Pc Vs. Mac

The-Habby2919

Mac or PC  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Mac
    • PC
    • Other... where the F$%& are you from?

Yeah this is a favour to my sister who wants to buy a new computer. She wants to know which people prefer.

Please give testimonies about whichever you own and prefer. :hlogo:

Thanks from Justins Sister.

I had a Mac from 98-02, and I hated the thing. Froze all the time and of course wasn't compatible with anything.

Of course, a lot of things have changed since then. Macs now have Intel and can run Windows programming. Macs rock for drawing and photo software, most art schools require their students to get Macs. With the new cross-compatability, maybe Macs are worth having nowadays.

a PC is going to be cheaper and easier to get software for (a bit). Mac generally has better industrial design and the interface is more aesthetically pleasing (to most).

She should find out what her school/work prefers. My school allows us to take our exams on our laptops.... as long as we have PC. I imagine everything would work fine booting Windows from a Mac, but i dont know anybody who has tried it here.

As far as reliability, I thought since OS X mac has been pretty good... about the same as XP Pro...

Edited by simonus

It's an easy answer.

PC just doesn't match the visual aspects of Macs. So photo-editing, movie-editing, even music-editing and creating - all are dominated by Mac software (just ask anyone in the industry - like me!)

But if you want to play computer games, do basic student stuff, the PC is much more user-friendly. While it does get 100,000 more viruses than the Mac (literally!), it makes more sense to more users. And is easier to adjust. And has more basic software (as well as limited music/image editing products, or ones that are adapted to the software, but look/work nothing like they do on a Mac)

I've only really known PC's for personal use and, for school use, I've only had a couple of Macs in my class for a couple of years. I never really got used to the Macs.

My present laptop is a Dell and likely I'll be buying another Dell next time - good price, good product, good service.

I've read good stuff on Macs but I understand that they cost quite a bit more so, bang for the buck, I'm not sold yet. I may try a Mac next time but...

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Shortcat your Dell could explode it got recalled. Actually so did the Mac ibooks because they use the same Sony battery.

I have a IBM Think Pad. I like it even if it looks really old. Its simple. Someone else in the family just got a Toshiba wide screen. That thing is so confusing its hard to type because its so big it has a numbers pad so k,m,n,l,o,i,p,u are all tiny buttons.

Had a mac for 10 years. It was old. Really old. It was the first generation mac OS. The thing never broke, had any problems it just got out dated. (For example it didn't have flash or accept flash on the internet).

It still works fine haven't used it though.

Would easily go back to a mac, just so simple.

Grown up on them anyway, my school district here used macs and my high school did as well.

Ever since we got an HP the hard drive's been replaced 3 times, caught viruses and trojans about 5 or 6 times and we constantly have the computer guys and gals on speed dial. Pain in the rear.

I equate Macs to Honda and Toyotas. They are a little bit more expensive then the PC but you get your moneys worth.

Shortcat your Dell could explode it got recalled. Actually so did the Mac ibooks because they use the same Sony battery.

lol, that recall wasn't for all Dell laptops ever made. It was only for laptops sold during a few month period, and even then, not all the ones sold were recalled. Mine was bought during the time period, but wasn't part of the recall.

Between the two PCs I've owned and the two Macs my parents have owned, they are on pretty equal footing in terms of bad things happening.

My first Mac froze whenever I tried to run more than one program at a time and within 6 months of owning it the system crashed and we lost everything. With their new Mac, bought in 2002, it recently began freezing, and after trying everything I could to fix it, my parents had to take it in for repair work, there was some problem with the hardware and it took over 2 weeks to fix.

My first PC was a Tangent, a company only in business because my college has a contract with them to sell mandatory computers to all incoming freshman. Rather poorly constructed, the hard drive was not protected against heat very well, and everyone's hard drive fried at least once before graduation. Just goes to show that off-brand computers are not smart to buy. My 2nd PC is a Dell, and I love it. Only problem I had was with the CD drive, but that was my own fault, as I accidently deleted software related to the disc drive. Dell service was great, as they not only sent me the specific software so I didn't have to reinstall everything, but they sent a brand new disc drive in case the software didn't work.

Overall, I've enjoyed my PCs over the Macs I've used. I hate the one button mouse and I feel that neither system is more difficult to use compared to the other. PCs are susceptible to viruses, but that isn't an issue as long as you get a good anti-virus program. I recommend Norton, that's what I use and it has effectively killed the few viruses that ever made it onto my system. If your sister is in college, I'd also recommend seeing what software is avaiable through the school. I know a lot of schools have liscense on software so that they can make it available to all the students, so you can download the programs just as if your tuition is paying for them. I saved a few hundred bucks by not buying Norton and Microsoft Office and getting them from school.

I had a Mac from 98-02, and I hated the thing. Froze all the time and of course wasn't compatible with anything.

Of course, a lot of things have changed since then. Macs now have Intel and can run Windows programming. Macs rock for drawing and photo software, most art schools require their students to get Macs. With the new cross-compatability, maybe Macs are worth having nowadays.

You were probably running OS9. That was the only problem OS that mac has had. I had a G3 with OS9 that froze all the time, but as soon as I upgraded to OSX my problems went bye-bye. Since then my Mac has frozen once or twice. I've been running Macs for 15 years now; and my girlfriend had a PC for about 5 years and it froze all the time, or just got all Homer on us. I'd never buy a PC unless I really wanted to get into programming.

Program compatibility has never been an issue for me. Their are good Mac communities out there that can point you in the right direction.

Macs are super user friendly, and great for design, music, video, etc. Furthermore, they are WAY more purdy!

You were probably running OS9. That was the only problem OS that mac has had. I had a G3 with OS9 that froze all the time, but as soon as I upgraded to OSX my problems went bye-bye. Since then my Mac has frozen once or twice. I've been running Macs for 15 years now; and my girlfriend had a PC for about 5 years and it froze all the time, or just got all Homer on us. I'd never buy a PC unless I really wanted to get into programming.

Program compatibility has never been an issue for me. Their are good Mac communities out there that can point you in the right direction.

Macs are super user friendly, and great for design, music, video, etc. Furthermore, they are WAY more purdy!

I had various PC's for years (1989 - 2002). I was never really happy with them.

They always started out working well but degraded as I put more and more new software. After 2-3 years they all would crash pretty regularly.

In 2002, I took the plunge and bought a Mac (G4) running OSX. It took a couple of weeks to get used to the change but I am very happy. It still runs just as well as when I bought it. Last April I bought one of the new intel macs (faster processor to do heavy computations and/or search habsworld.net) and it is great as well. Now I have 3 macs and 1 PC (which my employer makes me use, as I am now :)).

I am much happier with the macs. Every day I have to use this PC I end up aggravated. Of course, the macs do cost more.

You were probably running OS9.

Haha, we were lucky if we were using OS 8, which I think is what we upgraded to eventually.

It's a shame they stopped making whatever model my parents had. It's a one piece desktop Mac that came very well priced. A solid computer, though within two years it had a major hardware issue that took 2 weeks in the shop to repair.

I'm getting my laptop replaced the end of this year and I've been really considering the mac option since I've heard about how easier it is to use. I know someone who can't stand using a PC because a Mac was so much simpler to them.

Right now I have an IBM Thinkpad R40 and pretty much everything has happened to it so the Mac option really is appealing since as many have said, there's support from every corner.

Any suggestions? I only really want the Mac because I'm sick of my laptop crashing thirty times and freezing when it hits something tricky. Plus I treat my laptops really bad.

After much consideration I have decide in December that I am going to get a 20" iMac G5. With the big screen it should be great for all my photos that I edit and view. I plan on getting it before the new models are released because this one is fine to suit my needs and would be cheaper then waiting a getting a newer model. I'm not a gamer so don't need a good gaming computer...solitarie is all I ever play...sometimes The Sims, but I'm still keeping my PC for that.

The design, widgets, included software are all just bonus to me. Can't wait to get it.

Thanks everybody for all your input, reviews, and suggestions :) :can: :P

Justin's Sister :)

After much consideration I have decide in December that I am going to get a 20" iMac G5. With the big screen it should be great for all my photos that I edit and view. I plan on getting it before the new models are released because this one is fine to suit my needs and would be cheaper then waiting a getting a newer model. I'm not a gamer so don't need a good gaming computer...solitarie is all I ever play...sometimes The Sims, but I'm still keeping my PC for that.

The design, widgets, included software are all just bonus to me. Can't wait to get it.

Thanks everybody for all your input, reviews, and suggestions :) :can: :P

Justin's Sister :)

:o:o enjoy !

Great choice. New Macs screens are awesome. Great quality. 20 inches is great. Congrats.

My brother bought a mac this year and the performance is great.

It always depends of your needs (and your wallet lol). I'm really satisfied with Windows XP and my Pentium-M wireless HP Centrino Laptop ^_^