sure Bob specifically picked up Johnson to play with Bonk, which should highly increase Bonks awefull offensive stats so they wont be like last years. Afterall, Bonk is a good defensive-offensive player, but his linemates he had last year were basically only defensive minded, which made it difficult for Bink to produce offensively.

However, this year if Bonk has Johnson as a linemate, who is also equally skilled at being a defensive-offensive player. Bonk should be able to put up some points playing with Johnson because then Bonk will have a linemate who can think offensively.

Bonk really isnt a weakness to the Habs, and getting rid of Bonk isnt a means to an end either, so why?

What I bet Bob will do is most likely is move 2 players to get that Power Forward type player that he's been after. I highly doubt Bob will move any prospects to achieve this because it would hurt the Habs future. Instead, to make any such deal go through, Bob will probably give away future picks, and keep all the current prospects. The current prospets havent really been given a serious chance in the NHL, so I bet players who have been given a shot who havent lived up to full potential will be moved instead.

Why would we trade Johnson?? :wacko:

:hlogo:

If the talk with Dumont ever lead the CH into signing him,...they would need to move-out a player that fetched a substantial salary in order to get Dumont's salary to fit under the cap.

If the CH is serious about getting a player like Dumont and signing him for a few years than any well paid

players in the present roster which aren't considered for the long term could become potentiel canditates.......Bonk easily fit in there except for the fact that no team would be interested,.....Aebisher was a quick fix for us and could still be of interest for a team out there,.....and althought Johnson was a solid acquisition for our needs for this upcoming season,....he will become, like Aebisher and Bonk an UFA at the

end of it and thus will be entirelly free to go where he wants to play.

It's quite clear that signing Dumont would imply that one well paid player would need to get moved.......the rest is foggy.

If forced having to decide between Dumont and "Boink" (sorry, had to use it), I might chose Dumont. I'd move Johnson to center between Begin & Murray (or Begin between Murray & Johnson, same deal), and put Dumont with Plekanec and Perezhogin/Kostitsyn.

3 offensive lines, 1 energy/checking line.

Rolling three fast lines like Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev, Higgins-Koivu-Ryder and Dumont-Plekanec-rookie speedster could very well offset the loss of Bonk. It'd sure be fun to watch. Sure you lose a big depth center, but you'll win him back once Chipchura is ready.

As far as pure assets' worth, Dumont might me worth more on the market than Bonk, so we'd sign him for free and we could get something in return if we trade him.

As I see it adding Dumont is only possible if Bonk gets traded.

Im not saying that Dumont will take Bonks place as a fourth line center but he would demote someone on the third line to the fourth and taking a winger position.

I like JP Dumont a lot and have over the years said that he would be a perfect fit for the Habs. Now when it could be possible Im not so sure anymore. Not because of Dumont but beacause the Habs are so much better now.

Samsonov - Ribeiro - Kovalev

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Dumont - Plekanec - Johnson

Perezhogin - Begin - Murray

Looks fine by me. But it weakens our Penalty kill but makes our powerplay better. Just put Dumont in front of the net and he will lit the light.

For those who would like to 'exchange' Dumont for Ryder because of Ryder's defensive liabilities, you should check out this page:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?i...amp;hubname=nhl

It shows that, throughout his six-yeaer NHL career, he has a combined +/- of - 39. The only year he was over 0 was when he went +1.

Ryder, in his 1st two years has gone a combined +5 (+10 & - 5). Really, we've got a better deal on our hands.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?i...e=nhl-canadiens

:king: :hlogo: :king:

It shows that, throughout his six-yeaer NHL career, he has a combined +/- of - 39. The only year he was over 0 was when he went +1.

It also says +7 in his rookie season.

Anyways, I don't really care about stats that much but as you said shortcat - I also don't see any advantage for us if we trade Ryder just to make room for a guy like Dumont.

It also says +7 in his rookie season.

Anyways, I don't really care about stats that much but as you said shortcat - I also don't see any advantage for us if we trade Ryder just to make room for a guy like Dumont.

I don't know how I missed that about his rookie season... :(

In any case, the point of my post was to say exactly what you said. There's no point in getting rid of Ryder so as to get Dumont. Ryder's, at worse, an equal value. Bottom line, I bellieve he's a better deal than Dumont. :):)

Yeah, unless we get a really good offer (and a cheap one - a pick or 2) for Ryder than there's no point trading him just to open up space for Dumont. They're about just as good. If we keep them both than Zhog plays on the 4th line which I don't like. But then again, I have a bad feeling about Zhog... it would be best to trade him sooner rather than later I think.

If we get rid of Bonk, who fills his appointed role as shut down checking centreman? Why make ourselves still weaker at C (our weakest position) in order to sign yet another offensive winger? (Samsonov, Kovalev, Ryder, Higgins...not to mention young guys like Perezhogin and Kostitin).

So I wouldn't sign Dumont unless I had an agreement in principle with some other team, such that they would agree to trade us a legitimate first- or second-line centreman, or legitimate #2 defenceman, in exchange for one of our top-six wingers (Ryder or Dumont) plus another player or players (e.g., Souray). No WAY to I go deep into the season with a Dumont or Ryder on the third line - all that will do is drive down their value by lowering their offensive stats, as well as create possible friction within the team among players who legitimately feel that they belong on the scoring lines.

It's a good problem to have. But at times like this, I thank God Gainey is in charge, and not someone who listens to the fans or (even worse) the Montreal hockey media. :hockey:

If we get rid of Bonk, who fills his appointed role as shut down checking centreman? Why make ourselves still weaker at C (our weakest position) in order to sign yet another offensive winger? (Samsonov, Kovalev, Ryder, Higgins...not to mention young guys like Perezhogin and Kostitin).

So I wouldn't sign Dumont unless I had an agreement in principle with some other team, such that they would agree to trade us a legitimate first- or second-line centreman, or legitimate #2 defenceman, in exchange for one of our top-six wingers (Ryder or Dumont) plus another player or players (e.g., Souray). No WAY to I go deep into the season with a Dumont or Ryder on the third line - all that will do is drive down their value by lowering their offensive stats, as well as create possible friction within the team among players who legitimately feel that they belong on the scoring lines.

It's a good problem to have. But at times like this, I thank God Gainey is in charge, and not someone who listens to the fans or (even worse) the Montreal hockey media. :hockey:

Amen, TCC, amen...

I trust him and his wisdom. I expect that he'll make errors like the rest of us to but he knows a heck of a lot more about the game and all the intricacies involved in developing a successful team - an awful lot more than we do.

So, Go Bob Go!

I don't know how I missed that about his rookie season... :(

In any case, the point of my post was to say exactly what you said. There's no point in getting rid of Ryder so as to get Dumont. Ryder's, at worse, an equal value. Bottom line, I bellieve he's a better deal than Dumont. :):)

On one hand Ryder is very important in our roster,...on the other, he has exceptional trading value.

MTL might be loosing 2 of it's 3 UFA defensement (Markov, Souray, Rivet) at the end of the upcoming season,....

MTL might be force to replace them with a quality yet innexpensive young defenseman.

Ryder could now be used in a trade if Dumont was to replace him on the second line.

In this situation, the lost of Ryder will have MTL gained 2 players.....Dumont and a quality innexpensive defenseman.

Getting Dumont in could lead to this trade, but the Ryder trade wouldn't need be done before next summer

if MTL can liberate the cash needed to pay Dumont in the mean time (Bonk, Aebisher, etc).

As can be read in cyberpresse.ca today.......Dumont has just refused BUF's new proposition and MTL is his destination of choice,...there is many teams interested but he hopes MTL will find a solution to it's cap to

accomodate him. MTL will be talking to his agent again today.........well it is an unusual situation and BG

seems to be more than just interested by it.............but time will tell.

I havn't been overly succesful at predicting Gaineys moves (except for the Carbonneau thing, which I nailed), but I'm betting if Gainey is talking with Dumont, it means he has a possible trade worked out for Abiesher...remember, you heard it here first..ha ha.

I could see moving ryder to get dumont but we would need a lot in return, (1st rd draft picks) Ryder is a good player but he is not the fastest guy around, and I wonder how he will do in the next couple of years as the Habs turn into a much faster and skilled team. his trade value may never be higher than it is now. Dumont can match him for points and is a tougher checker/player with very good speed. it should be an upgrade but i would much rather dump bonk if we could.

On one hand Ryder is very important in our roster,...on the other, he has exceptional trading value.

MTL might be loosing 2 of it's 3 UFA defensement (Markov, Souray, Rivet) at the end of the upcoming season,....

MTL might be force to replace them with a quality yet innexpensive young defenseman.

Ryder could now be used in a trade if Dumont was to replace him on the second line.

In this situation, the lost of Ryder will have MTL gained 2 players.....Dumont and a quality innexpensive defenseman.

Getting Dumont in could lead to this trade, but the Ryder trade wouldn't need be done before next summer

if MTL can liberate the cash needed to pay Dumont in the mean time (Bonk, Aebisher, etc).

As can be read in cyberpresse.ca today.......Dumont has just refused BUF's new proposition and MTL is his destination of choice,...there is many teams interested but he hopes MTL will find a solution to it's cap to

accomodate him. MTL will be talking to his agent again today.........well it is an unusual situation and BG

seems to be more than just interested by it.............but time will tell.

I still say it'll be sign Dumont and some trade with Ryder + Ribs to get a better and tougher C than Ribs. Habs wont loose much if anything at all with Dumont replacing Ryder, and will gain large by replacing Ribs with a better larger C.

Ryder must go, for several reasons. It's unfortunate, but it should be done. Ryder tries to go to arbitration every year and eventually his wish will come true. Similar to Dumont with Buff this year, Ryder will eventually be awarded more $ than the Habs can afford, or would be willing to pay, making him a FreeBird to fly off to Laff land. :blink: It's definitely a smarter move to trade Ryder right now, when his stock is up after 2 good seasons. If he has a bad season, then waiting to trade him at the trade deadline wont get as good of return as Bob could get right now. The key point is that Ryder is highly unlikely to be a habs after this season, so might as well get something for him, now, when the getting is still good.

The whole point to signing Dumont is to get a really good deal on a decent player. With the Cap, teams need to take advantage of their own fans. If the Habs can get 4 French players like Dumont, they could theoretically save 4 million a season, and could end up signing 1 more high calibre player. :king:

Basically think about Broduer in NJ. Broduer signed for 5.X mil, but could have got almost 8, and everybody knows it. However, the Devils would not be able to be as competitive if Broduer had got close to 8. Broduer taking only 5.x mil, the Devils now has an extra bonus of 3 mil/yr to get a fairly decent sniper to go with Broduer.

Where's the Habs Broduer's? Dumont is one. :D