Chaotic Scene As Shots Fired At Montreal College Cbc

Athlétique.Canadien

The current gun registry is a farce - an expensive fund guzzling waste of bureaucracy, that simply doesn't serve any legitimate purpose. I'm a hunter and own several guns - none like that though as they're not designed for hunting. As a hunter I see no purpose in owning such a weapon, nor do I see any legitimate need or reason for anyone owning such a weapon. Unfortunately the weapon is question is designed for one purpose and only one purpose - killing humans. It is either purchased illegally, or it is stolen from someone who is unable to register it in the first place, so there is no clout in this system. Sadly the current system is a nuisance to the average law abiding citizen - especially to farmers and hunters who abide by the current setup and who are responsible with their guns. Despite the hue and cry of the masses in the wake of such a horrendous tragedy the sad reality is the fact that the gun registry as currently orchestrated does little if anything to prevent gun related crimes.

In the end it is not the availability of guns that concerns me as much as the proliferation of violence and the lack of respect that runs rampant . Guns by themselves do not kill - it is the human who lacks both judgment as well as respect for his fellow man who kills - time and time again regardless of the laws we put in place.....

In the end all that really matters now is the well being of those who have been so horrendously affected by such a selfish moment in time - our prayers and sympathies are with all those who are hurting so very badly......

"The wise shall inherit glory, But shame shall be the legacy of fools." (Proverbs 3:35)

Edited by beliveau1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, guns are just like drugs. You can make them illegal, but people will find a way to get them. Both ruin lives and can ruin the lives of non-users under certain circumstances. (i.e. Shooting someone with a gun or killing someone in a car wreck while high.) The only way to make any progress is to aggressively hunt down and prosecute those who are selling illegal items.

These are illegal guns. Go after illegal guns.

But if you want to dismantle the gun registry doesn't that include all guns? Or just long barrelled guns?

I know what you mean about hunting and farmers. The problem is you can't have two systems. It just doesn't work that way you either have to have no gun registry at all or have a gun registry

Then let me hear your alternative beliveau1?

I didn't write that to offer a solution to the problems we face all too often, nor was it a rant in support of the right to own a firearm.

However if you want my simple and limited opinion, well then in a nutshell, the fact is there is no alternative human designed system capable of eliminating human irresponsibility. No gun registry programs, and no amount of human oriented punishment will ever eliminate human misbehavioural issues. The reality is that the man made criminal codes of our current society are not infallible, nor are they as wise as they will ever pretend or hope to be.....

Crime has been an issue since the dawn of time and it will continue to be no matter how hard we try to regulate or ban it? Greed and corruption are too common and too acceptable - it is everywhere in our society today.

Unfortunately with free will, man will always have the choice to screwup or do the right thing. The actual answers to our problems lie in a principle that has divided man throughout the ages....

"There is a way that seems right to a man, But its' end is the way of death." (Proverbs 14:12)

In the end though, my concern is not about politics or semantics - it is just for those who are suffering at this very moment.

Our prayers and thoughts are with them and them alone!

Edited by beliveau1

so you are saying you would like to see no checks whatsoever?

I never once suggested that we don't try to find solutions to problems. But the reality is that you can put whatever checks you want in place - none will ever prevent the determined lunatic from acting out his delusions.....

You cannot legislate an end to stupidy and a policy of zero tolerance has never solved anything. Yes we should punish those who commit such crimes accordingly, but don't expect it to eradicate stupidity. There is an answer, but man doesn't want it (and I'm not going to debate it here.)

Edited by beliveau1

As long as there is freedom... crime will exist. But to remove freedom would be a crime in it's own.

I have no idea if that makes sense, but in my mind the only way to ultimately remove all chances of anything happening like this again would be to almost imprison the world and run surveillance on every single person. Or you know, create metal-detectors for each and every door to each and every school, library, sports complex, etc. But of course, people would simply find a way around it anyway.

*shrug*

Communism anyone?

Most policement will tell you that the gun registry helps them a whole lot when doing investigations. They dont want the registry to be dismantled. They're the one using it, to protect us the public, so I'll side with them about that.

Anyways, La Presse says all his guns were legal and registered. There you've got it. How the ###### is a country who call itself civilized can allow a ######ing teen to own ######ing guns? How is that even remotely ######ing sensical?

Just treat guns like cigarettes or other drugs: target the ones at the top who make the most money out of it. Make them own up to the stuff they create. Anyone has the political balls to tackle that one?

Anyone has the political balls to tackle that one?

Apparently not because God forbid they do something that might upset people and make the parties involve loose seats in parliament.

When it comes to gun issues now the ball is in the Conservatives court and by the looks of it, they'll just keep on doing what they want to do in dismantling the registry. Thats not me being partisan at the moment thats just a fact because dismantling registry was one of Harpers 5 things he was going to do. He can't look like a flip flopper to his base in the Prairies. If he says he's going to keep the registry because of this event, he will go back to Alberta with his tail between his legs because he's promised for a while to his base that, that was the first thing he'd do.

So he's got a political delemia. Either do what he said he was going to do and destroy the registry but in the mean time killing his political career because he's been trying to court Quebec since day one. If he kills the registry he's got no shot at all at a majority or heck he might even end up on the opposition benches again.

But if he decides to keep it, he'll be seen as an opportunist trying to capitalize on a tragedy. He'd really have egg on his face since they I think already tabled the bill to dismantle the program which is due to be voted on in a month or so. If he backs out, he not only will let down his base but the opposition parties will go after him for being 'oppertunistic' because until yesterday he was for dismantling the program and now all of a sudden he'd change course? His goose is cooked.

Sorry to turn this into politics but everything has a political motive these days. Heck Duccepe I think has already seen this which is why he brought up the registry yesterday. He sees what I've typed about above.

This is the worst possible time to judge the stand of any politician as too much hype and poll fodder is at risk in the heat of the moment.... the political opportunists will leap at any conceived impression that a vote can be swayed?

Personally I would have no problem with a gun registry, if it was actually effective, and it had some impact on crime. The current one is absolutely useless and it has little effect on crimes. Yes once in a while it catches a gun involved here and there, but on the whole, most gun related crime is not tied to honest gun registered citizens. It is perpetrated by an element of society that has no respect for law or order - and registering their weapon of choice is not an option!

As it stands now I'm in favour of disbanding the current system - not just because it is ineffective, but rather because it is an incompetent cash cow with no end in sight.....

Now it just punishes the law abiding citizen and ignores the real problem!

(And sadly enough, the current problem is that honest citizens who have guns stolen run the risk of actually being charged if their storage of guns doesn't measure up to a level which is rather vaguely defined to start with.)

WHY THE ###### WOULD "HONEST" CITIZENS WANT TO OWN GUNS ANYWAY???

What? To hunt? Just got to the ######ing Lowblaws, there's plenty of food there. The only folks who should be allowed to hunt are the old-timer who actually grew up at a time when people were so poor they had to hunt to eat. For the rest of us, hunting is just a sad excuse to shoot stuff up. Want to really hunt for the sport? Hunt with a ######ing bow. Just be ready to run when the moose with an arrow in its side comes charging. That's what real hunting is.

If you really cant resist the urge to shoot something, play ######ing paintball.

How ######ing simpler can it be?