Latendresse Stays In Montréal!

Jean

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bertuzzi

and I'm being serious

From what I've seen of Bertuzzi over the years in Vancouver and what I've heard of Lats, I would definitely have to agree with that comparison. I just hope Lats ends up with a better work ethic game in and game out.

I think his point total is not going to be the most important thing, however I can see 15 goals.

What I will be interested in is to see if Montreal finaly has that guy that will drive the net and block out goalies from seeing the puck. He only has to do this once in a while on the power play to be effective. IF this works every habs that has offensive abilities is going to want to play with him on the Power play. :P

Not going to read through this whole thread... but here are my thoughts:

Kostitsyn may have very well deserved a spot, but he he only really fits into the top 2 lines. These lines are pretty much full, and Latendresse likely looked much better on the 3rd line with Plekanec and Johnson. In my opininon, that line is going to be a hard one to play against for many teams since it has just about everything. (Player smarts, speed, size, 2-way ability, scoring, passing, etc)

Carbo and Gainey probably assured Kostitsyn that he'll get another opportunity this season when injuries occur. He's almost a shoe-in to get called up to play one of the top lines if something happens. He'll just have to go to Hamilton and light it up and prove he still deserves the call-up.

Looking forward to seeing Latendresse in the line-up on Saturday, that's for sure :D.

It was announced last night that the Habs were going to announce the final cut this morning instead of waiting on the final pre-season game to make a final decision.

Gee, what a no-brainer here. Yes, I wanted Kostitsyn in the line up. No secret there. Why? Well, if Latendresse went back to the junior he was THE guy for the team. With Brassard gone, this would be his real ultimate test for him. He'd be racking insane ice-time unlike the time he will get here.

Why was this choice a no-brainer? Well, it basically came down to needs and player qualities. Don't get me wrong, I like Latendresse as a player but the right place at the right time definitely helped him get the last spot. The Habs are currently depleted in defense with injuries. Picking up Traverse on waivers (just when you wish the waiver-draft was still around, maybe someone better could have been obtained) is a HUGE sign of the Habs missing quality defenders. If Cote wasn't injured, I'm pretty sure Traverse would be back in San Jose in the minors (a.k.a. Cleveland) but either way that's not the point. The Habs defensive unit won't be great at the start of the season with Souray (maybe, nothing confirmed yet) and Bouillon gone. How to fix this? Well, this means finding better defenders (ok, so much for that option) or getting forwards who are more responsible defensive. Obviously, that left the door wide open for Latendresse. Not so much for his skating (which is slowly improving), he can score and hit. He's a very agressive player that the Habs have been needing for years (and have done generally well despite not have that) and with the team's current defensive situation that gave him the BIG heads up over Kostitsyn.

While Kostitsyn is better offensive gifted player between the two, it's the main qualities in Latendresse that the Habs need for the start of the season. Not to mention, he can be more effective on the powerplay when it comes to obstructing the goalie views (sorry Mike Ribeiro, at least you tried). Either way, I'm not so worried about Kostitsyn, his spot in the team isn't far away.

two words......... Calder Trophy

To win the Calder, he'll have to bump Higgins off the first line.. and that looks impossible since Higgins might be our best player right now.

What could happen though is Koivu getting injured, and a line of Latendresse - Higgins - Ryder :o

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Finaly! Its done. No more not-getting-my-hopes-up. Hehehe!

Should be freakin' nice to watch the Habs this season. Unsuspecting players around the League are about to get Tenderized!!!

I screamed out loud when I read the thread title. :P

:blush:

Great move. It looks to me like Downey will be sent down to the Bulldogs (I expect him to clear waivers) and that Perezhogin gets traded. All I'm worried about is what we trade Zhog for since our forward lines are full. I guess we could get a 1st (average deal) for him or we can package up a d-man with him for a better d-man. Or could the Traverse claiming have something to do with another d-man sent packing via trade?

Meh, who cares. We've got Lats!

I wouldn't have expected it - but if it's true then I tip my hat to him......

Hopefully they send Downey packing - I think Murray offers more in my opinion?

However merely signing him doesn't mean he's there yet.... still a kid with great talent that hasn't been tried and proven true.

It's gonna be tough for him - he's no 'Guy' yet they are expecting that level of diety in Quebec.

I think there are some unrealistic expectations here that set him up for a fall from the throne......

gotta love this quote from the translated version!

"Latendress had become the whooping-cough of the partisans since last season. "

even if he is a 'Guy' of sorts, keep in mind that it took Guy Lafleur three years to hit high gear and Lafleur was 20 before he got to play with the Canadiens. Before that, he played another year with the Québec Remparts (Montreal's junior team?)

Guy Carbonneau himself played for three years in the minors after he was drafted before he spent a full year in Montreal.

Latendresse is coming in early compared to those two, the last a perennial star and the former a perennial superstar. I don't know how the media & public pressure was in the early 70's and early 80's but I'm willing to bet that there was more of an overt trust of the team's management at those times.

It's my hope that Latendresse isn't in the bigs at 19 due to an 'image' concern... I hope that it's due to an obvious evaluation of his talent, potential contribution to meet certain aspects of the team's needs.

I also hope that Kostitsyn will stay too... and Perezhogin too, for that matter.

I also hope that the snotty French press will keep their noses on their faces.......... NOT LIKELY!!!.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Alrighty, Mr. Latendresse, you played your way onto the team. Now show that you deserve to stay. I don't mean that as a pressure-type statement, it's just been a while since the Habs put a rookie at this age on the ice. Doesn't need to score in my book, work hard, show you're putting in the effort, and I'll be thrilled. The scoring will come in time.

even if he is a 'Guy' of sorts, keep in mind that it took Guy Lafleur three years to hit high gear and Lafleur was 20 before he got to play with the Canadiens. Before that, he played another year with the Québec Remparts (Montreal's junior team?)

Guy Carbonneau himself played for three years in the minors after he was drafted before he spent a full year in Montreal.

Latendresse is coming in early compared to those two, the last a perennial star and the former a perennial superstar. I don't know how the media & public pressure was in the early 70's and early 80's but I'm willing to bet that there was more of an overt trust of the team's management at those times.

It's my hope that Latendresse isn't in the bigs at 19 due to an 'image' concern... I hope that it's due to an obvious evaluation of his talent, potential contribution to meet certain aspects of the team's needs.

I also hope that Kostitsyn will stay too... and Perezhogin too, for that matter.

I also hope that the snotty French press will keep their noses on their faces.......... NOT LIKELY!!!.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I remember that very well, and have mentioned that before - in fact I can remember well when part way through his third season, there were some serious questions about him.

I don't see Latendresse ever matching Lafleur for talent, production or status - trouble is that the Quebec media and much of their French fan base is on a desperate hunt for a native son and that is not often a good recipe for success.

Personally I don't see Gainey bending to the fan or media in any situation - however if ownership interferes then? And I doubt that too....

Unfortunately the French press have a bad reputation and the truth is they've earned it!

And with their agendas in mind - I think this is a keg of dynamite waiting for a match.....

Edited by beliveau1

I remember that very well, and have mentioned that before - in fact I can remember well when part way through his third season, there were some serious questions about him.

I don't see Latendresse ever matching lafleur for talent, production or status - trouble is that the Quebec media and much of their French fan base is on a desperate hunt for a native son and that is not often a good recipe for success.

Personally I don't see Gainey bending to the fan or media in any situation - however if ownership interferes then? And I doubt that too....

Unfortunately the French press have a bad reputation and the truth is they've earned it!

And with their agendas in mind - I think this is a keg of dynamite waiting for a match.....

Remember when they slagged Koivu for taking too much ice away from Ribeiro? :lol::lol::lol: I guarantee we'll see something similar with Latendresse - the minute he starts to struggle, the pur laine in the press will start attacking...let's see...either Ryder (after all he IS the 'worst 30 goal scorer in hockey' :lol: ) or - more likely - Garth Murray. Anglo grinders are ALWAYS living on borrowed time as far as the more neanderthalic of the French Press are concerned. When Lats struggles, MURRAY will be blamed for eating up his ice. Remember, you heard it hear first!

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Excellent. Bert did cross my mind.

On another note. TSN is once again asleep at the switch. One of the most important signing the Habs have made in a long time and TSN is still in freakin' bed

Well you can't blame them. After all, they're still recovering from the Tie Domi retirement.

Remember when they slagged Koivu for taking too much ice away from Ribeiro? :lol::lol::lol: I guarantee we'll see something similar with Latendresse - the minute he starts to struggle, the pur laine in the press will start attacking...let's see...either Ryder (after all he IS the 'worst 30 goal scorer in hockey' :lol: ) or - more likely - Garth Murray. Anglo grinders are ALWAYS living on borrowed time as far as the more neanderthalic of the French Press are concerned. When Lats struggles, MURRAY will be blamed for eating up his ice. Remember, you heard it hear first!

ok start shootng the lines boys! SNIFFFFFF

Ryder-Koivu-Higgins

Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev

Latendresse-Johnson-Plekanec

Bonk-Begin-Perezoghin

Ryder-Koivu-Higgins

Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev

Bonk-Begin-Perezoghin

You know...I like the Bonk-Begin-Perezhogin idea. Since he doesn't seem to be much of a finisher or playmaker, maybe we can turn Perezhogin into a Begin-type...get him using that speed and solid body to run guys. We know he can hit hard....just ask Keith Primeau.

Well you can't blame them. After all, they're still recovering from the Tie Domi retirement.

:lol:

You know...I like the Bonk-Begin-Perezhogin idea. Since he doesn't seem to be much of a finisher or playmaker, maybe we can turn Perezhogin into a Begin-type...get him using that speed and solid body to run guys. We know he can hit hard....just ask Keith Primeau.

:lol:

No Perezhogin will never be a grinder/energy guy. He's in a slump. No need to give up on him yet.

Also he didn't hit Primeau hard he barely touched him. I don't even think Perexhogin was trying to hit Primeau.

No Perezhogin will never be a grinder/energy guy. He's in a slump. No need to give up on him yet.

Also he didn't hit Primeau hard he barely touched him. I don't even think Perexhogin was trying to hit Primeau.

He didn't.. he was skating backwards, about to rejoin the play...

Ryder-Koivu-Higgins

Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev

Bonk-Begin-Perezoghin

Good lines. My first thought was along those lines, except move Zhogs up to the third line and Johnson down.

Or to be creative, spread out Koivu, Kavalev and Samsonov on all three lines to mix up the scoring.

Ryder-Koivu-Higgins

Latendresse-Ribeiro-Kovalev

Samsonov-Plekanec-Perezhogin

Bonk-Begin-Murray

This news TOTALLY made my day!!! i had a tough start this morning at work... lots of stuff to do and all in RUSH! and then when i heard that tender signed... i felt soooooooooooooo happy!!! it was an amazing feeling hehehe :)

i'm happy for him, for the team and of course, for all of us : THE FANS!!

btw : is an expectation of 20 goals & 20 assists too high as first year in NHL production for Tender?

this is what i'm expecting from him... i dunno if it's too high or low or acceptable???

This news TOTALLY made my day!!! i had a tough start this morning at work... lots of stuff to do and all in RUSH! and then when i heard that tender signed... i felt soooooooooooooo happy!!! it was an amazing feeling hehehe :)

i'm happy for him, for the team and of course, for all of us : THE FANS!!

btw : is an expectation of 20 goals & 20 assists too high as first year in NHL production for Tender?

this is what i'm expecting from him... i dunno if it's too high or low or acceptable???

well... higgins hit just under 40 pts, so it's plausible. It should be noted that Higgins had time in the AHL and college.