Ivanans Fights Twice.....

HABZRULE

Sorry all, still pissed that we lost him. Just noticed that he went twice and bloodied one of them!!

Bye BIGMAN.....I'll miss you!

what is he to missed for ??

he wasn't no domi or probert. the guy played one game in montreal, lost a fight to chara and got is noe broken on a chara sucker punch.

if you want a real tough guy, ask ottawa to trade for mcgrattan. now thats one tough fighter and can also skate.

I knew I would take alot of heat for this. Who on the Habs is going to take his place? Downey....not from what I've seen. Aitken.....negative........Please don't say Rivet or Souray(we need them on the ice). Tough guys are available all over and cheap too. I just think that signing a guy for cheap is a good move. Any thoughts????? :D

Wow, who cares that he's gone? Talk about a person that made zero difference or contribution to the success of the Habs. :wacko:

Well his face was smashed apart, that sort of affected his season... :mellow:

The new NHL has changed - there isn't any room on the roster for useless pieces anymore thanks to the reality of the salary cap.

looking at his stats: the guys even as a tough time holding his onw in the AHL.

I just din't see how he would play in the NHL.

eason Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

1997-98 Flint Generals UHL 18 0 1 1 20 -- -- -- -- --

1998-99 Macon Whoopee CHL 16 1 1 2 20 -- -- -- -- --

1998-99 Tulsa Oilers CHL 32 2 7 9 39 -- -- -- -- --

1999-00 Pensacola Ice Pilots ECHL 59 3 7 10 146 2 0 0 0 0

2000-01 New Haven Knights UHL 66 4 10 14 270 8 1 0 1 4

2000-01 Hershey Bears AHL 2 0 0 0 0 -- -- -- -- --

2001-02 Toledo Storm ECHL 16 2 2 4 59 -- -- -- -- --

2001-02 Baton Rouge Kingfish ECHL 40 4 5 9 180 -- -- -- -- --

2002-03 Rockford IceHogs UHL 50 4 2 6 208 -- -- -- -- --

2002-03 Milwaukee Admirals AHL 17 0 0 0 38 1 0 0 0 15

2003-04 Milwaukee Admirals AHL 54 1 7 8 166 7 0 1 1 17

2003-04 Rockford IceHogs UHL 1 0 0 0 0 -- -- -- -- --

2004-05 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 75 2 5 7 259 2 0 1 1 0

2005-06 Montreal Canadiens NHL 4 0 0 0 9 -- -- -- -- --

2005-06 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 43 2 0 2 120 -- -- -- -- --

NHL Totals 4 0 0 0 9

Marky.....I never said it had to be him- I just think we need to get tougher. Downey is NOT our answer. Sign a guy to a 2 way deal and send him to Hamilton. Bring him up when we play Ottawa or Phoenix or any other "tough " team! As it stands now, we seem to have nobody.

"Tough" guys are retiring all over the place because they can't find work. I would rather have Downey in the lineup than a "dedicated" goon, there isn't much point in a player who has a so-called talent that is barely required anymore. The Habs won't stock the farm with goons to call up in case we face a "tough" team. Let McGratton and other idiots chase our players around and try and draw penalties. As shown before Souray and Komisarek won't turtle if challenged. The salary cap and the change of the game itself is really eliminating the specialty role of goon. If that's solely the reason some people tune into hockey, then their recourse is to tune in to various minor leagues.

Fighting always has been and always should be a part of the game.

You are correct!

But not between goons (although sometimes entertaining). It is much better to see two star players fight a la Iginla and Guerin. When team leaders fight it is truly about the passion and love for the game and victory!

Fanpuck.....you seem to be a good guy. Of course there will be fighting in the years to come. I think Ivan may haunt us in the future. Good thing he's in the West. So for everyone else......what do we do when we meet up with a Derek Boogaard....Jody Shelley.....McGratton.. Laraque....Brashear the list goes on. And Huzer...Komi only fought last year when he pretty much jumped Brashear! I saw the game and trust me when I say, Brash had already turned to skate away when Komi dropped his gloves(pretty tough to do that).

We don't want him fighting anyways(which is why I say we need to get tougher-PERIOD.

You are correct!

But not between goons (although sometimes entertaining). It is much better to see two star players fight a la Iginla and Guerin. When team leaders fight it is truly about the passion and love for the game and victory!

anybode remembers the zednik-drury fight ?? on of the best I've seen in my life.

I wished montreal had a real enforcer who could play à la domi or hunter but we don't. that doesn't make us a lesser team. I know we have greg stewart and jimmy bonneau in our farm system but I'm nt sure that they're what we're looking for

Are the days of the pure enforcer gone? More than likely. Today's fighters will be more like Brashear. They won't put up 250+ PIMs and they'll have to be able to hold their own on the ice. Fighters will have to be able to skate and not be a liability when on the ice.

I don't mind Souray fighting as long as it's not against a Darcy Hordichuk type player. I think fights belong in hockey but goons do not. Stars fighting against stars is a traditional part of the game - I love seeing guys like Iginla, Lecavalier and Chara fight eachother.

Fighting always has been and always should be a part of the game.

Fighting in the 1974 Broad Street Bullies intimidation tactic sense or in the minor league sense should stay were it is: in the past and in the minor leagues. I can't understand why anyone would be fascinated or interested specificaly in goons and fights. They're not part of the game itself; they're just an anachronism that stuck.

I'm not saying fighting should be eliminated altogether. Seeing Lecavalier and Iginla go at it at least has a meaning and a purpose within the context of the game. But encouraging and giving exposure to talentless, one-trick poney goons like Ivanans just reeks of glorifying violence for the sake of violence.

Whenever I see the type of drunken, vulgar, classless neantherdals that go to minor league games like the NAHL just to see goons fight and that make complete asses of themselves, I can't help but wish that hockey would get rid of goons just to get rid of all those morons fans in the process. I got absolutely no respect whatsoever for all those nimrods. And more often than not, they're the same douchebags that ruin hockey for kids with their stupidity.

Sorry to sound like a snob about it, but I've just had brushes with too many of those animals. They're the scum layer of society in urgent need of a brain transplant or mandatory deportation to a desert island. I wish Darwin was still around to explain why those apes still has not evolved.

And just for the record: I'm not associating anyone on this board with those trash I've just described. Sadly, those lowlifes are just a minority, but they still manage to ruin it for everyone. I dont know any of you so dont feel targeted.

Fighting in the 1974 Broad Street Bullies intimidation tactic sense or in the minor league sense should stay were it is: in the past and in the minor leagues. I can't understand why anyone would be fascinated or interested specificaly in goons and fights. They're not part of the game itself; they're just an anachronism that stuck.

I'm not saying fighting should be eliminated altogether. Seeing Lecavalier and Iginla go at it at least has a meaning and a purpose within the context of the game. But encouraging and giving exposure to talentless, one-trick poney goons like Ivanans just reeks of glorifying violence for the sake of violence.

Whenever I see the type of drunken, vulgar, classless neantherdals that go to minor league games like the NAHL just to see goons fight and that make complete asses of themselves, I can't help but wish that hockey would get rid of goons just to get rid of all those morons fans in the process. I got absolutely no respect whatsoever for all those nimrods. And more often than not, they're the same douchebags that ruin hockey for kids with their stupidity.

Sorry to sound like a snob about it, but I've just had brushes with too many of those animals. They're the scum layer of society in urgent need of a brain transplant or mandatory deportation to a desert island. I wish Darwin was still around to explain why those apes still has not evolved.

And just for the record: I'm not associating anyone on this board with those trash I've just described. Sadly, those lowlifes are just a minority, but they still manage to ruin it for everyone. I dont know any of you so dont feel targeted.

Sorry there champ, but I happen to be one of those "neanderthals" you speak of and I take offence to what you've said. Scum of the society....I hold a full time job and have since I was 16 yrs old. I've never been on gov't assistance(of any sort other than Medicare). I grew up watching guys like Nilan police for the Habs...and Kordic,Roberge,Ewen and have found that a team without a policeman gets pushed around every game. Look at Ottawa a couple of years ago. They were harassed by every team. Neil couldn't do it alone so in comes McGratton and all of a sudden, no more Mr. Nice guy. Perhaps the days of pure goons are gone but they will always be a part of the system.Going into someone else's arena without some back-up usually results in a loss. I don't know how long you've played hockey, but odds are if you did play and the other team was "tougher" you probably stayed out of the corners!

Sorry there champ, but I happen to be one of those "neanderthals" you speak of and I take offence to what you've said.

Look at the last paragraph of my post. I said I wasnt associating anyone here with those; they are the proverbial "rotten apples" that spoils it for everyone else; especially minor hockey.

I do have appreciation for guys like Nilan; because he could actually play. Kordic was a menace to society. Ewen wasn't that great a fighter. Roberge was a good fighter but could barely keep up with the NHL.

I think that the supposed "goon" effect that makes your players less scared is nothing but a lazy shortcut. If your best players dont have the heart and guts to face physical contact; and if you dont have players who can dish out hits as well; you've done a lousy job putting your team together or motivating your players. As simple as that.

There was virtually no dedicated goons back in the Original 6 era. Guys like Richard, Beliveau, Howe had to fend for themselves. That's what real hockey should be about IMO. Tough SOBs who can take care of themselves but who also have the talent to belong in the NHL and play the actual game. Sadly with the diluted talent pool I'm not sure we'll ever go back to such a time; but hopefuly the new rules will work toward that. And hopefuly the few savages who only wants to see fights will stick to minor league arenas; or better yet, grow a brain and start enjoying real hockey.

I just dont think goons who can't do anything else deserve to be turned into stars and their lack of talent be glorified. That's all.

Kozed, first off, Kordic may have been a menace but he was also one of the most feared fighters when he played. We had at one point the 2 toughest(Kordic and Nilan) in the league. I may be biased for Nilan because he was/is my favorite all time. You said Ewen couldn't fight....well from what I remember, he knocked out 2 guys when he played for St Louis. Roberge could fight...but barely. He used to get his ass kicked in the NAHL with regularity. Murray Baron.....Mr Quebec....couldn't do either-fight or play. You say if you put together a team of people who won't hit or go in the corners then you've done a bad job of putting a team together. So if you had 20 Kovalev's playing for you, you will have done poorly?? Makes no sense to me. I do agree that back in the days of the original 6 guys had to do both-play and protect themselves. Now we fast forward to where they've added 20 odd teams so for sure the quality of play will suffer. I never said I wanted ONLY fights but let's be honest, yell out "fight" next time the game is on and people will come running. All I'm saying is you need 1 guy who is ready and willing to mix it up on a nightly basis. If the other team comes out swinging should we turtle and take the 4min power play? Better say no because you may score on the power play but your team will get killed all game long.Stand for something or fall for everything.

Last words..... we need a guy like Downey only bigger. If Downey fights 30 times and loses 29 of them, what message does that bring to your team. Fighting provides a spark...winning a fight creates the FIRE

G- out