Rds Is Now Talking About Dumont.

C-Love

I really dont see the problem with having 3 equal scoring lines and an effective shutdown line. Buffalo did it and look where it got them.

Ryder-Koivu-Higgins

Samsonov-Ribeiro(Hopefully we can get somebody better, hell, even Grabovsky might be good)-Kovalev

Dumont-Plekanec-Johnson

Begin-Bonk-Murray/Downey

(Kostitsyn and Perezhogin)

:hlogo:

you can't have your two best forward prospects sitting on the bench or up in the press box watching ... they need to be playing and there's not much more they can learn in Hamilton .. especially Perez ... Kotsy might be sent down but it won't be for long.

it would be nice to have Dumont but there's just not room for him unless you want to dump a forward.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see something like that as well, but you will find that many people on this forum want to see Kostitsyn and Perezhogin with regular spots in the lineup, to develope them more. I would like to see that as well, but the addition of Dumont would still make me very happy, i have seen him play lots, love the way he uses his body and he is underrated in that aspect of the game.

I could see possibly Perezhogin being the odd player out in a trade, but who else gets thrown in the trade to free up the money? My friend is a fan and he said, "based on Kostitsyn and the prospect depth, maybe a rookie might be left out in the cold for a move or a demotion". He also mentioned how between Pleks, Perez and Higgins, who is the least valuble out of the 3?

Mind you, that was his opinion. But it got me to thinking, who knows?

Personally, I don't see Perezhogin being the moved player to accomodate Dumont. The money is wrong. But, Perezhogin might have some serious competiton this year in camp.

It'll be nice when the puck is dropped and all of these silly threads die.

PS. I know I started it but it was rds news so it was on the map for discusion. Not a rumour but a news link. Summer is boring for hockey :lol:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Like I said earlier and I continue to maintain, the closest that Dumont will come to wearing a Canadiens jersey in the next couple of years is if he goes out and buys one or gets one as a present (or is forced to put one on at gun-point).

:king: :hlogo: :king:

No clue why most people here are dead against the idea right from the get go. :blink:

Personally, I'd say any Frenchman with decent skills and decent size that wants to play for the Habs for less money than elsewhere, should be highly considered. :D

Sure, Dumont isnt the bigest guy, and he isnt the best, but he also isnt the most expensive either. It's been a while since the Habs have had a lot of decent French forwards, and I definitely think that should be changed.

Seems to me that all you people are only looking at this in the immediate future perspective, and definitely not in the long term. The cons of signing Dumont are definitely not long term problems, only short term. Sure, not exactly enough roster spots right now, but like that cant change in a hurry, especially when you have a good reason to consider moving people that had no reason to be moved previously.

The truth is that the Habs could sign Dumont for a long term contract, thats cheap, all because Dumont wants to be a habs. What other players with his calibre of skill and low price could the Habs lock into a prolonged 5 year contract? BG could probably sign him right now for 5 yrs, 10 million (2/yr). Not to mention, the Habs dont need to give up anything to aquire him. definitely sounds like a smart idea to me. :D

Ryder is as good as gone eh, best to get that into your heads now, so it'll hurt less when it actually happens. BG would be smart to trade Ryder, just so that Habs can actually end up with something for him, because if BG doesnt, the Habs will get nothign for him, and Ryder will just be gone. :(

No clue why most people here are dead against the idea right from the get go. :blink:

Personally, I'd say any Frenchman with decent skills and decent size that wants to play for the Habs for less money than elsewhere, should be highly considered. :D

Sure, Dumont isnt the bigest guy, and he isnt the best, but he also isnt the most expensive either. It's been a while since the Habs have had a lot of decent French forwards, and I definitely think that should be changed.

I fail to understand the reasoning that we need to bring in French players. There are no good reasons as to why this is important.

The team's attendance is very strong without Francophone stars, there are also probably more Habs fans that aren't french at all when you look across the country(and world). Sooo...what does being French have to do with anything other then appease the local media who might have someone to speak to in their own language. Woopdedoo.

I fail to understand the reasoning that we need to bring in French players. There are no good reasons as to why this is important.

There is one good reason and its the immediate public.

The team's attendance is very strong without Francophone stars, there are also probably more Habs fans that aren't french at all when you look across the country(and world). Sooo...what does being French have to do with anything other then appease the local media who might have someone to speak to in their own language. Woopdedoo.

Fans across the country and the World are not the team's immeditate market. They're not the businesses you try to get to buy luxury and corporates boxes for the entire season, they're not the guys you try to get to buy season tickets, they're not the casual fan you try to get interested enough in the team so on a cold January tuesday he'll decide to drive down to the Bell Center and catch a game.

You gotta appeal to your direct market and give them something with which they can connect. And in the Habs' case, that means competing against movies, TV shows, plays, music shows and such that are widely when not exclusively made in French by french Quebecois for french Quebecois, and that's something that usually matters to french Quebecois.

Identification is an undeniable and unavoidable business truth in francophone Quebec, outlined in details in Les 36 cordes sensibles des Québécois since 1978.

Weither one likes it or not is irrelevant. Its juste the way things are. Accept it or start a petition for the return of the Maroons.

so I guess it's not important for toronto to have ontarion born player or the oilers to have a guy like pisani.

cbc does the same thing saying how that player is a good canadian born player or the other one is a great saskatchewan born player...they never say that that or that guy is a great american or even a great quebecois for that matter. so they too use the local flavour.

people need to identify to local heroes no matter where they're from and , yes most of the quebecers are french so live with it.

Why bother having a local hero when you can have a local scapegoat (Ribeiro) ;)

or turgeon, theodore( although I think he deserves alot of that) ,brisebois,desjardins damphousse, rivet, souray ryder, richer, roy...and we still think that we're the best fans in the league.

ribeiro would be ok in montreal if he showed a little passion and wanted to sacrifice his body for the good of the team

ribeiro would be ok in montreal if he showed a little passion and wanted to sacrifice his body for the good of the team

You obviously dont know Ribeiro. I do. I played vs him a couple of times when he used to come in the region of Joliette and the guy is not a hitter! But dont think he is afraid of going in the corners, its just not true. People expect too much from Ribeiro...he is not LeCavalier! He is not going to change into a power forward just because you would like it. Ribeiro is a playmaker and he does his job quite well, his stats prove it.

I think people dislike Ribeiro only because he 'faked' an injury a couple years ago in the playoffs. Ive only seen Mike once since then and I didnt speak to him about that, but I am sure he knows he did a mistake. People should give the guy a break and start appreciatin what he brings to the team.

There is one good reason and its the immediate public.

Fans across the country and the World are not the team's immeditate market. They're not the businesses you try to get to buy luxury and corporates boxes for the entire season, they're not the guys you try to get to buy season tickets, they're not the casual fan you try to get interested enough in the team so on a cold January tuesday he'll decide to drive down to the Bell Center and catch a game.

You gotta appeal to your direct market and give them something with which they can connect. And in the Habs' case, that means competing against movies, TV shows, plays, music shows and such that are widely when not exclusively made in French by french Quebecois for french Quebecois, and that's something that usually matters to french Quebecois.

Identification is an undeniable and unavoidable business truth in francophone Quebec, outlined in details in Les 36 cordes sensibles des Québécois since 1978.

Weither one likes it or not is irrelevant. Its juste the way things are. Accept it or start a petition for the return of the Maroons.

Of the handful of Quebec players on the Habs, none are the kind that lots of people buy tickets to see (Begin would be the closest). Our best players in that category are Russian and Finnish. Yet the Habs sold out every game last year. Why is that?

so I guess it's not important for toronto to have ontarion born player or the oilers to have a guy like pisani.

Correct!

cbc does the same thing saying how that player is a good canadian born player or the other one is a great saskatchewan born player...they never say that that or that guy is a great american or even a great quebecois for that matter. so they too use the local flavour.

people need to identify to local heroes no matter where they're from and , yes most of the quebecers are french so live with it.

Believe it if you want. Just because the cbc mentions it, doesn't mean its causing tickets to be sold. You know what people want to buy tickets to see? A winning team.

Of the handful of Quebec players on the Habs, none are the kind that lots of people buy tickets to see (Begin would be the closest). Our best players in that category are Russian and Finnish. Yet the Habs sold out every game last year. Why is that?

Its not so much the quality of the Quebec players (no need for heroes) than just having enough on the team to identify with it. Besides, the staff counts as well.

Heck, 2 years ago when the Habs got eliminated most Quebec fans started cheering for TB just because of Lecavalier, St-Louis & Richards (who is an "adopted" Quebecois because of his years in Rimouski and his learning French).

Like I said, people need to identify with the team. A "handful" of Quebec players could be enough. Dont necessarily have to be all superstars, although that would be even better. As long as they're honest players. That's why no one cried when Dagenais dissapeared. :P

Dumont being French is the least of the positives regarding such an aquisition. The fact that he wants to be a habs, and would do so for cheap are the primary factors. Again, not to mention it would cost the Habs nothing to pick him up. Being French is just the icing on the cake. :D

Dont forget that the Habs fans in Quebec need to be able to relate to the team. Surely people dont think that the average Quebecor would relate more with Kovalev of Koivu than they would with players actually born and raised in Quebec. :P

Winning definitely does increase the amount of people in the stands. However, having more local players would increase the habs fan base more because it would increase the amount of local kids who would grow emulating their French idols at the local rinks. Kovalev and Koivu would only inspire kids as long as they are Habs, where as French players will always be French players. When 1 leaves the Habs, the kids would simply idol a different French habs player.

RDS is now saying that BG contacted Dumont`s agent over the weekend. No offers were made, but Dumont`s agent confirmed that the discussion was very positive.

Hmmmm !!! It has already been well debated here whether Dumont would be a good addition or not and the cap room problems of signing him. Personally, I think Dumont would be a very good signing if Gainey can somehow fit him in. Three lines that show offensive threat could definitely work in today`s NHL.

Gainey is enquiring and Dumont said he would love to play here, I`m starting to think there might be a real good possibility of seeing Dumont in a Habs uni. Can`t say I believed that just last week.

Gainey is enquiring and Dumont said he would love to play here, I`m starting to think there might be a real good possibility of seeing Dumont in a Habs uni. Can`t say I believed that just last week.

he would bring size, a nose for the net and he would be proud to wear a habs jersey.

however, he would need thick skin because he's a streaky scorer and will be critisised when he would be in a slump.

RDS is now saying that BG contacted Dumont`s agent over the weekend. No offers were made, but Dumont`s agent confirmed that the discussion was very positive.

Hmmmm !!! It has already been well debated here whether Dumont would be a good addition or not and the cap room problems of signing him. Personally, I think Dumont would be a very good signing if Gainey can somehow fit him in. Three lines that show offensive threat could definitely work in today`s NHL.

Here's RDS.CA's web page on the that discussion.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/210653.html

It essentially says the same as you just did.

Stoking the flames here...

When it comes to creating a roster spot for Dumont.....

would anyone be against trading Perezhogin for a defense prospect?

As long as the prospect has great promise. Perezhogin is one of those youngsters I would hate to see go and then develop into a "Marian Hossa-type" player. Then again, I put Kostitsyn in the same category, so if it means trading for a very good defense prospect, I think it could be smart.

This would indeed make room for Dumont but would not fix the cap space problem. :huh:

Here`s the radio canada link:

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/hockey/2...01-dumont.shtml

It essentially says that a total of 8 teams have contacted Dumont`s agent, one team has made a serious offer, the Habs are to talk again to Dumont`s agent Tuesday night, and that Dumont will take a decision within a week and a half.

I guess it will come down to how much Dumont wants to play in Montreal and how much of a pay cut he`s willing to take. I would be surprised if BG offered him more than $2.2 million a year (assuming he finds the cap room of course). Given that and today`s greed mentality, it might be wishful thinking to see Dumont sign with the Habs.

would anyone be against trading Perezhogin for a defense prospect?

it as to be a helluva D man because perezhogin will be a great player

As long as the prospect has great promise. Perezhogin is one of those youngsters I would hate to see go and then develop into a "Marian Hossa-type" player. Then again, I put Kostitsyn in the same category, so if it means trading for a very good defense prospect, I think it could be smart.

This would indeed make room for Dumont but would not fix the cap space problem. :huh:

Here`s the radio canada link:

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/hockey/2...01-dumont.shtml

It essentially says that a total of 8 teams have contacted Dumont`s agent, one team has made a serious offer, the Habs are to talk again to Dumont`s agent Tuesday night, and that Dumont will take a decision within a week and a half.

I guess it will come down to how much Dumont wants to play in Montreal and how much of a pay cut he`s willing to take. I would be surprised if BG offered him more than $2.2 million a year (assuming he finds the cap room of course). Given that and today`s greed mentality, it might be wishful thinking to see Dumont sign with the Habs.

Agreed, Chucko, agreed.

Edited by shortcat1

Not 100% sure Dumont is the answer... maybe... who knows, as long as he plays more than 60 games and gets to the playoffs unhurt and shows off what a true BlewBlanc&ROuge die hard fan can do (if he truly is one) I would have thought of a couple more names before dumont... all be it...its an oportunity!

But the question is will a rookie suffer for this? I mean one more year for Kosty or Perez... will it be that negative? I dont think Chips should be sent up yet... besides what stops Us from trading away 10 players during the season anyways! so the question is THat I will put in another topic! WHO IS READY AND WHO WILL WE LOSE BY NOT GRADUATING THEM UP TO THE BIG LEAGUE

No, I highly doubt a rookie will suffer from this. Personally I beleive rookies will benifit from the Habs getting Dumont. How? Somebody needs to be traded. Who? Not 1 of the prospects, but somebody else, which will create room that wasnt there before for 1 of the prospects to get a chance. Bobs not stupid, he wont trade away the Habs future to pick up 1 French player.

Personally, I still think Ribs is gone. I really dont think BG gave him such a large pay increase because he intends to pay it to him. :lol:

the rumour is that bonk would be given away for a pick creating cap room for dumont that might be a good move who knows? we'll only know when bob actually does something and it probably won't be what we are expecting:)