Preseason Game Thread | Sens Vs. Habs | 09/30/06

Spider-Man NL

Ah this thread is just getting silly.. :D

Or should I say giddy with habs happy thoughts....... :rolleyes:

pretty much... im listening to a bit of the phone in show on CJAD after the game and people are ridiculously pumped... (except mr. ribeiro).

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW : did anyone of u saw that RDS trailer thing about the habs comeing season? like we can see carbo saying *GO GO GO*** and bégin saying *SHOOOOT* and koivu saying : *OUCH!!!***

i really like that trailer!!! :) very inspiring hehe

looks piraty i find

arrrrrg here comes thy habby's

My friend is over and I couldn't get the CJAD feed. W're having a couple of pops. Listened on CKAC and we played NHL on XBOX. I came to the computer and decided to go to TSN. I wasn't into the game thread. That's why I didn't know about the trade.

My habs spirit is soaring :D

I defended him a while back saying as long as he's a habs he deserves a fresh start. A second chance.

Now I don't have to worry about that nonsense :D

:hlogo: HAIL BOB

I am scared of seeing so many Sixes.....

100 & 2/3 beasts... that's a whole lot of names to give and/or memorize... :huh:

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Edited by shortcat1

I don't want to get carried away...after all, it is just one preseason game....BUT....Plekanec sure looked good between Samsonov and Kovalev.

He sure did...

interestingly, I'm already hearing some people say that he isn't really 2nd line material...

I wonder who'd be on the Canadiens team? :wacko::wacko::blink::blink::wacko::wacko:

Edited by shortcat1

He sure did...

interestingly, I'm already hearing some people say that he isn't really 2nd line material...

I wonder who'd be on the Canadiens team? :wacko::wacko::blink::blink::wacko::wacko:

I was ready for a Plekanec break out year when he was our #3 center. Now that he's between Kovalev and Samsonov I'm ready for a huge season from that line. Best second line in the league? Too early to tell. But on paper, it sure looks good.

In the highlights, Samsonov and Kovalev looked great by the way. Yet Huet still looks average. :mellow:

He sure did...

For the record, I have been saying that for two years. I still don't know what evidence people have that Pleks is a 2nd line center. He didn't have that kind of production in any level of hockey. He is a good two way center with potential to be great (it doesn't hurt to have Carbo as a coach) in that role.

Yes, he might get a decent number of points on a line with Kovy and Sammy, but that depends more on how they play this season then what he brings to the line. People were pretty pumped about Ribs between them too. Ribs and Kovy played well together last year and Samsonov was finally going to add the sniper to the mix that they were missing.

I still think this team will be more of a cup contender when we get a much better center to go with Koivu and Pleks goes back to be our number 3 center, where he will be prosper

We had a ton of depth at wing, but we were weak at center. This does not make us better at center, imo. I would not be surprised if Perez was the guy Gainey was offering at the start, that would make more sense. It would free up a spot for Lats and get a depth player at D. Better deal too, since Perez was essentially "depth on the wing", a fair trade for a declining depth defenseman.

For the record, I have been saying that for two years. I still don't know what evidence people have that Pleks is a 2nd line center. He didn't have that kind of production in any level of hockey. He is a good two way center with potential to be great (it doesn't hurt to have Carbo as a coach) in that role.

Tell that a guy ala Ryder, he also had a long way to go - who thought that this guy would be our best goal scorer?

I like Pleky playing on the 2nd - he's already very good defencively which is very important for such a line. And he has underrated offencive skills - I'm sure he can take the next step.

Tell that a guy ala Ryder, he also had a long way to go - who thought that this guy would be our best goal scorer?

I like Pleky playing on the 2nd - he's already very good defencively which is very important for such a line. And he has underrated offencive skills - I'm sure he can take the next step.

I whole heartedly agree... I've always been impressed by Pleks...

Plekanec is a responsible center who deserves the #2 center position. People are always negative about the unknown but that is the reality of Montreal's team. Saying Plekanec is not an upgrade over Ribero is just wrong. Ribero is a good passer that got points, but his center responsibilities were just a joke. Maybe he will get better over time but my money is on Plekanec.

Well you guys might be right, Pleks might surprise and be a great number two center.

All I am saying is that you are really "hoping" he will, since he never has been before. Ryder becoming a great scorer was a surprise too, but that doesn't mean Pleks will surprise. If you recall, Ryder was awesome from the moment he got on the team. Pleks played last year and looked like a number 3 center, not a number 2.

Don't confuse "hope" with "expectations". There has never been evidence that Pleks is a top offensive center, nor has there been expectation for that.

I fully expect a trade at some point to get us a top two center. If Pleks really breaks out this year as you hope, I will be very surprised. Very happy too. ;)

I wonder when Grabovski will be back. Does he have a two way contract? Can he come up once he is healthy and give it a go?

i dont know whether he has a two-way contract (which I understand as simply setting separate pay grades for nhl and ahl service), but he is definitely can come up to the big club once healthy.

Well you guys might be right, Pleks might surprise and be a great number two center.

All I am saying is that you are really "hoping" he will, since he never has been before. Ryder becoming a great scorer was a surprise too, but that doesn't mean Pleks will surprise. If you recall, Ryder was awesome from the moment he got on the team. Pleks played last year and looked like a number 3 center, not a number 2.

Don't confuse "hope" with "expectations". There has never been evidence that Pleks is a top offensive center, nor has there been expectation for that.

I fully expect a trade at some point to get us a top two center. If Pleks really breaks out this year as you hope, I will be very surprised. Very happy too. ;)

Why do you keep saying the same thing over and over and over? What proof do you have the Plekanec is a worse center than Ribero or anyone else? Also did you watch every game this guy has played since he was a kid?

Time to actually watch how much he does in the games that he plays in. Not every #2 center in the league is the most offensively gifted forward. The days of having a Forsberg/Sakic one two punch is long over. Plekanec is young so he has room to improve and given the fact that he now has guys that are actually good on offense will take any pressure there is for him to score. Most important for him to be on this line is to responsible on the defensive side of things as Samsonov and Kovalev are not known for defensive prowess. I like how easily you write off a second year player before he even has a chance.

I for one really thinks that Plek should be very effective between Sammy and Kovy.

GO PLEKS GO!!! GOOOO HAAABBBS GOOOO!!!! 6 days and counting.

:hlogo:

Why do you keep saying the same thing over and over and over? What proof do you have the Plekanec is a worse center than Ribero or anyone else? Also did you watch every game this guy has played since he was a kid?

Time to actually watch how much he does in the games that he plays in. Not every #2 center in the league is the most offensively gifted forward. The days of having a Forsberg/Sakic one two punch is long over. Plekanec is young so he has room to improve and given the fact that he now has guys that are actually good on offense will take any pressure there is for him to score. Most important for him to be on this line is to responsible on the defensive side of things as Samsonov and Kovalev are not known for defensive prowess. I like how easily you write off a second year player before he even has a chance.

I watched every single Habs game the last 5 years or so, plus most games the last 15.

I never wrote off Pleks, if you read my posts, I think very highly of him as a third line center. Third line is not worse then 2nd line. It is a differrent role, one in which I think Pleks has a great future in.

As for my "proof" about him. I don't need to prove anything. He does. All I am pointing out is you guys have far less proof for your "hopes" about pleks then I have for his role on the third line. Please, go read his stats. Compare them to Bonk, Ribs, Koivu, etc. Go read the TSN take on Pleks.

What did Pleks do last year to say he is going to be a great number 2 center (whose job it is to generate offense). He was given a shot last year when Ribs was "benched" and he did nothing. He was eventually put back to his old role.

Yes, he is going to get to play between Kovy and sammy to start the season, because there is no one better. That does not mean that he should. In my opinion, we need to get another center.

As for why I keep saying this, well, there are about 100 posts here raving about how this is such a great move, that Pleks is going to rock as the 2nd center, etc. Call me the voice of reason. :)

And again, I like Pleks a lot. I like Begin too, but I would not make him our number 2 center either. :)

As for why I keep saying this, well, there are about 100 posts here raving about how this is such a great move, that Pleks is going to rock as the 2nd center, etc. Call me the voice of reason. :)

Well you caught me on that one. I just noticed what you mentioned above and he does have much to prove with all the enthusiasm...which you are right. A little fun is sure to be in a fanatic forum like Habsworld. Call it post Ribero relief? :D

I have watched Montreal games for the last 34 years so La-Te-Da to your 5 years. :hockey: Voice of reason on being a Plekanec expert also does not work for me as it makes you believe you know more than all the other members here. We all have amature credentials in our player evaluations which really makes each and every one of us an expert. <_< ha, ya right.

It is always too hard to predict what a second year player will do as they are still learning. Plekanec now has his shot at a premier position which he will make the best of his opportunity. You may be right that he is a 3rd or 4th line center. I disagree though with his play in my backdoor (Hamilton) and what he has done so far in Habbyville, is that of a responsible 2 way center. Balanced lines won the cup last season if memory serves me.

Well, I was being modest. I started watching the Habs in the early seventies. I just didn't think it mattered much to the modern game.

My favs were Dryden and the road runne, for what its worth. :)

So.. basically, we both just proved we are old. :LOL

I don't think I know more then everyone else, I just am waiting for some reasonable arguement besides hope and he works hard to get all excited about him taking the 2nd line spot. I too hope he steps up and is awesome, but I wouldn't put money on it. :)

I think we should be realistic about the prospects on the team, otherwise we will turn into Leaf fans. :)

Oh by the way, the Hurricanes top three centers were Eric Staal, Rod Brindamour, and Doug Weight.

That is balanced scoring alright; all three are better then Ribs, let alone Pleks. Two are arguably better then Koivu. If we had that embarrassment of riches at center, ... well, you get the picture. :)