Eric Desjardins

Drivefor25

As TSN.CA is reporting on their website former habs Eric Desjardins is Hanging up his skates.

Link: http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=173712&hubname=

Desjardins to call it a career...

" PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Flyers defenceman Eric Desjardins, the second-highest scoring defenceman in team history, will retire this week, a team spokesman said Wednesday.

Flyers spokesman Zack Hill said the 37-year-old Desjardins, a native of Rouyn, Que., was going to make an official announcement Thursday.

A two-time all-star, Desjardins' 17-year career was slowed by injuries in recent seasons. He played only 45 games last season and just 48 two years ago and was not offered a contract by the Flyers this summer.

Desjardins, a seven-time winner of the team's most outstanding defenceman award, had surgery last season to repair a partially dislocated right shoulder and missed 29 games. He missed the 2004 playoffs with a broken arm.

Desjardins spent the last 11 seasons with the Flyers after he was acquired from Montreal in a 1995 deal that also brought John LeClair to Philadelphia. Desjardins had 396 points with the Flyers behind only defenceman Mark Howe's 480.

Desjardins finishes his career with 136 goals, 439 assists and 575 points in 1,143 career games. He was eighth in career games played with the Flyers with 738. He won the Stanley Cup with Montreal in 1993. "

I just want to say that it was great having Desjardins on our team for those years and having him be the hero in a few of those games during that cinderella stanley cup run in '93'. On behalf of all habs fans we wish Eric all the best.

:hlogo: IN BOB WE TRUST :hlogo:

although he played in montreal for a while, I think that thread should be under NHL.:P

I thank Desjardins for the great memories and for the stanley cup he helped us win the stanley cup on the day my grandma died.

thanx eric, enjoy your fishing !!

although he played in montreal for a while, I think that thread should be under NHL.:P

I thank Desjardins for the great memories and for the stanley cup he helped us win the stanley cup on the day my grandma died.

thanx eric, enjoy your fishing !!

My apologies if i posted the thread in the wrong spot, I just figured it was relevant to go under the habs section simply because he was a HABITANT.

You know once a habs always a habs

You know once a habs always a habs

Umm....That would make Tucker a habs?

Must beg to differ on that one.

Once a habs, once a habs.

Oops should have read the whole thread 1st, but good to see I am not the only one feeling that way.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

eric was a great player and only a bone head traded him away it was the dismantling and destruction of the habs at that time we are only now starting to recover good luck eric

Umm....That would make Tucker a habs?

Must beg to differ on that one.

Once a habs, once a habs.

Oops should have read the whole thread 1st, but good to see I am not the only one feeling that way.

I guess you can say that there are exceptions to every rule. Tucker is excluded from that statement

Tucker is a cheap-shot artist and a whiner....I'm glad he was only in Montreal briefly.

Something he didn't become until he got to Toronto. With Montreal he was a Steve Begin type. He was one of the few guys they had those days who energized the fans with his hits and fighting.

Good for Desjardins.

He was a gift to Philadelphia. I never understood why they traded him away. I suppose it was because of the estimated value of Recchi compared to what Montreal sent to the Flyers.

The Flyers won that trade in a huge way.

Oh well................................................... sigh......... :(

:king: :hlogo: :king:

WTF............ I just read that Desjardins played 11 seasons in Philadelphia. ELEVEN !!!!! It's impossible!! It was like... YESTERDAY when he was traded and cried in front of the camera on his way out of Montreal. All those years!! What have I done?! 11 years, near the half of my life :o

Wow, he played longer in Philly than he did in Montreal. Like other great D-men the Habs had in the last 25 years (such as Chelios and Robinson), he was traded away.

Impessive career, only played 7 games in the AHL at the end of his final year in juniors before making the jump to a Cup winning club.

I hope that our newly drafted mathieu carle can become the same kind of player..they're both offensive D MEN and are about the same size as well and they both shoot right

even for tucker :?- :P

is he hall of fame material ??

I'd have to say yes he definitely is Hall of Fame material. Desjardins 93 record still stands, and it most likely will for a long time to come, even in the new "high scoring" NHL.

I was bummed when the Habs traded him away. However, in the Habs defense, it was pretty much inevitable that they would loose him eventually, just like most of their top players in the past, they eventually become worth more $ than they can be paid by the Habs. Although I didnt think Desjardins' time was up when they did trade him. :rolleyes:

After the Desjardins and the LeClaire trade, I think the Habs managment put the Flyers # on call block. :lol: Too bad it was a lil too late though.

Regarding Tucker: He should go back to Junior, and take runs at people his own size. :P

Bon retirement Eric!

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

Regarding Tucker: He should go back to Junior, and take runs at people his own size. :P

so I guess samsonov should go back to grade school and do the same :lol:

New poster here. Hi everyone. I just want to salute a great habs's player in the name of Éric Desjardins. Thanks for your playing in the 1993 Stanley Cup Championship.

welcome aboard habsolute..love the name