The Carey Price Thread

mathieu30

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Canadian Hockey League today announced the successful recipients of the 2007 CHL Awards.

Carey Price of the Tri-City Americans was named the ADT Goaltender of the Year.

Clement Jodoin of the Lewiston MAINEiacs was named the Go RVing Brian Kilrea Coach of the Year. Jodoin in his third season with the MAINEiacs led them to their best record in franchise history and a first-place finish in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League with 50 wins and 106 points in 70 games.

http://www.chl.ca/CHLNews0607/0526a.html

McGuire is so full of himself that he wouldn't admit to all the criticism. He'd still say some lame excuse how the Habs should have still drafted another player.

Took my youngest to his first ever hockey game last night. We sat 3 rows behind Chicago's net, so we watched Price up close for the whole 2nd period. He's the real deal. Fast as a cat, calm calm calm, very good handling the puck, top notch rebound control, made a glove save from in close that I still don't know how he did it, and he has poise. And he's tall. Fred Brathwaite (ex NHLer) was the opposing goalie and Price looked like he was a foot taller.

He's gonna be something else in the NHL. Can't wait. Is he NHL ready? Gainey and the boys know better, but when he is, he'll be a star.

Edited by Habsterr

Price probably is a foot taller than Braithewaite.

Great stuff from the Dogs. Great for Carey that he gets to a finals, gets a winning mindset early with the juniors and now this.

Has any goalie been named a World's MVP and any league's playoffs MVP in the same year???

From what everyone has been saying about Price, his responding to the AHL playoffs, and the value of the experience he is gaining right not, I wonder how hard it will be to send him back to the AHL? I wouldn't want to rush him, but if he is ready, keeping him down is silly.

If they are confident in his ability to play with the big club we will have some most excellent trade bait ... especially for a team like the Lightning who need a bonafide first string goalie, and need to unload some of their high priced players. I'm sure we'd have to throw something else in to the deal, but Huet was an Allstar goalie, and had very good stats last year.

I'm stoked to see Price in training camp ... and I really hope that he dominates the finals next week!

Good little youtube video on him here:

Edited by Bacchus

• 2 weeks later...

So, there is a poll on the home page, and at this point the majority of polled voters think that Price will be first string AHL next year. My questions is, do you think that his development would actually benefit from an additional year in the AHL? Or would it stunt his development?

Like all people, we fear that he will get bombarded in his first year, and so we should protect him. But this may be too overly cautious.

(yes, I know ... we will know more once training camp comes around, and Gainey says he will only come to the Habs to be the first string goalie ... I am just surprised that so many people have him pegged as first string AHL)

Edited by Bacchus

I hope Price starts the year in Hamilton and the Habs see what Halak and Huet can do with the habs. At Christmas take a look at where everything stands and move from there.,

Starting him in the 'A' would be smart. While he's had a great run, we want to make sure that he can play at that level consistently. There's something to be said for spending more time with professional level coaching as well (I'm sure he'd see more of Rollie in Hamilton than he did in junior), which may help fine tune his... uh, well, I don't know, but maybe Rollie notices something to fine tune!

After this, we can bring him back during The Montreal Canadiens 3rd Annual Mid-Season Swoon, to drag our sorry asses into the playoffs, like Huet and Halak (well, almost) before him. :D

Gainey figured he needed a year in the AHL. He's already had 2 months.

The thing is with goalies, one season doesn't just flow into the next. Especially for young goalies. If Halak struggles, we'll likely see a switch mid-season.

I don't think another year stunts him at all. DiPietro got an extra AHL year after a similar performance in 2001-02. Even after coming up at the trade deadline in 2003, he split time with Snow, and Snow started the playoffs. The next year, they still split, though DiPietro got more games down the stretch and started the playoffs.

Lehtonen and Fleury both had strong AHL playoff runs recently as well. Actually, I think Cam Ward had a good one during the lockout, too. It's not an automatic that they can just jump into the NHL and perform as expected, especially with a market like ours. There's no harm in starting the year in Hamilton at all.

I'm of a different opinion.

Protecting kids is one thing. Holding back talent that has proven its self to be mature and capable is another. MVP in the Junior Canadian Tourney and gold medal, Best player in the CHL, MVP in the AHL playoffs and Calder cup Champion. What more does he need to prove. I don't think there is much more to say but strategy!

Bob's a smart calculating GM. If we can get good trade value for Huet or Halak; coupled with Price having a good camp, I could see another calculated gamble by Bob to bring Price into the mix sooner rather than later.

You have a goalie that shows poise and calm; which in return instills confidense in the team in front of him. Furthermore, he can steal games by himself. The last time I felt this way about a player was ROY and we let him go; lets not make a similar mistake with Price. Lets him play, he has earned it! And although he's referred to as Price the kid; don't get me wrong he's young in age. But mentally and in his game, he is a fully developed giant both physically and mentally.

Not sure what more Rollie can help him with but I'm sure that help can happen easily with the big club. Would you like to see us record a winning margin like 16-5; winning games more handedly than losing them. I would like that kind of Star power in goal. We pick the best available talent in the draft. Now we should play the best available talent at hand!

I sure would like to be a winner and my vote is for Price to take us to victory.

GO HABS GO!

Edited by Chips

after winnning the calder cup, patrick spent the year in the A before coming in and win the stanley cup.

as well, guys like fleury and dipietro came in early and struggle with consistency.

other arguement why he should stay in the A: I dont think that montreal will be a force next year. in fact, if they don't do serious stuff on D, they'll be bottom feeders next season. is it the right environment for a kid like price ??

let the kid earn his callup next year. there'S no rush.

DiPietro got an extra AHL year after a similar performance in 2001-02...Lehtonen and Fleury both had strong AHL playoff runs recently...Cam Ward...There's no harm in starting the year in Hamilton at all.

The lockout helped Ryan Miller too. He was the MVP.

Price going back to the AHL is probably a sound decision. Problem will be if Price pushes in camp to the point that he's impossible for Carbo and Rollie to dismiss.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

The lockout helped Ryan Miller too. He was the MVP.

Price going back to the AHL is probably a sound decision. Problem will be if Price pushes in camp to the point that he's impossible for Carbo and Rollie to dismiss.

he will have to stand on his head !!

he will have to stand on his head !!

He is very capable of standing on his head and playing sound positional hockey! He's got the fundamentals and the talent to boot, there's not much to learn or to experience at that level.

Don't get me wrong gang. I agree that time would be wisely spent if Price was given a chance to develop further and underless pressure in hamilton (but I do think he needs to be challenged to evolve and grow, hamilton may not provide a new challenge, but could prove a happy place to get quality ice time).

But don't forget Koivu's last few comments at the end of the season that were echoed and agreed on by Gainey. Koivu wants this team to compete and play the best players and best hockey next season and contend. He wants us to win and win big not five years or four years from now next year and one after. Gainey heard him loud and clear and vowed to make things happen at the year end conference, he will provide that I'm sure of it. He will make the moves to bring in the talent via trades and graduate the farm to achieve his plan and satisfy not just Koivu but the fans who have been waiting for this for way too long (not as long as the leafs, but long enough). The pieces of the puzzle are all there... We didn't aquire all that talent in the farm and develop them to win calder cups for hamilton, they are but a means to an end with the Stanley cup in Montreal.

We have loads of options in net and IF the Price is right lets make a deal!

GO HABS GO!

Edited by Chips

:lol: THE PRICE IS RIGHT !!! sorry couldn't resist :lol:

it seems like thats the only thing title that papers can give to articles surroounding price. It really shows lack of originality.unfortunatly(if we're lucky) I'll to suffer 20 years of The price is right !!

there !! it's out of my system !!!

• 1 month later...
http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/hockey/2...arbonneau.shtml

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...Flanguage_tools

Carbonneau feels that Price is close to Montreal.

Cool. Camp will tell :hlogo: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I saw him on tv and he almost said that it was price's spot to lose.

basicly sayin: don't drop the ball, kid and the job his yours