Official HW Beer Thread

JLP

• 3 weeks later...
those 50 miles are a huge difference.

btw Unibroue freaking rules.

How do you say it in french because here in 'merica they say Unibrew.

i think you're right Unibroue = Unibrew but with a french accent. And you're also right concerning the freaking rules thing my favorite of all time is : Unibroue 1837 a white beer.

What's your favourite german beer?

I like Löwenbräu

check this out : http://beergeek.stores.yahoo.net/germanbeer.html

My favorite is Bitburger. Here in Québec we have Beck's, Warsteiner and Bitburger, maybe some others too.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...
If you wanna throw up, "Navigator of Holland" is the way to go. $2 per can, not kingcans format, but not regular either, it's something like 500ml per can w/ something around 8%... and it's really pukeable...

:lol:

I should have read this post before last year when I bought a Navigator red can. Worst. Beer. Ever.

I felt in luv with the McAuslan Selection 12 pack. 3 Griffons rousses, 3 griffons extra blondes, 3 St-Ambroise blondes and 3 St-Ambroise à l'abricot.

St-Ambroise blonde is slowly becoming my #1 everyday beer. Unibroue 1837 remains my ultimate favourite beer but is now sold only in a few SAQ.

• 9 months later...
St-Ambroise blonde is slowly becoming my #1 everyday beer. Unibroue 1837 remains my ultimate favourite beer but is now sold only in a few SAQ.

It,s done now. St-Ambroise blonde IS my #1 everyday beer.

Was with friends the other day and I calculated that I probably spent around 800$ to 1000$ of beer in 2009, wich is ridiculous if we take into account that I made about 26K in 2009. 1/26 of my money in ######ing beer !!!!

I don't drink a lot of liquors though... Bombay Sapphire, a few vodka shots and that's it.

Was with friends the other day and I calculated that I probably spent around 800$ to 1000$ of beer in 2009, wich is ridiculous if we take into account that I made about 26K in 2009. 1/26 of my money in ######ing beer !!!!

I don't drink a lot of liquors though... Bombay Sapphire, a few vodka shots and that's it.

I think Bombay probably constitutes 40-50% of all my drinking. It's so good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
On ‎2007‎-‎07‎-‎02 at 4:28 PM, JoeLassister said:

Wow a nice thread coming from nowhere!

My favorites beers are all white.

1. Unibroue 1837

2. Cheval Blanc

3. Hoegarden

4. I like Bleue Dry, Molson Dry, i dont like Export, Bleue, It has to be Dry !!!

5. so many fight for the 5th spot Holsten festbock, others Unibroue, all the german beers i can't spell, belgium stuff, etc

those i hate the most are the "summer crap beer" aka Corona, Coronita, Heineiken (hein just smell skunk) and all the cheap beers aka Carling, MGD, Bud, Wildcat, etc...

On ‎2009‎-‎05‎-‎04 at 1:35 AM, JoeLassister said:

:lol:

I should have read this post before last year when I bought a Navigator red can. Worst. Beer. Ever.

I felt in luv with the McAuslan Selection 12 pack. 3 Griffons rousses, 3 griffons extra blondes, 3 St-Ambroise blondes and 3 St-Ambroise à l'abricot.

On ‎2010‎-‎03‎-‎04 at 1:09 AM, JoeLassister said:

Holy cow !!!  What an evolution between 2007 and 2017.

None of the beers I listed in 2007 would even come close to my top 100 now.  Bleue and Molson is just disgusting to me nowadays.

Even if I still buy some McAuslan Griffon and St-Ambroise, I realize that within the last 5 years or so, I turned into a beer geek.

Molson and Labatt have been replaced  by  Dieu du Ciel, Trou du Diable, Dunham, Vox Populi, le Castor, etc. 

In 2010, looks like I was spending 800$ to 1000$ a year in beer.

No joke,  right now, in my fridge, there is over 150$ to 200$ of beer.    I clearly bought for more than 1000$ of beer between May and August alone.

At least, my salary is now closer to 65k  than the 26k  I was making in 2007  :D

On 9/13/2006 at 0:08 AM, Fanpuck33 said:

I admit, I'm not the best judge, as IC Light is the only beer I've ever actually liked. The others on my list are really ones that I can tolerate drinking. So really, if a beer goes down like water, I like it. If it weren't for the hilarity of college parties and silly drunkeness, I'd probably never drink beer. Damn, I miss college.

My tops:

1. IC Light: Brewed in Pittsburgh, but not a microbrewery. Goes down beautifully and comes in freaking aluminum bottles. And Tex will like this, I have one bottle with Jerome Bettis on it

2. Budweiser cans: Also goes down smooth, no "bitter beer face." Don't know why, but the cans taste better than bottles or tap to me.

3. Labatt Blue: Pretty good stuff, was pissed when BW3 was tapped out when I was there watching hockey once

4. Moslon: The taste is ok, but I love the funny quips on the bottles

5. Natural Light: Cheapest stuff they sell down here, so its popular on college campuses. It's an acquired taste, to say the least, but it grew on me enough that I like it now. It's made by Budweiser, and there is a brewery of theirs here in Columbus. When they used to give tours, we always found it interesting there were no vats of "Nati Light." Got us thinking. We decided it tasted a lot like Bud Light, so we started administering blind taste tastes. Everyone who took it failed miserably at telling the difference. Our theory is that Nati LIght is simply the bottom gallons in the Bud Light vats.

Worst:

1. Chocolate Beer: Friend and I thought it sounded interesting. . . It wasn't. He couldn't finish his can, so I took the rest of the pack to the face, chugging them with a clothespin on my nose to help muffle the taste.

2. Flying Dog Winter Ale: a fine example of microbrewery crap. Worst regular beer ever

3. Holy Moses: another example of crappy microbreweries

4. Any Dark Beer: Never found one I've been able to finish

Haha, nice resurrection, Joe! Times have certainly changed. I've gone from only drinking it only to get drunk to trying over 300 beers over the years (see photo below), and that's just the bottles. Brewpubs are also one of the top things I look at when travelling, in addition to the food.  I would love to know which chocolate beer it was that I hated so much, as there is now one in my top five. I also used to hate dark beers and now I primarily drink porters and stouts, haha. 

My top five today:

1. Cerveza De Los Muertos - Pay the Ferryman - a Mexican porter whose malts are roasted to the very edge of being burnt.

2. DuClaw - Sweet Baby Jesus: a peanut butter porter

3. Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen: a German smoked beer that almost tastes like there's bacon in it.

4. Samuel Smith - Organic Chocolate Stout: exactly what it sounds like

5. Breckenridge - Vanilla Porter: exactly what it sounds like

I'll play...the current beer in my fridge is:

Corona (my wife likes to go between Corona and Modelo Especial)

Oskar Blues - Mamas Lil Yella Pils

Dry Dock - Apricot Ale (another of my wife's favorites)

Deschutes - Mirror Pond Ale

Denver Beer Co - Graham Cracker Porter

New Belgium - Citradelic Exotic Lime Ale

Bud Light - Brother in law's beer from last Thanksgiving

I like to rotate through lots of different beers. The Citradelic (and the Tangerine IPA) were both good hot weather summer beers. I'm not a huge fan of the Apricot Ale, or most fruity beers, although there are exceptions, of course. During the summer, I keep the beers lighter, once winter hits, I tend to go darker. The exception being hockey, which I tend to stick with the Mamas as my "go to" easy drinking staple. I should try and rotate that a little bit more. Maybe I'll do the "build your own six pack" type of thing this season, and buy local brews from the teams the Habs are playing. I will admit to over indulging on Ex when I was in Brossard this summer. Can't get it here, and it's one of those nostalgic things for me.

I love doing build your own six packs. I've been through nearly every dark beer from the craft beer shop I live near. Was a great way to fill out my collection of caps. I've kind of slowed down on those now that I filled up my freezer with all the caps, so I'm mostly now just doing 6 packs of my faves.

In my fridge right now, on top of my head.

1x  Great Lakes Brewery - Octopus Wants to Fight IPA
1x  Collective Arts Brewing - Rhyme & Reason
1x  Collective Arts Brewing - Prophets & Nomads

1x  Flying Monkeys -  Juicy Ass IPA
(was in Hawkesbury 2 weekends ago, bought some at LCBO)

Next ones are from Québec breweries

4x  Dieu du Ciel - Solstice d'été Framboise (Raspberry sour beer, classic from Dieu du Ciel)

1x  Dieu du Ciel - Symbiose #8  (An awesome blend of  Solstice d'été  and a beer called Dernière Volonté Brett,  with Brettanomyces yeast)

1x  750ml   Dunham - La Quench du Soif  (Collaboration with Twin Sails Brewing,  American IPA)

1x  750ml   Dunham - Jane Doe #6  (blend of barrel-aged fruited beer)

1x  750ml   Trou du Diable -  La Bretteuse  (Zinfandel and Pinot noir  barrel-aged IPA with  brettanomyces yeast)
1x  500ml   Bièrerie Shelton -  Shelton NEIPA  (not really a New England IPA  IMHO.  Tropical fruits aromas)

1x  600ml   Le Castor  -  Abricot  (blend of barrel-aged beer (70%) and young sour beer (30%). The blend was then aged on organic dried apricots for several months with Brettanomyces yeasts)

1x  600ml   Le Castor - Kleine Weisse  (Berliner Weisse.  Acidified with Lactobacillus and fermented with Saccharomyces & Brettanomyces)

Now,  the real good stuff.   2 weeks ago,  Myself and 5 friends all registered for a draw.  The famous Belgian brewery Cantillon is importing beers in Québec.
This is only   6 packs of 750ml beers.

Among our group of 6,  3 of us have been selected and will have the opportunity to buy a 6 pack and split them all.

We got   Cuvée Fou'Foune, Rosée de Gambrinus and  Vigneronne.

Can't wait for this shit to arrive in Montréal.

Oh,  and I still have  2 cans of  Labbatt 50  that I brought back from our golf tournament a few weeks ago.

As a funny coincidence, my birthday was on Saturday. My wife got me a set of 4 Habs pint glasses, coasters that were made out of a puck, and a bottle opener made from a chunk of a hockey stick shaft. Hmm, it's past quitting time for me, I work from home...might as walk out to the garage fridge and grab a beer.

On 8/23/2017 at 4:50 PM, JoeLassister said:

1x  Dieu du Ciel - Solstice d'été Framboise (Raspberry sour beer, classic from Dieu du Ciel)

I've just recently discovered gose style beers. I've liked what I've had so far.

My fridge:

1x Spike and Jerome's Collaboration Barley Ryne - Swiss limited edition

1x Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen - the previoulsly mentioned smoked beer

1x Bell's Consecrator Dopplebock - dark lager

1x DuClaw Dirty Little Freak - caramel, chocolate, coconut porter

1x Fathead's Bumbleberry - honey blueberry ale

1x Cooperstown Bambino - american ale

1x Cooperstown Bench Warmer - porter

1x Narragansett Del's shandy - a lemon shandy

6x Cerveza De Los Muertos - Pay the Ferryman - the previously mentioned Mexican porter

15x Nati Ice - from when some buddies and I woke up early to drink all day and watch the Open Championship

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Quite sad day in the Québec craft beer market.

Trou du Diable, one of the biggest around here, has been sold to Six-Pints, a division of Molson-Coors.

Just like what happened to Wicked Weed in the US.

• 2 years later...
On 7/3/2007 at 7:06 PM, JoeLassister said:

I've never seen those labels. I'll give you 2$ each. MP me if you want to sell me those bottles...

On 7/3/2007 at 9:22 PM, Fanpuck33 said:

Sorry, those have a special meaning to me, which is the only reason I still have 'em. They were both from the first six pack I ever bought. Bought them to watch the Habs game my parents taped and mailed to me, since I didn't have Versus back at college.

P.S. If anyone was wondering why I kept that bottle of Carlsberg Elephant even though I said it was the worst beer I ever had, it's because as a kid I collected elephants, so I had to keep a bottle, hehe.

Dang, I wasn't expecting my little trip down memory lane to make me sad. I completely forgot about the special meaning those Molson bottles held and got rid of them when I moved.

Does Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout make its way up to Canada? It ranges from $4-6 per 12oz bottle, but it is so worth it! Best beer there is in my opinion.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 8:56 PM, Fanpuck33 said:

Dang, I wasn't expecting my little trip down memory lane to make me sad. I completely forgot about the special meaning those Molson bottles held and got rid of them when I moved.

Does Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout make its way up to Canada? It ranges from $4-6 per 12oz bottle, but it is so worth it! Best beer there is in my opinion.

Nice bump.

Yes, we see some KBS in LCBO in Ontario.  But here in Qc,  Founders are nowhere to be seen. 

I'm not into stout at all though.  I don't appreciate the taste of coffee to begin with.

Only a few breweries outside of Québec bought a special selling license to allow them to sell in here.   Trailways from New-Brunswick is the latest.  Beau's and Colliective Art are also on the shelves here.