Pluto Not A Planet Anymore

MAK

Pluto is a small land away from the sun and it's made from ice.

I see a prospect for a future hockey team...maybe the penguins could move there

The only bad part about this is that they held the vote to declassify after the majority of voting astronomers left the convention.

This means Plutonians are now massing their Space Forces and it is reported from the Hubble telescope that they picked up some real cold blue guy opn Pluto's surface giving mother earth the middle finger. Not sure if this is good or not as Plutonians only have one finger do they not?

In the Plutonian Times there are pictures of mobs of Plutonians enlisting themselves in a new Space Weapon program. It basically captures passing meteors and converts them into hollowed out troop carriers. Man are we in trouble....... :o

• 3 weeks later...

Our newest planet is called Eris.

They are going to have to really start rewriting textbooks.

Link

Xena is out; new planet is called Eris

OTTAWA -- A dwarf planet nicknamed Xena had its image cleaned up Thursday by the world's astronomers, who officially named the distant frozen rock after a proper goddess and kicked Xena out of the solar system.

Eris is the official new name for the planet discovered in 2003.

Eris was the Greek goddess of discord and strife who was not invited to a wedding party and got her revenge by causing trouble (the Trojan war), a little like the 13th fairy in Sleeping Beauty.

The dwarf planet was identified by Mike Brown of the California Institute of Technology in 2003, and has been known officially as 2003 UB313. But Brown and other astronomy buffs took delight in calling it Xena, of TV warrior princess fame.

The California astronomer provisionally named another distant rock he discovered Easterbunny. (Names of minor planets and asteroids have to be a single word.)

But everyone knew the heiroglyphics were on the wall for Xena. Convention says real mythology has to be the source of planetary names.

No lusty, bare-midriff, butt-kicking TV babes are wanted at the International Astronomy Union, the body that chooses official names.

Brown himself is the one who came up with Eris, according to the astronomy union, which already shook up the public only last month by declaring that Pluto was too puny to keep its status as a full planet.

"It's not unheard of for fictional characters to be honoured with asteroid names. For instance, there's one called Bambi," said Peter Jedicke, outgoing president of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada.

"I think in this particular case, Xena being just kind of a kitschy TV character, I think people sort of thought: Naaah, that's not the way we want to do this."

The astronomy bosses may have thought "that Mike Brown was trying to thumb his nose at the astronomy community by suggesting that name. That's the rumour I heard," he added.

Eris is distinct from Eros, the love god, which might have been more fun but is already in use for an asteroid.

Eris's moon will be called Dysnomia, the daughter of Eris, a spirit of lawlessness.

So Eris takes Pluto's spot as 9th closest from the sun? Or does it fall between 2 other planets.

I'm kind of confused about the whole thing. It looks like Pluto was downgraded to Dwarf Planet and Eris becomes a Dwarf Planet as well. So we have 10 planets? I need a drink (Of coffee)

I think they call It a midget planet but does not enter the criterias to be a legit planet

Does that mean that miget is not legit... or is that midget is not ledgit? :?- :?- :?-

Ah.......... it all sounds like it's happening out beyond your anus anyways. :wacko:

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Does that mean that miget is not legit... or is that midget is not ledgit? :?- :?- :?-

Ah.......... it all sounds like it's happening out beyond your anus anyways. :wacko:

:king: :hlogo: :king:

shhhh.. Uranus is the seventh planet from the Sun and the third largest and has a bigger military force than Pluto.

Don't want to get them ticked off at us by insulting Uranusians! :P

Yeah...I'm still pissed they demoted Pluto.

Someone get me a laser!

Don't worry, these High Brows attack with words. A well balanced slingshot and your world is secure. :D

Hard to believe these High Brows almost demoted Neptune. Pretty soon earth will be classified as a toxic dump instead of a planet.

Blog Link

Pluto demoted

Well the verdict is in, and Pluto is out. In a vote last Tuesday, the International Astronomical Union voted on a new definition of "planet" that would exclude Pluto and other icy objects in the outer parts of the solar system. Ironically, the new definition stipulates that a planet has "cleared the neighborhood around its orbit," which would exclude the gas giant Neptune as well (Pluto's orbit overlaps the orbit of Neptune). However, Neptune was officially reinstated as a planet by special footnote. Pluto (and other newly discovered bodies, such as Xena and Sedna) is now a "dwarf planet."

Unlike textbooks, ExploreLearning was able to respond to the change quickly by adding a few notes to our Solar System Explorer Gizmo. We left Pluto in because it has such an interesting orbit, but made sure we referred to it as a "dwarf".

Don't worry, these High Brows attack with words. A well balanced slingshot and your world is secure. :D

Hard to believe these High Brows almost demoted Neptune. Pretty soon earth will be classified as a toxic dump instead of a planet.

Blog Link

Pluto demoted

Well the verdict is in, and Pluto is out. In a vote last Tuesday, the International Astronomical Union voted on a new definition of "planet" that would exclude Pluto and other icy objects in the outer parts of the solar system. Ironically, the new definition stipulates that a planet has "cleared the neighborhood around its orbit," which would exclude the gas giant Neptune as well (Pluto's orbit overlaps the orbit of Neptune). However, Neptune was officially reinstated as a planet by special footnote. Pluto (and other newly discovered bodies, such as Xena and Sedna) is now a "dwarf planet."

Unlike textbooks, ExploreLearning was able to respond to the change quickly by adding a few notes to our Solar System Explorer Gizmo. We left Pluto in because it has such an interesting orbit, but made sure we referred to it as a "dwarf".

WHAT THE SHIT?!?!?!?!?!?!

Neptune basically stays a planet because it's bigger than Pluto? Neptune gets off fine while Pluto is swept under the carpet? When did bureaucrats start running the exploration of space?

By God! These people have an overdeveloped case of self importance.

By God! These people have an overdeveloped case of self importance.

Exactly! As an amature astronomer I love to explore the night with my telescope once in a while. Being someone who only knows a little of the sky, I just cannot stand people renaming/reclassifying planets etc. It just makes things confusing.

I do not agree with them and will continue to call Pluto a planet. Any Plutonians reading this let me know if you want me to join your army :D:P

Exactly! As an amature astronomer I love to explore the night with my telescope once in a while. Being someone who only knows a little of the sky, I just cannot stand people renaming/reclassifying planets etc. It just makes things confusing.

I do not agree with them and will continue to call Pluto a planet. Any Plutonians reading this let me know if you want me to join your army :D:P

I agree to keep calling it a planet (even though I'm not from Pluto)!

In french primary school we learned an english phrase to remember the order of the planets and now I need to figure out and remember a new one, that just sucks cuz it is a cool phrase:

My (mercure) Very(venus) Talanted(terre) Mother(mars) Just(jupitere) Served(saturne) Us(Uranus) Nine(neptune) Pizzas(pluton).

now how cool is that you learne the order, how many ther are and french being my 4th language when I started school I understood the teach when she sayed this sentence, maybe not the context she was using it in but I understood that one thing :P

My (mercure) Very(venus) Talanted(terre) Mother(mars) Just(jupitere) Served(saturne) Us(Uranus) Nine(neptune) Pizzas(pluton).

Guess it will have to be changed to:

My (mercure) Very(venus) Talanted (terre) Mother(mars) Just(jupitere) Served(saturne) Us(Uranus) Noodles(neptune).

:P