Is Higgins Really that good?

Personally, I don't think so.

I'd rather he be our 3rd line centre in the future, playing gritty hockey and shutting down the other team's line than 2nd line scorer.

But anyway, what's your opinion?

Is Higgins really going to be that good?

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

Personally, I don't think so.

Based on what?

I think he is that good . I dont expect him to become a superstar player (no one does) , but I do expect him to become a quality 1-2 line player , he is the type of player who is pretty much guaranteed to become an NHL (Because of the style he plays and his ability to play strong offense and defense) , his ceiling is a top-2 line player and his basement is a 3-4th liner.

Their are alot of Chris Higgins comparisons out there (Chris Drury , Brian Rolston , Mike Fisher) .... He's a mix of them all , but Higgins isnt exactly like any one of them. 2 of the things that I like most about Chris are his good attitude (good upbringing) and the fact that he is thick bodied (He may be 5'11 but the guy is built well)

Wooo... Drury, Rolston?

Drury is a crafty offensive go-to player with some of the best 1-on-1 moves in the league.

Rolston is a versatile 2-way powerforward who can produce on any line.

Higgins will be a Mike Fisher: a nice little dynamic and complete 2-way center. That's what he was drafted for, that's his NHL potential, and that's what fans should expect from him. No more, no less.

Its getting old how Habs fans put prospects on pedestals so fast. Then when their impossible hopes are not met within 2 seasons, they are ready to dump the poor kid for an 8th rounder.

:nono:

Chill out guys, you're just setting yourselves up for MAJOR dissapointment.

Originally posted by KoZed

Wooo... Drury, Rolston?

Drury is a crafty offensive go-to player with some of the best 1-on-1 moves in the league.

Rolston is a versatile 2-way powerforward who can produce on any line.

Higgins will be a Mike Fisher: a nice little dynamic and complete 2-way center. That's what he was drafted for, that's his NHL potential, and that's what fans should expect from him. No more, no less.

Its getting old how Habs fans put prospects on pedestals so fast. Then when their impossible hopes are not met within 2 seasons, they are ready to dump the poor kid for an 8th rounder.  

:nono:

Chill out guys, you're just setting yourselves up for MAJOR dissapointment.

How many times do I have to explain to you what comparisons are? :guru:

I'm simply comparing styles-of-game for Higgins , I'm certainly not saying he's going to be the next Chris Drury.....

I'm simply comparing styles-of-game for Higgins ,

How can you compare Higgins' style to Drury and Rolston, when Drury and Rolston's style dont even compare to each other????

*sighs*

Enough of this. I'm already starting to hate Higgins because some guys overhype him way too much.

If Higgins turns out to be as good a player as Mike Fisher has for the Sens then I, for one, will be one happy camper. I also concur with KoZed: keep those expectations in check. Remember Doug Wickenhieser?

Go :hlogo:s Go! :/)

How can you compare Higgins' style to Drury and Rolston, when Drury and Rolston's style dont even compare to each other????

*sighs*

Enough of this. I'm already starting to hate Higgins because some guys overhype him way too much.

Whats your point?

Of course Drury/Rolston play different styles , we're not comparing those 2 . All I'm saying is that part of Higgins game looks like Rolston and another part like Drury.

Nothing wrong with saying that.

It's so hard to say ''this player will never be this good, or he can't be this bad''....

He's fast, intense, has a good sense of hockey and most of all is willing to learn and improved a lot in a year; but which of his attributes will he develop the most?

Can't wait to see him in action.

So if he makes the team, I guess one of Juneau/Ribeiro will have to take their turn... Or he'll just play once every few games and we'll rotate him with struggling players. (Like Juneau)

Which rookie has the best shot at making the team?

Perreault didn't do too bad as 3rd line centre at the end of the season.

I don't particularily like Juneau (he was only good in Washington and Ottawa), so losing him for free would be a plus.

Higgins won't make the team out of training camp unless Koivu is injured, Juneau is traded, and one of Bulis/Kilger is playing wing. Perreault-Ribeiro-Higgins-?

Hmm.

Oh well. Maybe Perry will get a chance (is he wing or centre?) ((Perry is a nickname for Perezhogin... well, it's better than "Zhog"))

First time poster here, so be easy on me.

I used to think Higgins would be nothing more than a quality 3rd liner. I now believe he'll become a very good 2nd line forward. While he'll have the talent to play on the first line, he'll probably find his role on the second line.

I have to say that I really love his 2-way game. It will be great to have some well-rounded top lines that can score and not be a liability defensively.

• 2 years later...

Interesting old Thread... hehe.

Being 2 years old, and Higgins now playing for the Habs... Thing is, has this question really even been answered yet?

We know that Higgins has played a good checking role w/ Begin, and he has also done a good job when he played on the 2nd line with Ribs and Ryder.

Just thought I'd bring this thread back from the dead.

[Edited on 5/12/05 by Macaskill]

That’s amazing I started to read the posts (not looking at the beginning dates and started to think TheAussiePosse and Markov79 were living in a cave when typing Juneau) Anyways I think Higgins has done very well and yes he is in good shape (lowest body fat on the team).

I think he will be a very solid 3rd line centre or 2nd line winger.

I believe he will gain more confidence with his offensive ability and put more pucks in the net. All in all a very good draft pick that I hope continues to work hard every shift.

I see Higgins a decent 2nd line winger who plays the defensive role on the line or a very good 3rd line winger. I can't say he would be a great 2nd line winger because great 1st & 2nd line wingers have to be very good offensively and I think he's decent offensively.

I prefer seeing him as a great 3rd liner who brings 15 goals a year once he's matured in the NHL.

Depending on future trades, we have Kovalev, Zednik, Ryder, Perezhogin, Latendresse and Kostitsyn as 1st and 2nd line wingers which I believe most if not all have better offensive upside then Higgins.

I like is grit, energy and 2 way skills, so stick him on the 3rd line and eventually get rid of Sundstrom. Nothing against Sunny, but we have to make room for players and BG will soon have to make decisions with all those above mentionned wingers, we have too many:/)

I know I'm dreaming, but there are rumors that Marleau might be available because they now have 2 #1 centers and might be looking for a cheaper offensive 2nd line center and get that cheaper center and wingers and/or D in return. Ribs, and something else for Marleau would be a BG miracle.

He would have given me my best x-mas gift:)

Originally posted by Komisarek the Cruncher

I see Higgins a decent 2nd line winger who plays the defensive role on the line or a very good 3rd line winger. I can't say he would be a great 2nd line winger because great 1st & 2nd line wingers have to be very good offensively and I think he's decent offensively.

I prefer seeing him as a great 3rd liner who brings 15 goals a year once he's matured in the NHL.

Depending on future trades, we have Kovalev, Zednik, Ryder, Perezhogin, Latendresse and Kostitsyn as 1st and 2nd line wingers which I believe most if not all have better offensive upside then Higgins.

I like is grit, energy and 2 way skills, so stick him on the 3rd line and eventually get rid of Sundstrom. Nothing against Sunny, but we have to make room for players and BG will soon have to make decisions with all those above mentionned wingers, we have too many:/)

I know I'm dreaming, but there are rumors that Marleau might be available because they now have 2 #1 centers and might be looking for a cheaper offensive 2nd line center and get that cheaper center and wingers and/or D in return. Ribs, and something else for Marleau would be a BG miracle.

What about Koivu for our top 6? And Plekanec?

I see Higgins as a third liner who can play on the second line when a team needs scoring or in case of injury.

Can you imagine a Higgins-Chipchura-Plekanec line? No I'd rather see Pleky as a second line center.

I've been impressed by Higgins hard work especially in the offensive corners digging out the puck, cycling and getting a few decent chances.....I think he'd benefit a guy like Zed who seems to be a bit slower of late (perhaps because of the injury) in creating chances.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie
Originally posted by Komisarek the Cruncher

What about Koivu for our top 6? And Plekanec?

I see Higgins as a third liner who can play on the second line when a team needs scoring or in case of injury.

Can you imagine a Higgins-Chipchura-Plekanec line? No I'd rather see Pleky as a second line center.

Plekanec and especially Koivu are centers, the guys I mentionned in my 1st post are wingers as indicated in my comment. I like Plekanec, but I'm not sure I see im as our 2nd line center...but you never know.

As for a 3rd line of Higgins-Chipchura-Plekanec, what would be wrong with that? Any difference from Bulis-Bonk-Sundstrom? All 6 guys are good 2 way players (assuming Chipchura becomes what he's predicted to become) with not that much offensive punch to them, some but not a lot. In a near future, I would like to see Bulis-Plekanec-Higgins...now that would be an interesting 3rd line. With Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev and Latendresse-?-Ryder and Begin-Chipchura-? on the 4th line, we would have a great team. That means that Ribeiro, Zednik and Kostitsyn can be traded for that good 2nd line center and D. That's how I see our team going towards to, but that's just me...BG is the man in charge.

Do I love Higgins, man oh man. Grit, smart, willing to learn and always, always working hard. Great kid. If only Ribs had Higgins' head on his shoulders..