Ribeiro Traded To Dallas

mathieu30

well most of you guys think that we got a steal. I don't. niinima will give saku a new friend but I don't think he's that much of a team player. I mean, he got kicked out of the finish team during the world cup or the olympics, I don't remember.

now we have 4 potential UFA D men in june of 2007. wow !!

I just hope that that move will bring kostitsyn back up sooner than later.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing Niinimaa and Streit flip the 6-7 spots for awhile.

For those that question why Gainey would pay over 2 mill for a 7th defenseman, do realize he is already paying about the same amount for a 3rd/4th line center in Bonk. I don't expect any surprises from Niinimaa, positive or negative.

well most of you guys think that we got a steal. I don't. niinima will give saku a new friend but I don't think he's that much of a team player. I mean, he got kicked out of the finish team during the world cup or the olympics, I don't remember.

He had some problems with the coach and said that he won't play for him anymore.

For those that question why Gainey would pay over 2 mill for a 7th defenseman, do realize he is already paying about the same amount for a 3rd/4th line center in Bonk.

both of which have contracts expiring after this season.

Gainey is taking something of a risk in taking on Niinimaa after his injuries, but he could prove to be quite useful to the team. Unlike the other UFA-to-be defensemen on the Habs, he would most likely re-sign at a lower rate after his contract is complete.

Does anybody know to what degree a player can reduce their salary in exchange for a longer term. By this I mean, could BG renegotiate Niinimaa's contract to (let us say) 3.25 million over 2 years rather than 2.5 over 1?

I'm a little worried. Niinimaa is a huge metal fan, and Montreal has a pretty big metal scene. When he was in Philadelphia, didn't he skip practice to go to a free Metallica concert across the street?

Seriously though, I was expecting a possible trade, but in mid-season, not pre-season.

The last of the three amigos is finally gone. :king:

This is fantastic news and I am more excited for the season to start than ever before. Second line center will be Plekanec's to loose and I don't think he will. Plekanec is more than capable to fill that role.

Thank you Dallas! You think you traded away a problem defenceman? Guess what you got in return B)

The only question remaining for me is, what do we do with all these defencemen? Does Bouillon become number 7 when he returns? Is Streit done in Montreal? Is Souray going to be traded? (and if so, for what?)

I can't wait!

FINALLY!!!

I've disliked Ribs on our team for AGES. I literally jumped up and down when I heard he was shipped out for a solid defenceman.

(Funny that I took Niinimaa in my Hockey Pool draft 2 nights ago... lol)

For everyone who hated Ribs, I guess you got what you wished for. Hope it doesn't come back to bite you. :)

As for Niinimaa, I think this says more about what Gainey and Carbo think of our defensive prospects then what they think about Ribs. If Niinimaa improves our defense, it shows how weak we were (unless Gainey is hoping for a miracle)

I also wonder about the timing. They sign Lats (french canadian hero) and then get rid or Ribs (previous French Canadian hero). I never thought Gainey really cared about that stuff, but I now suspect that even Gainey is not up for a fight with the French media. Imagine if he sent Lats down and traded Ribs... yikes.

I'm a little worried. Niinimaa is a huge metal fan, and Montreal has a pretty big metal scene. When he was in Philadelphia, didn't he skip practice to go to a free Metallica concert across the street?

I guess now he wishes he wouldv'e been traded a week earlier to see megadeth in MTL :P

scandinavians have many great metal bands. heard that kiprusoff listens to hard core stuff before a game. I guess it's a better way to pump up before the game then some crappy U2 songs

I also wonder about the timing. They sign Lats (french canadian hero) and then get rid or Ribs (previous French Canadian hero). I never thought Gainey really cared about that stuff, but I now suspect that even Gainey is not up for a fight with the French media. Imagine if he sent Lats down and traded Ribs... yikes.

It's one thing for BG to not care about the ethnic composition of the team, and quite another for him to understand that other people do. That Ribeiro was traded after Latendresse signed for the year is no coincidence, IMO.

Well, there goes the last of that triumvirate.

New character to the team. I trust that it'll be for the better.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

the House is cleaned - put away the broom.....

Go away for a day and Bob pulls one off - lovin' it!

Opens room for the youth, takes away a problem child, and shores up the defence!

As for showing we have a weak defence - the ones in the system are still young and not ready for primetime just yet. This adds a dependable veteran that takes the pressure off young guys. That means they're no longer expected to develop too fast, or are put into the lineup before they're ready. Adding a vet is part of any good transition plan, especially when it comes to defenceman!

Bob is on the job......

Edited by beliveau1

I'm in tears. We just lost our S-U-P-E-R-S-T-A-R-!-!-!

I wonder if the RDS broadcast crew will be holding a wake for their departed hero.

Don't worry Colin, I feel your pain :(

:lol: How did the RDS crew react? How does a confusion suit your boat? I was listening to the show and the anchorman was talking to a correspondant at the Bell Centre live and all you hear is "Oh Luc, we just got information Mike Ribeiro was traded to Dallas for Janne Niinimaa" and both of them had no clue what to say or to do.

from http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?show...amp;hl=niinimaa

that post was from Oct 17, 2005.

DALHAB FOR HW NOSTRADAMUS!!!

WEEEEE :P okok next call... Bonk for Joe Thornton... :D

Seriously.. I like the trade since we got another Dman now that we need one badly (I dont want Traverse to play one single shift this season). Hopefully we wont miss Ribs.

Don't know on this one - Ribiero is pretty young and Ninimaa isn't in the prime of his career, last year he had a real tough time adjusting to the new rules.

But on the other hand, you guys aren't realizing how good he was for a long period of time. On the Island, him, Roman Hamrlik, Adrian Aucoin and Kenny Jonsson regularly logged 25 mins a night. He was also a real good player while on the Oilers I recall.

Hey I never thought about that. Good call as it is probably something that entered the equation. Latendresse is not shy and will probably be a media sweetheart for RdS. And it deflecs trading away someone who is liked by some. Personally I don't care where a player comes from as long as they WIN!

Ribeiro was constantly bashed by everyone, even Habs fans themself, and they had some reason to do so...everyone has their own opinions.

Ribeiro even frusterated me sometimes...I feel extremely badley for him though, I could tell how badley he wanted to stay in MTL and play for his home team.

I have a feeling that was going to rebound this year too..

Good luck Ribs.

Ribeiro was a strange bird.......great vision, creativity and passing skills.......but he was missing one crucial element that limited his usefullness has an offensive player.

Had he possesses but one extra skill among his owns,....either some speed, or a good set shots, or more masses and strenght,....he would then have been more of a shure thing.....but his limitations mandated a carefull selection of linemates for him to know some success.

We have seem players of similar profile having descent lenghted carrer........it all depended on their luck to

get connected with the wright players.

According to Begin Ribeiro was about to enter the saison better prepared than he had seen him previously,....

yet I wont be missing him........not after withnessing Plekanec playing with Sam and Kovy......as it was rather obvious, it seems to me, that Plekanec was better equiped to create a higher level of synergie than Ribeiro could have ever managed to get with the 2 russians.

According to Begin Ribeiro was about to enter the saison better prepared than he had seen him previously,....

yet I wont be missing him........not after withnessing Plekanec playing with Sam and Kovy......as it was rather obvious, it seems to me, that Plekanec was better equiped to create a higher level of synergie than Ribeiro could have ever managed to get with the 2 russians.

I think it is unfair to judge him based on the line's performance in the pre-season. It was pretty obvious the his line-mates were taking it super easy. The question is was Ribeiro's ship sunk on purpose by Kovalev and Samsonov? They could have played harder to make him look good, because they knew Ribeiro was on the bubble. I doubt it though.

I hope Ribeiro has a great season/career. I just think that his time was done here ... the media made him in to something he wasn't, and I think this affected his playing. In Dallas he'll be a nobody unless he makes a name for himself. As someone else has written, I hope the Quebec media doesn't sink Latendress' ship, but I think that would be asking too much.

I think it is unfair to judge him based on the line's performance in the pre-season. It was pretty obvious the his line-mates were taking it super easy. The question is was Ribeiro's ship sunk on purpose by Kovalev and Samsonov? They could have played harder to make him look good, because they knew Ribeiro was on the bubble. I doubt it though.

I hope Ribeiro has a great season/career. I just think that his time was done here ... the media made him in to something he wasn't, and I think this affected his playing. In Dallas he'll be a nobody unless he makes a name for himself. As someone else has written, I hope the Quebec media doesn't sink Latendress' ship, but I think that would be asking too much.

My speculation about Plekanec being a better match to Sam and Kovy was mostly based on my appreciation

of the type of players I perceive them to be and my feel about what work best offensivelly speaking in the NHL.

Althought I have seen the pair matched up with Ribs at the ACC, with Corey Locke at the Bell and Plekanec again at the Bell,...I agree about those pre-saison games giving an un-even ground for evaluation.

My favoring of Plek is simple thought,....Pleks has Ribeiro's playmaking ability BUT got speed on top of it....this is not only my perception but it is how Carbo described his new offensive center after the trade,....this alone would make him a more suitable partner (specially to Samsonov that might never had a partner that could keep up with him).

Ribs could do very well in Dallas specially with a slower hulkier winger like Lindros.....I hope he will.

Ribiero sank his own ship. Hope they like his earing and look-at-me attitude in Dallas. Tool.