O' Byrne Signed For 2 Years

Hey, I'm happy we got him, but if I were him I would have finished my degree. 1 year away from getting it done, in his back-pocket, for good. Going back to school after a long NHL career will either not happen, or royally suck.

But yeah, we got another good D!

Hey, I'm happy we got him, but if I were him I would have finished my degree. 1 year away from getting it done, in his back-pocket, for good. Going back to school after a long NHL career will either not happen, or royally suck.

He can easily finish classes during summer semesters in the offseason. If guys like Vince Carter and Shaq can do it, so can Ryan.

Lookout AHL; The dogs are going to be solid, physical and mobile. Brilliant, simply fantastic!

I must say that I would have chosen to finish my schooling too. However, a business degree can easily be completed in the off season. And this years class in Hamilton will be mostly new faces, this give Byrne a golden opportunity to make a name and show off his stuff, on a regular basis.

I'm also open to the option of seeing him in Montreal in a Habs jersey for a few games. He will turn heads and take a few heads by the sounds of things.

Lookout NHL; Here comes 'Ryan, Knock Out "Thumper" Oh!' Byrne!'

Lookout AHL; The dogs are going to be solid, physical and mobile. Brilliant, simply fantastic!

I must say that I would have chosen to finish my schooling too. However, a business degree can easily be completed in the off season. And this years class in Hamilton will be mostly new faces, this give Byrne a golden opportunity to make a name and show off his stuff, on a regular basis.

I'm also open to the option of seeing him in Montreal in a Habs jersey for a few games. He will turn heads and take a few heads by the sounds of things.

Lookout NHL; Here comes 'Ryan, Knock Out "Thumper" Oh!' Byrne!'

With his size he'd better hit. Can he fight though? Any news is welcomed!!!

Yes, physically he's ready. But he remains a prospect until he can show the organization and eventually us fans that he's ready. Remember that O'Bryne didn't really produce much offensively in college, even in his 3rd season. Komisarek went from 16 points in 41 games as a freshman, to 30 in 39 games as a sophomore. O'Bryne had 13 points in 28 games as a junior, and a mere 12 points during the previous two seasons combined. So, I'm saying I'm not expecting much from him offensively as a pro player. If he can develop into a solid 4-6 defenceman, who can play well defensively while making good passes on transition plays, then I'll be happy.

Hockeysfuture.com has him rated at a 6.5B which means that he has the potential of possibly being a 3-4 pair defenseman. The worst possible outlook for him is as a 5-6 defenseman.

Not top level stuff but, if he's another Craig Rivet kind of defenseman, that's nothing to sneeze at.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I just can't wait for him to knock the crap out of someone with a body check then have the announcer say " that guy just got O BURNNNNED ! " :lol:

NICE!!!!

Hockeysfuture.com has him rated at a 6.5B which means that he has the potential of possibly being a 3-4 pair defenseman. The worst possible outlook for him is as a 5-6 defenseman.

HF's ratings really mean diddly squat. They're made by people like us, not professionnals.

Besides, being a "3-4 pair at best or 5-6 at worse" is kinda broad. Basically its anything but top pair. That's basically 80% of d-men in the league!

I dont know if Rivet's a good comparison. I hope O'Byrne doesn't follow the same path. Rivet was a mean physical D when he broke in, then because of injuries he got tame and spent years trying to find a new style and was a nightmare to watch until he slowly came around.

I hope O'Byrne's going to be another Tower of Power like Komisarek, with perhaps just a little less intimidation factor because of the weight difference. When O'Byrne, Komisarek and Emelin will have mature a little more, we'll be looking at one mean trio of d-men.

Not top level stuff but, if he's another Craig Rivet kind of defenseman, that's nothing to sneeze at.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

hope he's an early version of Rivet before he injured his wrist in a fight. he was meaner.

I guess the timing is good since we don't know what will happen to rivet.

O'Byrne reminds me a lot of Komisarek, but bigger. However, I don't think it will take O'Byrne as long as it took Komi to get his first NHL goal. He's got a very strong shot from what I saw during the prospect camp, and I'm sure he'll keep working on it.

However, his game really is to be strong and smart defensively. From what I saw at the camp, he does play quite physical, and will likely be a force to reckon with when he breaks out.

O'Byrne reminds me a lot of Komisarek, but bigger. However, I don't think it will take O'Byrne as long as it took Komi to get his first NHL goal. He's got a very strong shot from what I saw during the prospect camp, and I'm sure he'll keep working on it.

However, his game really is to be strong and smart defensively. From what I saw at the camp, he does play quite physical, and will likely be a force to reckon with when he breaks out.

how did he looked compare to his peers ??

umm, well O'Byrne is not really much bigger than Komi ... O'Byrne is 6'5" 236 and Komi is 6'4" 240 ... so not much dfference there ... however I hear ( and like you said ) O'Byrne is a more fluid skater than Komi and has better overall offensive abilities than Komi ... better shot ( not harder ) better heads up player and can make out let passes better. with how Komi has developed if O'Byrne can follow that or do better than we're in a for a treat ... especially with those two patroling the blueline :king:

Edited by CaliHabsFan

umm, well O'Byrne is not really much bigger than Komi ... O'Byrne is 6'5" 236 and Komi is 6'4" 240 ... so not much dfference there ... however I hear ( and like you said ) O'Byrne is a more fluid skater than Komi and has better overall offensive abilities than Komi ... better shot ( not harder ) better heads up player and can make out let passes better. with how Komi has developed if O'Byrne can follow that or do better than we're in a for a treat ... especially with those two patroling the blueline :king:

Komi is 6'4, lol, damn! I though he was 6'3 for some reason, I was probably thinking of someone else though.

That's right Macaskill. He is bigger than Komisarek :P

lol, what? :unsure: