Pluto Not A Planet Anymore

MAK

No F'n WAY!!!! What is it supposed to be then... just a big thing that orbits around the sun??

:hlogo:

I think they call It a midget planet but does not enter the criterias to be a legit planet

It's just a cold, desolate hunk of rock in the middle of nowhere.

Say, is Newfoundland still a province...?

:P

not according to scientist :lol:

Apparently, astronomers got really bored and, for some reason, developed an unqualified level of self-importance.

Pluto not a planet, come on! It orbits the sun! Just because it does it in an oval instead of a circle shouldn't be reason for a demotion.

Actually, what disqualified Pluto was the definition that a planet most orbit around the sun on its own path. Pluto's path intersects with Neptune, which removed it's status as a planet.

Is Neptune also demoted?? NO! Why because we all know scientists are racist towards plutonians..... :angry2:

I say Neptune intersected Pluto's orbit first!

Actually, no planet orbits in a circle. Planets follow an elliptical orbit.

True. But it does a weirder orbit than the other planets.

Much-maligned Pluto doesn't make the grade under the new rules for a planet: "a celestial body that is in orbit around the sun, has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a ... nearly round shape, and has cleared the neighborhood around its orbit."

Pluto is automatically disqualified because its oblong orbit overlaps with Neptune's

That's what I was basing my post on.

Here is an english version of the article for all those who can't read French.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2006/08...to-planets.html

Apparently, astronomers got really bored and, for some reason, developed an unqualified level of self-importance.

Pluto not a planet, come on! It orbits the sun! Just because it does it in an oval instead of a circle shouldn't be reason for a demotion.

I think the real issue here is that Scientists have found more celestial bodies that "could" be considered planets under the old definition. Also, there are many objects that orbit the sun, like comets, and so they developed a new nomenclature and definition for bodies that orbit the sun.

@ Pierre the Great: They have sent space crafts to comets before. Just because an object is no longer considered a classic planet doesn't mean that it is not of interest to scientists.

I found that it was really interesting that we are learning more and more about our solar system, and the real estate within. Go s :hlogo: ientists! :D

Is Neptune also demoted?? NO! Why because we all know scientists are racist towards plutonians..... :angry2:

I say Neptune intersected Pluto's orbit first!

neptune is so big it must be bullying pluto for lunch money and now pluto as to leave ??

it's only a popularity contest