Season Standouts

umpalumpa55

Who has stood out to you, both in a good or a bad way?

Bad:

Samsonov- he has so much potential, speed and skill...he just doesnt seem to have his head in the game and is trying to do too much with his speed...barring the fact that its early, i have faith he will get his head back on straigt and just play great hockey

Murray- Hes not that bad...just doesnt really do much out there...i would call kostitsyn up

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

umm.... where are your good standouts?

Maybe Koivu running the ice?

Ryder sniping?

Aebi holding down the fort?

But in the end, nothing has stood that far out in 2 games!

This is like a christmas break thread!

Considering it has only been 2 games its really hard to say who has been good and who has been bad.

Who has postively stoodout? Higgins, Huet, Aebischer, Koivu, Ryder and Markov have all been very good.

Bad. Rivet has been suspect, and Souray has been good and bad, but his bads seem to outweigh the good.

I'm also a little dissapointed with Carbonneau for keeping Rivet and Souray together. The two slowest defenceman should be split with two better skating ones. But I give him props for not messing with the lines even though some of them haven't been all that consistent.

It is much too early for me to make such statements. I'd give it 10 games, or one month, before attempting it.

I can say that I thought Abby played fairly well in Saturday's game, and the efforts of Higgins, Koivu & Ryder were obviously huge in Friday's game.

Bad:

Samsonov- he has so much potential, speed and skill...he just doesnt seem to have his head in the game and is trying to do too much with his speed...barring the fact that its early, i have faith he will get his head back on straigt and just play great hockey

Murray- Hes not that bad...just doesnt really do much out there...i would call kostitsyn up

I am wondering if Samsonov would benefit from switching Kovalev and Ryder. Samsonov seems to like to create plays and dish off the puck. Ryder loves to find a spot in the slot and wait for the pass to bang home.

Kovalev likes to carry the play and both Higgins and Koivu are great in the corners fighting for lost pucks.

I think it is worth exploring.

Bad:

Ninimaa- I can see the skill is still there...his head is just up his butt right now...he looks totally unconfident with the puck... i really hope he gets his confidence back as he would be deadly...i think the best solution would be to pair him with markov as his mistakes wouldnt be as noticed and he would be able to build that confidence back....i would say markov is the best bet to pair with someone who isnt feeling confident

Good:

KOIVU: HES GREAT! Im hoping for 30 goals from this guy..hes got the stuff and the new attitude to do it. What eye?

Higgins: Holy shit this guy drank 5 red bull and took horse steroids before the games. I had my doubts about his, always knew he would be solid, but i didnt think he would be a leader or this good as many ppl predicted, wow was i wrong. This guy could get 60-70 pointsn this year...especially with koivu and ryder who looks to be playing better, by his side

Perezhogin: MY BOY!!!! I am so happy this guy has found his motivation. He has so much mojo and potential, not to mention he is a beast now at over 200, and skates like hes on fire. This guy is a spark plug on the third line and allows bonk to play well as ppl are all over zhogs. in the game against the Leafs he had 3 guys on him around the net....pushed through them all and still got a shot off and johnson had an open net. I heard someone say he should replace samsonov on the second line....I AGREE!!

Bonk: He seems better...thats all im going to say for now.

Kovalev: I wasnt gonna put him in either section, but i gotta say he mertits a spot in this section for his work ethic...he seems different this year...i can see how carbo has broken a few motivational barriers with him as he is giving up on pucks alot less than last year..and when his is fighting for it...he usually gets it :D

Dandenault: He seems to be a steady Dman who will be very versitile this year...showing his speed as he is jumping up into the play alot. he is also using his body....which is big....hehe

Huet and Aebisher: both played great...any doubts i have about our goaltending situation have diminished...it is still early on tho so it is not a sign of what is to come

Honorable mentions to Johnson who is playing well, Lats who doesnt look out of place, just building his confidence..which is awesome, Komisarek who is continuing his steady progress (dont think he will be as good as some think tho), and ryder who is....SKATING...FINALLY. Souray is also playing good enough for my approval. and how could i forget Steve Begin...his is how he he always was.

Pal, I agree with a bit and disagree with alot!

1-Murray. he brings alot more to this team than points. He will fight,hits a ton and seems to be liked by his fellow players-enough said.

2-Ninimaa- just got here. Give him time to learn our system.He will be better-no doubt.

3-Higgins.....AWESOME

4-Perez....man is he solid. He hits alot and is pretty quick.Next year will be his breakout year.

5-Bonk...better than last year. Hope he finds his scoring touch though.

6-Abby...looked outstanding in OT and shootout.

7- Huet....give it time. It was only 1 game and we were in it to the end.

8-Johnson- Looked very good. Impressed to say the least.

9-Lats....aimless. He'd better start playing better or he will find himself in the minors after game 9

10-Komi- Hits like a Mack truck and really seems to be more confident. If Souray does get moved, look for him to be a replacement.

11-Begin.....plays 100% every game so no surprise here.

12-Souray...looked ok. We need his shot at the point and his toughness. Needs to be more "at home" in his own end.

All I will say in addition is the 4th line needs work. Lats hasn't earned himself a promotion to 3rd line and if he keep it up he will be sent down-I don't care what Carbo says, if he looks as shit as he did against Toronto he won't be here long(at least not this year).Too bad because I really thought he COULD be a difference. I think he needs to get a home game under his belt. If the fans treat him well(Guy,Guy,Guy) things may change.

Early season???

Come on we've only played 2 games..............I think we need to wait a couple weeks at least to see where everyone stands.

At least let us get in a home game......................................

Standouts:

Good - Koivu, Higgins, Dandenault

Bad - Rivet, Souray, Murray

Nobody else has really stood out in a good or bad way...are somewhere around average for what I'd expect from them.

Season standouts ??? what season ? Have I missed something ?

You mean 2 games into the season let's share some impressions boys and girls and

leave your over the top anal-iste conclusions in the garbage bin.

Impressions ? It's positive all and all.

First I loved watching the game in Buffalo.....quality teams playing quality hockey...I almost didn't care

losing it in overtime......I have hight regards towards BUFF.....but the CH almost spoiled their game-openner and got a point in the bank......cohesion, speed, attack where obviousiously very good and even better when considering it was their first game.

The Toronto game was differently paced altogether and it seems to me that we didn't look our best during that game.....less concentrations, less purposes...and penaltys where back....looked like a classic second game in

a row type game......even thought most are saying that with the great shaped condition of players nowadays it's not supposed to make a difference......but yet again maybe the second game into the season doesn't qualify yet to that description.

The Koivu line is taking full advantage of their previous experiences at playing together while the Plek line

is just taking it's first steps out there and need the time required to become good dancind partners among themselves and with their supporting D cast as well.

It's only two games, all I can say is that I much prefer watching the new forwards in their respective positions accross the lines of our team than with the Ribeiro, Zednick, Bulis and Sundstrom of lore.......it's refreshing

and look's much better to me.

I agree with the guys that are saying this thread should wait 18 more games, but I guess there's no harm in pointing out who has hit the ice skating and who hasn't.

Koivu, Higgins, and Ryder are just on. The chemistry is incredible.

On the complete opposite side of things, watching Samsanov, Plekanec, and Kovalev on the ice is like seeing 3 guys pull a rope in 3 different directions. Often I'll see them in the opposing team's zone and no one is going to the net, ever. If this trend continues for a few more games I'd be partial to try switching Bonk and Plekanec. Why not?

Latendresse hasn't impressed me. Perezhogin has. The defence have been suspect but average for the most part.

There has been a lot to build on though. Go Habs Go

It's too early to start figuring out what players are doing what ... but I did like the fact that after a dissapointing lost to buffalo and coming out flat for 2 periods in the leafs game they dug deep and stole that game from the leafs and got 2 points ... hopefully that can be a good wake up call for the next few games ... they can't let up.

From all of 2 games -

Latendresse invisible, wouldn't surprise if he heads back to juniors

Perezhogin stellar, Carbonneau's lit a fire under this kid

Other highlights

Ryder, Koivu, Higgins

Begin, Komisarek

Need to pick it up

Kovalev, Samsonov

Markov

I've been surprised by how Markov has been strangely ineffective the past two games, and pleasantly surprised by how Mike Komisarek has really stepped it up.

Latendresse invisible, wouldn't surprise if he heads back to juniors

I think latendresse played ok for a 4th liner. give him a break, it's not like he,s going to score tons of goal in his 1st season.

To me Perezhogen and Johnson have looked better than expected, Markov and Samsonov worse, but I expect both to return to form any game now.

perezhogin showed alot of implication during the course of the game, he finished his ckecks and didn'r shy of getting hit. jonhson gave us exactly what we needed.

How can you give an idea on season standouts in 2 games? I swear some of the threads on here lately are quite puzzling? Trading players after there first game, benching people. Now this thread, ugh come on guys.

yep thats the way it goes...get used to it

alot of bitching and whining users...actually thats what pushed me away from the other habs forum i use to be at...sickens me!!!

Edited by habs_in_the_blood