Souray

dyckie.73

after attending both the game vs. Buffalo and Toronto, it is clear that Souray is great on the powerplay but cannot play defense for his life, i say make him the 7th defencemen and try to acquire another D, anyone agreee?

I agree that he is not the greatest defensively, ESPECIALLY on 1 on 1 situations. However, he still needs his playing time. He is a good leader, he sticks up for his teammates, and he can hit. Seperate him from Rivet! That is all you need to do in my opinion. Put him with a more mobile defenseman.

I agree that he is not the greatest defensively, ESPECIALLY on 1 on 1 situations. However, he still needs his playing time. He is a good leader, he sticks up for his teammates, and he can hit. Seperate him from Rivet! That is all you need to do in my opinion. Put him with a more mobile defenseman.

Yeah, I agree. Why are Rivet and Souray paired?

after attending both the game vs. Buffalo and Toronto, it is clear that Souray is great on the powerplay but cannot play defense for his life, i say make him the 7th defencemen and try to acquire another D, anyone agreee?

how about new posters don't start their HW career posting a new thread wherein they advocate trading away our D core. Anyone agreee?

Souray needs some time. He is not a fast skater and has some defensive vulnerablities, but he does get better as the season goes on. It has only been two games and it is too early to talk about dumping him. At times last year, he was one of our most consistent defensemen. Sure, Spezza burned him last year in a highlight reel goal, but that could have happened to lots of big, slow defensemen. I bet you could do that to Chara too.

Am i the only one who thinks people are over reacting? He scores goals and puts up a fine offensive performance, but happens to be weak for the first TWO games and everyone is "TRADE HIM" OMG!!!

Two games. 2.

Not Twenty (20)

The seasons just starting and we're already trashing our players? Come on guys... we're fans and we care about our players and our team, but give the man a chance. If after 15 games Souray hasn't improved his play, then we'll have reason to judge. But don't roast him for a poor defensive perforance in just the first week of play.

Souray needs some time. He is not a fast skater and has some defensive vulnerablities, but he does get better as the season goes on. It has only been two games and it is too early to talk about dumping him. At times last year, he was one of our most consistent defensemen. Sure, Spezza burned him last year in a highlight reel goal, but that could have happened to lots of big, slow defensemen. I bet you could do that to Chara too.

Sort of like how some people dump on Plekanec as not being good enough as a 2nd line center before the season even started?... :D

Crap, someone throw a brick at me to stop my typos.. Old age you know!

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

Souray seems to take a whipping that he doesn't always deserve - in fact paired with Rivet he ends up the goat for many of Rivet's mistakes - a classic example was the opening game against Buffalo.

Briere's goal(if memory serves me right I think it was his) was in fact Rivet's goof. In that instance, because the puck was passed across Souray from his side to a man cutting through the middle, the opposite side defenceman should actually have been cutting in to the middle to pick that man up. If you look closely he wasn't and the result was the fact that a man was free in behind Souray. Yes Souray wasn't perfect on that play, but he's not the cause of that goal - yet a ton of people will blame him incorrectly for that one.....

And there were a couple of goals last year that had people crying for Souray's head, when in fact it had been Rivet who was out of position in the first place, or had missed his cover assignment.

People tend to blame the last guy in the chain of any sequence, when in fact he's only a part of the faux pas that was committed. It goes something like this - a winger moves out of position or is slow to react to a man on the boards with the puck, so the centre & the opposite winger are drawn out of position to compensate, and then the nearest of the defenseman has to come across to cover an opening, which leaves the last defenceman vulnerable - if the puck ends up in the net who do you think most hockey fans will blame? It certainly won't be the first winger who screwed up 'cause they're too busy screaming at the last defenceman to miss the puck!

And as far as Spezza's goal last year on that brilliant move - That was not a case of Souray being bad or any real serious mistake on Souray's part. That was just sheer talent that beat a defenceman - that was an amazing move that beat Souray. Sometimes when you make the right play the opponent also makes the right play and does it that much better than you did...... Spezza beat Souray fair & square on a gem of move thyat time. So chalk one up for the bad guy?

So as far as I'm concerned people need to cut this guy a bit of slack, as he's not that horrendous.

We earned 1.5 pts per game in our 1st 2 games and you are whining trade someone. omg, glad we didn't come out pointless. Relax! Smoke a fatty if you must, but chill, he ain't that bad, and did get a big goal against the leafs.

I'm a new poster, but that doesn't have much to do with my opinion.

Souray has many plusses and many minuses. One of his plusses is that among our D, we have four guys going UFA and Markov and Souray have the most trade value. Markov was notably awful vs. Toronto but is hands down our best D man and I hope he's going to be signed long term. Rivet is a career habs and I hope he's signed long term. Souray is a major asset to our team and we should use him the way the Leafs use McKay on the power play.

I think the future D of the habs is a comlete mystery right now. The season will tell. To state the obvious.

Souray seems to take a whipping that he doesn't always deserve - in fact paired with Rivet he ends up the goat for many of Rivet's mistakes - a classic example was the opening game against Buffalo.

Briere's goal(if memory serves me right I think it was his) was in fact Rivet's goof. In that instance, because the puck was passed across Souray from his side to a man cutting through the middle, the opposite side defenceman should actually have been cutting in to the middle to pick that man up. If you look closely he wasn't and the result was the fact that a man was free in behind Souray. Yes Souray wasn't perfect on that play, but he's not the cause of that goal - yet a ton of people will blame him incorrectly for that one.....

And there were a couple of goals last year that had people crying for Souray's head, when in fact it had been Rivet who was out of position in the first place, or had missed his cover assignment.

People tend to blame the last guy in the chain of any sequence, when in fact he's only a part of the faux pas that was committed. It goes something like this - a winger moves out of position or is slow to react to a man on the boards with the puck, so the centre & the opposite winger are drawn out of position to compensate, and then the nearest of the defenseman has to come across to cover an opening, which leaves the last defenceman vulnerable - if the puck ends up in the net who do you think most hockey fans will blame? It certainly won't be the first winger who screwed up 'cause they're too busy screaming at the last defenceman to miss the puck!

And as far as Spezza's goal last year on that brilliant move - That was not a case of Souray being bad or any real serious mistake on Souray's part. That was just sheer talent that beat a defenceman - that was an amazing move that beat Souray. Sometimes when you make the right play the opponent also makes the right play and does it that much better than you did...... Spezza beat Souray fair & square on a gem of move thyat time. So chalk one up for the bad guy?

So as far as I'm concerned people need to cut this guy a bit of slack, as he's not that horrendous.

Beautiful post Beliveau. Anyone who plays sports and who plays defense knows this compensation concept first hand. It's normally the guy who's sprawling and who looks like a fool that we should be thanking instead of grilling, because it's that guy who is trying to do double duty and make up for someone else's mistake.

Souray is solid and he might even be our captain if Saku isn't.

how about new posters don't start their HW career posting a new thread wherein they advocate trading away our D core. Anyone agreee?

lol i think we should get rid of em all- trade the lot of em- play no defence! only joking ! rivet and souray just need seperating i have seen the highlights from both games- their a bad partnership but individually are both fairly good d men. :hlogo:

As bad as I think Souray has been so far, it's too early to make a move. He can be VERY good when he's on his game....so we need to see if he can get it together defensively in a reasonable period of time.