Kovalev Bashing

Say, I'm getting fed up with all the preseason commentaries by so-called 'experts' saying that Kovalev 'needs to do more' for the Habs. They point to his 65 points and say, 'he's capable of more.' (The latest culprit is Canoe! hockey, which says exactly this). These infinitely knowledgeable commentators overlook the slightly salient fact that Kovalev was HURT for 20 games last year. Here's his numbers:

69 GP

23 G

42 A

65 Points

So, a point-a-game guy. Wow, what a disappointment.

I wish these 'analysts' would either check their facts or shut their yaps.

Also, anyone who expects Kovy to 'be more consistent' at this phase of his career is insane. Gainey knew exactly what he was getting with this guy: a game-breaker who fades into the woodwork at times but, more often than not, comes through.

Sorry - just had to vent.

If Kovy played at the top of his ability every night, he'd content for the scoring championship every year. I agree with all the pundits who say he needs to give more.

I agree too. A point a game in the new NHL for a guy of his talent is not good enough.

He needs to pull a Jagr and start playing like he wants to again. Look at how well Jagr did last year after coasting for so long.

Look at the stats

His best year was 00-01 and if I'm not mistaken that was the year Mario came back. That year he had 95 points. He hasn't been anywhere near that. aka I think he's peaked.

05-06 65 points

03-04 45 points

02-03 77 points

01-02 76 points

00-01 95 points

99-00 66 points

98-99 53 points

97-98 53 points

So 00-01 was an a fluke really. He was paired with Jagr and Mario of course his numbers would be sky high.

So if you look at the stats if he doesn't get injured and plays every game he's a 70 point person.

Critism is unwarrented.

Look at the stats

His best year was 00-01 and if I'm not mistaken that was the year Mario came back. That year he had 95 points. He hasn't been anywhere near that. aka I think he's peaked.

05-06 65 points

03-04 45 points

02-03 77 points

01-02 76 points

00-01 96 points

99-00 66 points

98-99 53 points

97-98 53 points

So 00-01 was an a fluke really. He was paired with Jagr and Mario of course his numbers would be sky high.

So if you look at the stats if he doesn't get injured and plays every game he's a 70 point person.

Critism is unwarrented.

Looking at the numbers, you're right. But when you watch him play you see that he's every bit as good as Jagr is and should be putting up equally big numbers. But he isn't. Maybe now that he's on a good line he'll put up another 90 point season. If he gets 60-70 points again this year, then I'll call it his attitude.

Carbonneau's advice: he needs to stop picking the corners all the time - Brett Hull once told him (Carbo) to stop looking for the corners, just get it on net; aim for the middle of the net. And Carbo says that that's what Kovalev needs to do.

And yet Ribs, who has had 51 and 65 point seasons and makes half of what Kovy gets paid, is called useless.

I don't know why Kovy gets a free ride. He does underperform, consistently. He floats, is lazy, and is always trying for the pretty play. He causes turn overs all the time too.

Ribs has issues that prevent him from reaching his potential, and so does Kovalev. Worse, I think Kovalev has way more potential then Ribs, and yet does not really do much better, most seasons. He really needs to step up to reach his potential.

On the other hand, perhaps we should just resign ourselves to the fact that he is a 70 point guy and pay him accordingly. :)

aka I think he's peaked.....Critism is unwarrented.

Good point there PTG. What I give Kovalev credit for is his experience. He still holds on to the puck too long but he's truly growing in other aspects of the game. His flaws seem to be (very slowly, but it's there) fading away. I like that. :D

Hopefully he can stay healthy this year. He's a machine. Talk about arguably the best at turning a D inside out. Stickhandling? Arguably the best. Awesome. :hlogo:

There is another thing people forget about Kovalev. He is a perfect fit for Montreal to take pressure off of other guys. If we didn't have Kovalev, Koivu wouldn't get away from the media as fast. Kovalev is a good media deflection guy.

I think he does better this year. Ribeiro and Zednik both had inconsitent seasons. Remember Ribeiro saying Ryder would score more if he could get his beautiful passes right?

Maybe Kovalev Plekanec and Samsonov click - BIGTIME

39 MINUTES TO GO AND THE SEASON IS ON!

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

If he plays exactly the same as last year, he'll put up roughly a point per game. So if he plays 82 games, that would be around 82 points or so, maybe more, maybe less. However, if he gives it his all every game and plays a full season, 90+ points should be easy for him to attain.

1. Lazy

2. Fast( but doesn't use it)

3. Amazing Talent (goes for the looks also)

4. 4.5 million..wow

5. We all love him...

6. Needs to battle more for pucks

Now that shows what he is bad at and one of the main things are LAZINESS he does use his legs but rarly. Wtv i don't mind having him on our team and he did alright last season. Even between RIbs so well see what this season brings.

Yes he's a point per game but its those 2 goal night 1 goal 2 assist nights that will continue to elude him until he gets a wing man.

Plus the guy is injury prone.

Injury prone?! Where on Earth did you get that idea from? Aside from his knee thing last year, he hasn't had a significant/serious injury in YEARS!

Kovalev is somewhat of an enigma - he has all the talent in the world to dominate, yet has never put it together in a truly consistent manner. You see flashes of absolute brilliance from game to game and even shift oshift that turns to mediocre invisibilty.

I think their pretty accurate in that assesment - he's capable of far more than he actually produces regularly.

If Carbonneau can solve that riddle then lookout....

Ribiero on the other hand is an orange being compared to a fully ripened apple!

Edited by beliveau1

That's exactly true.

Kovalev has never really become a true superstar in this league because he simply doesn't show up to play often enough. He's got all the talent in the world, but he doesn't use it consistently.

He does seem to thrive on big games. He's been a key contributor to whatever modest recent playoff success we've had - that alone puts him in a different league than Ribeiro. That and the fact that he has talents which clearly make him more effective in the new NHL.

Though, I wouldn't build a team strategy around Kovalev showing up for every shift - which is another reason why hard working Plekanec may end up complimenting him nicely.

And yet Ribs, who has had 51 and 65 point seasons and makes half of what Kovy gets paid, is called useless.

I don't know why Kovy gets a free ride. He does underperform, consistently. He floats, is lazy, and is always trying for the pretty play. He causes turn overs all the time too.

Ribs has issues that prevent him from reaching his potential, and so does Kovalev. Worse, I think Kovalev has way more potential then Ribs, and yet does not really do much better, most seasons. He really needs to step up to reach his potential.

On the other hand, perhaps we should just resign ourselves to the fact that he is a 70 point guy and pay him accordingly. :)

Ribs had an attitude problem. He flopped like a dying fish insulting the uniform he was wearing. He went around proclaiming to some that he was the best player on the team by far (I know, I know, "source?" Sorry, can't give it.) He was a cancer in the dressing room, caused problems with the heart and soul of the team...

I could go on.

He was as professional as a fart.

Kovy at least has the right attitude. He might be lazy at times, hell, he might be a giant enigma, but he still plays without pretense. There's a difference between confidence in your abilities (Kovy) and abject cockiness. A huge difference.

Here's the fact

This guy controls the game

When he has the puck, he chews up minutes, gets defenders tired and puts up a point per game

And i am the only guy who remembers what happened when he got hurt last year?

We played under .500 and dropped out of the top 8 in the east

We need him bad

Plus, anyone who can destroy tucker like he did with that elbow deserves to be in the hall of fame!

that might be a bit much, but it was an awsome hit

Here's the fact

This guy controls the game

When he has the puck, he chews up minutes, gets defenders tired and puts up a point per game

And i am the only guy who remembers what happened when he got hurt last year?

We played under .500 and dropped out of the top 8 in the east

We need him bad

Plus, anyone who can destroy tucker like he did with that elbow deserves to be in the hall of fame!

that might be a bit much, but it was an awsome hit

Yes he does - but not night in and night out.

He shows ever so brief flashes of just that, and then you wonder where he goes some times?

But when he does put it all together you have exactly what you described.

Problem is it isn't as consistent as it should be.

Ribs had an attitude problem. He flopped like a dying fish insulting the uniform he was wearing. He went around proclaiming to some that he was the best player on the team by far (I know, I know, "source?" Sorry, can't give it.) He was a cancer in the dressing room, caused problems with the heart and soul of the team...

I could go on.

He was as professional as a fart.....

oh man that's a great one liner!!!!!! I'm dying of laughter on that one right now.....

and that fart reeked from time to time!

The guy's not there all the time but he shows up when it counts. He's as clutch as anybody and that shows that he wants to win. He could very possibly be the most valuable part of our team.

Got to say this much... for what its worth... YOu preffer a Guy to shine during the playoffs or just during the season? cause it aint easy to do both! People seem to think that superstar players are just gifted and rely on the same amount of energy to do the super plays that another mediocre player does! remember Kovalev might well be playing into his late 30's where as a Guy like Begin that gives his all will probably have to be forced out due to injuries... both are concensious desicions and we have got to face them! Yes Kovalev could play with as much energy as Begin but that would increase his chances of getting hurt... because with that amount Kovy would do perhaps twice as much as Begin because he's that good! I preffer him saving it for the playoffs!

Got to say this much... for what its worth... YOu preffer a Guy to shine during the playoffs or just during the season? cause it aint easy to do both! People seem to think that superstar players are just gifted and rely on the same amount of energy to do the super plays that another mediocre player does! remember Kovalev might well be playing into his late 30's where as a Guy like Begin that gives his all will probably have to be forced out due to injuries... both are concensious desicions and we have got to face them! Yes Kovalev could play with as much energy as Begin but that would increase his chances of getting hurt... because with that amount Kovy would do perhaps twice as much as Begin because he's that good! I preffer him saving it for the playoffs!

There is a great deal of difference between playing with energy and consistency - there have been a litany of athletes in all sports like Kovalev. Guys that have a ton of natural born talent and yet you just aren't sure which version shows up from night to night.

He's still a great player in my books, but one that has the potential to be even better?