Habs @ Flyers - Jan. 20th/04

jl.roberts

DOMINANCE tonite... havent seen that in a while against phillies.... i would of liked to see ribeiro take that penalty(i know it has to be the guy tripped)...

habsworld punked my avatar hehehe i love it

:hlogo:4life

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow! nice win by the habs!

BTW, congrats to jlroberts and dalhabs who predicted 2 goals for Richard Zednik! hehe

Everything is going well for the Habs, like at the beginning of the season. Lets just hope the puck keeps rolling on our side and the players stay focused and continue to play harder every game. If the players start to feel too confortable, then it will be a disaster (again). They have to stay focused on the little things and play a great executions' game.. all those little things (especially the PP) give us wins and with Theo, nobody can stop us!:ghg:

[Edited on 2004-1-21 by sakiqc]

Admittedly, the Flyers weren't at their best tonight, but let's be completely honest here, the Habs went into Philly and played just about the perfect road game. Were there any passengers for this one? Did anyone play a bad game? This kind of effort has *got* to be extremely gratifying for Julien and the coaching and management staff. Heck, I don't think there are too many habs fans out there who aren't extremely pleased.

There were still a couple of issues that were exposed, though. First of all, we were dominated, quite badly at times, down low. There's still a size issue, particularly down the middle and on defence apart from Souray, Komi and Quint. Tonight it didn't kill us, but this was a Flyer team not running on all cylinders.

~~

Notes:

Theo: I was getting a little nervous in the first when he didn't seem able to handle anything out of his crease. His puck movement tonight was some of the worst I've seen from him all year, however in the net...well, what can I, or anyone, say. Purdy. A

Bouillon: If anyone is asking themselves if there was someone who was supposed to take his spot, though they can't put their finger on the name, then you're absolutely correct. Hainsey who? Bouillon is getting better and better and while he's small, he plays bigger than many defensemen in the game. A-

Rivet: Nothing special, but that's good. Means he played his own game. B

Brisebois: He made one pass up through the middle in the first that drove me nuts. After that, he was careful and extremely solid. B+

Komisarek: Much *much* better game. He looked like a changed player tonight making the smart play, moving the puck well, cutting out plays before they started. I'm not saying he was perfect, but this was pleasant to see. B-

Quintal: His size in games like this is so useful. And when he plays that positional game, the faster guys don't have nearly the chances. B

Souray: Except for the Christmas gift he gave to Brashear...LOL Nice to see a good comeback game. He's become so patient on the puck as well. B+

Langdon: Well, not quite a regular shift, but he did see the ice in the third, and that's a bonus round for him. B-

Dackell: Seemingly demoted to the fourth line, yet still an effective player out there. Perhaps not as strong as some others, but again tonight he did those little things well. B-

Perreault: That's about as feisty as I've seen him in a dog's age. Heck, he even scored a goal - though it was called off. Nice work from a fourth line centre. B-

Sundstrom: I think we're only now starting to see the Sunny we should have seen from the beginning. He's starting to come out of his shell and his play is really picking up. B

Juneau: Strong game at both ends, really. Perhaps he's overmatched in some games like this, but I felt he played within his means and did his job well. B+

Dagenais: My one disappointment fo the night, he seemed to fall to the wayside when the going got tough. Furthermore, when someone on his line did get the puck deep (okay, it wasn't all that often) he didn't get to his usual spots. C-

Zednik: Can we petition the league for the ability to decline the penalty shot and instead take the two minutes? THAT WAS DISMAL. LOL Fortunately, he made up for it with the rest of his game. A-

Ribeiro: He really does excel on the power play. That deft touch to Zed on the first goal was sublime. His second assist was a wonderful cross-ice pass to Ryder (to Zed eventually) and was also sweet. And...no wait, lemme do that right. *AND* he played decently defensively again. Two in a row and he's looking better and better. A-

Bulis: Really made things happen tonight with his never-say-die work ethic. He cause Weinrich to take the 4:00 penalty, scored a goal, hit a post, was a tireless forechecker. Made some outstanding defensive plays as well. A-

Ryder: Honestly, I can't look at him as a rookie anymore; he just doesn't play like one. A three point game and another really solid contest. Totally underrated vision as well. A

Koivu: Typical game from the captain as he crushed opponents, played tirelessly on the defense, with vision on the PP and well everywhere else. A

Ward: Okay, I left him until last. I'm going to admit to everyone and say how astounded I am with his play in the last couple of games. If he can keep this up, I really do think he's a legitimate third liner and not an AHL guy. NEVER EVER on the top two lines, because really, he's not an NHL quality scorer, but I will accept, *if* the type of play he gave tonight continues, that he's earned that spot. Sheesh, he was all over the place, and this time not with reckless abandon. He was controlled and smart. A-

~~

Nice touch at the end when Sax went up to Theo in the handshakes and (this is what it looked like with my limited lip-reading skills) apologized for the team letting him down and not helping get his shutout. Can we once and for all close the 'is he a legitimate captain' debate?

Off to the swamp to play the Devils. I'll tell you this, if we play the way we did tonight, we'll give them a good game. Should be fun to watch as well, not because it's two trap teams going at it, but because it's the two best goalies in hockey at the moment going at it. I expect to see some wonderful saves. And a bonus, we've given them something to think about since we actually have two scoring lines that can challenge.

A Concerned Fan

Way to go Habs, its about time they beat the Flyers.

Just 6 points out of first in the East! Amazing.

The only thing bad about the win was that everyone on head of them won as well..

Ryder another great game, he always breaks out after Christmas and seems like he's gonna do the same this year. As for the All Star if he can keep putting up big numbers he may be the only rookie playing in the big game. If not he wont be taking part in the all star weekend at all, because he's not in his rookie contract he cant play in the young star game.....What a stupid rule, a rookies a rookie.

:ghg:

Originally posted by Puck

REALLY REALLY REALLY BADLY ... We're 7 games over 500 (maybe 8 pending tonights game) with less then half the season to go... We're in a playoff spot by 7 points (9 pending tonight) ... Thats a very comfortable lead , we just have to play 500 or slightly worse hockey to make the playoffs... We can do that easily , we can do better then that.  

Hey Puck, you basically just described my Minnesota Vikings season. I wouldn't be counting on the Habs being in the playoffs yet, i have learnt that much over the past month. We have a wonderful chance to make it in, but there is still a lot of work to be done.

Originally posted by rib71

habsworld punked my avatar

Liar! :king:

I saw the 1st, and Bouillon and Ward were great, and what a hit by Saku, too!

Oh, and Guy!, as much as my opinion on Bouillon has changed, he's reallly just a sniff of what Hainsey will become. ;)

Oh, and ZEDNIK! 2 goals in the first 18, and how many since then, 15?!

Originally posted by Quebecois

Hey Puck, you basically just described my Minnesota Vikings season. I wouldn't be counting on the Habs being in the playoffs yet, i have learnt that much over the past month. We have a wonderful chance to make it in, but there is still a lot of work to be done.

We'll the habs arent going to collapse then lose a playoff spot on a total fluke...

But lets think about that scenario.... Last day of the season. Habs need one point to clinch a playoff spot ... We're playing the Penguins , the score is 1-1 with 5 seconds left in regulation ... Steve McKenna takes dump-in shot from centre ice , Theodore juggles it and it slips by him into the net as the clock runs out.... Habs miss the playoffs by one second and one point. ouch

Originally posted by puck7x

We'll the habs arent going to collapse then lose a playoff spot on a total fluke...  

But lets think about that scenario.... Last day of the season. Habs need one point to clinch a playoff spot ... We're playing the Penguins , the score is 1-1 with 5 seconds left in regulation ... Steve McKenna takes dump-in shot from centre ice , Theodore juggles it and it slips by him into the net as the clock runs out....  Habs miss the playoffs by one second and one point. ouch

´

Ouch...this gives me flashbacks from the game between Sweden - Belarus and Salo's idiotic performance in the last minute of play in the quarterfinals in the Winter Olympics '02. :wall:

Originally posted by DJ_Laszlo

Guy!, I just love your postgame wrapups. Very interesting reading for us overseas fans who aren't able to watch the games.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks very much.

Perhaps I should just clean them up a little and make those my post-game reports? (A question for the HW bosses...)

:)

ACF

from the Philadelphia Inquirer

Inquirer link is here

Five-on-five, the Canadiens checked the living daylights out of the Flyers.

"They came to check and they did a great job," Hitchcock said. "Some of their checking frustrated us. We had some success against them earlier, but their attitude has changed."

Yeah, Montreal is nasty now.

"This is not acceptable," team captain Keith Primeau said. "We let them come into our building and dictate the mind-set."

Richard Zednik paced the Canadiens with two early goals. Jan Bulis and Michael Ryder scored in the third period. Simon Gagne ended his 14-game drought by scoring for the Flyers.

On the first power-play goal, Kim Johnsson and Eric Weinrich gave chase behind the net, leaving young Mike Ribeiro and Zednik in front alone for an easy goal on goalie Robert Esche at 8 minutes, 28 seconds of the first period.

On the next power-play goal, in the second period, Weinrich was lured high and Johnsson was alone low as Zednik scored. Weinrich was on the ice for three Montreal goals.