Latendresse Might Just Make The Team

markierung

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for 20 minutes a night in Junior? Barring injury his ice time will be well over 20 and he's being counted on to lead Canada at the World Juniors - an invaluable experince he can use. He may not see even 10 minutes a game at the NHL level and that would be a horrible price to pay come free agency time in 7 years.

/quote]

I think the issue right now is, not whether he can play in the NHL, because I think we all realize that he can play now, but at the same time, he will be even better next year, and dropping him back again gives you an extra year towards his 7 years before free agency. Why not let him develop a bit more and give yourself another year on the upswing in the NHL? I know people would like to see him up with the club, but another year won't hurt him, remember he didn't exactly shine last year in junior and did next to nothing in the World Juniors, so it's not like he would be out of place down there scoring 60 or 70 goals. He can still fit in nicely in junior, so let's just let him develop.

In the hypothetical situation that Lats gets a 5 games suspension and MTL sends him the junior, would he still be suspended at the start of the next year ??( giving that he would make the team then)

In the hypothetical situation that Lats gets a 5 games suspension and MTL sends him the junior, would he still be suspended at the start of the next year ??( giving that he would make the team then)

I was thinking of that as well and I believe yes he would still be suspended!

If he is suspended for a few games then he's suspended. If he is good enough to make the team, he should be on it. If it makes him 1 year closer to being a free agent then it's up to management to sign him long term before that happens. The one thing he brings to the line up, especially in the top 9 forwards is toughness and size, which is somwthing this team doesn't have.

Plus Perez and Kosty are basically the same player, i would have no problem trading 1 out west for a young D prospect in return.

I just caught the Lats hit on the highlights... IMO the hit was a bit late, but was definitely not from behind... I don't think they'll be any suspension.

The timing on the hit looks borderline -- Lats nails DiMaio one arguable second after the puck's moved.

And the check was a lateral one, not from behind.

Edited by MCeh

Plus Perez and Kosty are basically the same player, i would have no problem trading 1 out west for a young D prospect in return.

I touched the subject in the Rumour thread. The Canucks are seeking a rightwinger as the only have two right now. Nucks have two interesting defencemen. Luc Bourdon and Kevin Bieksa.

Bourdon might be the better of the two but Bieksa might be better suited for the Habs as he's a defensive defenceman.

I touched the subject in the Rumour thread. The Canucks are seeking a rightwinger as the only have two right now. Nucks have two interesting defencemen. Luc Bourdon and Kevin Bieksa.

Bourdon might be the better of the two but Bieksa might be better suited for the Habs as he's a defensive defenceman.

The knuckles are a little short on D too you know.... at least ones that can play in the big league now... believe me if Luc bourdon is ready for the NHL then he's playing in Vanc

The knuckles are a little short on D too you know.... at least ones that can play in the big league now... believe me if Luc bourdon is ready for the NHL then he's playing in Vanc

Agreed.

Bourdon is going nowhere and Vancouver isn't going to trade any of their defensemen, it's their weakest point considering how many they lost through trade and free agency.

The Canucks are short on every position but they barely have any right wingers at all. Tyler Bouck being the only one.

Bulis will probably play at the right wing if he's going to play with the Sedins and Matt Cooke would be the one changing side if he's going to play with Näslund and Morrison. But then there are no more forwards left in Vancouver.

But they do have a full set of defencemen.

Canucks team right now:

Left Wing

Näslund

Pyatt

Burrows

Sedin

Green

Center

Morrison

Linden

Sedin

Kesler

Cooke

Chouinard

Bulis

Rypien

Right Wing

Bouck

Defence

Öhlund

Salo

Krajicek

Bieksa

Mitchell

Tremblay

Fitzpatrick

And what do they have in the system? Jozef Balej...

Edited by ch_nl

The Canucks are short on every position but they barely have any right wingers at all. Tyler Bouck being the only one.

Bulis will probably play at the right wing if he's going to play with the Sedins and Matt Cooke would be the one changing side if he's going to play with Näslund and Morrison. But then there are no more forwards left in Vancouver.

But they do have a full set of defencemen.

Canucks team right now:

Left Wing

Näslund

Pyatt

Burrows

Sedin

Green

Center

Morrison

Linden

Sedin

Kesler

Cooke

Chouinard

Bulis

Rypien

Right Wing

Bouck

Defence

Öhlund

Salo

Krajicek

Bieksa

Mitchell

Tremblay

Fitzpatrick

And what do they have in the system? Jozef Balej...

None of them which I think they'd want to trade.

It's speculative. So how should Vancouver fix this problem as they are allready near the cap? They have to get someone cheap or make a salary dump. They might sign Scott Hartnell, but the rumor is that they seek a trade. And if they want a top line right winger they have to pay the price.

I think it would be stupid to let any of the "stars" go. The Sedins, Näslund, Salo, Morrison, Öhlund, Bulis, Kesler and Luongo won't leave.

Or where does it not make sense?

It's speculative. So how should Vancouver fix this problem as they are allready near the cap? They have to get someone cheap or make a salary dump. They might sign Scott Hartnell, but the rumor is that they seek a trade. And if they want a top line right winger they have to pay the price.

I think it would be stupid to let any of the "stars" go. The Sedins, Näslund, Salo, Morrison, Öhlund, Bulis, Kesler and Luongo won't leave.

Or where does it not make sense?

:?-

:king:

If Kostitsyn stays with the Habs, he'll make 800 000 $. However if Latendresse signs for around or less 500k, that'll be one more good incentive to keep him with the big club. Perezhogin and Higgins make around 650k, Plekanec 450k. If they sign Latendresse 500k, Jancevski around 700k and if we keep Perezhogin too, Habs payroll will be a bit less 43M. (Cap=44M) So if we trade Ribeiro or other players, we can't take a difference of more than 1M. Kostitsyn's contract might play againts him, as I guess Gainey values every dollar available and want to use it the better he can for the team.

Me too since its more of an openice hit by a guy who is about 0.5 shorter than the guy he levels.

0.5 shorter and 45 pounds lighter.

As Ribeiro said while joking about the hit during the post-game interview,...

'' I brought a new dimension to my game this season '' and then just laughts.

I was at the Bell that evening and it really happens fast...... people where double choked with plaisure,...

first when they reacted to this big white jersey hitting a wall at full speed....and then omayyy....when they

saw that the moving wall had been in fact Ribeiro...... there still standing straight like a post.

Carbo said that this pick will also be an organizational choice.

Here's what must be considered:

- The new UFA and arbitration ages are irrelevent. Top players will get top money regardless how; if not you will alienate the player and when he won't forget it when he is an actual UFA (ask Keenan and Luongo). The Habs will have 4 years after the initial contract to set up a long-term deal that will extend into his UFA years.

- Lats' age is no longer an issue. It might have been last year; but he's shown he has the maturity necessary. He's spent 5-6 weeks now with professionals (last 2 years) and he has impressed in almost every game (albeit in pre-season)

- Keeping Lats over Kosy gives the team more quality depth. If you send Kosy down, if there is an injury to a top line guy, you can call up Kosy and have a quality, offensively talented player to replace him. If Lats is sent down, all you have is Chippy, Ferland or Locke, none of which are equal to Lats or Kosy talent-wise.

- Also with depth, it gives you an extra player, Kosy, Zhog, or someone else that you can offer as a teaser for a trade for an upgrade in defense if you see one is necessary, if you keep Lats on the NHL roster.

- Lats gives you a demension that 1-the team doesn't necessarily have at the moment (a physical presence with a real, documented scorer's touch) and 2- that Kosy can't provide. (different playing styles)

- I read a quote this summer (I think it was Ecklund, actually) that said if the Habs could get just one player (francophone or not) to shoulder much of the attention, in a positive way, the other players will feel less burdened and may actually perform equal to their abilities. Damphousse, Recchi, V. Bure, they all performed better than we thought they ever could once they were traded away from the spotlight. As long as Lats can take the fans love and admiration, Koivu and Kovy can "coast" under the radar.

- Lats has seemed to earned the respect of his potential teammates. With Koivu's remarks and Komi's defense against T-Bay, it seems they might percieve him a more than ordinary rookie.

- Kosy has NHL-calibre talent and the maturity to now develop in the NHL rather than the AHL, that is no doubt. Next year with Bonk & Johnson gone, there will be room for him, so you gotta play a little with the roster so he stays in your organization. It's a long season, there will be injuries and it's good to keep your options open and having Kosy in the minors keeps many doors open.

I think Lats should be kept and I think the opening night line-up should be:

Higgins Koivu Ryder

Lats Ribs Kovy

Sammy Pleks Johsnon

Begin Bonk Perezhogin

Replace Zhog with Murray for the Toronto game (they always hit us hard) and try one of Sammy and Kovy at the point on the PP.

One thing is for sure though:

If they decide to keep Lats it has to be for the whole season; it would be stupid to lose one year of rights for a max. 10-game experiement.

If they decide to keep Lats it has to be for the whole season; it would be stupid to lose one year of rights for a max. 10-game experiement.

Read my post on waiver/junior player rules. If a player plays less than 11 games, you do NOT lose that extra year of eligibility. However, if he plays more than 10 games, then the rule of 4 years before he is non-exempt for waivers is reduced to 3 years.